PDA

View Full Version : The Heat were -52 in the Finals with Wade on the court

Chronz
06-21-2013, 07:54 PM
Meaningless or contextually relevant when remembering this championship?

* Stat provided by another poster

Slug3
06-21-2013, 08:00 PM
Bosh was a +1 with 0 points and going 0-5. I believe this stat sometimes lets you know it can't always be taken as serious.

Dade County
06-21-2013, 08:02 PM
The script writers had to do something to make it a series... And Lbj already paid his dues in the Dallas series.... LMAO

Wade was hurt, what do you want from him?

ManRam
06-21-2013, 08:03 PM
individual game +/- obviously can be hugely unrepresentative and is essentially meaningless. over 7 games the sample size is probably still too small.

however, i think it is a bit telling. he wasn't terribly effective, and things seemed to open up a lot more when they replaced him with shooters.

i mean, the spurs slough off wade big time knowing that he's a weak shooter...but even more damning is the fact that wade has completely abandoned the 3 point shot. he knows it's a weakness. he commands no attention on the perimeter...and if he's not getting to the rim he's thus not terribly impacting on offense.

the injury probably played a role too. this is the second year in a row that he's been hurt. the heat have to fix that

JC_
06-21-2013, 08:07 PM
Pretty big number but I'd say pretty meaningless. Heat got blown out in game 3 and he was -29 in that game with Lebron at -32.

canefandynasty
06-21-2013, 08:09 PM
individual game +/- obviously can be hugely unrepresentative and is essentially meaningless. over 7 games the sample size is probably still too small.

however, i think it is a bit telling. he wasn't terribly effective, and things seemed to open up a lot more when they replaced him with shooters.

i mean, the spurs slough off wade big time knowing that he's a weak shooter...but even more damning is the fact that wade has completely abandoned the 3 point shot. he knows it's a weakness. he commands no attention on the perimeter...and if he's not getting to the rim he's thus not terribly impacting on offense.

the injury probably played a role too. this is the second year in a row that he's been hurt. the heat have to fix that
Whats your point? The Spurs did the same thing with LeBron, daring him to shoot.

Munkeysuit
06-21-2013, 08:12 PM
We don't care ...

JC_
06-21-2013, 08:15 PM
Whats your point? The Spurs did the same thing with LeBron, daring him to shoot.

I think his point is Wade's shot has been weak for the most part. Lebron's as well.

RLundi
06-21-2013, 08:21 PM
+/- is so overrated. So much goes into it, it's basically pointless.

ManRam
06-21-2013, 08:26 PM

lebron is a significantly better 3 point shooter than wade is, and while the spurs dared him to shot, it wasn't at all like how they guarded wade. lebron would shoot some threes here and there. the spurs dared him to shoot it early in the shot clock...but it compared nothing to how they defended wade. they'd jump out on screens and cut over said screens a good deal of the time. wade didn't attempt a single 3 all series and the spurs didn't even bother. he attempted FOUR of them all playoffs long.

wade is an absolute non-factor from 3 now. with a lebron-led offense spacing matters a ton, and wade being out there with lebron, who they also sloughed off of (just not as much) really allowed the defense to collapse and clog. when wade was out it opened things up immensely.

that's my point!

ManRam
06-21-2013, 08:28 PM
+/- is so overrated. So much goes into it, it's basically pointless.

it's not pointless in context with adequate sample sizes. not at all. start adjusting those +/- numbers (like what RAPM and the like do) and I think it's actually really telling.

in a 7 game series? well, that's pushing it. but honestly, did the heat look that much better with wade out there than when he was on the bench? i don't know. the eye test might back this up too.

IversonIsKrazy
06-21-2013, 08:34 PM
Not surprising. He killed Miami's runs a lot of the times. But he had big Game 4 & 7

amos1er
06-21-2013, 08:35 PM
Bosh was a +1 with 0 points and going 0-5. I believe this stat sometimes lets you know it can't always be taken as serious.

Agreed. +/- stat is one of the most non credible stats. There are a ton of reasons why it's terrible.

Tony_Starks
06-21-2013, 08:39 PM
Meaningless. He was the best player on the court in game 4 which changed the entire tone of the series...