PDA

View Full Version : Cavaliers offer Celtics two second round picks for Pierce

Guppyfighter
06-23-2013, 05:43 PM
http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/06/23/report-cavaliers-offer-celtics-two-second-round-picks-for-pierce/

5ass
06-23-2013, 05:53 PM
pretty stupid IMO

D-Leethal
06-23-2013, 05:55 PM
Then trade the #1 for Aldridge and you have yourself a team that could be close to the top of the East behind Miami.

2-ONE-5
06-23-2013, 06:02 PM
Pierce has maybe 2 years left in him and doesnt make them any better than a 7-8 seed. would be really dumb when they can pursue Iggy or Granger

shep33
06-23-2013, 06:04 PM
http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/06/23/report-cavaliers-offer-celtics-two-second-round-picks-for-pierce/

Honestly, if this is the best offer, the Celts should still take it. It's better than paying him 5 mill for a buyout.

Pierce won't play for them though. So this is pointless

abe_froman
06-23-2013, 06:08 PM
Pierce has maybe 2 years left in him and doesnt make them any better than a 7-8 seed. would be really dumb when they can pursue Iggy or Granger
the price for iggy and granger much more than 2 2nd's ,you have to consider the price in the deal and thats what makes it good for the cavs ,doubt c's do it though

smith&wesson
06-23-2013, 06:12 PM
wow two 2nd rounders aint ****.. No way celtics disrespect pierce like that.

JEDean89
06-23-2013, 06:12 PM
Then trade the #1 for Aldridge and you have yourself a team that could be close to the top of the East behind Miami.

lol, kyrie, waiters, pierce, aldridge, verjao is not winning ****. If I was them I would draft len then tank 1 more year for one of those brutes then you have something like irving, waiters, jabbari parker, thompson, len. then next summer you trade a 2015 1st + tristan thompson for Aldridge yielding a much nicer team. Pierce is 35, Irving is 21, he isn't winning anything any time soon.

dhopisthename
06-23-2013, 06:35 PM
2 2nd rounders is just taking his salary which at 15 mill is quite a bit, but that would mean the celtics don't think they can get anything for him

Lim
06-23-2013, 08:13 PM
massive diss to pp

Crackadalic
06-23-2013, 08:15 PM
They need to tank and get wiggins. Being a finge playoff team doesn't help them at all.

RipCity32
06-23-2013, 08:18 PM
That's all,Damn I know Hes old but wow.

Lake_Show2416
06-23-2013, 08:27 PM
so stupid, y get Pierce, Cavs arent going anywhere might as well tank for next years draft rather than put together a team that will finish in the middle of the league, once again the Cavs r making some head scratching decisions imo

IndiansFan337
06-23-2013, 08:35 PM
2 2nd rounders is just taking his salary which at 15 mill is quite a bit, but that would mean the celtics don't think they can get anything for him

Remember, there are barely any teams that can just absorb his salary without sending Boston contracts in return.

TheNumber37
06-23-2013, 08:55 PM
The Cavs would do this to teach Kyrie about winning for 2 years, that's all

For two 2nd rounders in this draft, I'd do it. The Celtics could find gold at the 31st and 33rd pick, nice cheap pieces for a team in rebuilding mode.

Still, They can get more for PP than that aside from the fact that it would be rude of them to ship PP to CLE.
The Cavs overplay their hand, going after Paul Pierce when they could target Granger, Mayo, Tyryke, Gordon or even Iggy.

dhopisthename
06-23-2013, 09:07 PM
Remember, there are barely any teams that can just absorb his salary without sending Boston contracts in return.

according to my calcuations assuming a 60 million dollar cap figure the spurs, detroit, atlanta, utah, new orleans, milwaukee, charlotte, sacramento, and houston all would have over 15 mill in cap spacer per hoopshype salaries.

Cracka2HI!
06-23-2013, 10:21 PM
I don't think the Celtics can do this. Another poster has been bringing up the way the Bulls ended their dynasty. It took them a long time to crawl out of that hole. Trading Pierce to Cleveland would basically be forcing him to retire for 2 2nd's and $5 mil. Your reputation is more valuable than that IMO. The best thing for Boston would be KG and Pierce ending up on the Clippers.

Sportfan
06-23-2013, 11:17 PM
I don't think the Celtics can do this. Another poster has been bringing up the way the Bulls ended their dynasty. It took them a long time to crawl out of that hole. Trading Pierce to Cleveland would basically be forcing him to retire for 2 2nd's and $5 mil. Your reputation is more valuable than that IMO. The best thing for Boston would be KG and Pierce ending up on the Clippers.

Why would that be the best for Boston? I guess the Bulls should have traded everyone to Washington to get MJ another title!

Cracka2HI!
06-23-2013, 11:21 PM
I don't know man, I just can't see the Celtics dumping Pierce to Cleveland and having KG retire just to save some money. I'm probably wrong though.

bleedprple&gold
06-23-2013, 11:31 PM
I don't know man, I just can't see the Celtics dumping Pierce to Cleveland and having KG retire just to save some money. I'm probably wrong though.

It's not their fault if KG retires. They tried to send him to the Clippers but the league won't allow it. They can't trade him anywhere else because he won't waive his no trade clause. So there's really nothing else the Celtics can do.

IndiansFan337
06-24-2013, 12:20 AM
according to my calcuations assuming a 60 million dollar cap figure the spurs, detroit, atlanta, utah, new orleans, milwaukee, charlotte, sacramento, and houston all would have over 15 mill in cap spacer per hoopshype salaries.

I don't think San Antonio has that much space. Many of those teams have key F/A's so they would need to retain or sign a bunch of players for the minimum after acquiring Pierce (Utah). Also, remember if any of those teams signs Paul and/or Howard they then likely would not have the cap space anymore.

A few of those teams would not want Pierce too, such as Charlotte. They are hoping to finally win the lottery next year and Pierce would take them in the opposite direction.

If Howard and Paul re-up with their current teams I could see Houston, Atlanta, and maybe Dallas trying to acquire Pierce in addition to the Cavs.

bbd24
06-24-2013, 12:26 AM
The reason Boston does this trade is not because of the two picks in the 2nd round. It's because they'd get a 15 M dollar trade exception to boot. That's worth more to them than the two picks & would give them a fast start to their rebuild. They could turn around & do a sign & trade and acquire a pretty darn good player.

dhopisthename
06-24-2013, 01:53 AM
I don't think San Antonio has that much space. Many of those teams have key F/A's so they would need to retain or sign a bunch of players for the minimum after acquiring Pierce (Utah). Also, remember if any of those teams signs Paul and/or Howard they then likely would not have the cap space anymore.

A few of those teams would not want Pierce too, such as Charlotte. They are hoping to finally win the lottery next year and Pierce would take them in the opposite direction.

If Howard and Paul re-up with their current teams I could see Houston, Atlanta, and maybe Dallas trying to acquire Pierce in addition to the Cavs.

San antonio could trade him if they splitter go, ginobili retired or wasn't resigned, and made a few minor moves(mainly getting rid of diaw or bonner). The jazz would have good deal of money even after they traded for pierce. Although I do agree that of most of the teams I listed most would not be interested, but it only takes 2 teams that like him to drive the price up especially considering all that was offered was basically cap space

bagwell368
06-24-2013, 07:09 AM
wow two 2nd rounders aint ****.. No way celtics disrespect pierce like that.

He's made ~$168+M off of the Celts in his career, that ought to sustain him for being dealt for next to nothing - his other choice is to be bought out and sign a MLE. They'd be doing him a favor.

bagwell368
06-24-2013, 07:10 AM

You are wrong.

c.c.
06-24-2013, 09:41 AM
Are they tanking?

Sportfan
06-24-2013, 09:52 AM
I would #19 and 33 for pierce. I doubt Cleveland even needs these picks with all the youth it already has

bbd24
06-24-2013, 01:57 PM
Are they tanking?

I think they're just rebuilding. BTW, it would be off to one helluva start if they can trade Pierce to the Cavs for 2 second rounders and the 15.3 M trade exception.

They could land a pretty decent player in a sign & trade with that exception. Add in 2 picks and that's a pretty good haul for the old vet in Pierce.

*1st rounder for Doc
*15.3 M trade exception & 2 high second round picks for Pierce

Add in the compensation when Garnett is dealt, & Ainge is off to a great start on the rebuild. Or, if KG retires, that money is freed up to use as well. Ainge is just acquiring assets as he goes & is most likely building around:

Rondo
Bradley
Green
Sullinger

Rondo could also be moved to acquire even more assets at the deadline.