PDA

View Full Version : Budding Title Contenders 2013-2014 From FA (Not a Dwight/Paul Thread)

Il Mago50
06-22-2013, 07:16 PM
Now obviously there's been a million Dwight/Paul threads but this is another question.

http://hoopshype.com/salaries.htm

As of now, we have Josh Smith, Al Jefferson, Andre Igoudala, Andrew Bynum, Paul Millsap and quite a few other all-star players available this summer.

As well, there are some pretty talented teams (excluding Houston, LAC) who have a lot of talent on their roster and some significant cap space in order to make moves, these being some of the more notable:

Portland: Lilliard, Aldridge, Batum, Matthews (http://hoopshype.com/salaries/portland.htm), not sure exactly how the Roy amnesty works but they have at least 10M to spend.

San Antonio: No need to make a list, currently at 41M which could make getting one or two guys of a Bynum/Jefferson/Igoudala/etc semi-possible

Minnesota: Love, Rubio, AK47, 10M+ in cap space

Cleveland: Irving, Varajeo, Waiters, Thompson and TONS of cap space, if they wanted to win now could very easily sign Bynum and say Igoudala or someone else to really bolster their talent if they don't believe LeBron is coming back next season

Detroit: Drummond, Monroe, Knight, Tons of cap but who they would get from this crop I honestly don't know since they are set for bigs

Now, the question is simple: Of these non-Houston teams (and approaching the question differently with Spurs obviously), who could you see making enough of a splash through free agency to become a TRUE contender next season? Perhaps Bynum going to Portland? Cleveland landing Igoudala and Bynum?

Discuss.

rockets-fan
06-22-2013, 09:28 PM
Yea if San Antonio gets iggy or Jefferson I think they will be some people favorites, for a year or two till Duncan retires

LJEATON26
06-22-2013, 09:39 PM
S.A. will be a beast if they get Jefferson and maybe resign Ginobili to a really cheap contract. Cleveland could be another if they can stay healthy and get a iggy/pierce/granger type player.

Dade County
06-22-2013, 10:14 PM
I think Josh Smith & Igoudala end up on the same team. Ether in Denver or a team makes a big move for the both of them (sign & trades).

Josh Smith & Igoudala on theses teams:
Washington ( Wall - very athletic team )
Phoenix ( Put some fans in the sits move )
Sacramento ( New Ownership - rejuvenate the fan-base - Cousins might be apart of that )

Bynum:

Bynum might sign a 1yr contract with the HEAT or a contender to prove himself, and try to get the max the following season. The reasoning behind this; Bynum to me, needs to join a team that will make him look better then he actually is; but he also has to maintain his minutes on the court (20minutes a night).

So Bynum on a contending team, makes sense to me.

Bynum Possibilities... Contending teams that need a center for the last 5 minutes of a game ( aka- whatever team that can make him look really good):

OKC
Houston
HEAT
Spurs
Denver (running team lol)
Clippers

Pacers:
I have a feeling that this team, will make a trade for a pg and or sg.
They might trade for Bledsoe... Take a look at Nate Robinson...O.J Mayo... Jarrett Jack... J.J Redick.

Knicks:
They are not going to stand pat. They will find someone to take on Stat contract, even if it hurts them down the line.

Pierzynski4Prez
06-22-2013, 10:35 PM
I think Josh Smith & Igoudala end up on the same team. Ether in Denver or a team makes a big move for the both of them (sign & trades).

Sacramento ( New Ownership - rejuvenate the fan-base - Cousins might be apart of that )

Bynum:

Bynum might sign a 1yr contract with the HEAT or a contender to prove himself, and try to get the max the following season. The reasoning behind this; Bynum to me, needs to join a team that will make him look better then he actually is; but he also has to maintain his minutes on the court (20minutes a night).

Bynum Possibilities... Contending teams that need a center for the last 5 minutes of a game ( aka- whatever team that can make him look really good):

OKC
Houston
HEAT
Spurs
Clippers

Pacers:
They might trade for Bledsoe... Take a look at Nate Robinson...O.J Mayo... Jarrett Jack... J.J Redick.

Knicks:
They are not going to stand pat. They will find someone to take on Stat contract, even if it hurts them down the line.

Don't think an injury prone Bynum is going to be eager to sign a deal for 3 million as opposed to 15+ elsewhere just to win. Someone will pay him and he knows it.

Dade County
06-22-2013, 10:48 PM
Don't think an injury prone Bynum is going to be eager to sign a deal for 3 million as opposed to 15+ elsewhere just to win. Someone will pay him and he knows it.

You are most likely 99.9% right... But it wasn't about Bynum winning another title, it was more like, what if teams don't offer him the max ( which they shouldn't ).

But yes, teams will offer him more then the mid level and the tax payers level.

Pierzynski4Prez
06-22-2013, 10:56 PM
You are most likely 99.9% right... But it wasn't about Bynum winning another title, it was more like, what if teams don't offer him the max ( which they shouldn't ).

A few teams will miss out on Dwight and won't let Bynum get away after losing out.

Pierzynski4Prez
06-22-2013, 10:56 PM

A few teams will miss out on Dwight and won't let Bynum get away after losing out.

Ryan328
06-23-2013, 02:10 AM
Jefferson & Spurs is a good match. They were even interested in February

2-ONE-5
06-23-2013, 09:58 PM

Bynum:

OKC
Houston
HEAT
Spurs
Clippers

Pacers:

Knicks:

no way Iggy and Smith end up on the same team and no way Bynum goes to Miami.

xxplayerxx23
06-23-2013, 10:04 PM
Bynum on the spurs would be a nice fit IMO.

Dade County
06-24-2013, 02:29 AM
no way Iggy and Smith end up on the same team and no way Bynum goes to Miami.

?

Sooo, are you saying that because of the cost of these two players?

Wall
?/Beal
Igoudala
Smith
?

I think this team could be super athletic! If the organization can fill out the roster well. If Wall can stay healthy, and if he could have players like this along side of him; I can see them finishing between the 4th and 6th seed in the east. They would need to get some shooters though.

The same goes for Denver.