PDA

View Full Version : OFFICIAL: Clips, Celts reach deal for Rivers

king4day
06-23-2013, 06:25 PM
After days of wrangling, negotiating and posturing, the Los Angeles Clippers have agreed in principle to a deal with the Celtics for coach Doc Rivers, pending league approval, according to sources.

Sources confirmed on Sunday that the Clippers will sign Rivers to a three-year, $21 million contract. They will send a first-round pick as compensation for the Boston Celtics, who have agreed to release the coach from the three years, $21 million he has remaining on his deal with the club.

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/9415256/los-angeles-clippers-clips-agree-principle-doc-rivers-deal-sources

Closed the other thread since it was all over the place.
Credit to richiesaurus310 for first posting the article about it.

Cracka2HI!
06-23-2013, 06:29 PM
Clippers get Doc at their price. All the haters were dead wrong again. The Clippers aren't what people still want to believe they are. They are 1st class organization!! I am proud to be a fan!

RipCity32
06-23-2013, 06:31 PM
I'll believe it when the league approves it.

king4day
06-23-2013, 06:33 PM
I'm happy this was done. The league needs this. I don't think there's any question that the KG/Jordan deal gets done still. Then maybe Pierce comes along after getting bought out. It'll give the NBA their first real story for next season and it'll be fun to see what this team can do.

xxplayerxx23
Great you gave a first round pick for a coach! Still doesn't change the fact that there the 4th best west team most likely unless they get a kg or pierce with him :Shrug:

GrumpyOldMan
While head coaches are important I would never give up an unprotected future first round pick for one when there are lots of good coaches out there. Everyone will have different opinions on this but I think Boston did very well here.

Green_Monster
06-23-2013, 06:34 PM
Clippers get Doc at their price. All the haters were dead wrong again. The Clippers aren't what people still want to believe they are. They are 1st class organization!! I am proud to be a fan!

This is at the Clippers price? How so?

The Clippers are not a first class organization. They haven't won anything.

More-Than-Most
06-23-2013, 06:36 PM
So why is giving up a first for a coach a good thing?

mgsports
06-23-2013, 06:38 PM
Danny Ainge could Coach Boston for a year. This starts the Trades for the Draft.

JEDean89
hopefully the coaching dominoes start to fall. predictions....

Denv: Shaw
Memph: Karl
Boston: Hollins or Del Negro

Karl and Hollins could be out of the job next year which would have been unfathomable at the end of last season but here we are, The Nets, Celtics, Hawks, Bucks, Nuggets, Grizz and now Clipps have all lost their head coaching gigs.

MTL_123
If they dont get KG it doesn't matter their probably gonna get knocked out in the second round anyways

jrm2054
06-23-2013, 06:39 PM
Paul is happy and that's worth the 1st

Cracka2HI!
06-23-2013, 06:41 PM
This is at the Clippers price? How so?

The Clippers are not a first class organization. They haven't won anything.

They got him for 1 pick. I think that's a great price. The Clippers are one of the best run organizations in the league right now. They have been for a few years now.

king4day
06-23-2013, 06:44 PM
Paul is happy and that's worth the 1st

That's how I look at it too. LAC can't afford to lose Paul. If getting Rivers is what he wants, then you do it. The fact it went from 'Bledsoe, Jordan, and 2 firsts' to '1 first' (and later Jordan for KG possibly) is pretty damn good.

abe_froman
06-23-2013, 06:46 PM

because pierce and kg will follow him there and it makes cp3 happy because thats the guy he wanted in order to stay

TrAv=MaGiCfReAk
06-23-2013, 06:46 PM
And the pick will be in the 20s ... so it is a good price

Clippersfan86
06-23-2013, 06:47 PM
I remember when people said this trade won't do much. Vegas now has Clippers at 3rd best title odds after Miami and OKC. After a couple more trades this summer we may jump to 1st or 2nd.

RiceOnTheRun
While head coaches are important I would never give up an unprotected future first round pick for one when there are lots of good coaches out there. Everyone will have different opinions on this but I think Boston did very well here.

They got him for 1 pick. I think that's a great price. The Clippers are one of the best run organizations in the league right now. They have been for a few years now.

With Doc, the Clippers look to be competitive for at least 4-5 years with their current trajectory. Eventually, BG will be the dominant player as CP3 ages. With that, a first round pick would likely only be in around the mid-20s, which I think would be more than worth it for a coach of Doc's caliber. If they become a lottery team with CP3, Blake and Doc Rivers as a coach, losing that pick would be the least of their worries.

Clippersfan86
.@WojYahooNBA on Chris Paul's status: "All indications are that he'll re-sign. He'll sign a five-year deal with the Clippers in early July.

Htownballa1622
06-23-2013, 06:49 PM
Good coach. Meh deal. Bigger is signing Paul which I feel they will. Still going to find it tough to get out of west.

Clippersfan86
06-23-2013, 06:50 PM
Good coach. Meh deal. Bigger is signing Paul which I feel they will. Still going to find it tough to get out of west.

Always tough on west but if they acquire a couple more pieces this summer which they no doubt will... they could be favored in the west. Vegas has bumped them to 3rd best title odds after Miami and OKC when this news broke.

redsoxknicks
06-23-2013, 06:51 PM
I have definitely lost respect for Doc. If he wanted a break from coaching all together, or if some family commitment prompted him needing time off, then I could understand.

But to leave Boston now, as they are careening down from contention, feels devious and ring-chasing. I know it happens a lot, but I didn't expect it from Doc.

Just like many athletes, Chris Paul, as one example, wants to be in the bright lights of a larger market, but I wasn't expecting that mentality from Doc. Many of the players, yes, but not him.

Htownballa1622
06-23-2013, 06:54 PM
Always tough on west but if they acquire a couple more pieces this summer which they no doubt will... they could be favored in the west. Vegas has bumped them to 3rd best title odds after Miami and OKC when this news broke.

I'm curious as to what player(s) can put y'all over miami or okc. Who's on your mind?

xxplayerxx23
06-23-2013, 06:54 PM
U better hope Paul resigns. Lol clippers aren't real contenders

Heat
Bulls
Pacers
Okc
Spurs
A healthy nuggets if iggy returns
Are all better and hell if the lakers ever co exist there better but I wouldn't count on the last part haha. Oh yeah and if you don't get some big men you won't beat the grizz

Clippersfan86
06-23-2013, 06:56 PM
I'm curious as to what player(s) can put y'all over miami or okc. Who's on your mind?

Afflalo+KG+Pierce. All 3 realistic targets, although KG may not happen because of this.

Ken Berger ‏@KBergCBS 4m
Agreement in principle for Doc Rivers to coach Clippers comes with understanding of no subsequent exchange of players between teams.

Which seems wrong. To say these teams CANNOT make trades any longer.

Clippersfan86
06-23-2013, 06:58 PM
U better hope Paul resigns. Lol clippers aren't real contenders

Heat
Bulls
Pacers
Okc
Spurs
A healthy nuggets if iggy returns
Are all better and hell if the lakers ever co exist there better but I wouldn't count on the last part haha. Oh yeah and if you don't get some big men you won't beat the grizz

You talk a lot buddy. We'll see what happens this year. You still think CP3 won't resign, then the joke is on you.

MackShock
06-23-2013, 07:00 PM
rivers is way overrated still.

xxplayerxx23
06-23-2013, 07:02 PM
You talk a lot buddy. We'll see what happens this year. You still think CP3 won't resign, then the joke is on you.

I talk a lot? Even if he resigns what does that mean? If you don't get some help your team is a second round knockout at best

GrumpyOldMan
06-23-2013, 07:02 PM
Afflalo+KG+Pierce. All 3 realistic targets, although KG may not happen because of this.

Ken Berger ‏@KBergCBS 4m
Agreement in principle for Doc Rivers to coach Clippers comes with understanding of no subsequent exchange of players between teams.

That seems unfair to me, but how do you think the Clips will acquire Pierce and Garnett without trading for them? Aren't they both under contract for another year or 2?

IversonIsKrazy
06-23-2013, 07:04 PM
Wtf lol. I did not take this seriously, a coach got traded. Something new defs. End of the day, a 2015 first which will prlly be a 20-something pick to keep CP3 happy is a fair price. As of now, I dont see Clips much better, but interested as to what other deals they got in the works

Htownballa1622
06-23-2013, 07:04 PM

Ken Berger ‏@KBergCBS 4m

paul
afflalo
pierce
blake
kg

looks good on paper but so did Lakers last year. Therefore, i'd still put Miami, Okc before Clips.

We shall see though.

abe_froman
06-23-2013, 07:05 PM
That seems unfair to me, but how do you think the Clips will acquire Pierce and Garnett without trading for them? Aren't they both under contract for another year or 2?
pp is likely to be bought out this summer,but yes it closes the door on kg

Clippersfan86
06-23-2013, 07:05 PM
I talk a lot? Even if he resigns what does that mean? If you don't get some help your team is a second round knockout at best

A Knicks fan talking about what it takes to advance or improve? Knicks have been to the 2nd round less than the freaking Clippers in the last decade. Your constant Clipper bashing is lame.

Clippersfan86
06-23-2013, 07:06 PM
paul
afflalo
pierce
blake
kg

looks good on paper but so did Lakers last year. Therefore, i'd still put Miami, Okc before Clips.

We shall see though.

Of course, so would I. Until they prove themselves and especially stay healthy I'm not saying they WILL be better. Just saying the move into the true elite discussion if healthy. We likely trade Bledsoe for Afflalo+stretch 4 Nicholson. Then we just need to sign Pierce for MLE. DJ will likely thrive under Doc but if not we can move him too.

People don't realize TALENT wise we have been a top 3 team the last two years. The issue has been health, **** coaching. So to act like 1st or 2nd round team is our cap, is beyond ignorant. We are one of 4 teams that have TWO top 20 players. The other 3 were the Thunder, Heat and Spurs.

A_Bynum_sucks
06-23-2013, 07:08 PM
Dwight will now force his way to the Clippers. Tell Lakers, either trade me there, or I walk outright.

Can Laker fans say HELLO to DeAndre Jordan & Caron Butler..( The Sequel )

LakersMaster24
06-23-2013, 07:09 PM
Didn't the league already say they won't allow a separate KG trade due to the fact that it is simply one trade broken down into 2 parts?

goingfor28
06-23-2013, 07:10 PM
A late 1st rounder 3 drafts from now. Good deal for clipps. Great hire IMO and pretty much sures cp3 will go back to them. Excellent first step to the clippers offseason.

sunsfan88
06-23-2013, 07:12 PM
I don't get it why the hell does the NBA care so much about whether the Clippers trade for KG from Boston?

Its not like either team is getting ripped off and they followed the rules technically.

Clippersfan86
06-23-2013, 07:13 PM

KG cannot be acquired most likely with the embargo deal but Pierce was rumored to likely be bought out soon. His choice would be the Clippers for MLE according to all reports. Only way this DOESN'T happen is if he is traded.

xxplayerxx23
06-23-2013, 07:15 PM
A Knicks fan talking about what it takes to advance or improve? Knicks have been to the 2nd round less than the freaking Clippers in the last decade. Your constant Clipper bashing is lame.

I can care less. The clippers are not a threat by just adding doc. Add kg and I will consider them the second best team in the west.did I mention the Knicks? We have out own problems, all I said was your not a threat to make sure Paul signs and add a player to help.

abe_froman
06-23-2013, 07:16 PM
I don't get it why the hell does the NBA care so much about whether the Clippers trade for KG from Boston?

Its not like either team is getting ripped off and they followed the rules technically.
i dont like thinking any league wants to favor/help some teams and not others...but i think its because they want to help some teams but not others.its like the takeies backies last year with cp3 to lakers.i think they think it would present a real challenge to the heat(we can debate if it would,but i think they think it),they want lebron to have his dynasty ,its been good for business

xxplayerxx23
06-23-2013, 07:16 PM
Reports were they were looking to trade pierce why would the buy him out?

BKLYNpigeon
06-23-2013, 07:18 PM
hahah,

Stan Van Gundy
Byron Scott
Nate McMillan
Jerry Sloan
Lionel Hollins

would have been cheaper and wouldnt cost you a first round pick.

ThunderousDemon
06-23-2013, 07:19 PM
Via Marc Stein

ESPN source says NBA does NOT intend to budge from Stern's stance & would see subsequent KG-to-Clips deal as connected & thus in violation

Via Marc Stein

In multiple radio interviews Thursday, Stern made it clear NBA sees idea of Doc & KG both landing with Clips as one trade broken into two
https://twitter.com/ESPNSteinLine

Clippersfan86
06-23-2013, 07:21 PM
I can care less. The clippers are not a threat by just adding doc. Add kg and I will consider them the second best team in the west.did I mention the Knicks? We have out own problems, all I said was your not a threat to make sure Paul signs and add a player to help.

The Knicks haven't been a threat since the 90's. Who gives a fu** what you say about my team kid? Let it go.

xxplayerxx23
06-23-2013, 07:22 PM
The Knicks haven't been a threat since the 90's. Who gives a fu** what you say about my team kid? Let it go.

Well it's obvious you do. You comment on my posts. Knicks have nothing todo with it! You have yet to prove how just adding doc makes any difference.

Chronz
06-23-2013, 07:22 PM

It may get ugly...

I can see KG getting released and Pierce traded/bought out

TrAv=MaGiCfReAk
06-23-2013, 07:24 PM
I'm confused too...so they can trade for a coach in a sense but can't get kg now? Whether its one deal or 2 wtf does it matter? I don't get it

sunsfan88
06-23-2013, 07:27 PM
I'm confused too...so they can trade for a coach in a sense but can't get kg now? Whether its one deal or 2 wtf does it matter? I don't get it
Yea this is what I don't get either. Did Stern make up these rules when he was drunk or something?

BKLYNpigeon
06-23-2013, 07:27 PM

getting Doc Rivers basically secured CP3 for an extension.

xxplayerxx23
06-23-2013, 07:30 PM
It may get ugly...

I think there Ganna try and get value for both. Wouldn't make sense for them just to buy them out no?

GrumpyOldMan
06-23-2013, 07:31 PM
If Boston can even get a second round pick or 2 for an expiring Pierce why would they buy him out? There must be a team out there that is under the cap and wants to load up on a big expiring or 2 to go after LBJ if he opts out.

PraiseJesus
06-23-2013, 07:33 PM
This is a bit unprecedented but at the end of the day they are trading a first rounder for Doc AND CP3

Good move by the Clippers I hope it works out for them

JustASportsFan
06-23-2013, 07:34 PM

Larry Coon (CBAFAQ website guy) was asked about this a couple of days ago... hopefully this helps.

QUESTION: Larry, if a coach CAN be traded for a pick why can’t they be combined w/ a deal involving players? Net result in this Clippers/Celtics rumor is Coach and a player in one direction and a player and picks in the other. I don’t understand the logic of the league threatening to veto this deal…

Larry Coon REPLIES:

First, let’s get this technicality out of the way — coaches can’t be traded. What we’re talking about is one team compensating another for releasing their coach from his contract and waiving his non-compete clause.

With that out of the way — there IS precedent for teams compensating other teams with picks in exchange for coaching accommodation. It happened with Chris Wallace, and it happened with Stan Van Gundy. But those things were outside the purview of the CBA. The CBA covers the relationship between the league and players. Future picks are not players. For example, issues regarding future picks (like the seven-year rule or the Ted Stepien rule) aren’t to be found in the CBA at all.

But if you throw Garnett into the deal, now you’re bringing a player into the mix, and now you’re dealing with the CBA and its rules for trading players. There is nothing in the CBA allowing a player to be moved where a coaching accommodation is a part of the deal. Such a deal would not be allowed.

“So we’ll just split it into two trades,” they say. “Garnett for Jordan, and Doc for future picks.” But that’s an extremely transparent attempt to make the aforementioned illegal trade legal, and the league would prevent it under the general prohibition against circumvention.

The only way it might be allowed is if they forget about the players, and do the Doc-picks deal now, then revisit Garnett-Jordan after a sufficient amount of time has passed.

The CBA has many rules in place that force a sufficient time lapse to ensure (or at least presume) that deals aren’t connected:

* If a team trades a player and they waive him, he can’t re-sign for a year.
* If a team acquires a player via trade, they can’t aggregate him in another trade for two months.
* If a team signs a free agent, they can’t trade him for three months or until December 15, whichever is later.
* A big extension and a trade have to be separated by at least six months.

…etc.

How much time would have to lapse? Beats me — this case is undefined.

A_Bynum_sucks
06-23-2013, 07:34 PM
The thing is, I think Pierce has Veto power over any trade. I know Cleveland offered their 2, 2nd rounders for Pierce. Can't see why Boston wouldn't take that, unless Pierce declined it.

richiesaurus310
06-23-2013, 07:35 PM
Now what do the Clippers do to improve the roster? Imo KG or Dwight isn't gonna happen, but something must be done to get this team to take the next step.

Assuming CP3 re-signs I think what the Clipps need is a big man that can shoot to open up room for Blake. Paul Millsap and David West fit the bill. This would still require moving DeAndre Jordan to a team with cap and with a need at center. I still don't think that will be too hard to do.

Also the Clipps need a perimeter shooter that can play D, so hopefully Caron Butler and Eric Bledsoe can get us Aaron Afflalo.

Chris Paul
Aaron Afflalo
Matt Barnes?
Blake Griffin
Paul Millsap or David West

Jamal Crawford
Willie Green
Center

Yea it'd be a small lineup, but Duncan will be gone within a year or two, Dwight may not be in the West, and after that who is left in the West?

5ass
06-23-2013, 07:35 PM
Kg is going to the clippers, but even if he doesnt, theyre still going to be an elite team. Well see some improvements from both blake and griffin. The afflalo trade has to happen i really want bledsoe.

NFLNBA
06-23-2013, 07:40 PM

A first class organization lmao thats like saying the Wizards are a 1st class organization....neither of them franchises have done jack! There are 3 1st class organizations in the NBA....Lakers, Celtics, Spurs and spurs are way behind these 2.

xxplayerxx23
06-23-2013, 07:40 PM
How would they get Milsap or west????

--23--
06-23-2013, 07:47 PM
:confused: Can someone explain how can they trade a pick for a coach? Didn't Stern just say the CBA doesn't authorize trades involving coaches contracts.

thomass
06-23-2013, 07:51 PM
Ubuntu!!!!

iFYouSeekAmy
06-23-2013, 07:51 PM
but the deal for Pierce and KG is still in the works right?

Chronz
06-23-2013, 07:52 PM
I think there Ganna try and get value for both. Wouldn't make sense for them just to buy them out no?
Well KG has ultimate control of his situation. He cant get traded anywhere he doesnt want. And while Pierce can, I dont think they would just throw him anywhere without his consent.

What your asking is what would be whats best for them financially, but morally? If you treat your once franchise players like trash, thats not gonna look to good to some future prospects.

xxplayerxx23
06-23-2013, 08:02 PM
Well KG has ultimate control of his situation. He cant get traded anywhere he doesnt want. And while Pierce can, I dont think they would just throw him anywhere without his consent.

What your asking is what would be whats best for them financially, but morally? If you treat your once franchise players like trash, thats not gonna look to good to some future prospects.

Very true but its a business you can't just let them go without getting some kind of compensation.

lakerboy
06-23-2013, 08:03 PM
From "BEAT LA" to join LA.

I can't stand the Celtics. UGH.

RLundi
06-23-2013, 08:07 PM
A first class organization lmao thats like saying the Wizards are a 1st class organization....neither of them franchises have done jack! There are 3 1st class organizations in the NBA....Lakers, Celtics, Spurs and spurs are way behind these 2.

Bulls?

richiesaurus310
06-23-2013, 08:07 PM
How would they get Milsap or west????

They're both free agents I believe. With Caron and Bledsoe traded, and DeAndre given away the Clippers would have $8,776,569 in salary cap, assuming CP3 is getting paid $18,000,000 next season. It's possible he'd take a little less to land Another player just like the Miami big 3 did.

The players on the Clippers roster for next season with DeAndre, Caron, and Bledsoe traded:
Chris Paul $18,000,000
Blake Griffin $17,348,924
Aaron Afflalo $7,750,000
Jamal Crawford $5,225,000
Willie Green $1,399,507

Total- $49,723,431
Cap room- $8,776,569

Crackadalic
06-23-2013, 08:08 PM
So the first rounder was for them saying"sorry for taking your coach. Will make it up to you by giving a late 1st rounder" I don't think I've ever seen a situation like this. Also said the same thing when stern veto the cp3 trade to LA so I'm not surprise. They still need to improve the roster if they not getting kg or pierce.

effen5
06-23-2013, 08:09 PM
If the league approves this, this is fantastic for the Clips...I'd be afraid to see what the Clips would do with an actual coach...

MagicBucsSox
06-23-2013, 08:09 PM
Now Blake for Howard is next

MagicBucsSox
06-23-2013, 08:10 PM
So the first rounder was for them saying"sorry for taking your coach. Will make it up to you by giving a late 1st rounder" I don't think I've ever seen a situation like this. Also said the same thing when stern veto the cp3 trade to LA so I'm not surprise. They still need to improve the roster if they not getting kg or pierce.
Pat Riley and SVG were both traded for picks

xxplayerxx23
06-23-2013, 08:12 PM
They're both free agents I believe. With Caron and Bledsoe traded, and DeAndre given away the Clippers would have $8,289,099 in salary cap, assuming CP3 is getting paid $18,000,000 next season. It's possible he'd take a little less to land Another player.
The players on the Clippers roster for next season with DeAndre, Caron, and Bledsoe traded:
Chris Paul $18,000,000
Aaron Aflallo $7,750,000
Willie Green $1,399,507

Total- $49,723,431
Cap room- $8,776,569

Well they would have to trade butler and Jordan

Crackadalic
06-23-2013, 08:13 PM
Pat Riley and SVG were both traded for picks

Interesting didnt know that. Just wonder how long they have to wait if they gotta trade for KG

Chronz
06-23-2013, 08:13 PM
Very true but its a business you can't just let them go without getting some kind of compensation.
What you arent understanding is that if you force KG to retire, you still arent getting any kind of compensation. Only this way you saved some money (can range between substantial to insignificant depending on the buy out) and you've alienated your franchise.

In a business you still have to worry about moral choices and how other potential free agents can view the team.

MagicBucsSox
06-23-2013, 08:15 PM
Interesting didnt know that. Just wonder how long they have to wait if they gotta trade for KG

Nba already stated kg cannot be traded there this season

shep33
06-23-2013, 08:15 PM
Good trade for both teams. Clips looking good.

xxplayerxx23
06-23-2013, 08:16 PM
What you arent understanding is that if you force KG to retire, you still arent getting any kind of compensation. Only this way you saved some money (can range between substantial to insignificant depending on the buy out) and you've alienated your franchise.

In a business you still have to worry about moral choices and how other potential free agents can view the team.

I meant on pierce. I understand kg. I guess you are right but they were good to pierce. But it the cavs offer is the best one I guess it doesn't matter they could just buy him out

sammyvine
06-23-2013, 08:16 PM
I have definitely lost respect for Doc. If he wanted a break from coaching all together, or if some family commitment prompted him needing time off, then I could understand.

But to leave Boston now, as they are careening down from contention, feels devious and ring-chasing. I know it happens a lot, but I didn't expect it from Doc.

Just like many athletes, Chris Paul, as one example, wants to be in the bright lights of a larger market, but I wasn't expecting that mentality from Doc. Many of the players, yes, but not him.

This

seems when boston got old he bolted out. didnt wanna be put of a rebuild.

that said danny ainge didnt want to pay him that much when they are clearly years away from being a contender again.

sammyvine
06-23-2013, 08:19 PM
They're both free agents I believe. With Caron and Bledsoe traded, and DeAndre given away the Clippers would have $8,776,569 in salary cap, assuming CP3 is getting paid $18,000,000 next season. It's possible he'd take a little less to land Another player just like the Miami big 3 did.

Chris Paul $18,000,000
Aaron Afflalo $7,750,000
Willie Green $1,399,507

Total- $49,723,431
Cap room- $8,776,569

wtf blake griffin will be on 17m next year?

looool he isnt worth that! He will be earning more than curry, westbrook, harden etc.. and he isnt better than any of those players

abe_froman
06-23-2013, 08:20 PM
I meant on pierce. I understand kg. I guess you are right but they were good to pierce. But it the cavs offer is the best one I guess it doesn't matter they could just buy him out
they can get better offers than the cavs deal,but they'd buy him out unless its a contender out of respect for what he was to the organization and to send a signal through the league that they're player friendly (thus helping in getting players to want to go there).believe me,you dont want that tag.the bulls were tagged as not player friendly after the dynasty break up and stars would avoid us like the plague for a decade

BigCityofDreams
Good trade for both teams. Clips looking good.

They have the best basketball coach in LA. When was the last time that happened?

Green_Monster

No. The Clippers wouldn't have been able to sign Doc unless the Celtics gave them permission.

shep33
06-23-2013, 08:21 PM
They have the best basketball coach in LA. When was the last time that happened?

Haha last year. Vinny was probably better than MDA lol

Jarvo
06-23-2013, 08:24 PM
They still have the same roster though, Until Blake shows people more still a 2nd-WCF team.

--23--
06-23-2013, 08:27 PM
Nba already stated kg cannot be traded there this season

When was this?

sammyvine
06-23-2013, 08:32 PM
is doc rivers that a good coach?

Swift Game
06-23-2013, 08:32 PM
This could now lead to Blake + Bledsoe for.Dwight. I don't think the Lakers would accept Jordan and butler by the way, they would be better off signing West or Milsap outright.

BigCityofDreams
06-23-2013, 08:36 PM
Haha last year. Vinny was probably better than MDA lol

:D

Just thought about it you're right lol

BigCityofDreams
06-23-2013, 08:37 PM
is doc rivers that a good coach?

He's not the greatest coach ever but I think he is a top coach in the league.

Clippersfan86
06-23-2013, 08:39 PM
http://m.espn.go.com/general/story?storyId=9415667&city=losangeles&src=desktop

Epic read. The Clippers are here to stay.

LakersMaster24
06-23-2013, 08:43 PM
I always thought Rivers is a bit overrated as a coach. However, its a sure upgrade over Del Negro.

Clippersfan86
06-23-2013, 08:46 PM
Alvin Gentry or Lawrence Frank will be Doc's lead assistant. Epic coaching staff.

Sly Guy
06-23-2013, 09:04 PM
I'll believe it when the league approves it.

me too. Considering Stern's scathing remarks about any deal involving coaches violates the CBA.

Cracka2HI!
06-23-2013, 09:15 PM

The team won 19 games in 08-09, 29 in 09-10, 32 in 10-11 and now they are a 56 win team that has the highest paid coach in the league(I think) and they about to re-ink the top free agent on the market. I know what their history is, but the fact is right now they are run as well as any organization in the NBA. They are right up there at the very least. I'm not talking about their history, I'm talking about todays NBA.

Tony_Starks
06-23-2013, 09:19 PM
Great move by the paper Clipps. I don't know why they were being such sticklers about the pick in the first place, it'll be bottom of the 1st round.

I also like the fact they can't get Garnett now I thought that was a bad "have to win it the first year" type deal.

east fb knicks
06-23-2013, 09:26 PM
good move but unless they upgrade the roster I could still see cp3 going to the rockets with d12

Clippersfan86
06-23-2013, 09:28 PM
good move but unless they upgrade the roster I could still see cp3 going to the rockets with d12

Man why do people keep saying this? Clippers have added an average of EIGHT new players the last two summers. VERY aggressive in free agency and trades. No reason at all they WOULDN'T improve the roster and before the Doc stuff reports are out that the front office will "shake every tree" to improve the roster.

Alex Kennedy ‏@AlexKennedyNBA 7m
I texted a few Clippers players off the record about the Doc Rivers move. They're understandably ecstatic. They can't wait to play for him.

east fb knicks
06-23-2013, 09:32 PM
Man why do people keep saying this? Clippers have added an average of EIGHT new players the last two summers. VERY aggressive in free agency and trades. No reason at all they WOULDN'T improve the roster and before the Doc stuff reports are out that the front office will "shake every tree" to improve the roster.

Alex Kennedy ‏@AlexKennedyNBA 7m
I texted a few Clippers players off the record about the Doc Rivers move. They're understandably ecstatic. They can't wait to play for him.

it still doesn't change the fact cp3 wants to play with d12 and hou with cp3 and d12 > clips you get it

Snakeyestx
06-23-2013, 09:32 PM
Doesn't the CBA say you can't trade players or picks for coaches?

If this goes through, it just goes to show how flimsy the "rules" are. :rolleyes:

THE MTL
06-23-2013, 09:40 PM
How can you trade a coach for a pick? is this even legal? so I guess future trades going to include coaches now too lmao

Clippersfan86
06-23-2013, 09:40 PM
it still doesn't change the fact cp3 wants to play with d12 and hou with cp3 and d12 > clips you get it

CP3's staying, it's a done deal now. Woj rarely jumps the gun and claims CP3's pretty much a lock to stay and he doesn't even like our organization. Houston can't afford both, Clippers won't S&T with them because CP3 is signing his contract by July 2nd. CP3 has DISCUSSED playing with Dwight like most stars do now.. but he never "wanted" to. In fact Broussard's bogus report claims CP3's STRONG priority is to play for the CLIPPERS with Dwight, not elsewhere.

Sorry but nobody is leaving a contender in LA for a Houston team.

Clippersfan86
06-23-2013, 09:41 PM
Doesn't the CBA say you can't trade players or picks for coaches?

If this goes through, it just goes to show how flimsy the "rules" are. :rolleyes:

Sigh some people don't read. No trade is taking place. It's a compensation package to get Boston to release their clause on Doc which IS legal.

Cracka2HI!
06-23-2013, 09:42 PM
http://m.espn.go.com/general/story?storyId=9415667&city=losangeles&src=desktop

Epic read. The Clippers are here to stay.

That was a great read. It's just like I've been saying even before we finally got this done. We are a first class organization now. The Doc signing only reaffirms that. I've been saying all along I have full confidence in the organization and today they proved me right! My favorite part of the article was when he talks about KG being willing waive his no-trade clause to play for the Clippers when the reason players get no-trade clauses was to avoid playing for teams like the Clippers. Well the team the Clippers USED to be! I'm stoked!!

ArmLaker
06-23-2013, 09:42 PM
Let's trade Mike D'Antoni to the Bobcats for Michael Jordan. Do it Mitch!

Clippersfan86
06-23-2013, 09:43 PM
That was a great read. It's just like I've been saying even before we finally got this done. We are a first class organization now. The Doc signing only reaffirms that. I've been saying all along I have full confidence in the organization and today they proved me right! My favorite part of the article was when he talks about KG being willing waive his no-trade clause to play for the Clippers when the reason players get no-trade clauses was to avoid playing for teams like the Clippers. Well the team the Clippers USED to be! I'm stoked!!

We are going to hire Gentry or Hollins as his lead assistant and make a couple trades in the coming weeks too. Players+coaches have consistently called this a cream of the crop organization the last couple years. Love Knicks fans of all people bashing us when ex Knicks players come here calling our organization superior, even WITH Sterling.

xxplayerxx23
06-23-2013, 09:48 PM
Lol clipper fan is a joke. You comment on the fans not the criticism. It's simple
Paul
Crawford
Butler
Griffin
Jordan is not enough to win a championship. All I said was you need another piece to compete and you *****.

rockets-fan
06-23-2013, 09:49 PM
Paul is a lock to stay now, I love my Rockets but Doc is a great coach...and the Clips are showing they will do what it takes for a ring. It would be a smart move for Paul to stay. Show appreciation for what that organization is doing.good job clips making moves and proving people wrong.

Clippersfan86
06-23-2013, 09:50 PM
Seriously this is the chance for Knicks fans to nut up and bet on something. Keep mouthing off about the Clippers when we have a much brighter future and better squad last couple years. CP3+Griffin+Crawford+Bledsoe+DJ (or whoever we trade them for)+Doc>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Melo+Chandler+Felton+Woodson. Jr is leaving, Felton, Chandler and Melo are nearly 30 and not the best fit.

Do Knicks fans feel like they have a better future? I'm confused on the hate from Knicks fans.

ThuglifeJ
06-23-2013, 09:50 PM
CP3's staying, it's a done deal now. Woj rarely jumps the gun and claims CP3's pretty much a lock to stay and he doesn't even like our organization. Houston can't afford both, Clippers won't S&T with them because CP3 is signing his contract by July 2nd. CP3 has DISCUSSED playing with Dwight like most stars do now.. but he never "wanted" to. In fact Broussard's bogus report claims CP3's STRONG priority is to play for the CLIPPERS with Dwight, not elsewhere.

Sorry but nobody is leaving a contender in LA for a Houston team.

You sound nervous

east fb knicks
06-23-2013, 09:51 PM
I don't think the clips got doc for cp3 I think they did it because doc is a great coach and it was the right thing to do but im not gonna lie it probably does help he's there

east fb knicks
06-23-2013, 09:51 PM
You sound nervous

this ^ :D

Clippersfan86
06-23-2013, 09:52 PM
Lol clipper fan is a joke. You comment on the fans not the criticism. It's simple
Paul
Crawford
Butler
Griffin
Jordan is not enough to win a championship. All I said was you need another piece to compete and you *****.

It's idiotic to make an obvious comment to criticize. If you were to say "Clippers need to make another move or two to win the title" I'd agree. But you make it more personally and make stupid comments like "Lol Clippers still ain't winning ****" blah blah blah. Then you wonder why I'm calling you out for your dumb comments? Clippers have been probably THE most aggressive front office in the NBA the last 3 years. Adding an average of 8 players the last two summers. They currently have been in multiple trade talks, have just 5 players under contract. So what would compel you to think the roster we have in place now is what we will stick with? Comon man wake up.

ThuglifeJ
06-23-2013, 09:53 PM
CP3 is a class guy tho..doubt he was gonna leave anyway.

Unless Dwight whines now to CP3 and persuades him to leave.

btw giving up a pick. for a coach. random

xxplayerxx23
06-23-2013, 09:54 PM
Seriously this is the chance for Knicks fans to nut up and bet on something. Keep mouthing off about the Clippers when we have a much brighter future and better squad last couple years. CP3+Griffin+Crawford+Bledsoe+DJ (or whoever we trade them for)+Doc>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Melo+Chandler+Felton+Woodson. Jr is leaving, Felton, Chandler and Melo are nearly 30 and not the best fit.

Do Knicks fans feel like they have a better future? I'm confused on the hate from Knicks fans.

Wtf is wrong with you? Lol who said jr is leaving :pity: nobody compared the Knicks to the clippers lol the clippers are not a true contender without another piece. Nobody here said the Knicks were stop crying like a *****. As it stands right now the clippers are a 2nd round exit. Unless they make a big move and get another player they won't beat okc/Miami/spurs/bulls healthy and pacers
see as I didn't mention the Knicks but I'm sure you will bring them up.

Clippersfan86
06-23-2013, 09:55 PM
CP3 is a class guy tho..doubt he was gonna leave anyway.

Unless Dwight whines now to CP3 and persuades him to leave.

btw giving up a pick. for a coach. random

CP3 has loved it here from day one and that's what all reports have said. Not the same for Dwight who called his time here a "Nightmare". CP3's constantly out on the town with his family and has really plugged himself into the LA community, bought the 9 million dollar home etc. Houston is a SUPERB up and coming team who I think will get Dwight. I just don't see CP3 leaving and even outsiders looking in, find this to be the majority opinion.

goingfor28
06-23-2013, 09:55 PM
Paul is a lock to stay now, I love my Rockets but Doc is a great coach...and the Clips are showing they will do what it takes for a ring. It would be a smart move for Paul to stay. Show appreciation for what that organization is doing.good job clips making moves and proving people wrong.

This guy gets it

xxplayerxx23
06-23-2013, 09:56 PM
It's idiotic to make an obvious comment to criticize. If you were to say "Clippers need to make another move or two to win the title" I'd agree. But you make it more personally and make stupid comments like "Lol Clippers still ain't winning ****" blah blah blah. Then you wonder why I'm calling you out for your dumb comments? Clippers have been probably THE most aggressive front office in the NBA the last 3 years. Adding an average of 8 players the last two summers. They currently have been in multiple trade talks, have just 5 players under contract. So what would compel you to think the roster we have in place now is what we will stick with? Comon man wake up.

That's why I said as of right now. We will see what moves you make. Your obsessed with the clippers being a top team until a move is made you aren't.

Clippersfan86
06-23-2013, 09:58 PM
Wtf is wrong with you? Lol who said jr is leaving :pity: nobody compared the Knicks to the clippers lol the clippers are not a true contender without another piece. Nobody here said the Knicks were stop crying like a *****. As it stands right now the clippers are a 2nd round exit. Unless they make a big move and get another player they won't beat okc/Miami/spurs/bulls healthy and pacers
see as I didn't mention the Knicks but I'm sure you will bring them up.

I have no problem leaving the Knicks out of it. Just found it a bit hypocritical the angle you were coming at. I have a strong hatred for fans proclaiming things like "X will NEVER be this" or "Y will NEVER accomplish this". If somebody tells me Paul George will surpass Michael Jordan or something extreme like that I may say that but it's rare. Point is... no **** the Clippers won't win as currently constructed which is why they are so aggressive to shake the roster up and hire a top 5 coach. If they thought they had what it takes NOW they would be standing pat.

xxplayerxx23
Pierce is a piece that may put you over the top

ThuglifeJ

you're acting a little overexcited about things most organizations do on a normal basis.

welcome to not being the Clippers

Clippersfan86
06-23-2013, 09:59 PM

Respect man. I do not look forward to playing you guys in the playoffs for years to come. Especially if you guys land Dwight. ;)

Clippersfan86
06-23-2013, 10:00 PM
you're acting a little overexcited about things most organizations do on a normal basis.

Clippers have stood out among all 30 teams the last 3 years. In terms of how aggressive they are to sign players, pull the triggers on big trades and do everything to turn a culture for atrocious, to top notch in just 3 years. I mean 2nd straight year as runner up GM of the year. There is a reason for that and it shows massive change.

xxplayerxx23
06-23-2013, 10:01 PM
I have no problem leaving the Knicks out of it. Just found it a bit hypocritical the angle you were coming at. I have a strong hatred for fans proclaiming things like "X will NEVER be this" or "Y will NEVER accomplish this". If somebody tells me Paul George will surpass Michael Jordan or something extreme like that I may say that but it's rare. Point is... no **** the Clippers won't win as currently constructed which is why they are so aggressive to shake the roster up and hire a top 5 coach. If they thought they had what it takes NOW they would be standing pat.

Why because I'm a knick fan I can't know anything about the nba? I like the clippers, big Paul and Crawford fan Nd I even think griffin is good. Like I've said you need another piece. Maybe like you said Bledsoe for affalo and pierce comes over then I think your dangerous.

ThuglifeJ
06-23-2013, 10:03 PM

I don't smoke cigarettes but you should really smoke a cigarette or something.

Clippersfan86
06-23-2013, 10:07 PM
Why because I'm a knick fan I can't know anything about the nba? I like the clippers, big Paul and Crawford fan Nd I even think griffin is good. Like I've said you need another piece. Maybe like you said Bledsoe for affalo and pierce comes over then I think your dangerous.

I approached it from the wrong angle and I apologize. I think I've kind of labeled you a Clipper hater in my head because you've seemed negative about our team to the point of putting it down. Now that I know that's not what you're trying to do, I'll be more aware. Pierce if bought out should come here and Afflalo for Bledsoe is very logical and even probable. The issue is going to be DJ. Can Doc work with him? Or are we better cutting our losses, that's the question.

east fb knicks
06-23-2013, 10:10 PM

lmao how do you guys have a better future you have a better team now but ummm the knicks will have the most cap in 2015 with melo while you guys will still be paying dj who sucks and blake who hasn't showed he's elite yet congrats on the doc signing but you guys still aren't beating okc or the spurs next year and you might not wanna run your mouth so soon cp3 hasn't signed his ext yet but good luck remember how happy the cavs fans were when they got Byron scott doc signing means nothing

xxplayerxx23
06-23-2013, 10:11 PM
I approached it from the wrong angle and I apologize. I think I've kind of labeled you a Clipper hater in my head because you've seemed negative about our team to the point of putting it down. Now that I know that's not what you're trying to do, I'll be more aware. Pierce if bought out should come here and Afflalo for Bledsoe is very logical and even probable. The issue is going to be DJ. Can Doc work with him? Or are we better cutting our losses, that's the question.

Haha nah not a clipper hater just realistic anybody that can take out Miami would be great :). Yes affalo for Bledsoe I can see happen. I think if anybody can work with dj it would be doc. I'm sure if anything you could put him on the market and go for a better center. He's so athletic but still raw. But a lineup of
Paul
Affalo
Pierce
Griffin
Dj
Sixth man Crawford is scary

Clippersfan86
06-23-2013, 10:15 PM
You guys think a DJ package with say picks, expiring Butler or ANYTHING we have could net us Pekovic, Vujevic, Asik etc.. centers on that tier? Or hell no? Player I love that lineup. All the sudden though Celtics seem scared of buying Pierce out and instead want to trade him. Before it seemed sure he would be bought out and sign with Clippers for MLE.

Cracka2HI!
06-23-2013, 10:16 PM

I don't really agree that all teams are making moves like the Clippers, but the welcome to not being the Clippers comment made me laugh!

east fb knicks
06-23-2013, 10:18 PM
You guys think a DJ package with say picks, expiring Butler or ANYTHING we have could net us Pekovic, Vujevic, Asik etc.. centers on that tier? Or hell no? Player I love that lineup. All the sudden though Celtics seem scared of buying Pierce out and instead want to trade him. Before it seemed sure he would be bought out and sign with Clippers for MLE.

pek yes vuj idk why you would want him not an upgrade imo asik no you guys should go after McGee now that's a move that would upgade your team maybe go after Wilson chandler also

xxplayerxx23
06-23-2013, 10:19 PM

Maybe some center in that tier but I'm not sure about those three you named. Maybe try for a guy like varejo? And yeah I think that would be a really solid lineup I guess we will see what happens with pierce soon

Clippersfan86
06-23-2013, 10:20 PM
pek yes vuj idk why you would want him not an upgrade imo asik no you guys should go after McGee now that's a move that would upgade your team maybe go after Wilson chandler also

Pekovic+Griffin would be so nasty! I've wanted Wilson for years but didn't Denver extend him last year?

Clippersfan86
06-23-2013, 10:21 PM
Maybe some center in that tier but I'm not sure about those three you named. Maybe try for a guy like varejo? And yeah I think that would be a really solid lineup I guess we will see what happens with pierce soon

Did you hear about the DJ for Varejao deal last deadline? Both teams had agreed but then Andy fu**ed his ankle again or w/e causing the deal to fall apart. It's a shame because I LOVE his game and agree he would be great.

Cracka2HI!
06-23-2013, 10:27 PM
I kinda want to keep DJ now. He is the most physically gifted Center in the league and probably top 3-5 in the NBA. With a good coach he could be great. Still not 25 yet. I'd love to see the team add a guy like KG, West or Milsap...but that doesn't really mean we have to give up on DJ. I have some faith in him with a good coach.

RiceOnTheRun
06-23-2013, 10:27 PM

Dwight.

Realistically though, it's tough for any team to surpass Miami on paper, unless they go through a huge roster overhaul, it's tough. OKC is a little more mortal, as shown in the playoffs, but with a healthy Westbrook, it's tough for any team to flat-out beat them.

Clippers are still the best situation for CP3, barring him taking the MLE to go to Miami. He has a young partner in Blake and some solid pieces in DJ and even Bledsoe. Doc made use of a very deep guard rotation (Terry, Lee, Bradley) while still featuring Rondo, I don't doubt he can make Bledsoe work for them, if they do decide to keep him. He would be on a team of slapped together free agents and an aging Dirk with the Mavs, another ball-dominant guard in Harden if he decided on Houston and have a division rival in the Heat if he decides to pick the Hawks. Clippers are the best situation, with a few more FA moves, I don't see why he wouldn't resign.

east fb knicks
06-23-2013, 10:30 PM
Pekovic+Griffin would be so nasty! I've wanted Wilson for years but didn't Denver extend him last year?

the nuggets are looking to dump his contract he would actually be a good fit on the clippers and yea you guys could also sign an trade for pek he's a rfa this year but I would still prefer McGee next to blake

ThuglifeJ
06-23-2013, 10:32 PM
lmao how do you guys have a better future you have a better team now but ummm the knicks will have the most cap in 2015 with melo while you guys will still be paying dj who sucks and blake who hasn't showed he's elite yet congrats on the doc signing but you guys still aren't beating okc or the spurs next year and you might not wanna run your mouth so soon cp3 hasn't signed his ext yet but good luck remember how happy the cavs fans were when they got Byron scott doc signing means nothing

This.

Plus on the Clips having a better future than Knicks, you have to factor in how big of a market New York is. They'll be around till the end of basketball.
To be honest I don't really respect the Clips after they banned the Clippers guy from coming to games..

Both the Knicks and Clips are still 2nd round exits at this point. Further moves can be made tho

Clippersfan86
06-23-2013, 10:34 PM
This.

Plus on the Clips having a better future than Knicks, you have to factor in how big of a market New York is. They'll be around till the end of basketball.
To be honest I don't really respect the Clips after they banned the Clippers guy from coming to games..

Both the Knicks and Clips are still 2nd round exits at this point. Further moves can be made tho

Lol Clipper Darrell. Don't be naive man. He was using the Clippers name to make money on the side and quite honestly most diehard Clippers fans including me can't stand his act. He's still at games but the Clippers had to tell him to chill out rightfully so.

Clippersfan86
06-23-2013, 10:35 PM
This.

Lol Clipper Darrell. Don't be naive man. He was using the Clippers name to make money on the side and quite honestly most diehard Clippers fans including me can't stand his act. He's still at games but the Clippers had to tell him to chill out rightfully so.

Cracka2HI!
06-23-2013, 10:36 PM
This.

Didn't have a problem with your post until this. Clipper Daryl was making money off the Clippers brand, all they did was ask him to follow team rules if he wanted to continue to do so. He didn't. They never banned him. That was a story he made up. By the way...he still goes to most/all Clippers games. Just needed to point out that you are uninformed on that one.

Chronz
06-23-2013, 10:44 PM

I guess with Pierce it would be best to see if you can move him. Im hoping he *****es his way home anyways.

Clippersfan86
06-23-2013, 10:46 PM
Chronz you celebrating the news with a beer tonight?

Clippersfan86
06-23-2013, 11:02 PM
http://espn.go.com/blog/dallas/mavericks/post/_/id/4696402/mavs-chris-paul-pipe-dream-comes-to-an-end

Sportfan
06-23-2013, 11:13 PM
It may get ugly...

No chance LOL

TrAv=MaGiCfReAk
06-23-2013, 11:49 PM
Noway would orlando trade vuc ...ESP for DJ

Vuc is young and cheap and was getting 20/20s last season .... he has some serious potential and is perfect for our rebuilding team.

OceanSpray
06-24-2013, 12:21 AM
Blake Griffin/DeAndre for Pierce/Garnett sounds dead even just based off potential and longevity. Blake+Rondo+Andre, solid cast. Not to mention Green/Bass? Great for both teams, Clippers get proven players.

airforceones25
06-24-2013, 12:24 AM
Blake Griffin/DeAndre for Pierce/Garnett sounds dead even just based off potential and longevity. Blake+Rondo+Andre, solid cast. Not to mention Green/Bass? Great for both teams, Clippers get proven players.

LMAO... That would be the ****ing worst trade in history.

--23--
06-24-2013, 12:33 AM
This is bar far one of the confusing/complicated trades I hear lol.

1. David Stern said the CBA doesn't authorize trades involving coaches contracts.
2. How can LAC and BOS trade coach for picks?
3. Now they are reports the league will reject any KG to the Clippers trade...how is that possible???

This is about as weird as the CP3 to Lakers veto.

heyman321
06-24-2013, 12:35 AM
"Not so fast *******s, I'm still commisioner till next February' -- David Stern

Clippersfan86
06-24-2013, 01:00 AM
This is bar far one of the confusing/complicated trades I hear lol.

1. David Stern said the CBA doesn't authorize trades involving coaches contracts.
2. How can LAC and BOS trade coach for picks?
3. Now they are reports the league will reject any KG to the Clippers trade...how is that possible???

This is about as weird as the CP3 to Lakers veto.

It's not a trade. It's a compensation package which is what Stern confirmed IS allowed and has been done twice in NBA history, most recently for Stan Van Gundy from Miami. Boston is first letting Doc out of his contract, Clippers are signing him, then Clippers send the pick. Sound like a "trade" to you?

OceanSpray
06-24-2013, 01:07 AM
LMAO... That would be the ****ing worst trade in history.

How? Garnett/Pierce are old. They are a terrible long term plan. LAC seems to want to win and if that's the case, winning involves veteran and proven pieces like Garnett/Pierce. Blake/DeAndre have potential. Both of them with Rondo, Bass, and Green are a solid playoff team. With Rondo being strictly a pass first, Blake/Andre can find ways to improve offensively.

bholly
06-24-2013, 01:13 AM
How? Garnett/Pierce are old. They are a terrible long term plan. LAC seems to want to win and if that's the case, winning involves veteran and proven pieces like Garnett/Pierce. Blake/DeAndre have potential. Both of them with Rondo, Bass, and Green are a solid playoff team. With Rondo being strictly a pass first, Blake/Andre can find ways to improve offensively.
Pretty sure he means it's bad for the clippers.

OceanSpray
06-24-2013, 01:16 AM
Pretty sure he means it's bad for the clippers.

I think it's a great trade considering Paul wants to win now. Signing Paul is the best option LAC has and if they can't get players who are winners, Paul probably won't resign.

Method28
06-24-2013, 02:24 AM
Blake and Jordan are better than Pierce and Garnett right now...so how are the clippers improving short or long term

bholly
06-24-2013, 03:06 AM
I think it's a great trade considering Paul wants to win now. Signing Paul is the best option LAC has and if they can't get players who are winners, Paul probably won't resign.

I think it's considered highly likely that Paul stays either way now.

Regardless, the measure of a trade isn't just whether you improve or not - if you pass up a better trade then the trade you took isn't that good. In this case, giving up Blake is waaay overpaying for what they could get for less. That makes it a bad trade.

Clippersfan86
06-24-2013, 03:18 AM
Holly in general what are your thoughts on the Clippers acquiring Doc? Huge improvement? Moderate improvement? No improvement? Assuming they do what they say and also improve the roster with trades/free agency.

smith&wesson
06-24-2013, 03:40 AM

wtf would they give up Blake Griffey for two guys who can retire anyway :confused:

setman2000
06-24-2013, 03:42 AM
Looking at Docs record before he had his "Big 3" plus Rondo, not so impressive. Amazing how good coaches look when you have many of the best players in the game playing on your team!

http://espn.go.com/nba/coaches/_/id/1579/doc-rivers

bholly
06-24-2013, 04:55 AM
Big improvement over VDN in terms of coaching, but I don't know how to translate that into wins or anything. They'll be better though.

Great move in terms of signalling the willingness of the ownership to spend to win.

Biggest of all, if it helped keep CP3 then that's the major prize, and the pick won't end up being a major cost.

Hard to fault the deal overall. Looking forward to how the rest of it plays out.

Edit: this is in response to CF86. Bad at posting on my phone.

kblo247
06-24-2013, 05:31 AM
Blake and Jordan are better than Pierce and Garnett right now...so how are the clippers improving short or long term
Jordan isn't better than either of Pierce or KG. Blake and Bledsoe for those two is *** backwards, but DJ is smart

bagwell368
06-24-2013, 05:38 AM
Looking at Docs record before he had his "Big 3" plus Rondo, not so impressive. Amazing how good coaches look when you have many of the best players in the game playing on your team!

http://espn.go.com/nba/coaches/_/id/1579/doc-rivers

Well, if LAC sucked as bad as Doc teams prior to '07-'08 you might have a point.

Doc is also popular among vets, being seen as a vet players coach. Some of the FA signings DA has pulled off have more to do with Doc and the $ than Boston or Celtics history (which Celtic fans vastly overestimate as a factor among todays players).

Method28
06-24-2013, 06:02 AM
Jordan isn't better than either of Pierce or KG. Blake and Bledsoe for those two is *** backwards, but DJ is smart

I'm saying as a package. I wouldn't trade Blake for KG AND Pierce. They both have max two years....that trade makes no sense for the Clips

bagwell368
06-24-2013, 07:05 AM
Celts fan here. PP is done as the playoffs this year demonstrates. His only purpose in the NBA next year is a 20 MPG sub on a team going for a ring - at best.

KG has more tread left, but he has to be minute limited or he'll get hurt or sag in the playoffs. 25 MPG max.

As a pair these guys are for a team trying to win this year and maybe next, and then use their slots for more FA's at end of their contracts.

Comparing younger and under performing players like DJ makes no sense until the motivations of both teams making a deal (or more than 2) is known. Arguing over them w/o knowing context is ridiculous.

I would trade KG for DJ and a #1 (the 2014 or 2016 LAC pick) gladly. The Celts are done, DJ if anything has less chance to win games than KG this year, which is what you want when you tank.

I would gladly trade PP for an expiring for a bad/injured player(s) and two 2nd rounders.

Next up is proving RR is healty and dealing him at the deadline. Dealing Lee, Bass, Terry, etc.

knicksfan42
06-24-2013, 08:02 AM

You obviously do which is why you are responding to him. Why are you so insecure man? Its kind of pathetic. "I was telling you guys Clippers are the best run organization I was telling you man Clippers are a top tier organization." lol Clippers haven't been a threat since ever.

Jroz
06-24-2013, 09:02 AM
I like this move for the Clips, think Doc will have a great influence on the team as a whole...and if they did end up getting KG down the road, the one person that would benefit from it the most would be Griffin...KG would turn him into a hardnose beast on both ends of the court..Just his pure emotion would get that team going

MiamiBoy77
06-24-2013, 09:16 AM
Paul
Afflalo (trade for Bledsoe straight up)
??
Griffin
KG

Could win the west

Clippersfan86
06-24-2013, 03:34 PM
Per Jackie MacMullan of ESPN Boston the trade HAS been approved and cleared by the league. The silence today has to do with the mountains of finalizing documents and contracts that are being completed and details being sorted out among the teams. Doc Rivers was due at the Celtics facility today but is likely packing to head LA bound. Not sure when a press conference for either the Celtics or Clippers will take place.