PDA

View Full Version : This year draft

Greg.
06-23-2013, 03:19 AM
I've seen people say it is easily the worst draft of all time and there won't be any serviceable players in the entire draft. I don't see this draft as one of the best but, I don't think it's terrible either. I think there's some potential borderline all star and some solid starters in the bunch but, no franchise guys. Just wondering what the majority opinion on the draft is.

ThaDubs
06-23-2013, 03:57 AM
Average. I think people like Cody Zeller, Victor Oladipo, Ben McLemore, Nerlens Noel etc. could be stars or even franchise players if they put the work in. And of course there's always a chance that one of the later picks in the draft could unexpectedly blossom. We can't know until the year is over though. 2014 will be good though with Wiggins and Parker imo.

PhillyFaninLA
06-23-2013, 05:03 AM
I think this will proof to be a solid draft...I would love for the Sixers to keep 11 and trade Turner and Thad for other first round picks and hopefully expiring contract...I don't see a superstar in this draft but I think you could have 10 - 20 good players and build a team like Memphis or Pacers

RipCity32
06-23-2013, 08:52 AM
I don't think it's horrible besides the fact that we are 5 days away without a clear cut #1.

MagicBucsSox
06-23-2013, 09:08 AM
By far not the worst draft. 2000 was. To think Kenyon Martin was a "franchise player" coming in, stromile swift goes #2 and mike miller won ROY avg 9ppg. 2001 was bad too

MagicBucsSox
06-23-2013, 09:10 AM
Average. I think people like Cody Zeller, Victor Oladipo, Ben McLemore, Nerlens Noel etc. could be stars or even franchise players if they put the work in. And of course there's always a chance that one of the later picks in the draft could unexpectedly blossom. We can't know until the year is over though. 2014 will be good though with Wiggins and Parker imo.

Those aren't the only two players. Remember the name Julius Randle

PhillyFaninLA
06-23-2013, 09:16 AM
By far not the worst draft. 2000 was. To think Kenyon Martin was a "franchise player" coming in, stromile swift goes #2 and mike miller won ROY avg 9ppg. 2001 was bad too

Like I said above, I don't think there is a franchise player, but I think you could have a bunch of goo reliable players.

Sactown
06-23-2013, 01:08 PM
The say this every year about the draft.. it's actually way more common experts are like "Nah this draft sucks" than hearing them be like "This is going to be a great draft!"

raiderposting
06-23-2013, 01:18 PM
2014 doesn't just have wiggins and Parker. It has randle like some one mentioned. It has the harrisons, and Marcus smart who would have been a top 2 pick if he didn't go back to school. He would have been number 1 in this years draft if the cave didn't have Irving already.

KnickaBocka.44
06-23-2013, 01:45 PM
Those aren't the only two players. Remember the name Julius Randle

Wiggins and Parker are without a doubt the top 2 players though. Their skill sets are so unique it puts them in a category all their own as prospects. The fact that there are two players in the same class like that is crazy. You're right though, Randle is a beast and should be a good pro too.

RiceOnTheRun
06-23-2013, 01:53 PM
It's also the fact that this is following one of the (potentially) deepest drafts in recent years. It still has key contributors, probably more right-off-the-bat role players than usual but far less "superstar" potential players.

todu82
06-23-2013, 02:28 PM
It's going to be an average draft with a few top-tier guys.

MrfadeawayJB
06-23-2013, 02:42 PM
I think it will be underrated and surprise stars will emerge

gwrighter
06-23-2013, 03:14 PM
If I was to predict this years draft, I feel like most of the good players are going to come in the 2-10 range. The top of the draft is pretty weak in comparison to other years, but there will be good players. It seems there could be elite role players.

mgsports
06-23-2013, 03:22 PM
I think all Players should be allowed in Green Room,Like the NHL Draft Teams should come up and annouce the Picks for their Team,Also GM'S on the Floor to talk about Trades,do it in the same Arena as the where NHL's is going to be held that year so they can be room also for NBATV to have a set.

RipCity32
06-23-2013, 03:34 PM
I think all Players should be allowed in Green Room,Like the NHL Draft Teams should come up and annouce the Picks for their Team,Also GM'S on the Floor to talk about Trades,do it in the same Arena as the where NHL's is going to be held that year so they can be room also for NBATV to have a set.

That would be a lot better.

Korman12
06-23-2013, 03:56 PM
I'll be surprised if it ends up worse than the 2000 draft, but its not great.

Huntey
06-23-2013, 03:56 PM
It's a draft without top tear talent but it is very deep. You could pick a guy 25th who's probably as talented as the guy taken at 15.

ManRam
06-23-2013, 04:03 PM
It's a draft without top tear talent but it is very deep. You could pick a guy 25th who's probably as talented as the guy taken at 15.

yeah. i think the depth of this draft makes up for a lot of it's lack of top-tier talent.

i think it will end up being a pleasant surprise. it's not a great year to have a top 2 pick for sure though :(

Bruins2012
06-23-2013, 04:16 PM
What’s the point of drafting when most of the star players want to team-up in a major market with other stars anyways? Not to pick on the Heat but they have 3 of the top 5 picks on their team from the 2003 NBA Draft, how does that help with parity in the league?

MagicBucsSox
06-23-2013, 04:38 PM
Greatest draft ever was 1996, not 2003. 03' made 3HOF wade James Melo and two other all stars, and 96'blows that out the water . I think this draft will shock ppl yrs from now.

abe_froman
06-23-2013, 05:57 PM
below average ,think there's alot of good role players but no stars

abe_froman
06-23-2013, 06:00 PM
Greatest draft ever was 1996, not 2003. 03' made 3HOF wade James Melo and two other all stars, and 96'blows that out the water . I think this draft will shock ppl yrs from now.
'84
mj
hakeem
barkley
stockton

2-ONE-5
06-23-2013, 06:03 PM
I've seen people say it is easily the worst draft of all time and there won't be any serviceable players in the entire draft. I don't see this draft as one of the best but, I don't think it's terrible either. I think there's some potential borderline all star and some solid starters in the bunch but, no franchise guys. Just wondering what the majority opinion on the draft is.

no one said there wont be any serviceable players thats just ridiculous

JEDean89
06-23-2013, 06:10 PM
think the 2011 nba draft minus a kyrie irving. good talent going all the way throughout the draft just not top heavy talent. People consdider the 2014 nba draft loaded because of the top 10 guys or so, 2013 just doesn't have those top guys, scouts will have to work extra hard to find gems. Rudy Gobert, Ricky Ledo, Lucas Nogueira, Canaan, Toney Mitchel, Tony Snell, Jamal Franklin. A lot of mid to late 1st round talent with high upside, there just aren't many guaranteed hits.

D-Leethal
06-23-2013, 06:36 PM
These are the fun drafts where you get quality role players throughout the whole thing. 2011 was 'weak' and you had guys like Shumpert, Parsons, Lenard, Klay Thompson, Vucevic, Jimmy Butler, Tobias Harris, Isiah Thomas all go outside outside the top 10. How many awesome playoff moments did we get from those unhyped role players during this year alone?

DDynO
06-23-2013, 07:20 PM
Only a few "sure things", but a deep draft, nonetheless.

Lake_Show2416
06-23-2013, 07:26 PM
average but every draft produces a few stars, this draft is just hard to pin point them

Greg.
06-23-2013, 07:33 PM
no one said there wont be any serviceable players thats just ridiculous

Well I've seen people write that this was the worst draft of all time and I figured it was the media blowing it out of proportion like they always do. But, in the thread about the cavs trading for Marion and the 13th pick, someone made a statement along the lines of "no one they could possibly get there will be worth anything" so I just wanted to see what the overall feeling of this draft was on here

2-ONE-5
06-23-2013, 07:35 PM
that person is just an idiot then. just no clear stars that have separated themselves from the rest.

IndiansFan337
06-23-2013, 08:30 PM
Good role players always go in the teens. This year will be no different. In the past few years we've seen many great role players like Serge Ibaka, Kawhi Leonard, etc drafted in the teens.

NoahH
06-24-2013, 01:23 AM
I don't think there's any clearcut superstars and I don't think there will be in this draft. Obviously we'll get a couple guys who go to at least 1 or 2 ASGs but as of now i think we're looking at a few fringe all-stars and alot of role players.

OceanSpray
06-24-2013, 01:29 AM
Every draft has surprises. I don't think we can just say it's one of the worst without them actually playing a game yet. It certainly hasn't drawn much attention but I'm sure a couple of them will be huge players for a particular team.

Clippersfan86
06-24-2013, 01:35 AM
This is a classic case like last year's draft where there are no sure stars but there are a large amount of role player/starting caliber players long term. The mid-late first round is filled with guys who will likely be rotation players long term.