PDA

View Full Version : NBA All time Redraft: Buffalo (2) VS Baltimore (7)

PatsSoxKnicks
06-22-2013, 12:44 AM
Disclaimer: Hello Everyone. Welcome to the NBA All-time redraft playoffs. These will be a battle between two made up teams from our host of GM’s in to see who reigns superiority over all of basketball. There is a slight twist in this All-time: each team has a starter from each decade. Please read the write-ups and vote for who you think would win in a 7 game series.

Minneapolis has HCA. Minutes distribution are in parenthesis.

Rotation:
PG: Magic Johnson (37)/Russell Westbrook (11)
SG: Mitch Richmond (31)/Russell Westbrook (14)/Shane Battier (3)
SF: Gus Johnson (30)/Shane Battier (15)/Kiki Vanderweghe (3)
PF: Chris Webber (37)/Kiki Vanderweghe (11)
C: Artis Gilmore (37)/Tree Rollins (11)

Writeup vs Baltimore

Offense:
Magic - For Buffalo, obviously things start with Magic Johnson, 5 time NBA champion, 3 time MVP, 3 time finals MVP, and the best playmaker of all-time. Magic will be leading an up-tempo, offensive juggernaut loaded with efficient scorers, one of which is Chris Webber, one of the best Power Forwards of all time. Baltimore should expect a lot of pick and roll/pop between these 2 as Webber was a great finisher at the basket and a solid mid-range shooter. Magic’s backcourt mate will be Mitch Richmond, one of the best scorers and purest sharpshooters of his era. Richmond will bomb 3’s for us and stretch the defense for our interior threats – Magic will be able to find Mitch off of pick n roll rotations and fast-break 3 point pull-ups. The other wing player will be Gus Johnson who will be relied upon for finishing on fast-breaks alongside Magic and catching lobs. And at last, Artis Gilmore is our Center, and he’ll be expected to run some pick and roll with Magic as well, being the most efficient scorer of all time, he’ll finish at the basket when needed. As for Magic’s scoring, look for him to get in the post against the much smaller Mo Cheeks and punish him with his size advantage. Cheeks was a great defender at the PG spot, but Magic was able to get more than his own against him, as he averaged 21.4 PPG when they matched up. Magic should have no problems scoring against the Cheeks and the Baltimore defense.

CWebb - Webber will be the primary offensive option against Baltimore, against Dirk Nowitzki, who is considered a weak defender at the PF position. Webber will be able to isolate/face-up against Dirk and score with relative ease, as well as attack in in pick and roll/pick and pops, as Webber has a solid mid-range game as well as great finishing at the basket. Webber averaged 22 pts on 52% shooting and 11 rebs against Dirk in head to head matchups and managed to get the best of Dirk when they matched up. http://www.basketball-reference.com/play-index/h2h_finder.cgi?request=1&p1=nowitdi01&p2=webbech01
Webber will have no problem getting his points against Dirk Nowitzki in this series.

Gilmore – Artis will be the 3rd option for our offense. Gilmore is the most efficient scorer of all time (59.9FG%, 64.3TS%) and was a dominant force in the paint on both ends of the court. He will get his postups and pick and roll opportunities as well. Mutombo will be able to make his fair share of plays against Gilmore, but we still expect Gilmore to score at an efficient clip against Baltimore.

Richmond – As I mentioned before, Mitch is a sharpshooter of the highest order and will spread the court for our offense. He averaged over 2.5 3PTM per game and shot it at over 42.5%! Richmond was also a good basket attacker as well and will be able to get his own shot over the smaller Monroe.

Gus Johnson – Admittedly, Gus is no offensive force. He is however one of the first skywalkers the NBA has ever seen and was a great athlete. He will get his fair share of easy dunks on the fast break and off of cuts. Gus was also a great rebounder at his position (12.1 RPG for his career) and will be used to grab offensive rebounds to add more possessions for our offense. He’ll basically play a Marion-type energy role on this team.

Our Bench consists of Russell Westbrook, Shane Battier, and Kiki Vandeweghe. Westbrook will be the explosive 6th man that brings scoring, energy, and fast pace that will be able to overwhelm Steve Francis on the opposing squad, We love the matchup with Westbrook against Francis and think he would get the best of him in this series. Battier will be used as a spot-up shooter and will provide more floor stretching for our offense. And Kiki was a great offensive force in his prime and one of the best scorers during his time. He is a versatile scorer that can score from all areas of the court, along with a good outside jumpshot.

Defense:
Obviously the #1 concern is containing Dirk Nowitzki. We will use Cwebb to guard him and feel that he can do a serviceable job on him. We also will use Gilmore to guard some of his postups to hopefully bother Dirk with length, and we’ll used Battier sparingly to basically stick like glue to Dirk and contest his jumpers. We will send some doubles on Dirk post-ups, to try and get the ball out of his hands and force it into the hands of the more inefficient scorers on their roster. However, we feel that the thing that will limit Dirk the most isn’t even on our team, it is on their own.

Earl Monroe and John Havlicek were high point scorers, but weren’t efficient at all and took A LOT of shots to get their points. Battier and Gus Johnson will be used to guard Havlicek and we feel they can do a great job of forcing him into bad shots, which he’ll definitely take a lot of. We feel that the ball movement won’t be very effective at all because both their wing players are high volume shooters. These guys will take the ball out of Dirk’s hands and will be determined to fire up a ton of shots due to their tendencies.

We have Artis Gilmore protecting the paint, who has great length and is one of the great rim protectors of all time. We don’t see great rim attackers on the Baltimore squad, so we don’t anticipate a lot of drives, keeping our bigs out of foul trouble throughout this series. Coming off the bench we have Tree Rollins who is one of the all-time great shot blockers and is a great defender in the paint.

Cheeks was an efficient scorer himself but we don’t anticipate him getting a lot of shots at all with the amount of shot takers in the starting lineup of Baltimore. We also don’t see Mutombo as a threat on offense at all. Artis will be able to roam and block the shots of opposing slashers, and can be used on doubles against Dirk Nowitzki.

Altogether, we feel Dirk may be able to get his own, but we’re confident we can contain the rest of their lineup, and we feel that Dirk’s teammates can lower his touches which will help our defense out a ton.

Rebounding:
With Dirk being a weak rebounder for his position, we feel that we can beat up Baltimore on the boards. Mutombo was a great rebounder but he’ll be matched up with Gilmore, CWebb, and Gus Johnson who were all double digit rebounding threats. On the offensive and defensive boards, we feel we have the edge and should be able to wreak havoc in the rebounds department.

Baltimore did not send in a write up

PG: Cheeks(35)/Steve Francis(13)
SG: Monroe(30)/Westphal(10)/Marion(8)
SF: Havlicek(34)/Marion(14)/Eddie Johnson
PF: Dirk!!!!(38)/Kevin Willis(10)/Danny Manning
C: Mutombo(35)/Mychal Thompson(13)

PatsSoxKnicks
06-22-2013, 12:46 AM
Wtf? It wouldn't let me post the poll....Some fatal error **** came up

PatsSoxKnicks
06-22-2013, 12:47 AM
Can a mod add a poll to this thread? Closed after 2 days, votes are public

The_Jamal
06-22-2013, 12:48 AM
Same **** happened to me

PatsSoxKnicks
06-22-2013, 02:13 AM
Bump/please add poll

NYKalltheway
06-22-2013, 05:48 AM
Baltimore can give Buffalo a run for their money... Got a better bench too i'd say. But still, I'd probably predict Buffalo to win this in 6.

KnicksorBust
06-22-2013, 10:04 AM
Buffalo is a real threat in that conference. They are one of my favorite teams. Tough draw for a good Baltimore team but Buffalo advances.

Although the exclamation points for Dirk almost swayed me...

D-Leethal
06-22-2013, 11:26 AM
God this **** is so stupid and its doing a disservice to the game of basketball. If the game was played on paper the Lakers would have been in the Finals this year and the '04 Pistons would have been a first round exit.

Sadds The Gr8
06-22-2013, 11:35 AM
God this **** is so stupid and its doing a disservice to the game of basketball. If the game was played on paper the Lakers would have been in the Finals this year and the '04 Pistons would have been a first round exit.

It isn't played on paper? I thought it was...

D-Leethal
06-22-2013, 12:19 PM
It isn't played on paper? I thought it was...

Thats basically what this redraft crap is.

Killerjug
06-22-2013, 12:31 PM
Doing a disservice to the game of basketball lol so predictions should never be made then I take it

D-Leethal
06-22-2013, 12:34 PM
Doing a disservice to the game of basketball lol so predictions should never be made then I take it

You can predict what will happen in real-life NBA basketball and you can be right or wrong. Thats different than having a hypothetical paper-tournament.

Sadds The Gr8
06-22-2013, 12:35 PM
Thats basically what this redraft crap is.

glad you came here to tell us your opinion. highly doubt anyone gives 2 ****s about it though, me included.

Sadds The Gr8
06-22-2013, 12:36 PM
of all the bull **** posts in the NBA forum, the re-draft is the one that does a disservice to basketball discussion...lol

PatsSoxKnicks
06-22-2013, 12:38 PM
Don't know why you guys are responding to the troll, let him post in one of the numerous idiotic threads in the NBA forum where those threads clearly need his presence.

roshan3ai
06-22-2013, 12:58 PM
You can predict what will happen in real-life NBA basketball and you can be right or wrong. Thats different than having a hypothetical paper-tournament.

So I take it video games also do a disservice to basketball.

PatsSoxKnicks
06-22-2013, 01:03 PM
Probably should've waited to vote because I really like that Baltimore team but no write-up/mins distribution, not to mention no argument yet and I guess I went with Buffalo.

Lucky.
06-22-2013, 01:54 PM
of all the bull **** posts in the NBA forum, the re-draft is the one that does a disservice to basketball discussion...lol

:laugh2:

The_Jamal
06-22-2013, 02:19 PM
Buffalo

ManRam
06-22-2013, 05:05 PM
i'd love to hear how Baltimore would guard magic, because even as good of a defender as cheeks was, he usually got torched by magic and i don't think his size would get it done.

actually, as i started typing this out i changed my mind. i'm picking upset!

this one is really close. sucks Baltimore didn't do a write-up because i think they could convince a lot of people they could win with a good one. i like the dirk/deke tandem a lot. i'm a huge hondo fan and i think the SF match up is the biggest single mismatch. i think they probably have more offensive fire-power too, and i'm not in love with CWebb as a second option. earl wasn't super efficient offensively, but as a 3rd opton he excelled (especially during their title run). he can be a great offensive force in the right situation, and mitch guarding him helps a lot too. mitch was not a great defender and often didn't even bother trying. had some effort issues for a lot of his career when it came to things other than scoring. they have a better bench too, even with my mancrush on russy.

and even with dirk there you're not beating them up on the boards. mutombo, hondo and cheeks are all plus rebounders for their positions, as is their entire bench. the gap between webber and dirk's rebounding abilities exists, but it's not huge. dirk wasn't a bad rebounder honestly. webber really only has an advantage on the offensive boards...because dirk probably was actually a better defensive rebounder.

i just like how that team fits together a lot. and Dikembe Mutombo Mpolondo Mukamba Jean-Jacques Wamutombo in the middle defensively is such a huge asset. gilmore was a nice defender, but dike was an a whole other level.

note: this is a blowout and if it weren't i probably wouldn't have voted for baltimore. just wanna be different...maybe play devil's advocate and spark some discussion. i do think it would be hard fought.

Chronz
06-22-2013, 05:58 PM

I dont trust your paper analysis if the greatest defensive team of All-Time in one of the weakest conferences is simply a first round exit (lol) and its a game where you visualize results. It doesn't mean you take the best team on paper.

B'sCeltsPatsSox
06-22-2013, 06:08 PM
i'd love to hear how Baltimore would guard magic, because even as good of a defender as cheeks was, he usually got torched by magic and i don't think his size would get it done.

actually, as i started typing this out i changed my mind. i'm picking upset!

this one is really close. sucks Baltimore didn't do a write-up because i think they could convince a lot of people they could win with a good one. i like the dirk/deke tandem a lot. i'm a huge hondo fan and i think the SF match up is the biggest single mismatch. i think they probably have more offensive fire-power too, and i'm not in love with CWebb as a second option. earl wasn't super efficient offensively, but as a 3rd opton he excelled (especially during their title run). he can be a great offensive force in the right situation, and mitch guarding him helps a lot too. mitch was not a great defender and often didn't even bother trying. had some effort issues for a lot of his career when it came to things other than scoring. they have a better bench too, even with my mancrush on russy.

and even with dirk there you're not beating them up on the boards. mutombo, hondo and cheeks are all plus rebounders for their positions, as is their entire bench. the gap between webber and dirk's rebounding abilities exists, but it's not huge. dirk wasn't a bad rebounder honestly. webber really only has an advantage on the offensive boards...because dirk probably was actually a better defensive rebounder.

i just like how that team fits together a lot. and Dikembe Mutombo Mpolondo Mukamba Jean-Jacques Wamutombo in the middle defensively is such a huge asset. gilmore was a nice defender, but dike was an a whole other level.

note: this is a blowout and if it weren't i probably wouldn't have voted for baltimore. just wanna be different...maybe play devil's advocate and spark some discussion. i do think it would be hard fought.

Thanks man. Never really had the time to do a writeup this week, but we would've probably gone around with a few different guys guarding Magic. Cheeks probably would get the majority of the time covering him, but we definitely would give Marion at least 10 MPG covering Magic if not more depending on how well he would do.