PDA

View Full Version : The Better Measure of Greatness

matt_the_hulk
06-21-2013, 07:26 PM
With all the talk about player greatness and the many stats people like to recite, the number of championships seems to be an indicator that people like to throw out as a key measure of greatness.

However, as we all know, the major flaw in that comes down to total team dominance and the player not necessarily is the reason they won and could be a product of getting carried. You get the Horrys and the Kobe wasn't as important as Shaq etc.

However, the award that seems to embody the pinnacle of success in the sport while exhibiting the individual key component is finals MVP. This more shows the player was the key cog in the machine and the main reason why that team reached that pinnacle of success. Like Lebron in the last two series.

Shouldn't finals MVPs be a better metric to use for the GOAT argument than the championships themselves?

I apologize if this thread was made before.

I don't have a list but I think Jordan leads with 6, Shaq has 3, Kobe and Bron 2 each.

ManRam
06-21-2013, 07:33 PM
I value Finals MVPs more than rings or sure. It's a team achievement, but it's also heavily and individual one as well. Team success matters, but when we're comparing INDIVIDUALS, well...rings need a TON of context. Some players are more consistently on better teams with more help than others. 2 isn't always greater than 1 when it comes to rings. Hell, 1 isn't always greater than 0. It's not simple math with rings. With Finals MVPs it is a bit more.