PDA

View Full Version : Arron Afflalo For Eric Bledsoe "Expected" Draft Night

Clippersfan86
06-24-2013, 05:17 PM
http://www.orlandopinstripedpost.com/2013/6/24/4460494/2013-nba-draft-trade-rumor-orlando-magic-eric-bledsoe-los-angeles-clippers-eric-bledsoe

Magic are going to have a beast core going forward. Clippers will get a better fit who will be cheaper going forward and should bounce back next to CP3. I hope we at least get a future 1st rounder, Nicholson or something small.

TrAv=MaGiCfReAk
06-24-2013, 05:22 PM
Hope this happens. .. wonder why on draft night though

valade16
06-24-2013, 05:24 PM
I think Bledsoe has a lot of potential to be a top tier PG in the league, it'll be nice to see him get that opportunity. Magic are certainly building the right way; however only time will tell if it pays off.

Clippersfan86
06-24-2013, 05:26 PM
Hope this happens. .. wonder why on draft night though

Draft night is usually when most the offseason trades happen. Clippers and or Magic probably want a couple more days to sort things out and focus on draft before finalizing it.

abe_froman
06-24-2013, 05:29 PM
great deal for the magiic

Chronz
06-24-2013, 05:32 PM
Guess I cant hate on the trade for Dwight yet love this move for the Magic can I..... I hope he doesn't blow up so I can accept dealing him.

Still very interested in seeing how he develops

apet8945
06-24-2013, 05:33 PM
If the deal is Butler + Bledsoe for Afflalo only, I honestly don't think the Clippers should do it. I've been seeing that a lot of Clippers fans like this idea, but I don't see why. I would much rather focus on finding a team to take Butler off of our hands without having Bledsoe as part of the package, re-sign Barnes, strengthen our starting lineup through free agency (or by trading Deandre Jordan) and keep our bench the same, considering our bench was very productive last year.

If we get more out of the deal like Nicholson or a 1st rounder, I may feel differently about it.

2-ONE-5
06-24-2013, 05:37 PM
obviously its a good move for the Magic but im no a big believer that Bledsoe can run point or even provide conssitently good offense. If this deal goes down they cant take Oladipo at 2

ManRam
06-24-2013, 05:38 PM
Bledsoe, Harris, Nicholson, Vucci, Harkless and the draft pick is a fun group of young guys.

I just hope they run into some MAJOR growing pains next year so we don't finish with too good of a record.

HYFR
06-24-2013, 05:41 PM
Bledsoe, Harris, Nicholson, Vucci, Harkless and the draft pick is a fun group of young guys.

I just hope they run into some MAJOR growing pains next year so we don't finish with too good of a record.

They most definitely will have growing pains but they will be fun to watch

TrAv=MaGiCfReAk
06-24-2013, 05:45 PM
obviously its a good move for the Magic but im no a big believer that Bledsoe can run point or even provide conssitently good offense. If this deal goes down they cant take Oladipo at 2

??? This makes no sense.... This trade would almost guarantee the magic take oladipo or mclemore, they would be trading away there starting sg so then oladipo or Bmc would take his place ... I'd prefer oladipo

Bledsoe
Oladipo
Harkless
Harris
Vuc

Fun young team to watch for me

macc
06-24-2013, 05:46 PM
I just think the trade makes to much sense for both teams for it not to happen. Bledsoe can be that future PG for the Magic that they need to replace Nelson and Afflalo can be that solid two way experienced SG who can be that 3rd scoring option. Win/win for both teams

ManRam
06-24-2013, 05:48 PM
Yeah, I think it's a great trade for both teams. I'm a big Afflalo believer though...when he's not forced to be a #1 option like he was in Orlando. As a 3rd or 4th option like he'll now be he's a great guy to have. A definite upgrade for them.

mgsports
06-24-2013, 05:51 PM
Lamb at SG. This all depends on what Cavs do at 1 and if some team comes in with a better offer for Bledsoe like Pacers who could offer Granger or Bulls Deng

RLundi
06-24-2013, 05:52 PM
??? This makes no sense.... This trade would almost guarantee the magic take oladipo or mclemore, they would be trading away there starting sg so then oladipo or Bmc would take his place ... I'd prefer oladipo

Bledsoe
Oladipo
Harkless
Harris
Vuc

I think he means because of the lack of perimeter shooting. I think McLemore would be a better fit, team-wise but I'm perfectly fine with Oladipo.

macc
06-24-2013, 05:55 PM
Lamb at SG. This all depends on what Cavs do at 1 and if some team comes in with a better offer for Bledsoe like Pacers who could offer Granger or Bulls Deng

Ok relax there. Why would either of those teams do that? Bledsoe has potential, but Granger is a "proven" player in this league who has averaged over 25ppg one year. If i'm Indiana I want something more then just Bledsoe. Also George is leading them just fine. Indiana makes no sense.

Same with Chicago, why would they trade Deng, there #2#3 guy for a back up pg, since they already have Rose? Think......THEN post.

Clippersfan86
06-24-2013, 05:58 PM
Ok relax there. Why would either of those teams do that? Bledsoe has potential, but Granger is a "proven" player in this league who has averaged over 25ppg one year. If i'm Indiana I want something more then just Bledsoe. Also George is leading them just fine. Indiana makes no sense.

Same with Chicago, why would they trade Deng, there #2#3 guy for a back up pg, since they already have Rose? Think......THEN post.

Granger for Bledsoe has already been discussed. Indiana is interested. Thing is Granger is major injury prone lately so I'd prefer younger Afflalo.

UPRock
06-24-2013, 06:06 PM
Great deal for Orlando, now they can focus in filling the void at SG.

tr3ymill3r
06-24-2013, 06:10 PM

Bledsoe
Oladipo
Harkless
Harris
Vuc

With a lot of losses.

bleedprple&gold
06-24-2013, 06:11 PM
If we get more out of the deal like Nicholson or a 1st rounder, I may feel differently about it.

You're not getting Afflalo AND a 1st for Bledsoe. Sorry not happening.

TrAv=MaGiCfReAk
06-24-2013, 06:14 PM
I think he means because of the lack of perimeter shooting. I think McLemore would be a better fit, team-wise but I'm perfectly fine with Oladipo.

Ah that makes more sense

TrAv=MaGiCfReAk
06-24-2013, 06:17 PM
With a lot of losses.

Hope so ... this Is a rebuilding team loses are welcome ESP with the 2014 draft class

Lol good job trying to take a jab at me though

Joshtd1
06-24-2013, 06:18 PM
Not familiar with Jameer's contract..but if this happens does this make Jameer a prime trade target? Who would start?

ManRam
06-24-2013, 06:20 PM
With a lot of losses.

Hopefully. You act as if that's a bad thing.

TrAv=MaGiCfReAk
06-24-2013, 06:21 PM
Nelson has 2 years left but the 2nd year is a team option so he is like an expiring this coming year

I'd hope we would move him and allow bledsoe to start

Rivera
06-24-2013, 06:23 PM
Pleaseeeee that would be great

bleedprple&gold
06-24-2013, 06:24 PM
Not familiar with Jameer's contract..but if this happens does this make Jameer a prime trade target? Who would start?

I think so. Jameer has 2 years and about $16.6 mil left on his deal, but the 2nd year is a team option. If nothing else, he could have value as an expiring contract.

ManRam
06-24-2013, 06:26 PM
It's not quite a team option in that his 2014-2015 contract is half guaranteed. He can be bought out for $4M after this year, which isn't too bad.

Harrington also has a half-guaranteed contract for this year and next. So he's not as immovable as it might look.

apet8945
06-24-2013, 06:30 PM
You're not getting Afflalo AND a 1st for Bledsoe. Sorry not happening.

I'm not expecting it to happen. I don't want this deal to go through at all. Bledsoe is worth more to this team than Afflalo will be not because one or the other is the better player, but because the Clippers can find a way to get a good starting SG without having to give up Bledsoe. I would much rather Bledsoe be our starting SG if it comes to that, and focus on our other problem areas. The SG spot was not the Clippers biggest problem last year.

TrAv=MaGiCfReAk
06-24-2013, 06:31 PM
Nelson and Harrington won't be here past another year .... Turk can be bought out anytime for 6mil.... afflalo may be traded very soon.

That leaves baby Davis as the only longer term deal we have to really worry about

mgsports
06-24-2013, 06:31 PM
No Nelson can stay. Bledsoe can play SG for the Bulls and for Pacers can backup Hill and Lance.
Throw in Jordan for Hedo then you solve SF.

TrueFan420
06-24-2013, 06:32 PM

The bulls could make sense tho. Rose is coming off an injury, trading deng saves money, they have a notoriously cheap owner and frees up room for jimmy to start at the 3.

That said don't see a trade with the bulls happening.

TrAv=MaGiCfReAk
06-24-2013, 06:34 PM
No Nelson can stay. Bledsoe can play SG for the Bulls and for Pacers can backup Hill and Lance.
Throw in Jordan for Hedo then you solve SF.

Haha this guy has the WORST ideas... lmao

I'm ashamed to know he is a magic fan lol

2-ONE-5
06-24-2013, 06:49 PM

Bledsoe
Oladipo
Harkless
Harris
Vuc

need a bigger offensive threat than Oladipo is Bledsoe is running point. McClemore fits better

MagicBucsSox
06-24-2013, 06:55 PM
@stevekylerNBA: Magic have been agressive in looking at trades in addition to draft prospects. Bledsoe package could be part of bigger deal.

Could Orlando then move Bledsoe?

TrueFan420
06-24-2013, 06:57 PM
Could Orlando then move Bledsoe?

Maybe but it could also mean that their are gonna be more teams involved

Cracka2HI!
06-24-2013, 07:03 PM
I'm not expecting it to happen. I don't want this deal to go through at all. Bledsoe is worth more to this team than Afflalo will be not because one or the other is the better player, but because the Clippers can find a way to get a good starting SG without having to give up Bledsoe. I would much rather Bledsoe be our starting SG if it comes to that, and focus on our other problem areas. The SG spot was not the Clippers biggest problem last year.

I don't disagree but I think it's going to happen. Afflalo should actually be a big upgrade IMO. SG isn't a weak position for us, but we will look a lot better on he wings with Crawford and Afflalo closing games than we were last year. Not sure what kind of big Bled could net us. The time to trade him is now. Afflalo may be the best we can do.

mgsports
06-24-2013, 07:10 PM
This how it could be expand Sac gives Cousions/Salmons to the Cavs for the first pick,Waiters goes to the Magic,Davis or Harrington and second pick to the Cavs?

MagicBucsSox
06-24-2013, 07:15 PM
Sac gives Cousions/Salmons to the Cavs for the first pick,Waiters goes to the Magic,Davis or Harrington to the Cavs

Lmao why would we want waiters? When we're in position to draft two guys better than him

flgatorsandjags
06-24-2013, 07:18 PM
Sac gives Cousions/Salmons to the Cavs for the first pick,Waiters goes to the Magic,Davis or Harrington to the Cavs

LOL, No^

this makes sense for both teams hopefully it goes down

apet8945
06-24-2013, 07:21 PM
I don't disagree but I think it's going to happen. Afflalo should actually be a big upgrade IMO. SG isn't a weak position for us, but we will look a lot better on he wings with Crawford and Afflalo closing games than we were last year. Not sure what kind of big Bled could net us. The time to trade him is now. Afflalo may be the best we can do.

The Clippers FO has to be a little smarter imo. First off, they can't assume that Chris Paul will re-sign. We should not even think of trading Bledsoe until Paul signs. Second, we can't assume that Paul Pierce will be bought out and will come sign with us.

If we trade Butler and Bledsoe for Afflalo, who becomes our starting SF? Third, I would want Bledsoe as insurance if Paul gets hurt. Fourth, we always have Chauncey in our back pocket. He could start for us at SG or he could backup Paul, both at a veteran's minimum contract. I just think it's better to focus on getting a better SF and Center than a SG. Afflalo isn't netting us a championship, especially if we're gonna be blowing up our bench in the process.

bleedprple&gold
06-24-2013, 07:22 PM

Bledsoe needs to be moved our he's going to walk after this year. CP3 and Bledsoe backcourt is too small. Who do you expect to get at SG that's better without giving up Bledsoe?

MagicBucsSox
06-24-2013, 07:39 PM
@stevekylerNBA: RT @jasonk0823: afflalo for bledsoe a fair trade for both sides? ---> Its gonna be more than that changing hands, if they reach a deal.
@stevekylerNBA: RT @jasonk0823: @stevekylerNBA ---> There are going to be some hefty contracts moved and the Magic are in a position to play middle man.interesting things could be brewing

mgsports
06-24-2013, 07:50 PM
Nelson will be Team Captain after Trade gets done. Minnesota and Nets could be the other teams because Brooks to Minnesota for one of it's PG and Derek Wiliams to the Magic for the 2 pick and Humphries to the Clips for their pick in the first round. Hedo could also go to the Nets.

shep33
06-24-2013, 07:55 PM
Great trade for both teams. Clips would essentially be maxed out with a deal like this. Afflalo is still owed around 23 mill over the next 3 years. The last piece they could move is DJ, but after that their assets are pretty slim.

They're going for it all right now and it's the right play.

Orlando is a huge winner here too. Bledsoe is a legit player in this league

apet8945
06-24-2013, 08:39 PM
Bledsoe needs to be moved our he's going to walk after this year. CP3 and Bledsoe backcourt is too small. Who do you expect to get at SG that's better without giving up Bledsoe?

Free agency. There are a number of good SG's in the open market. And like I said, the SG spot wasn't a problem. Willie Green and Crawford with a little bit of Chauncey thrown in did a good enough job last year. The problems lie in the SF and C positions. The Clippers should be focusing on improving those areas while trying their best to keep the bench the same as last year. That may or may not be possible, but getting Afflalo alone while giving up Bledsoe and Butler isn't a step in the right direction.

Now if we get more assets in the trade, then it's a different story.

Chronz
06-24-2013, 08:54 PM
If the deal is Butler + Bledsoe for Afflalo only, I honestly don't think the Clippers should do it. I've been seeing that a lot of Clippers fans like this idea, but I don't see why. I would much rather focus on finding a team to take Butler off of our hands without having Bledsoe as part of the package, re-sign Barnes, strengthen our starting lineup through free agency (or by trading Deandre Jordan) and keep our bench the same, considering our bench was very productive last year.

I hope we take a wait and see approach. No need to make a rushed trade.

Chronz
06-24-2013, 08:57 PM

May as well wait to play some games and revisit this then, no?

apet8945
06-24-2013, 09:10 PM
I hope we take a wait and see approach. No need to make a rushed trade.

Definitely. There are many avenues the Clippers can take to improve the roster, without having to let go of their prized asset just yet. I just want the Clippers FO to improve the starting lineup while keeping the bench the same. If they can do that, the Clippers will be championship contenders.

bleedprple&gold
06-24-2013, 09:17 PM
Free agency. There are a number of good SG's in the open market. And like I said, the SG spot wasn't a problem. Willie Green and Crawford with a little bit of Chauncey thrown in did a good enough job last year. The problems lie in the SF and C positions. The Clippers should be focusing on improving those areas while trying their best to keep the bench the same as last year. That may or may not be possible, but getting Afflalo alone while giving up Bledsoe and Butler isn't a step in the right direction.

Now if we get more assets in the trade, then it's a different story.

I don't think you were any worse off with Butler + Barnes at SF than an old and injured Billups + Crawford + Green at SG. Frankly, you can use upgrades at both positions so you should take whoever's available and Afflalo is available. Now if you could get Granger instead that would be a better move, or Pierce without giving anything up, but those aren't a sure thing like Afflalo is. The Magic want this trade done but draft night so they can decide who they want to pick. It's nice to have a player like Bledsoe coming off the bench, but like I said you need to trade him now or risk losing him for nothing later.

smith&wesson
06-24-2013, 09:25 PM
good trade for both teams.

HouRealCoach
06-24-2013, 09:34 PM
With a lot of losses.

great thing for Magic

Wade n Fade
06-24-2013, 09:40 PM
I don't like this deal for the Clippers. Bledsoe is a legit PG to keep just in case CP3 doesn't resign. Affalo's 3 point percentage was bad and his #'s went up on a bad Orlando squad. The LAC system last season had Jamal Crawford doing well at the 2. You also have Willie Green at the 2 as well. Idk who is the Clippers GM, but he has been linked to some bad moves at times.

TrAv=MaGiCfReAk
06-24-2013, 09:59 PM
Afflalo had one of his worst years last year bro how were his stats up?

He is a better 3rd or 4th option, not a first option like he was last year in orlando.

apet8945
06-24-2013, 10:22 PM
I don't think you were any worse off with Butler + Barnes at SF than an old and injured Billups + Crawford + Green at SG. Frankly, you can use upgrades at both positions so you should take whoever's available and Afflalo is available. Now if you could get Granger instead that would be a better move, or Pierce without giving anything up, but those aren't a sure thing like Afflalo is. The Magic want this trade done but draft night so they can decide who they want to pick. It's nice to have a player like Bledsoe coming off the bench, but like I said you need to trade him now or risk losing him for nothing later.

Well sure we can use upgrades at both positions. But when you can make upgrades at the position without having to give up anything valuable, you do would do it. It's not like this is a once in a lifetime chance to get a star caliber player. We're talking about Afflalo, who is a good player, but not worth making rash decisions over.

Every team in the league would be interested in acquiring Bledsoe via trade. If Orlando is going to give the Clippers until draft night to make a decision then the Clippers and Magic shouldn't be negotiating at all. The Clippers FO needs to chill a little bit and sit back until a few more things become apparent. Like what will the soft cap be? Is Pierce going to get bought out? How much time needs to lapse before we can get Garnett in a trade, if at all? The Clippers shouldn't make a move just for the sake of making a move. If we don't end up dealing with Orlando cause we didn't meet their deadline, then we'll go trade with one of the other 28 teams in the league and/or bolster our lineup through free agency.

Also, we can hold on to Bledsoe all the way until the trade deadline before finally deciding whether or not we should trade him. His value won't drop.

Wade n Fade
06-24-2013, 10:34 PM
Afflalo had one of his worst years last year bro how were his stats up?

He is a better 3rd or 4th option, not a first option like he was last year in orlando.

His scoring was up to 17.6 a game I think? That's what I meant by up.

bleedprple&gold
06-24-2013, 10:53 PM

Well sure we can use upgrades at both positions. But when you can make upgrades at the position without having to give up anything valuable, you do would do it. It's not like this is a once in a lifetime chance to get a star caliber player. We're talking about Afflalo, who is a good player, but not worth making rash decisions over.

Every team in the league would be interested in acquiring Bledsoe via trade. If Orlando is going to give the Clippers until draft night to make a decision then the Clippers and Magic shouldn't be negotiating at all. The Clippers FO needs to chill a little bit and sit back until a few more things become apparent. Like what will the soft cap be? Is Pierce going to get bought out? How much time needs to lapse before we can get Garnett in a trade, if at all? The Clippers shouldn't make a move just for the sake of making a move. If we don't end up dealing with Orlando cause we didn't meet their deadline, then we'll go trade with one of the other 28 teams in the league and/or bolster our lineup through free agency.

Also, we can hold on to Bledsoe all the way until the trade deadline before finally deciding whether or not we should trade him. His value won't drop.

Saying every team in the league would be interested in acquiring Bledsoe is a bit of an overstatement. I guarantee you he is looking for a starting gig and starters money so that pretty much rules out every team with a good young starting PG which is actually most teams in the league. The Magic have a young up and coming core with an aging PG in Nelson that is on his way out, so perfect situation for him.

I can certainly understand where the Clippers FO is coming from. They want to take the sure thing while its available. But if he doesnt get sent to the Magic they will still be able to move him at some point so its not a huge loss if it doesnt get done. But the only problem with waiting till the trade deadline is you lose leverage. If everyone knows the Clippers are desperately trying to move him then they are going to get lowball offers so it would essentially be just like his value had dropped.

mrblisterdundee
06-24-2013, 11:06 PM
Afflalo proved himself a decent starting shooting guard, regardless of his troubles in Orlando. It's probably a fair trade.

Cracka2HI!
06-24-2013, 11:08 PM

Now if we get more assets in the trade, then it's a different story.I look at Afflalo as the upgrade at SF. He's short for SF but he and Crawford would close out most games and play 30 mpg. We wouldn't rely on our bench as much and having Afflalo out there closing games at the 3 is better than Bledsoe IMO. I think Afflalo would be very good on the Clipps. I think that where we aren't seeing eye to eye. You do have me believing that we shouldn't just make this deal now. There could be something better out there. Hell I can see Orlando dumping Afflalo's salary for Butlers if no one else will take his contract.

As for Center, it looks like we are going to have to count on DJ's improvement or improve by trading him. There isn't much out there out at Center realistically.

May as well wait to play some games and revisit this then, no?I don't know about waiting until the season, but yea making this trade by draft day might be jumping the gun. Orlando is the team that needs to get this done because they most likely want a SG at #2.

I don't like this deal for the Clippers. Bledsoe is a legit PG to keep just in case CP3 doesn't resign. Affalo's 3 point percentage was bad and his #'s went up on a bad Orlando squad. The LAC system last season had Jamal Crawford doing well at the 2. You also have Willie Green at the 2 as well. Idk who is the Clippers GM, but he has been linked to some bad moves at times.

Linked to? Sure. Name a bad move the Clippers have made in the last 4 years?

mgsports
06-24-2013, 11:50 PM
If Cleveland or another team comes up to 1 to take Victor O. The Magic might decide to Trade pick for a Veteran.

Jtirado16
06-24-2013, 11:52 PM
Woow that'd be huge for the Magic!

Method28
06-25-2013, 01:43 AM
Clippers front office HAVE to make the Bledsoe deal count as it's one of their last trading chips. They have to make sure they're upgrading their team or face the possibility that this team is close to as good it's gonna get. If they feel Afflalo will make that kind of impact then they should go for it.

IgglesFanInCO
06-25-2013, 02:19 AM
As a Denver fan who loved watching Afflalo I must say this would be great for the Clips, Afflalo fits PERFECTLY with them

He is a 3pt shooter with some of the best perimiter D you will find, good at rebounding for his and a culture changing level character guy/hard worker

His weakness lies in being forced to be a top option like in orlando and being forced to handle the ball excessively, he is a capable ballhandler but does not have the consistent ability to make his own shot or be a top playmaker

So in all, without talking about star guards i think Afflalo is possibly the best(or one of the best) possible fits next to CP3 as a 3rd/4th option and they need that 2 guard

Ive honestly at times considered if getting iggy was worth giving up afflalo, he is truly one of my favorite guys to watch

martin_108
06-25-2013, 02:29 AM
Makes clippers a contender I think imagine
Cp3
Crawford
Afflalo
Blake
Jordan
Although it comes down to if Jordan works on his gamme and Blake continues to improve

MagicBucsSox
06-25-2013, 02:50 AM
If Cleveland or another team comes up to 1 to take Victor O. The Magic might decide to Trade pick for a Veteran.

No

arlubas
06-25-2013, 03:09 AM
This is a very good trade for us and the Magic as well. Afflalo is definitely more suited to be a starting guy on a contending squad, rather than being the man for a losing team (or any other team for that matter). Very good defender, solid shooter and can be a threat in the offensive end, when defenses don't concentrate on him. Plus we unload Caron Butler who is declining real fast.

As for the Magic, they get their potential star in Bledsoe,even though after last season with us and getting thrown in the starting spot when CP3 was out I have my doubts he has the potential everyone thinks he has. At this point he seems more suited to have the 1st man off the bench role for a good to great team.

apet8945
06-25-2013, 03:17 AM
I look at Afflalo as the upgrade at SF. He's short for SF but he and Crawford would close out most games and play 30 mpg. We wouldn't rely on our bench as much and having Afflalo out there closing games at the 3 is better than Bledsoe IMO. I think Afflalo would be very good on the Clipps. I think that where we aren't seeing eye to eye. You do have me believing that we shouldn't just make this deal now. There could be something better out there. Hell I can see Orlando dumping Afflalo's salary for Butlers if no one else will take his contract.

The Clippers need to play the waiting game for right now. They should wait to see what happens with Paul Pierce, because Pierce will come to the Clippers if he gets bought out.

In the meantime, they should be negotiating with a team that has enough cap space to absorb Butler's contract for a 2nd rounder. If they find one, make the trade happen and shed 8 million in salary. I mean, the Cavs are offering 2 2nd rounders for Pierce who makes 15 million for 2 years. We could probably convince the Cavs or another team to take Butler at 8 million expiring for just 1 2nd rounder and they'd do it.

So dump Butler, then don't exercise the option on Willie Green so his contract comes off the books as well. If these two moves happen, we will be underneath the soft cap.

Now assuming Paul's salary for next year is 21 million and the soft cap is set at 58.5 million (which is what its projected as), those two moves will put us under the cap by roughly 2.3 million. We use that little space we have and sign Barnes to a normal contract without using the MLE or anything. I'm pretty sure we can go over the cap to sign him if necessary since he played with us last year. If we can sign Barnes to a normal contract and still have the MLE to work with, we're in the driver's seat.

The numbers are very rough though since I'm just estimating Paul's salary and the actual cap limit. We may have more or less than 2.3 in cap space. But the basic idea is sign Barnes while still keeping our two valuable resources, Bledsoe and the MLE. Then proceed to bolster the lineup.

Mcdoh
06-25-2013, 03:33 AM
this will be good for both teams..

mgsports
06-25-2013, 07:58 AM
Jimmer F? It would just cost the Magic their Second Round Pick.

MagicBucsSox
06-25-2013, 09:52 AM
Jimmer F? It would just cost the Magic their Second Round Pick.

No

eternal slumber
06-25-2013, 10:29 AM
so this deal likely is being done because they have already been assured by CP3 that he would resign with them?

Clippersfan86
06-25-2013, 11:03 AM
http://www.orlandopinstripedpost.com/2013/6/25/4462646/nba-trade-rumors-eric-bledsoe-orlando-magic-andrew-nicholson-los-angeles-clippers

We would also be getting Nicholson and a future 1st. Makes sense for those of us that agreed value wise, straight up it wasn't fair.

C_Mund
06-25-2013, 11:44 AM
Draft night is usually when most the offseason trades happen. Clippers and or Magic probably want a couple more days to sort things out and focus on draft before finalizing it.

Indeed, also you don't want to make a trade involving a pick without knowing who will be available. A lot of these verbal agreements are probably formed like "If X player is picked before our slot, we'll make the trade"

Clippersfan86
06-25-2013, 12:00 PM
Indeed, also you don't want to make a trade involving a pick without knowing who will be available. A lot of these verbal agreements are probably formed like "If X player is picked before our slot, we'll make the trade"

Yea great point. That almost always happens. Which is why last year I was like uh why the fu** are we drafting a Euro project when we need help now? Then it was announced that it was a part of the Mo Williams, Lamar Odom trade.

ManRam
06-25-2013, 12:02 PM
I think Afflalo, Nicholson and a future first is too much for my liking. But I like Bledsoe less than most Magic fans seem to.

Clippersfan86
06-25-2013, 12:12 PM
I think Afflalo, Nicholson and a future first is too much for my liking. But I like Bledsoe less than most Magic fans seem to.

No draft pick is fair too. A very protected first in 2-3 years isnt a huge deal.

Stinkyoutsider
06-25-2013, 12:16 PM
This seems like a solid move from the Clippers to move Bledsoe when Paul is going to continue to eat up most of those minutes, but I would try to hold off on this deal until after the draft imo.

No knock on Afflalo because he's a great glue guy type player and would be a fit for a team looking to compete for a title, but I would rather move Bledsoe for a wing player who can create their own shot (and possibly create shots for others). I think they rely too much on Paul to create for everyone and having a wing who could take the load off of him will help the entire team.

Not sure if Afflalo can do this but I know that he's an all around solid player.

MonroeFAN
06-25-2013, 12:31 PM
Why would LAC do this?

5ass
06-25-2013, 12:40 PM
No draft pick is fair too. A very protected first in 2-3 years isnt a huge deal.

its probably going to be one of the 1sts we got from the dwight trade. I agree with Manram though, i think its a bit too much.

2-ONE-5
06-25-2013, 12:51 PM

agreed. i think Nicholson is gonna be a pretty decent player

richiesaurus310
06-25-2013, 02:11 PM
Why would LAC do this?

A shooter who can play defense is a need for the Clippers. Plus the Clippers are gonna lose Bledsoe after this season anyways, and Caron Butler's contract is expiring also. They'd be trading for their starting shooting gaurd. Plus he's from Los Angeles, and went to school at UCLA. This makes since to get Afflalo.

bleedprple&gold
06-25-2013, 02:41 PM
The Clippers need to play the waiting game for right now. They should wait to see what happens with Paul Pierce, because Pierce will come to the Clippers if he gets bought out.

In the meantime, they should be negotiating with a team that has enough cap space to absorb Butler's contract for a 2nd rounder. If they find one, make the trade happen and shed 8 million in salary. I mean, the Cavs are offering 2 2nd rounders for Pierce who makes 15 million for 2 years. We could probably convince the Cavs or another team to take Butler at 8 million expiring for just 1 2nd rounder and they'd do it.

So dump Butler, then don't exercise the option on Willie Green so his contract comes off the books as well. If these two moves happen, we will be underneath the soft cap.

Now assuming Paul's salary for next year is 21 million and the soft cap is set at 58.5 million (which is what its projected as), those two moves will put us under the cap by roughly 2.3 million. We use that little space we have and sign Barnes to a normal contract without using the MLE or anything. I'm pretty sure we can go over the cap to sign him if necessary since he played with us last year. If we can sign Barnes to a normal contract and still have the MLE to work with, we're in the driver's seat.

The numbers are very rough though since I'm just estimating Paul's salary and the actual cap limit. We may have more or less than 2.3 in cap space. But the basic idea is sign Barnes while still keeping our two valuable resources, Bledsoe and the MLE. Then proceed to bolster the lineup.

That's going to be difficult. Since Barnes only played 1 year with you guys the most you can offer is the Non-Bird exception or 120% of his last year's salary, or about $1.5 mil/yr with 4.5% raises up to 4 years. I can definitely see other teams offering more than that, so it may take digging into the MLE to keep Barnes.

flgatorsandjags
06-25-2013, 02:59 PM
its probably going to be one of the 1sts we got from the dwight trade. I agree with Manram though, i think its a bit too much.

It does seem a bit much

Dodgers99
06-25-2013, 03:04 PM
so this deal likely is being done because they have already been assured by CP3 that he would resign with them?

Probably. I don't imagine Doc would have taken the job without some assurance from Chris as well.

jer3miah
06-25-2013, 03:37 PM
I like this move with no nicholson or 1st round pick involved. I would be ok with 2nd round. Then we should sign JJ Redick back and draft a SG! Even though I know JJ is most likely not coming back, I can still hope.

Clippersfan86
06-25-2013, 03:53 PM
I like this move with no nicholson or 1st round pick involved. I would be ok with 2nd round. Then we should sign JJ Redick back and draft a SG! Even though I know JJ is most likely not coming back, I can still hope.

Course you do, because the Magic clearly win. You get the cap dump with 3 years left on a deal and a young, high upside, 23 year old PG who's a great fit. Bledsoe+Butler for Afflalo+Nicholson is VERY fair.

Clippersfan86
06-25-2013, 03:53 PM

Course you do, because the Magic clearly win. You get the cap dump with 3 years left on a deal and a young, high upside, 23 year old PG who's a great fit. Bledsoe+Butler for Afflalo+Nicholson is VERY fair.

mgsports
06-25-2013, 04:28 PM
They might Draft Cody Zellier Dark House Candiate so that would elimate trading Afflalo for a PG. I do see the Magic making a Trade even before Thursday.

apet8945
06-25-2013, 04:57 PM
That's going to be difficult. Since Barnes only played 1 year with you guys the most you can offer is the Non-Bird exception or 120% of his last year's salary, or about $1.5 mil/yr with 4.5% raises up to 4 years. I can definitely see other teams offering more than that, so it may take digging into the MLE to keep Barnes.

True. Regardless, I think the Clippers should try to get underneath the cap as much as they can. They should wait to see what the salary cap is and how much Paul makes next year. If we could fall underneath the cap by like 4 million, we should shed Butler and boot Green, and then we could try to offer Barnes a new contract at that amount and see if he would take it. If he's money hungry, then proceed to use the MLE on him and use that extra cap space to sign another decent player instead. I want us to be in the most flexible of positions when free agency starts pretty much. If we can't get underneath the cap enough, then we should start making trades.

But if the rumors are true that we'd get Nicholson, Afflalo, and a 1st rounder then the Clippers should do it. But if this does happen, the Clippers really need to find a way to get Garnett.

Cracka2HI!
06-26-2013, 02:10 AM
The rumor is picking up steam...however there is something that I find interesting in the article.

But the long-awaited arrival of Doc Rivers as the Clippers' new coach and senior vice president of basketball operations could push any Bledsoe trade into July -- or maybe even longer -- because Rivers is a well-known Bledsoe fan who has indicated he'd like to keep Bledsoe around if possible.

http://espn.go.com/los-angeles/nba/story/_/id/9423005/los-angeles-clippers-discussing-trading-eric-bledsoe-orlando-magic-sources

So Doc likes Bled, huh!? The article says that Bled is probably gone but Doc's liking of him and the fact that he's not even on the job yet will probably push any trade of Bledsoe until July. Which is great news for apet...probably the Clippers too.

apet8945
06-26-2013, 02:18 AM
The rumor is picking up steam...however there is something that I find interesting in the article.

http://espn.go.com/los-angeles/nba/story/_/id/9423005/los-angeles-clippers-discussing-trading-eric-bledsoe-orlando-magic-sources

So Doc likes Bled, huh!? The article says that Bled is probably gone but Doc's liking of him and the fact that he's not even on the job yet will probably push any trade of Bledsoe until July. Which is great news for apet...probably the Clippers too.

Yes, good. The Clippers should stand pat for now; let things develop around the league a little bit. No reason to trade anyone until free agency starts.

Method28
06-26-2013, 03:23 AM
What I would be worried about NOT trading Bledsoe until July is that the very few teams that have a hole at PG might find their man in FA, the Draft or by improvement of their current pg. So that would be one downside to it. Also a possible injury to Bledsoe could be disasterous.

mgsports
06-26-2013, 08:04 AM
Or Paul not resign for some reason.