PDA

View Full Version : Nets Make Trade Call To Celtics On Kevin Garnett

phlp_bj
06-25-2013, 10:54 PM
The Brooklyn Nets are pursuing a trade for Kevin Garnett, according to sources.

Garnett is reportedly interested in playing for the Nets.

Garnett would have approved a trade from the Boston Celtics to the Los Angeles Clippers. With the Doc Rivers' deal being approved by the NBA, the Clippers and Celtics cannot exchange players until the 14-15 season.

Garnett has a no trade clause and $24.4 million over the next two seasons on his contract.

With Rivers' departure from the Celtics, the future of Garnett and Paul Pierce becomes uncertain

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/basketball/nets/nets-gm-inquires-kg-desire-head-brooklyn-article-1.1382531

TrAv=MaGiCfReAk
06-25-2013, 10:55 PM
That's cool ... what would go to Boston? Marshon brooks I assume .... what else?

king4day
06-25-2013, 10:56 PM
I hope BKN finds a way to make this happen It'll depend on whether Boston can find a better offer.
I'm sure it'll come down to Brooks, Humphries and a pick maybe.

Jtirado16
06-25-2013, 10:59 PM
Don't see how much better this Makes the Nets but it could be a plus

Chill_Will_24
06-25-2013, 11:03 PM
A lot. Nets biggest issues are interior defense and toughness. They were referred to as soft by many media guys

TrAv=MaGiCfReAk
06-25-2013, 11:08 PM
A lot. Nets biggest issues are interior defense and toughness. They were referred to as soft by many media guys

I agree with this and also I dunno if they would really need him but this may make Pierce's decision harder if he hits FA Via a buyout and he may want to join kg in bk on the cheap instead of doc in la.

Metsboi69
06-25-2013, 11:09 PM
Humps expiring and maybe a pick, that's all I'd be willing to give up.

bholly
06-25-2013, 11:09 PM
fwiw, a 'trade call' is when the two teams get on a conference call with the league to confirm the deal they've agreed to and go through all the salary and contract issues and everything else needed to make it official. makes the title confusing when you use the term for a regular call between GMs to talk about trades. no biggie, just pointing it out.

this could be interesting. also assuming it'll be something based around Humphries and some combination of Brooks and picks. not much else it could be.
it's possible there isn't anything that gets the Celtics interested.

hugepatsfan
06-25-2013, 11:10 PM
Someone suggested this in the BOS forum:

BOS gets: C Andrew Bogut, F Richard Jefferson
GS gets: F Paul Pierce, F/C Kevin Garnett

BOS would be getting a pick, hopefully in 2015. Bogut can never stay healthy. Even KG at his old age is more reliable and Bogut was a FA after the season anyway. GS would still have the cap to sign a max player next offseason even after re-signing Jarret Jack. This lineup would be filthy:

Curry/Jack
Thompson/Draymond Green/Brandon Rush
Pierce/Barnes
Lee/Landry
KG/Festus Ezeli/Biedrins

That team is so loaded.

netsgiantsyanks
06-25-2013, 11:17 PM
oh.

Super.
06-25-2013, 11:19 PM
Brooks and a future 1st?

Eh, we already have a log jam at G and Brooks is average at best

TheNumber37
06-25-2013, 11:19 PM
Why would the Celtics do this?

They've set the bar at Deandre Jordan and multiple firsts. Why would they accept Brooks plus others (Hump) and picks to trade to a division rival? NO.

Kg is probably going West. No trade clause. Who/Where would be play for.

The only place I could see him going to now that the Clippers are out. Spurs.
They can get it done with a package of Splitter, Blair, picks and maybe it takes Danny Green.

But It would be worth it, considering Pierce could find his way there too.

Parker
Paul Pierce
Kawai Lenoard
Garnett
Duncan

WOW

Jtirado16
06-25-2013, 11:20 PM
Someone suggested this in the BOS forum:

BOS gets: C Andrew Bogut, F Richard Jefferson
GS gets: F Paul Pierce, F/C Kevin Garnett

BOS would be getting a pick, hopefully in 2015. Bogut can never stay healthy. Even KG at his old age is more reliable and Bogut was a FA after the season anyway. GS would still have the cap to sign a max player next offseason even after re-signing Jarret Jack. This lineup would be filthy:

Curry/Jack
Thompson/Draymond Green/Brandon Rush
Pierce/Barnes
Lee/Landry
KG/Festus Ezeli/Biedrins

That team is so loaded.

This is a terrible trade for the Celtics. No way that would ever happen. Golden State rapes the C's in this.

hugepatsfan
06-25-2013, 11:26 PM
This is a terrible trade for the Celtics. No way that would ever happen. Golden State rapes the C's in this.

There really isn't a market for either Pierce or KG. We'd be getting a 2015 pick hoping GS can't net a star with their max cap space next offseason so it would be a decent pick. Probably could get Ezeli back in the deal as well. Draymond Green would be in play too I guess. Bogut could be flipped at the deadline for a pick if he shows healthy.

GS gets: Pierce, KG
BOS gets: Bogut, Jefferson, Ezeli, Green, 2015 pick

JOhnnyTHaJet
06-25-2013, 11:28 PM
Honestly wouldnt be too sure what it would take to get him, maybe absorb a contract for Boston?

Something like:

Brooks (or #26 if the Wolves trade for him)
Hump (used more as an expiring than for his abilities)
and a future 2015 first round pick

for

Garnett and Terry (or Lee)

(the money more or less matches up)

His no trade clause always weighs in greatly, if the Clippers trade is dead and the Nets are the only other place he'd be willing to go Ainge may have to do the trade for the benefit of the team .

Jarvo
06-25-2013, 11:33 PM

They've set the bar at Deandre Jordan and multiple firsts. Why would they accept Brooks plus others (Hump) and picks to trade to a division rival? NO.

They can get it done with a package of Splitter, Blair, picks and maybe it takes Danny Green.

Parker
Paul Pierce
Kawai Lenoard
Garnett
Duncan

WOW

Duncan & KG hate each other.

Clippersfan86
06-25-2013, 11:34 PM
KG not interested apparently.

jam
06-25-2013, 11:35 PM
I just hope KG winds up in a situation where he can contribute to a contender.

PS: I'm just lovin' watching KG in his post knee surgery years. Dude is all heart and skill set, minus the freaky athleticism of his days in minny.

I doubt that he will be regarded as a consensus top 15 guy when he retires, but I think he makes the cut based on his superior competitive desire.

JOhnnyTHaJet
06-25-2013, 11:36 PM
KG not interested apparently.
Link?

Clippersfan86
06-25-2013, 11:38 PM
Link?

Well unless it's changed the reports that came out weeks ago said that for both Pierce or KG they either return to LA where they live in the summer, or retire Celtics. Not interested in other situations. Besides what compensation or trade assets do the Nets have? Seems like you guys are barren of trade assets and capped out pretty hardcore for the next 4-5 years.

UPRock
06-25-2013, 11:39 PM
I think that's a good trade, Kris/Marshon/Future pick for Garnett/Terry.

Now its up to Terry to get a Brooklyn tattoo.

Clippersfan86
06-25-2013, 11:40 PM
Mistake.

Clippersfan86
06-25-2013, 11:44 PM
NVM I didn't know he got a 2 year deal. So I guess they might want him as an expiring.

TrAv=MaGiCfReAk
06-25-2013, 11:44 PM
Pretty sure humpries has one more year left

Clippersfan86
06-25-2013, 11:45 PM
Pretty sure humpries has one more year left

Yea double checked and saw after. I could of sworn Nets only signed him to a 1 year deal worth 9 million. Maybe it was a year ago or something.

TrAv=MaGiCfReAk
06-25-2013, 11:49 PM
I could see KG settling to go to Boston now that LA is out ... better retiring if he isn't ready to.... I'd love to see him go to thunder too

RipCity32
06-25-2013, 11:52 PM
Man it's looking like its going to be a fun offseason.Lots of rumors already and we deserve it after that crappy trade deadline.

JerseyPalahniuk
06-25-2013, 11:54 PM
Literally nothing will come of this. It's just a courtesy call for a Hall of Famer. Ainge won't trade to an inter-division rival, Garnett will be 39 by the time his contract ends. Not thread worthy.

*Superman*
06-25-2013, 11:56 PM
Man it's looking like its going to be a fun offseason.Lots of rumors already and we deserve it after that crappy trade deadline.

*insert Trav=Magicfreak's sig*

TrAv=MaGiCfReAk
06-26-2013, 12:08 AM
*insert Trav=Magicfreak's sig*

Lmao supe! I do need a new sig but man that junk was funny...

More-Than-Most
06-26-2013, 12:14 AM
Honestly and its not to troll but to actually ask sincerely... Why do this? Do people actually see the Nets as a contender because I do not

Guppyfighter
06-26-2013, 12:18 AM
Honestly and its not to troll but to actually ask sincerely... Why do this? Do people actually see the Nets as a contender because I do not

They are a good playoff team, but they aren't a contender. But they are already locked into bad contracts. Why not get KG and let it all fall apart at the same time.

TrAv=MaGiCfReAk
06-26-2013, 12:18 AM
If they could swing both pierce and kg then I think they would be solid

Dwill
JoeJ
Pierce
Kg
Lopez
(GWallce 6th man)

Im sure they couldn't trade for both but at least for KG and then possibly sign pierce if he is bought out to a very cheap deal.

JOhnnyTHaJet
06-26-2013, 12:33 AM
If they could swing both pierce and kg then I think they would be solid

Dwill
JoeJ
Pierce
Kg
Lopez
(GWallce 6th man)

Im sure they couldn't trade for both but at least for KG and then possibly sign pierce if he is bought out to a very cheap deal.

Not possible, the Nets wouldnt be able to do it money wise .

JOhnnyTHaJet
06-26-2013, 12:39 AM
I dont understand how

DWill
JJ
Wallace
Garnett
Lopez

with Blatche coming off the bench as a rotational big not be a good-great team (meaning 1,2,3 seed)

Joe and Gerald had horrible years, DWill was hurt a decent amount of the season, and we were a brand new team With all that we still won 49 games. If JJ and Wallace can improve even a little, how is that lineup not a 52-55 win team? I'd certainly call that kind of team a "contender".

bleedprple&gold
06-26-2013, 02:53 AM

Parker
Paul Pierce
Kawai Lenoard
Garnett
Duncan

WOW

The C's didnt even want Deandre Jordan, they wanted the one pick (the other pick was for Doc). They had take him to make the money work. Humphries expiring is better than Jordan for a rebuilding team. Plus if Brooklyn is willing to take back Terry (something the Clips werent willing to do) that helps the C's rebuild process even further and i think makes it better than the Clippers deal. KG/Terry for Brooks/Hump/1st makes sense for both sides. I dont think they can get much more for KG. KG just has to waive his no trade clause which he might as well unless he wants to rebuild in Boston.

krisxsong
06-26-2013, 02:57 AM
That's cool ... what would go to Boston? Marshon brooks I assume .... what else?

If it were to happen, the only real assets that are valuable are MarShon Brooks, Tyshawn Taylor, Toko Shengelia, Mirza Teletovic, and Kris Humphries(10 mill expiring).

The Nets got a ton of calls on Mirza and Shengelia at last year's deadline and didn't deal either so they want to keep those two.

Taylor is our only back up PG.

I'd say this years picks, Brooks, and Humphries but I don't think that gets KG from a division rival.

Knicks21
06-26-2013, 04:07 AM
Honestly wouldnt be too sure what it would take to get him, maybe absorb a contract for Boston?

Something like:

Brooks (or #26 if the Wolves trade for him)
Hump (used more as an expiring than for his abilities)
and a future 2015 first round pick

for

Garnett and Terry (or Lee)

(the money more or less matches up)

His no trade clause always weighs in greatly, if the Clippers trade is dead and the Nets are the only other place he'd be willing to go Ainge may have to do the trade for the benefit of the team .

Lee and Terry arent really fill ins, they are serviceable players in this league that Boston could find better deals elsewhere.

I think Boston would rather just Garnett for a pick and Brooks and Humphries, adding Lee or Terry would be just throwing players away.

Knicks21
06-26-2013, 04:18 AM
I dont understand how

DWill
JJ
Wallace
Garnett
Lopez

with Blatche coming off the bench as a rotational big not be a good-great team (meaning 1,2,3 seed)

Joe and Gerald had horrible years, DWill was hurt a decent amount of the season, and we were a brand new team With all that we still won 49 games. If JJ and Wallace can improve even a little, how is that lineup not a 52-55 win team? I'd certainly call that kind of team a "contender".

Because I like the odds of the Bulls, Pacers and Heat finishing as a higher seed as they would still be better teams. There'd be so little depth, if even one of those players gets injured its kaput.

JOhnnyTHaJet
06-26-2013, 04:48 AM
Because I like the odds of the Bulls, Pacers and Heat finishing as a higher seed as they would still be better teams. There'd be so little depth, if even one of those players gets injured its kaput.

The Heat will more than likely have a better record but the Bulls and Pacers could be pretty close. I'd venture to say they most likely would be higher seeds but lets not forget the Nets and Pacers basically finished with the same record. I understand theyre getting Granger back but I think Garnett still evens that out (especially since it takes double teams away from Lopez).

Something like this seems realistic to me (If Garnett was added):

1.Heat- 62-20
2.Bulls- 57-25
3.Pacers- 55-28
4.Nets- 53-29

bagwell368
06-26-2013, 06:05 AM
I think that's a good trade, Kris/Marshon/Future pick for Garnett/Terry.

Now its up to Terry to get a Brooklyn tattoo.

I'd do that. Getting rid of Terry and his contract/length is a big part of this deal. Nets w/ a bit of luck for the C's could get a pretty decent 1st in 2015, maybe even better if they wait until 2016.

bagwell368
06-26-2013, 06:07 AM
Lee and Terry arent really fill ins, they are serviceable players in this league that Boston could find better deals elsewhere.

I think Boston would rather just Garnett for a pick and Brooks and Humphries, adding Lee or Terry would be just throwing players away.

Must not watch the C's much. Lee played himself out of the rotation, and Terry was mostly brutal all year. Terry has two more years to go for too much money and can't help the Celts win anything. Ship him out. Lee is OK as a 4th guard for a tanking team.

2-ONE-5
06-26-2013, 09:49 AM
you dont help a division rival. Boston can find another team/deal that Garnett will approve

Knicks21
06-26-2013, 10:07 AM
Must not watch the C's much. Lee played himself out of the rotation, and Terry was mostly brutal all year. Terry has two more years to go for too much money and can't help the Celts win anything. Ship him out. Lee is OK as a 4th guard for a tanking team.

Its really, really difficult to play for Doc. Doc never really implemented Terry and Lee into the system, the season was riding on the big 3 and jeff green. Lee was asked to be a spot up shooter with Bradley facilitating, same with Terry, they were asked to be Ray Allen in one of the most dysfunctional offences of any playoff team.

I think both will have better years if they are kept in Boston.

SeoulBeatz
06-26-2013, 10:34 AM
Don't see how much better this Makes the Nets but it could be a plus

even at Garnett's age you can't deny the defensive impact he'd have on any team. Brook and Garnett upfront is a formidable tandem.

bagwell368
06-26-2013, 11:16 AM
Its really, really difficult to play for Doc. Doc never really implemented Terry and Lee into the system, the season was riding on the big 3 and jeff green. Lee was asked to be a spot up shooter with Bradley facilitating, same with Terry, they were asked to be Ray Allen in one of the most dysfunctional offences of any playoff team.

I think both will have better years if they are kept in Boston.

That's quite true for Lee, but Terry had his crack, did well for a time, but, couldn't sustain it - and he's creaky old.

Still they cannot be part of any mid/long term rebuild, so they are just pieces at this point.

29$JerZ
06-26-2013, 12:53 PM
Makes sense for Brooklyn, they are looking for any upgrade.
Makes little sense for Boston though. I don't see them trading KG in the same division, that's like Pierce being a Knick..

celtNYpatsHeels
06-26-2013, 12:56 PM
Realistically the trade would have to include either Humphries or GForce to work

bagwell368
06-26-2013, 12:59 PM
Makes sense for Brooklyn, they are looking for any upgrade.
Makes little sense for Boston though. I don't see them trading KG in the same division, that's like Pierce being a Knick..

Doesn't matter to me. If the Celts tank as they should, then they won't be a threat for 3 years minimum, maybe 4-5. By that time KG and PP will be long gone, and the teams that went for them might be in worse shape because of it in 3-5 years.

I'd trade Rondo and this years #1 to the Heat if the package was right (Bradley & Sully or whomever in an expanded deal if possible). Get 3 #'s in '14, '16, '18, and the crappiest $10M worth of players the Heat have. None of the picks protected, with Wade declining due to health, Bosh never having been a franchise player, and James likely to blow at a time that suits him, those could be huge picks in the long run. I'd happily give the Heat what they want to help us tank more now and give us a shot to stomp the Heat later - with our 1's and theirs as the fuel.

The Celts rebuild is going right if they win 15, 10, 25, 40, 60 games over the next 5 years.

29$JerZ
06-26-2013, 01:08 PM
Doesn't matter to me. If the Celts tank as they should, then they won't be a threat for 3 years minimum, maybe 4-5. By that time KG and PP will be long gone, and the teams that went for them might be in worse shape because of it in 3-5 years.

I'd trade Rondo and this years #1 to the Heat if the package was right (Bradley & Sully or whomever in an expanded deal if possible). Get 3 #'s in '14, '16, '18, and the crappiest $10M worth of players the Heat have. None of the picks protected, with Wade declining due to health, Bosh never having been a franchise player, and James likely to blow at a time that suits him, those could be huge picks in the long run. I'd happily give the Heat what they want to help us tank more now and give us a shot to stomp the Heat later - with our 1's and theirs as the fuel.

The Celts rebuild is going right if they win 15, 10, 25, 40, 60 games over the next 5 years.

Yeah, looking at the Celtic contracts outside of Green (who I assume Boston wants to keep) your only bad contracts are Lee, Terry and Bass.

If you can't dump them off with KG it makes no sense to trade him imo, especially when you can just wait until the trade deadline and give some team a final playoff push and CAP flexibility next year instead of just getting back Brooks.

colinskik
06-26-2013, 01:59 PM
Don't really want to comment on the specifics of the trade or what kind of money it would take going both ways for it to work...

But just think of a front court of Lopez and Garnett ... that's scary good. Garnett covers any defensive deficiencies you incur from Lopez (which is a little blown out of proportion IMO), and with Lopez's offensive skills Garnett can focus on rebounding and hustle plays/intimidation without the worry of having to score. It would definitely make them a force in the division -- that is IF it's even possible for the trade to go down.

On the flip side though, I don't know if I could take Garnett being in an around my neighborhood. I've grew to despise this guy and I'm afraid the feeling is permanent.

IversonIsKrazy
06-26-2013, 06:33 PM
I wonder what KGs price is right now. I wonder if Celtics are even expecting a big return or not. If not, imagine a team like Houston after they sign Dwight, to trade Asik + a young guy + pick for KG. Or warriors S&T Landry. Lakers for gasol. Could be interesting, just throwing random ideas. But im interested to see as to what Celtics are wanting in return for KG this off-season.

mgsports
06-26-2013, 06:49 PM
But no Player Trades have happened yet.