PDA

View Full Version : Memphis hires Dave Joerger as their next head coach

B'sCeltsPatsSox
06-24-2013, 11:59 PM
Kevin Arnovitz ‏@kevinarnovitz 9m
About to file to ESPN. Dave Joerger to be named Memphis head coach.

Hired from within.

Lakers4ItAll
06-25-2013, 12:06 AM
Who?

richiesaurus310
06-25-2013, 12:06 AM
So where's Lionel Hollins gonna end up now that the Nuggets and Clippers have coaches? Any chance he takes a year off and takes a more high profile job next year than what's left now?

beasted86
06-25-2013, 12:08 AM
I hope that cheapskate owner of the Grizzlies never wins a championship.

Chronz
06-25-2013, 12:14 AM
Cheap? Shrewd more like it

Jtirado16
06-25-2013, 12:14 AM
Who?

KnickVeteran
06-25-2013, 12:15 AM
They want a "yes" man basically coaching...Why I'm not surprised?

MrfadeawayJB
06-25-2013, 12:18 AM
http://m.espn.go.com/nba/story?storyId=9419617

Like the move. Players already respect him, and some say he was the brains of the operation behind Hollins

Swift Game
06-25-2013, 12:21 AM
Hired from within.

Who is Dave Joerger?...are they sure they are not mistaking this with a Hockey player?

Memphis with more head scratching moves....

shep33
06-25-2013, 12:37 AM
One thing I'll say is that I am liking all these new coaches who never got a chance before.

The NBA needs new coaching blood

Clippersfan86
06-25-2013, 12:53 AM
So where's Lionel Hollins gonna end up now that the Nuggets and Clippers have coaches? Any chance he takes a year off and takes a more high profile job next year than what's left now?

Hollins said he would absolutely be an assistant this year if he can't get a HC job. Would LOVE him to pair up with Doc in LA.

king4day
06-25-2013, 12:55 AM
Suns fans wanted him earlier in the process. I love this move for Memphis. My guess is, they felt he was the future and didn't want to miss out while paying Hollins a ton of money. If he didn't go to a team this year, he would have been probably the most highly sought after assistant next season.

Supposedly has a very good defensive mind. I believe I read comparisons to Thibodeau

I Am Awesome-O
06-25-2013, 12:56 AM

You clearly have zero knowledge of this situation.

I Am Awesome-O
06-25-2013, 01:02 AM
Who is Dave Joerger?...are they sure they are not mistaking this with a Hockey player?

Memphis with more head scratching moves....

This move was brilliant.

Joerger has won like crazy everywhere he's been - he won more minor league championships than Phil Jackson, Flip Saunders, and George Karl combined. He was the architect of the best defense in the NBA. He served as a mediator between Lionel Hollins and management/player personnel. He already sees eye-to-eye with the new regime as well.

Grizzlies made an excellent choice in resisting the allure of Karl's HOF status. Joerger's gonna be a sweet one.

beasted86
06-25-2013, 01:19 AM

All reasoning is secondary to spending. This owner doesn't want to spend, period.

Whether this assistant really is that good is beside the point. Because if/when he does "earn" a raise, the owner will again not give it to the guy who is deserving of it. Hollins did everything to earn a raise. The fact that the owner didn't even want to negotiate tells me everything was based on money and he didn't want to pay a dime.

I Am Awesome-O
06-25-2013, 01:27 AM
All reasoning is secondary to spending. This owner doesn't want to spend, period.

Whether this assistant really is that good is beside the point. Because if/when he does "earn" a raise, the owner will again not give it to the guy who is deserving of it. Hollins did everything to earn a raise. The fact that the owner didn't even want to negotiate tells me everything was based on money and he didn't want to pay a dime.

Hollins publicly expressed his displeasure with management's decisions on multiple occasions. He didn't get along with multiple players. He hardly spoke to management even when they reached out to him. He even yelled at John Hollinger at practice for talking to Austin Daye while he was shooting around.

If that's how you treated the people in charge of your employment, would you really expect to be retained, let alone given an increase in compensation?

This had nothing to do with money and everything to do with Hollins being a stubborn douche.

beasted86
06-25-2013, 02:02 AM
Hollins publicly expressed his displeasure with management's decisions on multiple occasions. He didn't get along with multiple players. He hardly spoke to management even when they reached out to him. He even yelled at John Hollinger at practice for talking to Austin Daye while he was shooting around.

If that's how you treated the people in charge of your employment, would you really expect to be retained, let alone given an increase in compensation?

This had nothing to do with money and everything to do with Hollins being a stubborn douche.
Okay, let's say all of what you said is true.

Your 2 main franchise pieces, Zach Randolph and Mac Gasol will be 32 and 29 respectively next season. You traded your younger franchise player away for a 33yr old on the decline. This team is in win now mode obviously... With that in mind, if I am an owner who cares about more than just pennies on the dollar, why on Earth would I promote an assistant with no head coach experience to coach my team to a championship right away?

It just doesn't stack up. The owner saw a way to get similar results via a solid assistant, but for cheaper. Whatever Hollins' final lowest number was, the assistant would be willing to take less, period.

A team that is in win now mode usually never promotes from within to a coach with no experience. When Pat Riley stepped down and let Spo take over we were rebuilding. When the Pacers finally decided to boot Jim O'Brien and promote Vogul they were rebuilding.... Let's even take some playoff teams that booted their coach... when the Bulls booted Del Negro for Thibs, they weren't in win now mode, they were a mediocre low seed. When the Hawks got rid of Woodson and promoted Larry Drew they were a mediocre team.

Point is you don't take a team that is a possible contender, with every ability to improve next season, and hire a guy without a lick of HC experience. Just my take. I respect if you see it otherwise.

GunFactor187
06-25-2013, 03:00 AM
Suns fans wanted him earlier in the process. I love this move for Memphis. My guess is, they felt he was the future and didn't want to miss out while paying Hollins a ton of money. If he didn't go to a team this year, he would have been probably the most highly sought after assistant next season.

Supposedly has a very good defensive mind. I believe I read comparisons to Thibodeau

If that's the case, then...oh my...

MrfadeawayJB
06-25-2013, 12:33 PM

Agree with awesome-o this move had NOTHING to do with money. He and management never meshed

Tony_Starks
06-25-2013, 01:02 PM

Ditto.

Next up, give away ZBo. I'm calling it now.

deaner
06-25-2013, 03:48 PM
This move was brilliant.

Joerger has won like crazy everywhere he's been - he won more minor league championships than Phil Jackson, Flip Saunders, and George Karl combined. He was the architect of the best defense in the NBA. He served as a mediator between Lionel Hollins and management/player personnel. He already sees eye-to-eye with the new regime as well.

Grizzlies made an excellent choice in resisting the allure of Karl's HOF status. Joerger's gonna be a sweet one.

But can he deliver a good beat down to his players like Hollins could?

Sadds The Gr8
06-25-2013, 04:02 PM
it's always funny when people assume coaches are gonna be garbage...who was Frank Vogel a couple years ago, and how's that working out? People also said Mark Jackson would be crap and look at GSW.

MrfadeawayJB
06-25-2013, 09:00 PM
it's always funny when people assume coaches are gonna be garbage...who was Frank Vogel a couple years ago, and how's that working out? People also said Mark Jackson would be crap and look at GSW.

Good call Sadler, I hope your right!

Awesome sig btw lol