PDA

View Full Version : What's next for Pierce and Garnett?

lpdunks8
06-23-2013, 07:28 PM
Supposedly; the Clippers and Celtics know that the league won't allow a trade that brings a Celtics player to LAC now that the Rivers thing is done.

So, what happens with the two vets?

mdm692
06-23-2013, 07:31 PM
I had the same question.

xxplayerxx23
They go to the highest bidder only thing is kg has a no trade clause so that makes it more difficult

lpdunks8
Marc Stein ‏@ESPNSteinLine 2m
To reiterate: All indications are NBA WILL approve LAC deal for Doc Rivers. But all indications also are any KG-to-Clips trade gets blocked
Expand Reply
Retweet

From Twitter.

Gators123
06-23-2013, 07:33 PM
What are the chances of KG retiring?

xxplayerxx23
06-23-2013, 07:34 PM
I'd think Cleveland would take on pierce. I think gsw would be perfect for pierce. I have no clue on kg though

thomass
06-23-2013, 07:36 PM
All of this just makes me appreciate and respect tim Duncan that much more.

abe_froman
06-23-2013, 07:36 PM
pp will get bought out and go to the clips,but kg...i have no idea,i'm sure he doesnt want to stick around.

xxplayerxx23
06-23-2013, 07:43 PM
Why would they buy kg out though? They lose any value they could get!?

GrumpyOldMan
06-23-2013, 07:49 PM
I wouldn't buy out either of them. Pierce has no veto power and can be traded to anyone who wants him and if KG doesn't like any trade destinations he can finish out his contract. I wouldn't pay him not to play.

Chronz
06-23-2013, 07:50 PM
KG will either retire or get cut.

goingfor28
06-23-2013, 07:52 PM
I still think somehow they both find their way to the clippers

Chronz
06-23-2013, 07:54 PM
I wouldn't buy out either of them. Pierce has no veto power and can be traded to anyone who wants him and if KG doesn't like any trade destinations he can finish out his contract. I wouldn't pay him not to play.

If KG retires, Boston has to buy him out and they get left paying him a big chunk of his contract for not playing anyways.

Only this way, instead of treating your Superstar with respect and allowing him to continue playing where he sees fit, you force him to go home. You really think thats the better alternative?

iFYouSeekAmy
06-23-2013, 07:54 PM
why would the league block the KG deal? It's not like he's going to be around much longer.

Chronz
06-23-2013, 07:55 PM
Why would they buy kg out though? They lose any value they could get!?
This depends on if you believe that KG wants to finish his career alongside Doc. If thats true then the Celtics have no value. At this point it becomes about franchise culture. What kind of franchise do you want to be remembered for?

The Celtics have reached this cross point before, they chose to stick with the stars and allow them to finish their careers as a Big3

GrumpyOldMan
06-23-2013, 08:00 PM
If KG retires, Boston has to buy him out and they get left paying him a big chunk of his contract for not playing anyways.

Only this way, instead of treating your Superstar with respect and allowing him to continue playing where he sees fit, you force him to go home. You really think thats the better alternative?

KG has complete control of his destination. He can go anywhere that Boston can get interest for his services except apparently for the Clippers. If a deal can't be worked out with a team he wants to play for and he doesn't want to play in Boston then he should retire. In a perfect world I think he should be traded to the Clippers but for some reason Stern wont allow that.

Chronz
06-23-2013, 08:10 PM
KG has complete control of his destination. He can go anywhere that Boston can get interest for his services except apparently for the Clippers. If a deal can't be worked out with a team he wants to play for and he doesn't want to play in Boston then he should retire. In a perfect world I think he should be traded to the Clippers but for some reason Stern wont allow that.
Why should he retire when there is still a way for him to continue his career as he sees fit?

But yes, this is all contingent on his desire to play with Doc. I think once the moment passes and he has time to assess the league at large, he just might want to keep playing elsewhere.

hugepatsfan
06-23-2013, 08:14 PM
Why does BOS need to buy KG out if he retires? Isn't a contract contingent on the player showing up to the team? Why would they be obligated to pay him anything if he decides not to play?

Chronz
06-23-2013, 08:16 PM
Why does BOS need to buy KG out if he retires? Isn't a contract contingent on the player showing up to the team? Why would they be obligated to pay him anything if he decides not to play?

Cuz thats the way retirements work in an age of guaranteed contracts, at least if they arent medically related. In which case I believe they get it all.

Player retires, negotiates a buy-out of some sort with his team to save them money.

shep33
06-23-2013, 08:18 PM
KG will end up with the Clips

IndiansFan337
06-23-2013, 08:21 PM
pp will get bought out and go to the clips,but kg...i have no idea,i'm sure he doesnt want to stick around.

Why would they buy him out if they deals on the table offering draft picks for him where they wouldn't have to take back any contracts?

IndiansFan337
06-23-2013, 08:22 PM

You don't pay players when they retire. They walk away from the money.

Auseranami
06-23-2013, 08:25 PM
Let kg and pierce retire as celtics. It would suck if pierce weren't a lifelong Celtic.

leprechaun5
06-23-2013, 08:26 PM
why does bos need to buy kg out if he retires? Isn't a contract contingent on the player showing up to the team? Why would they be obligated to pay him anything if he decides not to play?

any money paid to a player is included in team salary, even if the player is no longer playing or has retired.

There is one exception whereby a player can continue to receive his salary, but the salary is excluded from team salary. This is when a player suffers a career-ending injury or illness. The team must waive the player, and can apply for this salary exclusion on the one-year anniversary of the last game in which the player played1. Only the player's team at the time the injury or illness was discovered (or reasonably should have been discovered) can apply for this salary exclusion.

cba .

hugepatsfan
06-23-2013, 08:28 PM
cba .

Does "included in team salary" mean for luxury tax and cap room calculation purposes or for actual payroll?

mgsports
06-23-2013, 08:29 PM
After David Stern retires Trade Garnett to Clips. Pierce Magic or so on would be good.

abe_froman
06-23-2013, 08:31 PM
Why would they buy him out if they deals on the table offering draft picks for him where they wouldn't have to take back any contracts?
see another thread which i spoke of this.out of respect to him and what he's done for them,players around the league notice that stuff and talk among each other.if your team gets a rep for not handling the end well ,they wont sign with your team for years.(after the bulls break up of the dynasty ,we gained a rep for being bad to players and star free agents would turn us down for years and years afterwards.even mutumbo way past his good days refused to even get on the plane to chicago after we traded for him back in '06 i think,thats why we had to deal him to houston)

hugepatsfan
06-23-2013, 08:34 PM
The NBA won't let the Celtics trade KG to the Clippers even if they wanted to so what can they do?

TrAv=MaGiCfReAk
06-23-2013, 09:17 PM
After David Stern retires Trade Garnett to Clips. Pierce Magic or so on would be good.

Ignore this troll of a magic fan plz....

rockets-fan
06-23-2013, 09:45 PM
Wishful thinking here but....

Trade Garnett to the Rockets , if he waives his no trade clause. Move him back to the 4 the position the rockets really need. Trade him for Asik, filler, 2nd round pick? This after signing Howard (IF).

Lin
Harden
Parsons
Garnett
Howard

:drool:

That should make Houston at least a Contender for two years, AT LEAST.

B'sCeltsPatsSox
06-23-2013, 09:48 PM

Trade Garnett to the Rockets , if he waives his no trade clause. Move him back to the 4 the position the rockets really need. Trade him for Asik, filler, 2nd round pick? This after signing Howard (IF).

Lin
Harden
Parsons
Garnett
Howard

Give us T-Rob:shrug:

xxplayerxx23
06-23-2013, 09:51 PM

That would be good for both teams. Trob is Ganna be a stud and harden with kg and Dwight down low is nasty. But wouldn't it have to be asik and trob for salary reason?

rockets-fan
06-23-2013, 09:51 PM

I'd guess he'd be gone before they traded for him since we need to move his contract to make room for Howard's max.

rockets-fan
06-23-2013, 09:52 PM
That would be good for both teams. Trob is Ganna be a stud and harden with kg and Dwight down low is nasty. But wouldn't it have to be asik and trob for salary reason?

Asik trob and another filler I think, jones or smith maybe.

east fb knicks
06-23-2013, 09:54 PM
if the celts are truly rebuilding then buyout pierce and can they amnesty kg or use the stretch clause in a f u stern move just to see both players sign with the clippers

Cracka2HI!
06-23-2013, 09:59 PM
I think both players could find themselves on the Clippers. The idea I just read of T-Rob for KG makes tons of sense. I can see Pierce staying with the Celtics so they can sell some tickets and keep some respectability. I would like to see him retire a Celtic. You don't players play with 1 team enough these days. Best case scenario for the Clippers off-season is probably getting both KG and Pierce but they will be fine either way and I think both players will as well. I'd hate to see the league force KG to retire.

east fb knicks
06-23-2013, 10:01 PM

Lin
Harden
Parsons
Garnett
Howard

if you guys are going after kg why not throw lin in ther and picks too maybe parsons and whoever else they would want for rondo imagine rondo kg harden d12

rockets-fan
06-23-2013, 10:03 PM
if you guys are going after kg why not throw lin in ther and picks too maybe parsons and whoever else they would want for rondo imagine rondo kg harden d12

Because Morey is IN LOVE with Parsons and Lin. I wouldn't mind shipping off Lin Asik Trop and picks for Rondo Garnett but I doubt either GM would go for that.

rockets-fan
06-23-2013, 10:05 PM
Rondo
Harden
Parsons
KG
Howard

Get it done MOREY!

kblo247
06-23-2013, 10:54 PM
If Houston were serious

Trade 1: KG for 2 second rounders and Trob from Houston
Trade 2: KG for Deandre and a pick
Trade 3: Pierce for Deandre
Step 4: Buyout Pierce for 5 mil
Step 5: Let Pierce sign with the Clippers
Step 6: Sign Dwight
Step 7: Tell the league **** you, as its all legal, and Boston keeps its image and get Jordan, LAC get who they wanted trio wise while also keeping Bledsoe and Blake, and Houston gets space for a maxed out Dwight and a pick for helping this all along to stash overseas

bleedprple&gold
06-23-2013, 11:26 PM
I think KG retires if he can't get to the Clippers. He said he only wants to play for Doc at this point. I think Pierce will get traded to the Cavs most likely.

Sportfan
06-23-2013, 11:40 PM
Chicago for Boozer and Mirotic or CHA pick. He loves Thibs. Chicago's D is NASTY

Jason44
06-23-2013, 11:56 PM
Somehow the grizzlies need to get pierce. I don't think he would play there but I think if be wants to go to a contender it's them or the clippers.

bagwell368
06-24-2013, 07:14 AM
Let kg and pierce retire as celtics. It would suck if pierce weren't a lifelong Celtic.

Screw that. Celts paid him ~$169+M in his career. His numbers is being retired. The players wanted to max their money and make it a business. Fine. One banner for $169,486,218.00 - he got his, now get out of the way.

TheNumber37
06-24-2013, 07:49 AM
nets, nuggets, bulls, spurs, thunder, warriors, rockets if Howard goes there.

mgsports
06-24-2013, 07:57 AM
How about Garnett to Magic for Second Pick and then Garnett/Aaron A. to the Clips for Jordan/Bledsoe/Butler?
Pierce to Miami for Cole/Anthony/Draft Picks?

xxplayerxx23
06-24-2013, 08:32 AM
Boston would never trade with the heat

Sportfan
06-24-2013, 09:50 AM
I know fans are enamored with any player under th age of 25 but I think Chicago and OKC both should take a shot at Kg/Pierce

Kg for Perkins, Lamb, pick #12. Celtics buyout pierce who signs with Thunder to replace K-Mart
Westy/Thabo/Durant/Ibaka/KG 6th man:pierce
KG and for Boozer, Butler, Cha pick/Mirotic. Bills sign pierce. Could add Lee/Terry as well
Rose/Pierce/Deng/KG/Noah. That D

bagwell368
06-24-2013, 09:57 AM
Boston would never trade with the heat

I'd love to trade them Rondo, Terry... you name it.

Bosh isn't special and never was. Wade who is a top 25 all time NBA player is falling quickly due to age. LeBron might be on the way out of town.... I'd be dealing them for #1's from 2016 onward, they could be great picks. Even if the Heat win the next two titles thanks to these moves I don't care, we can't win now, and we could throw them into the abyss for years after if DA figures out the outlines of their future well enough.

Plus Rondo is a team wrecker waiting to happen in Miami... BWAHAHAHAHAHHAHA!

TrAv=MaGiCfReAk
06-24-2013, 09:59 AM
I like the idea of them going to Chicago or Oklahoma City but you have Boston getting way too much for washed up about to retire players

Jarvo
06-24-2013, 10:34 AM
KG to Bulls or Spurs but him and Duncan hate each other.

CubsBullsBucs
06-24-2013, 12:05 PM
ya i would LOVE to get KG, even pierce too. We'll give you Boozer and the Charolotte pick, but thats it. You aint getting Butler or anyone else.

Pierce and KG for Boozer and CHA pick

or

KG for Boozer and Marquis Teague

:shrug:

ambisme56
06-24-2013, 12:15 PM
Both will be with Brooklyn next season.

KG gets bought out and signs vet minimum. Pierce gets traded for Humphries and Brooks.

WHODAT8o8
06-24-2013, 12:47 PM
http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=k9dpw3q

Problem solved. Stern cant say that this is a deal split into two because now the orlando magic are involved. Garnett and afflalo goes to Clips, Jordan + 1st rd pick goes to celtics, and bledsoe and butler (to make salaries work) goes to magic.

6cadi6
06-24-2013, 01:04 PM
Why would anyone trade for Pierce? Makes no sense.

hugepatsfan
06-24-2013, 01:17 PM

Trading for him lets you use the MLE on someone else. You trade a worse player making about 12 million and an expendable young player back to BOS for the upgrade and then have the MLE to make another improvement.

You can send back BOS a salary you don't want and then buy Pierce out for 5 million to get the extra cap space. BOS gets back asset(s) int he trade for taking on the unwanted salary.

bagwell368
06-24-2013, 01:17 PM

Only if you have a toxic/injured player(s) you'd rather pay a pick to get rid of - and oh yeah, you have to be a top 8 team in the NBA to even think that way. Otherwise C's buy him out and you get him for the MLE and lose no pick.

bleedprple&gold
06-24-2013, 01:20 PM
http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=k9dpw3q

Problem solved. Stern cant say that this is a deal split into two because now the orlando magic are involved. Garnett and afflalo goes to Clips, Jordan + 1st rd pick goes to celtics, and bledsoe and butler (to make salaries work) goes to magic.

That trade makes sense for everyone involved but Stern could still veto it Magic or no Magic. Stern does whatever he wants.

bbcmillionaire
06-24-2013, 01:51 PM
Kg gets cut and signs with the bulls.
Rose
Butler
Deng
Boozer
Noah
Kg,Gibson, and Kirk off the bench for defense...

kobe4thewinbang
06-24-2013, 04:04 PM
How can the league block the Jordan/Garnett trade? What's bad about it?

:shrug:

bostncelts34
06-24-2013, 04:21 PM
How about Garnett to Magic for Second Pick and then Garnett/Aaron A. to the Clips for Jordan/Bledsoe/Butler?
Pierce to Miami for Cole/Anthony/Draft Picks?

None of that makes any sense, especially Pierce to Miami....why in the world would the celtics trade with Miami? especially Pierce for Cole + crap.