PDA

View Full Version : Difference Between The Way The Lakers and Clippers Are Handling Their Free Agent Star

Clippersfan86
06-24-2013, 01:58 AM
This tweet got me thinking..

Eric Pincus LA Times Lakers Writer:

"I can only say from my perspective-but I think Dwight Howard is noticing what's happening for CP3 and what's not happening for him with LAL"

Clippers seem to be willing to do anything to build the team the last two years, making CP3 look like the GM half the time. Where as the Lakers seem to have a more confident and careless style of handling Dwight. Why do you think they are treating their free agents differently? I'm thinking it's probably related to ego. Because the Lakers KNOW how great they are and aren't about to ever kiss a players *** to make them happy.

Do you think there will be consequences from the way either team is treating their stars? Do you think one way is better than the other? Do you think if the Lakers catered to Dwight more such as firing D'Antoni that would increase his chances of staying?

RiceOnTheRun
06-24-2013, 02:13 AM
Obviously. Lakers got a bit cocky with the whole "We don't need you, you need us" attitude. If you're the most sought out free agent in the year, you think the team that'd like to resign you would show you a little bit of respect, even if you're Dwight Howard.

The fact of the matter is, wherever Dwight decides to go, depending on the circumstances they will be contenders. For the Lakers though, if Dwight leaves, unless they hit it big in 2014 they lose all chances of even making it to the WCF.

ThunderousDemon
06-24-2013, 02:18 AM
Lakers>Clippers

forever and always

shep33
06-24-2013, 02:19 AM
Meh, I think this is unfair. We're talking about a huge difference in player personalities. The Lakers FO, who are pretty stupid a lot of times, still understand that this is a first class organization and aren't going to let Dwight dictate the next 5-6 years of this franchise.

Not trying to start anything, but the Clips also haven't won anything, and they've been a historically bad franchise while in LA. This is a shot at the title for them. They need to win now. With all the hype around them being better than the Lakers, the result has been getting knocked out in Round 2 last year and Round 1 this year, which is the exact same as the Lakers. The Lakers will always eventually get their star players, it's just too bright of a spot to not do so.

We've been the most successful franchise in the modern NBA by a landslide, we can't contend and win titles every year, but we'll be in contention sooner rather than later, with or without Dwight Howard.

Byronicle
06-24-2013, 02:20 AM
Or maybe its because Howard has disrepected the Lakers throughout the season with his unprofessional antics, resuting in DwightMare 2.0

whereas CP3 actually competed hard for the Lakers and brought them to the next level, showing that he legitimately wants to be part of this organization.

Clippersfan86
06-24-2013, 02:21 AM
Meh, I think this is unfair. We're talking about a huge difference in player personalities. The Lakers FO, who are pretty stupid a lot of times, still understand that this is a first class organization and aren't going to let Dwight dictate the next 5-6 years of this franchise.

Not trying to start anything, but the Clips also haven't won anything, and they've been a historically bad franchise while in LA. This is a shot at the title for them, they need to win now. The Lakers will always eventually get their star players, it's just too bright of a spot to not do so.

We've been the most successful franchise in the modern NBA by a landslide, we can't contend and win titles every year, but we'll be in contention sooner rather than later, with or without Dwight Howard.

So it's basically all summed up to what Rice said above? "You need us more than we need you" type deal? Do you personally wish the Lakers were catering to Dwight at least somewhat, for the better of the team? Such as firing D'Antoni.

shep33
06-24-2013, 02:24 AM
So it's basically all summed up to what Rice said above? "You need us more than we need you" type deal? Do you personally wish the Lakers were catering to Dwight at least somewhat, for the better of the team? Such as firing D'Antoni.

I honestly don't want to cater to Dwight. I dunno but the last time I checked he wanted guys like Monta on the team. I remember he wanted Nash in Orlando, he has him now in LA and that was a disaster.

Don't get me wrong lol, I want D'antoni gone, but depending on Dwight to make the right decisions for this franchise is 100% the wrong move for us.

naps
06-24-2013, 02:25 AM
Well, if you let the player dictate terms and make your GM his ***** then you are just not a first class organization. Not necessarily saying Lakers have handled the situation right, but they are smart enough not to let a superstar impose his will at everything. I guess if you look at the history you'll see the difference between two teams that share the same building. No rocket science here.

Clippersfan86
06-24-2013, 02:27 AM
I honestly don't want to cater to Dwight. I dunno but the last time I checked he wanted guys like Monta on the team. I remember he wanted Nash in Orlando, he has him now in LA and that was a disaster.

Don't get me wrong lol, I want D'antoni gone, but depending on Dwight to make the right decisions for this franchise is 100% the wrong move for us.

Fair enough. Another difference between the situations is that CP3 hasn't thrown people under the bus like Dwight. Dwight called this season a "nightmare", clashed with Kobe, clashed with coach and has indirectly called out teammates multiple times and the system D'Antoni ran. I guess if I was a fan of a team dealing with that I'd have more of a "fu** him, let him walk" attitude too. Dwight is emotionally a nutjob. That's why I don't want him anywhere near the Clips.

shep33
If I were the Clips, I think you have to listen to CP3, and there is nothing wrong with that because he's proven himself as a fantastic player for the Clips, who I believe are taking that next step towards contention.

Dwight on the other hand... not so sure he even wants to be here. Cp3 always seemed like he wanted to stay. Plus CP3 hasn't been schizo about his decision making. Dwight has a terrible history in that regard.

In my opinion we can't cater to Howard in a similar fashion as the Clips would with Paul

PurpleJesus
History tells me that the Lakers are more committed to winning than LAC. True that the Clippers seem to be more aggressive in keeping CP3, and putting more talent on the team this year, but the Lakers are the more attractive destination for stars.

shep33
06-24-2013, 02:30 AM
Fair enough. Another difference between the situations is that CP3 hasn't thrown people under the bus like Dwight. Dwight called this season a "nightmare", clashed with Kobe, clashed with coach and has indirectly called out teammates multiple times and the system D'Antoni ran. I guess if I was a fan of a team dealing with that I'd have more of a "fu** him, let him walk" attitude too. Dwight is emotionally a nutjob. That's why I don't want him anywhere near the Clips.

Absolutely man. I don't think people outside of Orlando and LA fans understand how frustrating he can be. He changes his mind constantly and it seems like he rather run away from criticsm rather than overcome it and be the difference in a franchise taking the next step.

Clippersfan86
History tells me that the Lakers are more committed to winning than LAC. True that the Clippers seem to be more aggressive in keeping CP3, and putting more talent on the team this year, but the Lakers are the more attractive destination for stars.

Good point. Clippers more desperate to keep the biggest star they have ever had... where as the Lakers know their time will come again soon?

Kyben36
Im not trying to start a fight, but I think there is high probability they both leave their respective teams. although, im going out on a limb to say that CP3 is being worse than Dwight, its been pretty clear he has been the cause of all the trade and release of coaches and he keeps denying it.

Dwight has made it ever clear he is not sure where is he going to resign and made it more clear when he refused to sign an extension with them when they traded for him.

Clippersfan86
06-24-2013, 02:31 AM
If I were the Clips, I think you have to listen to CP3, and there is nothing wrong with that because he's proven himself as a fantastic player for the Clips, who I believe are taking that next step towards contention.

Dwight on the other hand... not so sure he even wants to be here. Cp3 always seemed like he wanted to stay. Plus CP3 hasn't been schizo about his decision making. Dwight has a terrible history in that regard.

In my opinion we can't cater to Howard in a similar fashion as the Clips would with Paul

Pretty damn good answer that sums it all up. That tweet by Pincus just made me wonder because the differences in how the teams are handling these stars is so contrasting that it's really interesting to me.

Achilles24
06-24-2013, 02:32 AM
I hate to say this, but I think even Jerry Buss' spirit is better than Donald Sterling alive.

shep33
06-24-2013, 02:33 AM
Im not trying to start a fight, but I think there is high probability they both leave their respective teams. although, im going out on a limb to say that CP3 is being worse than Dwight, its been pretty clear he has been the cause of all the trade and release of coaches and he keeps denying it.

Dwight has made it ever clear he is not sure where is he going to resign and made it more clear when he refused to sign an extension with them when they traded for him.

100% no chance CP3 leaves in my mind. Dwight... 50/50

Clippersfan86
06-24-2013, 02:35 AM
100% no chance CP3 leaves in my mind. Dwight... 50/50

Agreed. Clips are still shopping DeAndre so I expect continued improvement this summer to lock CP3 in. Dwight's so dumb for not understanding the legacy aspect of staying with the Lakers and returning them to a title. Lakers champions are IMMORTALIZED in sports. I guess he can't handle the pressure.

RiceOnTheRun
06-24-2013, 03:47 AM
Well, if you let the player dictate terms and make your GM his ***** then you are just not a first class organization. Not necessarily saying Lakers have handled the situation right, but they are smart enough not to let a superstar impose his will at everything. I guess if you look at the history you'll see the difference between two teams that share the same building. No rocket science here.

Lebron is basically a second GM to the Heat and the Miami Heat are a first class organization.

I agree with the whole "not catering" to Dwight thing. Don't get me wrong. Catering to players like Lebron James and Chris Paul makes a whole lot more sense, considering they know exactly what they want in a team. They're probably two of the most intelligent players and, if you cater to them, most of the time it's for the best of the organization anyways. For example, ditching Del Negro for Doc, is generally a good choice and CP3 is all for it because of that. Same with getting Lebron his floor spacer in Bosh and sharpshooters in Ray, Battier etc.

Howard isn't stupid by any means, but he is indecisive. You can't really cater to him other than straight sucking up because he probably doesn't know exactly what he wants either. I don't blame the Lakers for not babying him at all, but I think they should still show a little more dedication to keeping him since he's arguably more important to their status as a contender for at least the next ~5 years considering the best way to beat the Heat is through a dominant 7-footer.

shep33
06-24-2013, 04:20 AM
Agreed. Clips are still shopping DeAndre so I expect continued improvement this summer to lock CP3 in. Dwight's so dumb for not understanding the legacy aspect of staying with the Lakers and returning them to a title. Lakers champions are IMMORTALIZED in sports. I guess he can't handle the pressure.

Yeah, the Clips have a legit shot next year after this summer is all said and done. As for Dwight and the Lakers, I hope he stays and realizes what we can offer in 2014 with all that cap room and D'antoni likely gone, but it seems like he'll go somewhere else where there is less pressure.

It honestly doesn't even bug me anymore though. If he leaves, so be it. Our main goal needs to be getting Phil back into this organization. Right now it's been reported that he's somewhat of a consultant for us this summer. Hopefully his role increases eventually.

Chrisclover
06-24-2013, 04:27 AM
DwightMare 2.0

jezzyman05
06-24-2013, 05:17 AM
I agree with the whole "not catering" to Dwight thing. Don't get me wrong. Catering to players like Lebron James and Chris Paul makes a whole lot more sense, considering they know exactly what they want in a team. They're probably two of the most intelligent players and, if you cater to them, most of the time it's for the best of the organization anyways. For example, ditching Del Negro for Doc, is generally a good choice and CP3 is all for it because of that. Same with getting Lebron his floor spacer in Bosh and sharpshooters in Ray, Battier.

I would have to disagree with you completely in the "catering to players" Lebron didn't build the Heat, Pat Riley did, Lebron has shown that he shouldn't play GM look at Cleveland....Pat Riley is using what he can with what he can.....Mike Miller, Ray Allen and Shane Battier were not Lebrons choices they were the only ones thT would take pay cuts to win a championship....which they did....that's not Lebrons choice.

Chris Paul just wants to win, hell he prolly would want Monta has his Shooting guard if he thought it would win him a title...players nowadays can't play GM and be stars on their teams, players dont think like that they don't think whats good for the franchise, they think about their quest in getting titles....that's like saying all good coaches make good GMs yes they have a say in the matter but the final decision is not the coach or the player.

I like the stand ( or approach) that the Lakers are taking with Dwight, and I disagree that what ever team he signs with will be title contenders because if it in the west you have OKC, SAS, and Memphis to deal with and then upcoming teams like Houston and GSW and in the east your Miami, New York, Chicago and Indiana to start with.

The Clippers are finally experiencing some success and honesty it cool they are trying to keep Paul, but don't destroy your franchise to do it.

Pakman
06-24-2013, 05:38 AM
I'd be wanting to make everything clippers threads all over psd if my irrelevant team was FINALLY relevant. Must feel nice. Too bad it won't bring a chip

Mcdoh
06-24-2013, 06:16 AM
Lakers trying to avoid dwightmare 2.0.. lakers want dwight to stay but i think they are also prepared if dwight leaves..

IndyRealist
06-24-2013, 06:30 AM
Orlando let Dwight call the shots, look how it turned out for them.

IndyRealist
06-24-2013, 06:32 AM
Lebron is basically a second GM to the Heat and the Miami Heat are a first class organization.

I agree with the whole "not catering" to Dwight thing. Don't get me wrong. Catering to players like Lebron James and Chris Paul makes a whole lot more sense, considering they know exactly what they want in a team. They're probably two of the most intelligent players and, if you cater to them, most of the time it's for the best of the organization anyways. For example, ditching Del Negro for Doc, is generally a good choice and CP3 is all for it because of that. Same with getting Lebron his floor spacer in Bosh and sharpshooters in Ray, Battier etc.

Howard isn't stupid by any means, but he is indecisive. You can't really cater to him other than straight sucking up because he probably doesn't know exactly what he wants either. I don't blame the Lakers for not babying him at all, but I think they should still show a little more dedication to keeping him since he's arguably more important to their status as a contender for at least the next ~5 years considering the best way to beat the Heat is through a dominant 7-footer.

Boobie Gibson, Shaq, and Antwan Jamison say hi.

GoferKing_
06-24-2013, 07:18 AM
Lakers are a professional basketball team, they got a GM, they don't need to take into consideration what a player that is a free agent tells them to do. LAC is a circus. (And I hate both teams)

Byronicle
06-24-2013, 10:45 AM
It is now apparent what the intent of the OP and his bias is clearly showing

Especially since people have given the answer, including myself which is Dwight had created Dwightmare 2.0 onto 2 organizations in 2 years

And yet the OP wants to argue with the Lakers fans. Because this thread was meant to bash the Lakers organization

Clippersfan86
06-24-2013, 11:03 AM
It is now apparent what the intent of the OP and his bias is clearly showing

Especially since people have given the answer, including myself which is Dwight had created Dwightmare 2.0 onto 2 organizations in 2 years

And yet the OP wants to argue with the Lakers fans. Because this thread was meant to bash the Lakers organization

Is this a joke? I've actually been respectfully taking in Lakers fans opinions and agreed with most of them. Who did I argue with :confused:? I genuinely wanted to discuss the contrast, haven't Laker bashed at all.

Atticus Finch
06-24-2013, 11:09 AM
I could be wrong about this but impression so far has been that the Lakers want to make sure they don't drive Dwight out of town by nagging him too much. They seem to be trying to let him know that they respect his free agency and his right to choose what's best for him and his family, but at the same time want to let him know they feel like the Lakers is the best place for him to be.

Clippers on the other hand seem like they want to prove to Paul that they aren't the same ol' clippers that have been around for years. By going all out to get Doc they are basically showing him that they are finally serious to compete for championships. I think CP3 was most likely going to resign with the Clips until they got Doc which basically guaranteed it.

Chronz
06-24-2013, 11:46 AM
People might focus on the Lakers being a class organization but werent they catering to Kobe when he was a FA?

The bigger issue might just be the players, its alot easier to trust CP3's judgement than it is Dwights.

hugepatsfan
06-24-2013, 11:49 AM
The Lakers as a franchise are bigger than one player. If they don't get Dwight they'll get someone else. The Clippers have never had an opportunity to compete at this level for as long as any of us can remember. Let's be honest - CP3 has them by the balls.

hugepatsfan
06-24-2013, 11:53 AM

You can only move him if you get another C back though because you guys are already very thin at that spot. The only upgrade I see out there now that the KG stuff fell apart is Marcin Gortat but with the number of big man needy contenders I can see them getting more than DJ and his 20 million dollar price tag.

hugepatsfan
06-24-2013, 11:54 AM
People might focus on the Lakers being a class organization but werent they catering to Kobe when he was a FA?

The bigger issue might just be the players, its alot easier to trust CP3's judgement than it is Dwights.

If the Lakers lose a star they'll just get another one in a couple of years. They're a FA hot spot. The Clips got Blake in the draft. They weren't CP3's first choice to be traded to. If they lose out on CP3 there's no guarantee that a comparable player would ever want to play for them again. And I'm not being dramatic either - look at their history.

Clippersfan86
06-24-2013, 11:57 AM
You can only move him if you get another C back though because you guys are already very thin at that spot. The only upgrade I see out there now that the KG stuff fell apart is Marcin Gortat but with the number of big man needy contenders I can see them getting more than DJ and his 20 million dollar price tag.

I wouldn't go that far. I think there are a lot of centers who would be huge upgrades by virtue of fit alone. Somebody like Spencer Hawes would be a nice pairing for Blake.

Tymathee
06-24-2013, 12:16 PM
Because the clipps are desperate and the Lakers aren't? Before they got Dwight they were happy going into the season with Nash, Kobe and Gasol with Bynum being out.

However, the Lakers have the strength of saying "Look Dwight, we're the Lakers, we went on a 60 win pace before the playoffs, only got bounced in the 1st round because of injuries to multiple players who normally have been healthy, fired a coach at the beginning of the season and took half a year to get going, we can offer more financial security, more endorsements, more chances to widen your brand internationally and in 2014, unlike the Clippres, we have the cap space to build around YOU."

Basically, the Clippers are looking at going into next season and forward with the team they have now.

I will say this now, the Clippers have NO chance of even sniffing the finals. They aren't good enough, or deep enough and have a crappy organizational structure that has no philosophy rather than throwing crap against the wall and hoping it sticks.

Clippersfan86
06-24-2013, 12:29 PM
Because the clipps are desperate and the Lakers aren't? Before they got Dwight they were happy going into the season with Nash, Kobe and Gasol with Bynum being out.

However, the Lakers have the strength of saying "Look Dwight, we're the Lakers, we went on a 60 win pace before the playoffs, only got bounced in the 1st round because of injuries to multiple players who normally have been healthy, fired a coach at the beginning of the season and took half a year to get going, we can offer more financial security, more endorsements, more chances to widen your brand internationally and in 2014, unlike the Clippres, we have the cap space to build around YOU."

Basically, the Clippers are looking at going into next season and forward with the team they have now.

I will say this now, the Clippers have NO chance of even sniffing the finals. They aren't good enough, or deep enough and have a crappy organizational structure that has no philosophy rather than throwing crap against the wall and hoping it sticks.

I agree with the same roster and with Vinny Del Negro no chance. Bring in a top 5 coach and improve the roster and things aren't the same. Runner up GM of the year two years in a row. Not a bad organization lately.

Mr_Jones
06-24-2013, 12:31 PM
Well, Dwight has made it tough for the Lakers in how they handle this whole situation. He's like an on-edge girlfriend that if you get too close to, she freaks out and breaks up with you. He's so mentally-unstable right now.

Chronz
06-24-2013, 12:34 PM
If the Lakers lose a star they'll just get another one in a couple of years. They're a FA hot spot. The Clips got Blake in the draft. They weren't CP3's first choice to be traded to. If they lose out on CP3 there's no guarantee that a comparable player would ever want to play for them again. And I'm not being dramatic either - look at their history.

Not convinced any of that matters. If LA is a FA hotspot then why is Dwight not resigned? Facts are, IN THE NOW, the Lakers are looking like a team on the decline and the Clippers are on the up.

Also, it wasn't that Free Agents weren't willing to come here, its that Sterling didn't want to pay anyone. Things have changed alot since then, that players made the Clips a priority even tho we couldn't offer the same amount of money (As several stars have done) tells me they would consider LA if all else was equal. I really dDoubt players care about what happened in the 90's early 2K era. Especially when they see that Doc has come on board.

Clippersfan86
06-24-2013, 12:36 PM
Not convinced any of that matters. If LA is a FA hotspot then why is Dwight not resigned? Facts are, IN THE NOW, the Lakers are looking like a team on the decline and the Clippers are on the up.

Also, it wasn't that Free Agents weren't willing to come here, its that Sterling didn't want to pay anyone. Things have changed alot since then. Doubt players care about what happened in the 90's early 2K era. Especially when they see that Doc has come.

I don't think ANYBODY with sense would argue that right now the Lakers are the bigger draw. You're 100 percent right in implying that at this very moment the Clippers are the bigger draw. 9 out of 10 free agents choose the Clippers over the Lakers. I actually think it's been that way for about 3 years now since Blake was drafted and the Lakers gave the team to Jim Buss.

Clippersfan86
06-24-2013, 12:38 PM
Interesting part to me is that even with all of their titles the Lakers much like the Celtics have had horrible success with free agents. Outside of Shaq who was a franchise changing free agent the Lakers have signed? Most of their legends were acquired through trade or draft.

Clippers have signed far more impact players in the last couple decades at least. So not sure where the myth came out that everybody is running in free agency to sign with the Lakers.

Chronz
06-24-2013, 12:39 PM

We had a Varajeo deal in place last year.

lakerfan85
06-24-2013, 12:56 PM

Also, it wasn't that Free Agents weren't willing to come here, its that Sterling didn't want to pay anyone. Things have changed alot since then, that players made the Clips a priority even tho we couldn't offer the same amount of money (As several stars have done) tells me they would consider LA if all else was equal. I really dDoubt players care about what happened in the 90's early 2K era. Especially when they see that Doc has come on board.

Because he can wait until July 1st and resign for more money..

lpdunks8
06-24-2013, 01:18 PM
Interesting part to me is that even with all of their titles the Lakers much like the Celtics have had horrible success with free agents. Outside of Shaq who was a franchise changing free agent the Lakers have signed? Most of their legends were acquired through trade or draft.

Clippers have signed far more impact players in the last couple decades at least. So not sure where the myth came out that everybody is running in free agency to sign with the Lakers.

The Lakers are never under the cap to sign big free agents!!! How can you sign a "franchise changing free agent" with only league mins, MLEs, and bi-annual exceptions available? LOL

You failed to mention that they did sign Artest to the MLE. Without that rebound/put back against the Suns and his game 7 excellence against the Celtics; they don't win the 2010 title.

lpdunks8
06-24-2013, 01:20 PM
One thing people are missing are Kupchak's interview the other week. He said they speak with Howard and his agent all of the time. We have no idea if D12 wants anything from them or if he's asked for anything. The thing is; their conversations are not being leaked like it seems the CP3/Clips ones are.

Clippersfan86
06-24-2013, 01:21 PM
The Lakers are never under the cap to sign big free agents!!! How can you sign a "franchise changing free agent" with only league mins, MLEs, and bi-annual exceptions available? LOL

You failed to mention that they did sign Artest to the MLE. Without that rebound/put back against the Suns and his game 7 excellence against the Celtics; they don't win the 2010 title.

I was going to mention it being largely related to cap but that still applies so goes without saying. Lakers haven't pretty much ever been a team that tried to hit a homerun with max cap space. Maybe in 2014 they try and succeed but until then it's weird to act like they are a big draw. I don't remember players demanding trades to the Lakers in recent decades either. My point is.. the gap between Lakers vs Clippers for players wanting to play for these teams is nonexistent and if it favors anybody right now it's the Clippers.

Both teams are highly desirable because of the LA market, weather, Staples Center and always will be now that the Clippers have pulled their heads out of their *****.

6cadi6
06-24-2013, 01:28 PM
Well, D12 ain't a star so... :confused:

Chronz
06-24-2013, 01:29 PM
Because he can wait until July 1st and resign for more money..

If he does resign that will be a sign that the Lakers are just as glossy as ever. Looking at the situation, I just cant fathom why I would choose the Lakers over Houston.

shep33
06-24-2013, 01:36 PM
I wouldn't say we catered to Kobe in a similar fashion like this. We all knew it would come down to Kobe or Shaq, and the FO chose Kobe because a declining and overweight Shaq wanted a massive contract.

When he wanted a trade in 2007, he was eventually talked out of it by Buss. Also we had a pretty strong year even without Pau that year, but when Pau came it changed everything.

Kobe didn't really choose players he wanted on the team or not. If he would've gotten his way we would've traded Bynum for J-kidd or Bynum and Lamar for Jermaine O'neal.

Thank god we didn't listen to Kobe lol

Clippersfan86
06-26-2013, 05:12 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BNtid-JCAAAW7Nz.jpg:large

http://clippers.topbuzz.com/modules/PNphpBB2/upload-pics/clippers/3304_Portrait_2.jpg

I guess now they will turn to begging.