PDA

View Full Version : Erik Spoelstra Compared to Coaches with Multiple Rings

cmellofan15
06-21-2013, 11:29 PM
Table (http://oi39.tinypic.com/2yknkab.jpg)

How do you think he stacks up against this group?

Dade County
06-21-2013, 11:35 PM
I didn't even click to see who... Spo is dead last.

I don't really dislike him... But he is a puppet.

LayBraun
06-22-2013, 12:08 AM
Didn't even click on the link but I'd still have him on the bottom of the list.

goingfor28
06-22-2013, 12:20 AM

KnickaBocka.44
06-22-2013, 12:22 AM
He's 6th out of 13 in overall win % and 4th in playoff win %. He doesn't stack up poorly, but then you look at the names and consider that Spo was basically "thrown the keys to a Ferrari when he just got his license" and he looks less impressive.

The goods
06-22-2013, 12:45 AM
Not worth checking he's dead last and overrated as a coach in my opinion. Del Negro can coach that team to championship.

GunFactor187
06-22-2013, 12:57 AM
Mediocre coach of a team with a shitload of talent.

Hawkize31
06-22-2013, 01:08 AM
He has coached his team into the finals every single year.

Procision
06-22-2013, 01:13 AM
Better coach then he gets credit for imo but nowhere near those names

rocket
06-22-2013, 01:29 AM
He's not a special coach. But he deserves more credit than he gets. People need to realize that it's not easy to win a title even when you have a talented roster.

Killerjug
06-22-2013, 01:32 AM
He's not a special coach. But he deserves more credit than he gets. People need to realize that it's not easy to win a title even when you have a talented roster.

this

Big Zo
06-22-2013, 01:36 AM
Yet, somehow, Phil Jackson is a great coach with all his stacked teams...

rockbottom2010
06-22-2013, 03:56 AM

exactly

rockbottom2010
06-22-2013, 03:58 AM
erik spoelstra is pat riley's protege...so you know whats poppin...very underrated....not even doc rivers has 2 rings as a coach...and yet, some consider him as one of the best coaches in the game today....

Redskins10
06-22-2013, 04:16 AM
better than bill russel lmao

rex.reyesiii
06-22-2013, 05:39 AM
Not worth checking he's dead last and overrated as a coach in my opinion. Del Negro can coach that team to championship.

Nahh but Spo probably can coach the clips better than del negro. :D

Kingz4L
06-22-2013, 06:20 AM
He needs to get more credit, there are a ton of coaches who had some great talent and never did anything.
George Karl, Jerry Sloan, Don Nelson to name a few.

astonmartin10
06-22-2013, 08:02 AM
Riley is the puppeteer

Method28
06-22-2013, 09:13 AM

No way man. I think you're underestimating the power of suck that is within Del Negro.

OceanSpray
06-22-2013, 10:31 AM
Spo is a decent coach, but I'd rather have Stan Van Gundy or Doug Collins. The reason why he's been winning is no doubt because of James. However, that's just exactly why I think he's a decent coach. LeBron is just so good that he can do basically everything. When you have a guy who can do everything, it's like there's no reason for the coach to even draw up a play. Not to mention that LeBron ranks as one of the most intelligent players in the game. Combined with his skill, he knows what to do.

beasted86
06-22-2013, 11:38 AM

Del Negro is a tool of a coach. Doesn't have half the coaching ability of Spo IMO.

We saw what happened when Thibs took over for Del Negro, and we'll see it again when Hollins or whoever takes over in LA. Spo's defensive coaching is seriously underrated.

D-Leethal
06-22-2013, 11:44 AM
His motivational skills need a shitload of work but I think he's a hell of a basketball strategist and he is innovative, he is just corny as hell and doesn't do a great job rallying his troops and getting them to give 110% effort every night, they seem to only do that when their backs are against the wall, be it a game where they finally 'turn it up' for 5 minutes and blow the game wide open or a playoff series where a loss throws them into no mans land and they put up a jekyll and hyde performance..

mjt20mik
06-22-2013, 11:49 AM
For me, seeing what he did with the roster the year before they got Lebron and Bosh truly made me appreciate his coaching skills. With a scrub of a team, he coached them to a 42-42 record. I really think he is a very underrated coach. It's hard to manage egos.

sturm
06-22-2013, 11:55 AM
he is on the way to be *great* coach. very hard working man. so underrated coach with bright future.

OceanSpray
06-22-2013, 12:20 PM
For me, seeing what he did with the roster the year before they got Lebron and Bosh truly made me appreciate his coaching skills. With a scrub of a team, he coached them to a 42-42 record. I really think he is a very underrated coach. It's hard to manage egos.

I don't know what scrub team you were talking about. Prime D-Wade was arguably the second best player.

bowieinspace
06-22-2013, 02:05 PM
Who? Lebron?

Kashmir13579
06-22-2013, 02:12 PM
In what kind of regard were some of the great coaches held, in the early midst of their winning years? Time will tell with Spoelstra.

Blitzace137
06-22-2013, 02:13 PM
underrated coach. It's not east to coach all of those big egos. Spo is a great x's and o's guy. Just because you have talent doesn't mean you're guaranteed anything. I think when it's all said and done Spo will be much more appreciated as a head coach.

Teeboy1487
06-22-2013, 02:18 PM
Spo is a good coach. I love his defensive philosophy, defensive scheme, and the way he draws up plays after timeouts. He put his players in the best position to win. He is still so young and I have not seen his coaching decisions cost the Heat many games in this three year run so far. He's up there, but he still has to prove more.

JordansBulls
06-22-2013, 02:21 PM

This. Not to mention no one ever even gave him a shot until Krause gave him a chance. And he only had success in LA because of what happened in Chicago. Shaq even said that is the only reason they listened to him.

RiceOnTheRun
06-22-2013, 02:52 PM

Del Negro wouldn't have the balls to go totally small ball with this team like Spo did last year. He'd have stuck with Joel Anthony as their starting C.

Better coach then he gets credit for imo but nowhere near those names

I agree. He's not comparable to any of the top 5 up there yet, but he's only been coaching for what, 5 years?

^

He needs to get more credit, there are a ton of coaches who had some great talent and never did anything.
George Karl, Jerry Sloan, Don Nelson to name a few.

Not to mention D'Antoni, with his stacked Phoenix/Laker rosters. He had like 4 top 30 players, all top 10 at their position, in Phoenix at one point.

he is on the way to be *great* coach. very hard working man. so underrated coach with bright future.

People don't realize he has a background from the film room. He's a great by the books analyst and with lineups. This complements Lebron's on the court intelligence because he's simply giving Lebron the right equipment, rather than locking him up in a system of how to use it.

In what kind of regard were some of the great coaches held, in the early midst of their winning years? Time will tell with Spoelstra.

How many coaches have accomplished what he has in their first 5 years? Exactly. Not to say he's a GOAT coach but to say he's a terrible coach requires a few missing chromosomes on your part.

underrated coach. It's not east to coach all of those big egos. Spo is a great x's and o's guy. Just because you have talent doesn't mean you're guaranteed anything. I think when it's all said and done Spo will be much more appreciated as a head coach.

D'antoni couldn't do **** with that Lakers team, Kobe had to go HAM for them to even make the playoffs.

This. Not to mention no one ever even gave him a shot until Krause gave him a chance. And he only had success in LA because of what happened in Chicago. Shaq even said that is the only reason they listened to him.

Agreed.

TLDR; Spo's a great young coach. Replace him with a guy like Scott Brooks and we never see the Heat team we have today. We see Joel Anthony still starting at the 5. He's a great matchup oriented guy, which leaves Lebron room to make his own decisions without the hassle of an on-court system. He's a very experimental guy who isn't afraid to try new set ups rather than stick to the consistent 'meh' results (cough cough Woodson). He's still a better coach than 75% of the league at least and deserves more credit than he gets. Can't compare with some of the all-time greats but he's still young and getting up there.

naps
06-22-2013, 03:05 PM

I am not a fan of Spo but as a Lakers fan of this past season you should realize it's not that easy to coach a bunch of stars and win it all. Oh and I bet you have no problem with Phil being top of the list even though he didn't prove jack without some of the greatest players of all-time.

naps
06-22-2013, 03:35 PM
Spo also took a bunch of nobodies to the playoff 2 straight years in his first 2 years at the helm. A rookie Michael freaking Beasley was his second best player. Heat made the biggest turnaround in NBA history in his first year (From 15 wins to 43 wins) with pretty much the same roster with a team that had no business being that good. And won almost 50 games in his second year. So there's that.

hugepatsfan
06-22-2013, 04:14 PM
He has coached his team into the finals every single year.

No he hasn't. He lost in the first round the year before they got Lebron. (Although I know for a lot of Heat fans when they got Lebron is when the franchise started for them.)

erik spoelstra is pat riley's protege...so you know whats poppin...very underrated....not even doc rivers has 2 rings as a coach...and yet, some consider him as one of the best coaches in the game today....

Give Doc that team and not only would they have won the last 2 but they wouldn't have lost to DAL the year before. He'd actually have been able to command some respect and get them to buy in. Spo pretty much just sat there while the team figured out themselves how to make things click on the offensive end. Then once Lebron and Wade got it down the Heat took off. Spo does a great job for them devising defensive plans but he isn't a strong enough voice to fix chemistry (the team takes care of that themselves, or so it appears) and he does little on the offensive end but rely on great talent.

DirkDiggler6
06-22-2013, 05:13 PM
If doc or thibodeu had this team, the heat wouldnt have been on the brink of elimination the past 2 years. Lebron bails this dude out. He loves taking away the guy with the hot hand, never makes in-game adjustments, and just plain out sucks as a motivator. He's been driving this ferrari like a mustang. Good, but not good enough. Think about this, they lost to the mavs, almost lost to the celtics last year, and needed a never before seen miracle to win the chamionship this year. I sincerely believe the heat have yet to play to the rosters FULL Potential.

Lake_Show2416
06-22-2013, 05:23 PM
Fil-ipino Jackson

SwaggaIke
06-22-2013, 05:35 PM
Look man...I don't have the time nor the energy to go through the list of reasons why Spoelstra is one of the leagues best and will probably be one of the best ever when he's done. He coached the hell out of a team of misfits before he ever had REAL TALENT outside of Dwyane Wade. He develops talent as well as anybody in the league. He turned Chalmers from a young punk into a COMPETENT floor general of not one but TWO championship teams. Erik is one of the more innovative minds on the sideline right now and he takes nothing but LESSONS from the past from Riley. Anybody with a resource like Riley in the same building as him everyday would be a fool not to listen to him when it comes to past experiences. I realized personally how good of a coach was when he found the best way to utilize LeBron James after we FAILED MISERABLY in '10-'11. Everybody can't coach talent and bring the best out of great players. Regardless of whether Miami wins or loses on a given night I know as a fan they are always equipped with the best gameplan to get a win every night. Spo is a gym rat, he lives and breathes this ****. I couldn't ask for more from a head coach, he deserves more credit for the success that Miami has been having these past three seasons.

RiceOnTheRun
06-22-2013, 07:12 PM
Look man...I don't have the time nor the energy to go through the list of reasons why Spoelstra is one of the leagues best and will probably be one of the best ever when he's done. He coached the hell out of a team of misfits before he ever had REAL TALENT outside of Dwyane Wade. He develops talent as well as anybody in the league. He turned Chalmers from a young punk into a COMPETENT floor general of not one but TWO championship teams. Erik is one of the more innovative minds on the sideline right now and he takes nothing but LESSONS from the past from Riley. Anybody with a resource like Riley in the same building as him everyday would be a fool not to listen to him when it comes to past experiences. I realized personally how good of a coach was when he found the best way to utilize LeBron James after we FAILED MISERABLY in '10-'11. Everybody can't coach talent and bring the best out of great players. Regardless of whether Miami wins or loses on a given night I know as a fan they are always equipped with the best gameplan to get a win every night. Spo is a gym rat, he lives and breathes this ****. I couldn't ask for more from a head coach, he deserves more credit for the success that Miami has been having these past three seasons.

:clap: