PDA

View Full Version : Doc Rivers Getting Same Role With Clippers As Greg Popovich Has

Clippersfan86
06-24-2013, 07:00 PM
http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/06/24/doc-rivers-may-run-basketball-operations-for-clippers-in-addition-to-becoming-teams-head-coach/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Interesting. The supposed hold up on an official announcement is that Doc is also going to run basketball operations like Pop does for the Spurs. Like the Spurs.. the Clippers will still have a GM as his boss but he will have far more roster control than the average coach. Is this a good or bad decision? Celtics fans is Doc a good talent evaluation type?

bagwell368
06-24-2013, 07:03 PM
Doc was at his best w/ Coach T as his D Asst.

Doc is very poor at bringing mid season acquisitions into the regular rotations.

Outside of that, he's above average or very good. He's no Pop however.

xxplayerxx23
06-24-2013, 07:12 PM
I think doc is a real good motivater. I think he is a solid coach but yeah I agree he is no coach pop

Clippersfan86
06-24-2013, 07:14 PM
I think doc is a real good motivater. I think he is a solid coach but yeah I agree he is no coach pop

Where is a Pop comparison? Just an article saying he's going to be one of two coaches to have the same GM/Coach type dual role right now.

Guppyfighter
06-24-2013, 07:15 PM
I like the entertainment and contending status the Clippers have. I also like the deals they want to make, because they will be better, but also because they will have a much shorter window to compete.

Clippersfan86
06-24-2013, 07:20 PM
I like the entertainment and contending status the Clippers have. I also like the deals they want to make, because they will be better, but also because they will have a much shorter window to compete.

Well since the KG deal is likely to never happen now I don't think they are that old. Let's say Bledsoe for Afflalo happens.

CP3 (27)
Afflalo (27)
Griffin (24)
DJ (24)

DJ may very well be moved but maybe for somebody only a couple years older since KG is out now. Point being the team has at least a 5 year window if they play their cards right. Not a very old core or anything.

Guppyfighter
06-24-2013, 07:24 PM
Well since the KG deal is likely to never happen now I don't think they are that old. Let's say Bledsoe for Afflalo happens.

CP3 (27)
Afflalo (27)
Griffin (24)
DJ (24)

DJ may very well be moved but maybe for somebody only a couple years older since KG is out now. Point being the team has at least a 5 year window if they play their cards right. Not a very old core or anything.

My post was made assuming they can somehow deal for KG. Which was shorten the window but improve their chances immediately.

Deal isn't likely, but not out of the realm of possibility.

3RDASYSTEM
06-24-2013, 07:25 PM
5 yr window is pretty good with CP3 back in the fold(DOC wouldn't ink unless he knew something)

also in the nba its always a short window, but if you re load after that window expires or right before it does then that keeps that short window flow going to contend

see la and boston for old example, and the only reason boston fell off in 90's was because of the BIAS and LEWIS deaths, they would have carried boston to some more division crowns and possibly FINALS trips

see S.A. and DAL and even POR at one time for new example of teams reloading and retooling around they franchise player to keep the team in ship contention yr in yr out

Clippersfan86
06-24-2013, 07:28 PM
5 yr window is pretty good with CP3 back in the fold(DOC wouldn't ink unless he knew something)

also in the nba its always a short window, but if you re load after that window expires or right before it does then that keeps that short window flow going to contend

see la and boston for old example, and the only reason boston fell off in 90's was because of the BIAS and LEWIS deaths, they would have carried boston to some more division crowns and possibly FINALS trips

see S.A. and DAL and even POR at one time for new example of teams reloading and retooling around they franchise player to keep the team in ship contention yr in yr out

Agree 100 percent. Unless you're like OKC and lock up all your stars when they are 20 years old pretty much everybody has a relatively short window in terms of sticking with the same roster. Like you said teams like SA have just done an incredible job of consistently reloading.

Guppyfighter
06-24-2013, 07:29 PM
It's hard to be the Spurs. It's why they are the only Spurs.

Clippersfan86
06-24-2013, 07:29 PM
My post was made assuming they can somehow deal for KG. Which was shorten the window but improve their chances immediately.

Deal isn't likely, but not out of the realm of possibility.

I'd love the deal even if it shortens our window but with you know who in charge of the NBA and with a personal beef with KG... I think he NEVER will allow it honestly. I'm sure we may try, but likely veto'd. Remember KG was Stern's number 1 enemy in CBA negotiations when KG supposedly cussed him out and got in his face or w/e. Stern is a petty guy.

Guppyfighter
06-24-2013, 07:34 PM
If the Clippers get Affalo or KG, I think this makes them the undisputed third best team in the west. Definitely a title contender with KG though.

Clippersfan86
06-24-2013, 07:39 PM
Also if we get Pierce or somebody better than Butler at SF? Supposedly last month reports came out that it's LAC/Boston or bust for Pierce. Won't consider anywhere else. So if Celtics buy him out this week, I know he's ours for MLE. Hope they don't trade him before that deadline!

Guppy how about

Paul
Afflalo
Pierce
Griffin
KG

6th man: Crawford

Coaches: Doc/Gentry

You think this is a team with even a remote chance at finals?

xxplayerxx23
06-24-2013, 07:41 PM
Where is a Pop comparison? Just an article saying he's going to be one of two coaches to have the same GM/Coach type dual role right now.

Nah I love him as a coach (doc) I just wanted to point tht out lol

Guppyfighter
06-24-2013, 07:42 PM
Also if we get Pierce or somebody better than Butler at SF? Supposedly last month reports came out that it's LAC/Boston or bust for Pierce. Won't consider anywhere else. So if Celtics buy him out this week, I know he's ours for MLE. Hope they don't trade him before that deadline!

Guppy how about

Paul
Afflalo
Pierce
Griffin
KG

6th man: Crawford

Coaches: Doc/Gentry

You think this is a team with even a remote chance at finals?

I believe the Thunder and Spurs will remain better, this team definitely is a finals contender. Better than the Nuggets and Grizzlies.

I would say second round is a near certainty and they can compete with SA/OKC.

Clippersfan86
06-24-2013, 07:51 PM
Nah I love him as a coach (doc) I just wanted to point tht out lol

Agreed Doc is a GENIUS, especially with identifying talent and skillset so Doc won't come close.

Clippersfan86
06-24-2013, 07:53 PM
I believe the Thunder and Spurs will remain better, this team definitely is a finals contender. Better than the Nuggets and Grizzlies.

I would say second round is a near certainty and they can compete with SA/OKC.

Do you think in say 2 years Spurs are still that high? I think it will be down to Clippers/OKC for a couple years with the Warriors and Rockets catching up to them shortly after. I'm almost leaning towards giving DJ one more year under Doc though. I think a great coach MIGHT be able to get so much more out of him.

Guppyfighter
06-24-2013, 07:58 PM
Until Spurs show me they aren't contenders I will think they are that high. And I am really high on Kawhi.

Chronz
06-24-2013, 08:53 PM
How is this so different from Vinnies job with us for awhile?

Clippersfan86
06-24-2013, 09:05 PM
How is this so different from Vinnies job with us for awhile?

Yea this was the case during last summer. Thing is this is designated and an actual title apparently for years to come.

http://bostonherald.com/sports/celtics_nba/celtics_insider/2013/06/rivers_sold_on_new_clippers_but_being_careful_on_c ontract

Check this out Clippers fans. It was Grant Hill on the way out who convinced Doc Rivers to really go for our job. I will never forgive Vinny for the way he disrespected Grant on the way out and managed him this year. Wish he had 1 more run in him.

Cracka2HI!
06-24-2013, 11:18 PM
Yea he is basically taking over for Vinny. For what it's worth I thought Vinny did a great job as GM. I wouldn't have minded keeping him in that role.

arlubas
06-25-2013, 05:18 AM
If all of these moves go through the team is definitely gonna be better. There is no question Doc is a major improvement over Vinny but I would like it if he tried to find a defensive minded assistant to go with him as well, since he was so impressive in his time with Thibbs.

The KG thing seems a bit of a reach at this point but one can only hope. Depending on the moves it will remain to see whether CP3 stays, since from his attitude so far he doesn't seem to favorite us so far. We'll see.

Clippersfan86
06-25-2013, 05:01 PM
Eric Pincus ‏@EricPincus 32s
The Clippers' press release would suggest that Doc has a "senior" position over Gary Sacks - who has same title without the word "senior"

Wow. So he's essentially THE GM and THE head coach. I thought he was going to work under our GM but he's now our previous GM's boss.

Clippersfan86
06-25-2013, 05:03 PM
Ken Berger ‏@KBergCBS 57s
Doc Rivers' compensation agreement states that Celtics and Clippers can't exchange players until the end of the '13-'14 season, source says.

Wow. The league stepped over bounds. Means KG NEVER coming here, can't even deal with Celtics till next summer.

sammyvine
06-25-2013, 05:15 PM
Ken Berger ‏@KBergCBS 57s
Doc Rivers' compensation agreement states that Celtics and Clippers can't exchange players until the end of the '13-'14 season, source says.

Wow. The league stepped over bounds. Means KG NEVER coming here, can't even deal with Celtics till next summer.

I can't imagine doc with the clippers

i always thought he was a boston man and loved rondo....
hmmmm

Clippersfan86
06-25-2013, 05:47 PM
Alvin Gentry meeting with Doc today, favorite for assistant job. Going to be the best coaching staff in the game maybe by the time they fill in the gaps. Where are the people that swore CP3 was a goner?

bholly
06-25-2013, 06:16 PM
@KBergCBS: Doc Rivers' compensation agreement states that Celts & Clips can't exchange players until after 2013-14 season, source says

Marc Stein ‏@ESPNSteinLine 25s
ESPN source says provision DOES include three-team (and more) trades. NO trade exchanging Celtics & Clippers allowed until after next season

Marc Stein ‏@ESPNSteinLine 51s
Provision in Doc's deal does appear to create wiggle room for Pierce or KG to join Clips if they get bought out & hit free agency. But ...

Marc Stein ‏@ESPNSteinLine 2s
But NBA is not yet addressing such hypotheticals, suggesting that a down-the-road signing of Pierce or KG w/Clips would have to be looked at

GMpunk
06-26-2013, 08:45 AM
i think itz a good idea.... and at the end the GM still has the final say.... itz the clipperz way 2 let him think he in charge lol

bagwell368
06-26-2013, 09:25 AM
I can't imagine doc with the clippers

i always thought he was a boston man and loved rondo....
hmmmm

Like many he despises Rondo, and he's a Florida guy.

sammyvine
06-26-2013, 10:24 AM
Like many he despises Rondo, and he's a Florida guy.

No way is that true

Clippersfan86
06-26-2013, 02:15 PM
Press conference now. Foxsportswest website, NBAtv, Fox Sports Prime Ticket, NBA.com

Celtic4LIFE
06-26-2013, 08:24 PM
Too much power for Doc, not a great personnel guy.