PDA

View Full Version : The New CBA...?

Dade County
06-25-2013, 07:52 PM
How do you guys feel about it? Do you think it's hurting more then it's helping?

If anything, the new CBA has shortened the window for small market teams to keep expensive cores in place. That may ultimately be a good thing if teams gain religion and temper their expectations, but it also closes the window more quickly. If that promotes competitive balance, it also comes at a cost of developing truly special teams.
Some teams like Dallas have already accepted this fact. Rather than bring back the core of a championship team for another Quixotic run, the Mavs stripped down to the bare bones by adding a number of veteran players on one-year contracts. It was a one-year gamble and while it didn’t work on the court, the books are now clear to replenish the roster for another shot with Dirk Nowitzki.
Knowing when a run is over is just as important as propping open a championship window. That’s the new reality and smart teams will think one or two years ahead. In five years' time perhaps we’ll see the true effects of the new CBA, but this year’s small market invasion is little more than a happy coincidence of talent, progressive thinking and good fortune.

Some teams are locked in place, like the Knicks, HEAT, Lakers...etc.

According to the New York Post, the rumors have their roots at Carmelo Anthony's wedding in 2010, where Paul allegedly toasted a future big three with Melo and Amar'e Stoudemire.
Three years later, STAT and Melo have already made it to New York, but with the Knicks over the salary cap, it's going to be virtually impossible for their dream to become a reality.
Though the Knicks are prepared to pay the heavy luxury tax that would welcome them if they land CP3, the big problem is the new CBA. Teams like New York, who are over the luxury tax threshold, will struggle to take part in sign-and-trades.
Couple that with the Knicks' lack of movable pieces, and you have a major obstacle standing in their way.
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1650405-can-ny-knicks-make-a-last-minute-blockbuster-splash-and-land-chris-paul

But I am guessing fans outside of New York are very happy that the Knicks couldn't create their own super team.

Should todays teams have immunity from being compared to past teams/
champions? In another 2yrs, this CBA is going to kick everyone *** that is over the cap (most over the cap past championship teams didn't have to deal with this); and not being able to acquire a player in a sign & trade, makes teams have to just give away some players (trading for draft picks), just to get under the Cap.

That my be good now, but in another 3yrs, when a small market team has made their run; they would have to deal with this same problem (and that fan base will feel the pain of big market fan bases, at that time).

INDIANA PACERS
A small-market success story, the Pacers spent years tearing down a strong but combustible contender and did most of their work through the draft. From Danny Granger to Paul George and Roy Hibbert, the Pacers mined the middle of the first round to find impact players where they don’t usually exist. Steady point guard George Hill was acquired in a draft-day deal with the Spurs for Kawhi Leonard, another mid-round pick.
That’s a credit to scouting and player development and the lesson here is that well-run teams can compete at the highest level if everything goes right and you get a little lucky in the draft. The Pacers have enjoyed a slow and steady rise from first round fodder to the second round and the conference finals, but Indiana is already facing some tough decisions.
Granger missed all season with a knee injury and has another year left at over $14 million. In his absence, George developed into a potential franchise player. Coincidentally he’s eligible for an extension after this season. Indiana can wait a year before extending George and either trade Granger or wait for his deal to come off the books.
It’s a little trickier with David West, who was their lone big free agent acquisition. West is still productive and the conscience of the locker room, but he’s also 32 years old and a free agent after this summer.
How much will Indiana commit to keeping the core in place? There’s a point when a pivotal decision will either put a team over the top or send a small-market team back to the drawing board. That’s where the Pacers are now.
Consider the Thunder, one of the smallest markets in the league. Like the Pacers they were built through the draft, and when the moment of reckoning came Sam Presti shipped out James Harden to get under the tax and maintain flexibility.
In financial terms, the luxury tax affects small market teams much more than their large market brethren, just as it always has. The difference is that the big markets may not be able to recover as quickly from bad decisions, but as long as they can write checks they can kick the tough decisions down the road.

In short, this CBA is made to cripple dynasties (lol, I went to far their)... If this CBA can get free agent Star Players to sign with small market teams, then more power to it; but will that happen?

http://www.sbnation.com/nba/2013/5/21/4350448/nba-lockout-small-markets-heat-spurs-grizzlies-pacers-playoffs

http://www.nba.com/2011/news/features/steve_aschburner/11/26/cba-deal/index.html

NYKalltheway
06-26-2013, 06:44 AM
Lockout just because 82 games are too much... This CBA is pretty decent I guess.

IndyRealist
06-26-2013, 08:14 AM
The new CBA does exactly what it was intended to, take money away from players and give it to owners.

sunsfan88
06-26-2013, 08:21 AM
Lockout just because 82 games are too much... This CBA is pretty decent I guess.

This. 82 games is ridiculous. No wonder old teams like the Spurs run out of gas at the end.

GMpunk
06-26-2013, 08:31 AM
im a Laker fan so... i dont like it

nycericanguy
06-26-2013, 08:42 AM
Don't like it either, NBA free agency sucks... guys are never REALLY free agents. A guy like CP3 comes on the market and he can only go to a handful of teams, most of which suck.

Then you have this bird rights thing... Knicks have done a great job finding hidden gems like Lin, Novak, Copeland, Prigs...etc..., but the CBA penalizes them for this and doesn't allow them to keep the players they worked so hard to find. SO it's like if you find a good player, you are basically showcasing him for another team to sign next year.

the biggest irony was a small market team like OKC having to give up it's star because of the new CBA...ridiculous.

GMpunk
06-26-2013, 08:50 AM
how about a bi-annual sign n trade? or maybe be able 2 trade for teams trade exceptions

FYL_McVeezy
06-26-2013, 09:53 AM
How do you guys feel about it? Do you think it's hurting more then it's helping?

Some teams are locked in place, like the Knicks, HEAT, Lakers...etc.

But I am guessing fans outside of New York are very happy that the Knicks couldn't create their own super team.

Should todays teams have immunity from being compared to past teams/
champions? In another 2yrs, this CBA is going to kick everyone *** that is over the cap (most over the cap past championship teams didn't have to deal with this); and not being able to acquire a player in a sign & trade, makes teams have to just give away some players (trading for draft picks), just to get under the Cap.

That my be good now, but in another 3yrs, when a small market team has made their run; they would have to deal with this same problem (and that fan base will feel the pain of big market fan bases, at that time).

In short, this CBA is made to cripple dynasties (lol, I went to far their)... If this CBA can get free agent Star Players to sign with small market teams, then more power to it; but will that happen?

http://www.sbnation.com/nba/2013/5/21/4350448/nba-lockout-small-markets-heat-spurs-grizzlies-pacers-playoffs

http://www.nba.com/2011/news/features/steve_aschburner/11/26/cba-deal/index.html

I think Star players will always find their way to larger markets....it is why star players align themselves with an agency in particular (LBJ, Melo, CP3, and others alliance with the CAA, KD is now apart of the CAA under Jay-Z's Roc Nation Sports, where does he end up in 2015/16?)

The problem the CAA creates is keeping championship teams together and forming new superteams.....we are seeing that with the Knicks now....If CP3 had the opportunity, he would still probably come to NY....but he can't because of the CBA's rules on S/T when over the Tax apron, and stiff luxury tax penalties

Theyhateme459
06-26-2013, 11:02 AM
Don't like it either, NBA free agency sucks... guys are never REALLY free agents. A guy like CP3 comes on the market and he can only go to a handful of teams, most of which suck.

Then you have this bird rights thing... Knicks have done a great job finding hidden gems like Lin, Novak, Copeland, Prigs...etc..., but the CBA penalizes them for this and doesn't allow them to keep the players they worked so hard to find. SO it's like if you find a good player, you are basically showcasing him for another team to sign next year.

the biggest irony was a small market team like OKC having to give up it's star because of the new CBA...ridiculous.

I agree with this.... OKC was on their way to building a dynasty the old school way through luck & Drafting and have to give up pieces due to cost. Indiana has to make a rough decision on David West which should have been a no brainier for a ascending team like them because of cost.

I'm not a fan of all these moves being made by teams due to $$$ and not always in the best interest of winning. We aren;t feeling it as much right now, but as we get further into this CBA I believe it is going to have a very negative effect of teams and having teams with an identity.

RiceOnTheRun
06-26-2013, 11:38 AM
I agree with this.... OKC was on their way to building a dynasty the old school way through luck & Drafting and have to give up pieces due to cost. Indiana has to make a rough decision on David West which should have been a no brainier for a ascending team like them because of cost.

I'm not a fan of all these moves being made by teams due to $$$ and not always in the best interest of winning. We aren;t feeling it as much right now, but as we get further into this CBA I believe it is going to have a very negative effect of teams and having teams with an identity.

It's honestly so redundant it's terrible. When players play well, they want to get paid well. What's the point of drafting the next KD/Westbrook/Harden when you can't afford to pay all three? Paycuts are the only real way, but when you're coming off your first rookie contract and you likely only have one or two more chances to grab a max contract, it's hard not to want that extra couple million from some other team.

Not to mention the whole Knicks thing, where they do a good job scouting unknown players, only to have the snatched away in FA when other teams see their potential. It's really a shame.

The new CBA does exactly what it was intended to, take money away from players and give it to owners.

Basketball is only growing more and more every year, but owners still want a larger percentage of the profit. I do love my basketball, but when the next CBA discussions roll around I hope the players lock out however long they need to get what they deserve.

lpdunks8
06-26-2013, 12:01 PM
Any system that is not a free market economy is terrible. So, every NBA CBA is bad.

Dade County
06-26-2013, 12:21 PM
I really don't see most organizations trying to keep their teams together, just to have a shot at a title. Only the owners that are willing to be big spenders, will win most of the title's; but hasn't it always been like that ( Lakers!).

And to me, their is no way anyone should even try to compare these teams that have to deal with this CBA, to past teams that played in a total different era.

And I could understand if these players could restructure their contracts in a big way; but I feel that the players union would step in. So a team that is over the cap right now, like the HEAT, Lakers...etc; has to just wait until the contracts or over, or give their players away for draft picks, because you can't sign & trade a player onto your team, because you are over the cap.

They should at least be able to cut players ( players still get their money ), and it doesn't stay on the books/cap. So the Knicks would be able to cut the **** out of stat, and so and and so on.

But in 3yrs, we will see if this system drives all star players to one team only. So maybe everyone can have their 1 star player (whatever that means)... All I see happening is, above average players will be treated like star players; the media will try to fool fan bases and players that shouldn't be getting the max, will benefit off of this new CBA.

Theyhateme459
06-26-2013, 12:38 PM
I really don't see most organizations trying to keep their teams together, just to have a shot at a title. Only the owners that are willing to be big spenders, will win most of the title's; but hasn't it always been like that ( Lakers!).

And to me, their is no way anyone should even try to compare these teams that have to deal with this CBA, to past teams that played in a total different era.

And I could understand if these players could restructure their contracts in a big way; but I feel that the players union would step in. So a team that is over the cap right now, like the HEAT, Lakers...etc; has to just wait until the contracts or over, or give their players away for draft picks, because you can't sign & trade a player onto your team, because you are over the cap.

They should at least be able to cut players ( players still get their money ), and it doesn't stay on the books/cap. So the Knicks would be able to cut the **** out of stat, and so and and so on.

But in 3yrs, we will see if this system drives all star players to one team only. So maybe everyone can have their 1 star player (whatever that means)... All I see happening is, above average players will be treated like star players; the media will try to fool fan bases and players that shouldn't be getting the max, will benefit off of this new CBA.

The NBA has slowly become my Favorite sporting league taking over the NFL... However if/when we get to a point when it's 1 star per team surrounded by a bunch of mediocre players so you have teams with forgettable lineups starting in the Finals is when the NBA will lose me 100%.

NYKalltheway
06-26-2013, 02:46 PM
Any system that is not a free market economy is terrible. So, every NBA CBA is bad.

pretty much this

Dade County
06-26-2013, 09:23 PM
The NBA has slowly become my Favorite sporting league taking over the NFL... However if/when we get to a point when it's 1 star per team surrounded by a bunch of mediocre players so you have teams with forgettable lineups starting in the Finals is when the NBA will lose me 100%.

lol

But the media will make sure those no name players are known! ESPN will just keep saying those players names over and over again, until everyone is brain washed.

bleedprple&gold
06-26-2013, 09:38 PM
It's a necessary evil. Without it nobody would have any chance to compete with the big markets like LA and NY. The nba is star heavy and getting a few of stars is all you need to win. No salary cap works in baseball because there is much more parity and a few stars can't dominate like in basketball. I actually think there might be less parity in baseball with a salary cap because then there would be more controlled spending and you wouldn't see teams like the Yankees and Dodgers spending like crazy for overpriced declining players and they might actually be better teams because of it.

RiceOnTheRun
06-26-2013, 10:27 PM

Parity has never been a part of the NBA. Other than the 70s, every decade was dominated by 1-2 teams. The Lakers and Celtics dominated the 20th century up until the 90s. Bulls dominated that decade. Lakers and Spurs dominated the 2000s and whatever team Lebron's on is set to dominate the majority of the 2010s.

Most fans came into the league when Magic/Bird were battling it out or when Jordan stomped through the 90s. It's what works in a super flashy game like Basketball. Nobody wants to see a group of guys lean on a single player because the rest of them can't hit shots *cough*knicks*cough* it's just frustrating that way and makes you want to tear your hair out. Parity would be better for the middle teams like the Hawks, Bucks but who would actually want to watch a Bucks/Hawks series outside of their respective cities. Superstar lineups are what make this game exciting and you can see the difference in the way teams draft nowadays, going for the possible superstar instead of the guaranteed contributor.