PDA

View Full Version : How much do the Clippers improve with this coaching change?

JerseyPalahniuk
06-23-2013, 11:41 PM
(Post what seed you think they'll be as welll)

This speaks to how you guys view the impact of a coach on a team.

Personally, a great coach what improve a rebuilding team much unless he/she is known to do that (Larry Brown, Nate McMillan). A great coach has team-wide impact only with the right pieces.

The Clippers have a great core to work with Paul and Griffin. Many of you on PSD (and in the media) don't think Griffin has superstar potential anymore after him not improving as much and his universal "soft" title. I like to cite his age and his incredibly work ethic (that his teammates vouch for) that he WILL improve dramatically. With a coach like Rivers, I think he can instill a defensive-minded approach to Griffin and especially Jordan. Of course this all depends on if they actually KEEP those players but whoever they get Rivers has great experience from learning (yes learning) from Kevin Garnett.

A few quotes from this article: (http://espn.go.com/los-angeles/nba/story/_/id/9415667/acquiring-head-coach-doc-rivers-forever-enhance-los-angeles-clippers-image)

The Clippers went from unwilling to pay a coach a reasonable salary to acquiring the highest-paid coach in the NBA.

The Clippers are no longer simply changing their culture and becoming more respectable. Their metamorphosis from laughing stock to championship contender is complete. They will not only be one of the favorites to win the title next season, they've set the groundwork to be a contender for the foreseeable future.

^That part seem a bit premature to say but who knows

The Clippers go from Vinny Del Negro, who has only five years of coaching experience and was largely in over his head in L.A., to Rivers, who is one of the longest-tenured and most-respected coaches in the NBA. Among active coaches, he's second only to Gregg Popovich in both departments.

Rivers is the kind of coach that Paul and Griffin, who have never advanced past the second of the playoffs, have been yearning for. He's a coach who has won an NBA title and can show Paul and Griffin what it takes to be champions. He's a coach with a voice that commands the respect of everyone in the locker room and won't be seen as a puppet for any player. He's a coach who can mold a talented roster into a championship team, just as Phil Jackson did with the Lakers, Popovich did with the Spurs and, well, Rivers did with the Celtics.

When Jackson came to Los Angeles in 1999 to coach a Lakers team that had simply hit a ceiling under Del Harris and Kurt Rambis, he was amazed at how open the players were to everything he told them. They were like sponges who simply wanted to get to where he had been.
"I think those guys would have laid down and let me run on top of them or something when I first got there," Jackson said recently. "They were very, very receptive."

The same will be the case when Rivers stands before the Clippers at his very first practice in Los Angeles. There won't be any more second-guessing plays or bickering over playing time like there was with Del Negro.

OceanSpray
06-23-2013, 11:48 PM
Clippers are a huge JOKE. Coaches can only do so much but it seems that this squad relies on CP3 too much. DeAndre and Blake are more concerned with catching lobs than improving their craft. DeAndre and Blake need to go after Hakeem. They are far too athletic and think lobs can win games. No coach can fix this team, the players need to fix themselves. Negro was a terrible coach but you can't blame him when Jamal/CP3 were the only players able to find their own shot.

JerseyPalahniuk
06-23-2013, 11:49 PM
Clippers are a huge JOKE. Coaches can only do so much but it seems that this squad relies on CP3 too much. DeAndre and Blake are more concerned with catching lobs than improving their craft. DeAndre and Blake need to go after Hakeem. They are far too athletic and think lobs can win games. No coach can fix this team, the players need to fix themselves. Negro was a terrible coach but you can't blame him when Jamal/CP3 were the only players able to find their own shot.

You don't think Rivers can change that? Where do you have them finishing in the playoffs then?

It's hard to take your input seriously when you bashed Lebron in that game 6 thread and wanted to trade him ahaha

OceanSpray
06-23-2013, 11:53 PM
You don't think Rivers can change that? Where do you have them finishing in the playoffs then?

It's hard to take your input seriously when you bashed Lebron in that game 6 thread and wanted to trade him ahaha

You got the wrong person. I never asked to trade LeBron, I simply said he was choking in game 5, that was all. I don't think Rivers can change that. Coaches can't tell players to go into the off season and work on their game. That is the player's responsibility. I can't imagine what this team would do with CP3 gone.

IversonIsKrazy
06-23-2013, 11:56 PM
They do improve. I feel that CLips will give him the respect and they will be better. But still see them as a 2nd round exit team. I cant see them knocking off Spurs or OKC 2nd round.

Tony_Starks
06-23-2013, 11:59 PM
Tremendous improvement. If Vinny could get them this far it's scary to think what Doc could do.

JerseyPalahniuk
06-24-2013, 12:00 AM
You got the wrong person. I never asked to trade LeBron, I simply said he was choking in game 5, that was all. I don't think Rivers can change that. Coaches can't tell players to go into the off season and work on their game. That is the player's responsibility. I can't imagine what this team would do with CP3 gone.

Dude, it took me 15 seconds to go to my post history of where I called you out. http://prntscr.com/1aumoj. Game 6. You called series over, James is a joke.

Why do you think CP3 will be gone with this move? All signs point to him signing the 5 year max extension. And Griffin does work extensively on his game in the post season - last summer breaking his whatever right before the Olympics hurt him or he would've learned even more from that squad. Jordan though - that dude needs to learn some offense/ use his athleticism on the defensive end. His contract is awful right now but I do believe Rivers will help him develop. Players WANT to be coached, especially by those who have won rings. That's why I put those Jackson quotes. Check out that article man.

LTBaByyy
06-24-2013, 12:01 AM
Not much, CP3 was the coach last year.

Griffin and Jordan are still immature.

Jamal Crawford show can only last so long.

Butler is not the Wizards Butler.

Billups prob won't be back unless he is a coach.

They won't have money for Barnes who will get paid

LTBaByyy
06-24-2013, 12:04 AM
Doc Rivers should have stayed in the East. He will find out how hard it is in the West

The Lakers will be healthy

The Mavs will make a playoff team with cap space

The Blazers can have a big year

The Thunder, Spurs, Grizzlies, Warriors, Nuggets, Rockets are still good

OceanSpray
06-24-2013, 12:11 AM
Dude, it took me 15 seconds to go to my post history of where I called you out. http://prntscr.com/1aumoj. Game 6. You called series over, James is a joke.

Why do you think CP3 will be gone with this move? All signs point to him signing the 5 year max extension. And Griffin does work extensively on his game in the post season - last summer breaking his whatever right before the Olympics hurt him or he would've learned even more from that squad. Jordan though - that dude needs to learn some offense/ use his athleticism on the defensive end. His contract is awful right now but I do believe Rivers will help him develop. Players WANT to be coached, especially by those who have won rings. That's why I put those Jackson quotes. Check out that article man.

Now you're just upset that you didn't find what you were looking for. That quote doesn't mean I asked for Miami to trade James. I said he choked, I thought Miami were going to lose, that doesn't mean trade James. There was nothing wrong with what I said on that quote, he DID choke before the fourth quarter. He was 3/13 with Miami down 10, it didn't seem like he would go berserk on that last quarter. Dude, go back to Griffin's rookie season. He still doesn't have a go to move. He still is horrible offensively. He's a terrible defender and even his own teammates called him soft. Jordan, he's a wannabe Chandler except Chandler hustles and makes smart plays while also being an amazing defender. Certainly, Rivers is an inspiring coach. He will get his team to work to their potential. That doesn't mean a thing if Blake/Jordan can't bring themselves to actually learn how to be dominant. I don't know what Blake does extensively on the off season, I'm not seeing any results and that leads me to think that Griffin is just practicing his dunks. No improvements since 4 years ago, give me a break.

NoahH
06-24-2013, 01:18 AM
Rivers is a great coach, but I don't think the Clippers are real contenders yet. The team is all CP3 and he can't do it alone. Outside of Blake and CP3 they don't have much..

DeAndre Jordan is inefficient and a waste of $10mill a year or whatever he's paid.
Billups (not coming back probably) was injured most of the season.
Matt Barnes is decent but doesn't fill that huge void they have at SG/SF
Caron Butler is past his prime
Bledsoe has a helluva lot of potential but will never live up to potential behind CP3
Jamal Crawford is just a scorer

I think they really need to retool the roster while keeping the core intact of CP3 / Griffin. Unlike alot of people I don't think Griffin is just a dunker. Yes he isn't a great defender, but he's a good PF.

OceanSpray
06-24-2013, 01:23 AM
Rivers is a great coach, but I don't think the Clippers are real contenders yet. The team is all CP3 and he can't do it alone. Outside of Blake and CP3 they don't have much..

DeAndre Jordan is inefficient and a waste of $10mill a year or whatever he's paid.
Billups (not coming back probably) was injured most of the season.
Matt Barnes is decent but doesn't fill that huge void they have at SG/SF
Caron Butler is past his prime
Bledsoe has a helluva lot of potential but will never live up to potential behind CP3
Jamal Crawford is just a scorer

I think they really need to retool the roster while keeping the core intact of CP3 / Griffin. Unlike alot of people I don't think Griffin is just a dunker. Yes he isn't a great defender, but he's a good PF.

The only other legitimate go to move he has is the one Carmelo taught him, spin and fade away. Blake doesn't play the way he should be playing. He's like LeBron with just the dunking. If he can learn some post moves, he'd be fine. The problem is, he has none. That's why he was getting beat down by the Grizzlies, he couldn't stop Zach and had no solution to the front court of Gasol/Randolph.

Clippersfan86
06-24-2013, 01:26 AM
Clippers are still going to trade Bledsoe+DJ, draft a solid prospect (lots of decent upside wings late 1st round), and have MLE and mini mid. Point is.. their roster will likely improve a ton by the start of the season too. At least now a coach won't be holding us back. So to say another 1st or 2nd round exit is dumb IMO. Basically you guys are saying Doc isn't an upgrade over Vinny fu**ing Del Negro.

RLundi
06-24-2013, 01:26 AM
Doc is a top-5 coach and master motivator. People saying the Clips aren't contenders or that Doc won't make a difference are flat-out wrong.

I watched enough Clippers games to know VDN is AWFUL, worst than advertised. Doc will provide smart plays, stability, motivation, respect and a championship pedigree. The Clippers, along with OKC and San Antonio, are a force to be reckoned with and a certain championship contender.

Clippersfan86
06-24-2013, 01:29 AM
Doc is a top-5 coach and master motivator. People saying the Clips aren't contenders or that Doc won't make a difference are flat-out wrong.

I watched enough Clippers games to know VDN is AWFUL, worst than advertised. Doc will provide smart plays, stability, motivation, respect and a championship pedigree. The Clippers, along with OKC and San Antonio, are a force to be reckoned with and a certain championship contender.

Woah not expecting this from you haha. Lately you seem to not be a fan of the Clips so I know there is definitely no bias from you. What's more is though is that as I said the Clippers are EXTREMELY motivated to deal Bledsoe+DJ still and fill in the holes we had last year. Just 5 players under contract so for people to judge as if the roster will be the same is ignorant. Blake should make a big leap under Doc don't you think?

ArmLaker
06-24-2013, 01:36 AM
Hey Clipsfan, you grab Sterling, I'll grab Buss and we'll have a nice meeting. We'll give you Howard and you just throw Griffin and Bledsoe our way. You'll have D12 and CP3 along with the rest of your squad along with the picks, MLE and vet min.

blastmasta26
06-24-2013, 01:39 AM
I like the Doc addition but they need to make a move or two and fill their holes. The rumors of getting KG and Pierce would be great moves, but I understand the situation is complicated now that the Doc trade went down.

Clippersfan86
06-24-2013, 01:43 AM
I like the Doc addition but they need to make a move or two and fill their holes. The rumors of getting KG and Pierce would be great moves, but I understand the situation is complicated now that the Doc trade went down.

No doubt. 5 players under contract, roster nowhere close to done.