PDA

View Full Version : Cavs In Discussion with Mavs for Marion: Dallas making a big play?

shep33
06-21-2013, 07:12 PM
Rumors: Cavs in serious discussions to acquire Shawn Marion. po.st/gOAydV

Read more: http://hoopshype.com/twitter/media.html#ixzz2WtZRnozG

Marion to #Cavs would clear $9.3 million from #Mavs cap. Cleveland can absorb salary and get upgrade on Alonzo Gee: sheridanhoops.com/2013/06/21/moc…

Read more: http://hoopshype.com/twitter/media.html#ixzz2WtZkgSBi

Don't understand it if you Cleveland

RipCity32
06-21-2013, 07:19 PM
Cavs are after the 13th pick.

h2r09
06-21-2013, 07:24 PM
Smart old cavs stock piling mid round draft picks in an awful draft. smart mr gilbert.

mgsports
06-21-2013, 07:29 PM
To move up in the Draft and I see lots of Picks been moved like Top 3.

RLundi
06-21-2013, 07:30 PM
Don't understand why they'd wanna take on Marion, even for the 13th pick.

bleedprple&gold
06-21-2013, 07:32 PM
Don't understand why they'd wanna take on Marion, even for the 13th pick.

Marion is an expiring contract. If there is a player they like at #13 they think can contribute, then I think its a smart move.

Chronz
06-21-2013, 07:33 PM
Smart old cavs stock piling mid round draft picks in an awful draft. smart mr gilbert.

this

ThuglifeJ
06-21-2013, 07:38 PM
yes yes yes please do something Mavs

The goods
06-21-2013, 07:50 PM
The Cavs would be stupid enough to do it.

WITZ
06-21-2013, 07:55 PM
Do people think this is involving the #1 pick, because if so you deserve one of these :facepalm:

bleedprple&gold
06-21-2013, 07:57 PM
Do people think this is involving the #1 pick, because if so you deserve one of these :facepalm:

Why would anyone think that? They are going to trade the #1 pick for Marion? :laugh:

shep33
06-21-2013, 08:00 PM
Yeah, pretty stupid by the Cavs imo. What's the point of getting Marion?

WITZ
06-21-2013, 08:04 PM
Why would anyone think that? They are going to trade the #1 pick for Marion? :laugh:

Well going by some of the reactions in here you would think they were. I don't see how taking on an expiring contract to move back into the lottery could possibly be a bad move even in a weak draft.

HouRealCoach
06-21-2013, 08:21 PM
Varejao
Thompson
Marion
McLemore
Irving

6th man: Waiters
Add 2 more 1st rounders, which could be Giannis Adetokoubo (for the future) & Larkin

That would be a pretty good squad for next year

bleedprple&gold
06-21-2013, 08:38 PM
Well going by some of the reactions in here you would think they were. I don't see how taking on an expiring contract to move back into the lottery could possibly be a bad move even in a weak draft.

I agree. Marion is still a serviceable player, plus you get another young player that could be good as well even if its a weak draft. Seems like a win-win unless that had other big plans with that $9 mil of cap space Marion is going to take up (unlikely)

bleedprple&gold
06-21-2013, 08:39 PM

I agree. Marion is still a serviceable player, plus you get another young player that could be good as well even if its a weak draft. Seems like a win-win unless that had other big plans with that $9 mil of cap space Marion is going to take up (unlikely)

LTBaByyy
06-22-2013, 12:29 AM
Lets make some moves!

Ebbs
06-22-2013, 12:31 AM
Yes at least give me crazy hope before we strike out in FA

EL_MACHETE
06-22-2013, 12:56 AM
Wow, Speechless...

I was really hoping Okc traded for Dallas 1st rounder..

Having the 12th & 13th pick would be perfect for us

gatkins11
06-22-2013, 12:57 AM
Yes at least give me crazy hope before we strike out in FA

Same here. Haha.

Crackadalic
06-22-2013, 08:01 AM
They should suck for one more year because next draft class has more stars. Trading for Marion doesn't help there cause

astonmartin10
06-22-2013, 08:06 AM
They need to tank again next season. Imagine Wiggins on that team

c.c.
06-22-2013, 08:30 AM
Right now i'd prefer Alonzo Gee at small forward than Marion

LTBaByyy
06-22-2013, 09:11 AM
Right now i'd prefer Alonzo Gee at small forward than Marion

Bahahahaha hahahahahaha!!!!!!!!!

Shawn Marion still posted 12 pts, 8 reb, 2 ast per game this season

Also Marion is pretty much a 10 mil expiring contract so they can have money to throw at Lebron

Stop it.

Stunner
06-22-2013, 09:16 AM
Idk how people are calling the Cavs stupid in this case , it's an expiring contract and Marion could prob average close to a double in the upcoming year . There were talks of the Cavs wanting Deng as well who is an expiring

Bruins2012
06-22-2013, 09:28 AM
Varejao
Thompson
Marion
McLemore
Irving

Add 2 more 1st rounders, which could be Giannis Adetokoubo (for the future) & Larkin

I think Larkin opted out of the draft and is in next year's draft now.

ThuglifeJ
06-22-2013, 09:40 AM
Bahahahaha hahahahahaha!!!!!!!!!

Shawn Marion still posted 12 pts, 8 reb, 2 ast per game this season

Also Marion is pretty much a 10 mil expiring contract so they can have money to throw at Lebron

Stop it.

Dont be fooled. We watched every Mavs game. Marion was awful. He clearly hit his 'remember that guy in his prime?' decline. Only reason he did anything serviceable was because he's been with the Mavericks for that championship so he had a lot of comfort and green light there.

Marion will fall off hard if he's traded guarantee it.

Hope the Mavs make a move tho

LTBaByyy
06-22-2013, 09:51 AM
Dont be fooled. We watched every Mavs game. Marion was awful. He clearly hit his 'remember that guy in his prime?' decline. Only reason he did anything serviceable was because he's been with the Mavericks for that championship so he had a lot of comfort and green light there.

Marion will fall off hard if he's traded guarantee it.

Hope the Mavs make a move tho

1) Green light??? We never ran 1 play for Marion.

What are you talking about? He gets his points off of rebounds and cutting to the basket. His points and rebounds will stay the same until he retires

2) He still plays above average defense (not elite anymore)

3) Alonzo Gee is a bench player

4) Marion is an expiring contract (9 and a half million) so they get production while also having cap space to throw at top free agents next year to go with Kyrie

5) Cavs would get 13th pick

6) Marion is a championship winning veteran that can show some of the young guys a few tips on playing and work ethic

7) Can be that glue guy on a young team like Prince is doing with Memphis

OceanSpray
06-22-2013, 10:40 AM
This is really stupid. Someone mentioned tanking, they should definitely do it for Andrew Wiggins. I don't agree with tanking, and NBA really needs to do something about it. But for this particular franchise, it seems stupid for them to not grab Andrew. Really shocked, it seems Dan is still making stupid decisions. Dear God, it seems no one wants to come play for this team so they just stock up on draft picks and force them there.

RipCity32
06-22-2013, 11:38 AM
I'm pretty sure they are interested in the pick and Not Marion like some of you are thinking.Hell Ive been wanting Detroit to make this trade for like a month now.

mdm692
06-22-2013, 12:36 PM
People here have no use of their brain. Cavs are making a move for Lebron. They rid themselves of Gee and acquire a 1st along with 9million coming off the books in one of the biggest FA in a long time. Probably bigger than 2010.

WITZ
06-22-2013, 02:37 PM
I'm pretty sure they are interested in the pick and Not Marion like some of you are thinking.Hell Ive been wanting Detroit to make this trade for like a month now.

I don't get how people aren't understanding the bolded part :laugh2:

rockets-fan
06-22-2013, 04:27 PM
Lebron isn't going back to Cleveland, I just can't see him doing that. He'd receive even more hate and I don't think any player wishes that upon themselves...didn't they burn his jersey? Not sure but I think that happened, correct me if I'm wrong.

beasted86
06-22-2013, 04:34 PM
Marion is an expiring contract. If there is a player they like at #13 they think can contribute, then I think its a smart move.

Agreed.

Could get another young role player, get Marion who would help the team and give them a savvy veteran, and he's only on a 1 yr contract, so if they want to make a max offer to someone in '14 everything is still a go.

OceanSpray
06-22-2013, 08:01 PM
1) Cleveland isn't going to get anything worthy in this draft. Total garbage. They should just sell out for another year and hope for Wiggins.

2) This can only mean Dallas is seriously going after Howard/Paul.

HouRealCoach
06-22-2013, 08:19 PM
I don't get how people aren't understanding the bolded part :laugh2:

Yeah, people are really misled

ClevelandSpider
06-22-2013, 08:26 PM
You guys are all forgetting that the Cavs still owe the Mavs for knocking off the cHeat in 2011, Dan Gilbert just trying to settle a debt...LOL

In all seriousness, the Cavs would get the 13th pick for taking on Marion's contract which is expiring...the Cavs don't want to spend this year they want to be big players in the summer of 2014 and potentially bring back LeBron or get someone else and taking on Marion doesn't affect those plans...last I checked Marion had a no trade clause and I thought I heard he said he wouldn't waive it to go to Cleveland even if its only for a year, so don't see this trade happening at least not with Marion involved, more likely the Cavs send 19, 31 and 33 for #13...

One guy made a joke about the Cavs stockpiling mid round picks in a weak draft, as opposed to what exactly? Going out and signing marquee free agents? :facepalm: The Cavs are rebuilding through the draft and that's what they must do, we aren't going to lure any marquee players to the shores of Lake Erie, heck we couldn't even keep our own local kid, so through the draft we must build...

The Cavs like Sergey Karasev who will undoubtedly be gone at #19 when they pick, so how is moving up to get their guy a headscratcher??? Seriously, do you guys even follow the NBA cause you sure don't follow the Cavs nor do you have any idea what's going on in Cleveland, yet you continue to post moronic ideas and analysis's of things you know nothing about, at least your ramblings are good for a laugh!

ragee
06-22-2013, 09:33 PM
This is really stupid. Someone mentioned tanking, they should definitely do it for Andrew Wiggins. I don't agree with tanking, and NBA really needs to do something about it. But for this particular franchise, it seems stupid for them to not grab Andrew. Really shocked, it seems Dan is still making stupid decisions. Dear God, it seems no one wants to come play for this team so they just stock up on draft picks and force them there.

If they get the number 1 pick again next year, people would start screaming conspiracy... One of them will probably be me! Lol

B'sCeltsPatsSox
06-22-2013, 09:52 PM
Varejao
Thompson
Marion
McLemore
Irving

The Cavs would be extremely dumb to draft McLemore considering they already have Waiters.

They should suck for one more year because next draft class has more stars. Trading for Marion doesn't help there cause

Marion, by himself, isn't going to turn them into a playoff team lol.

Shareeb_omac2
06-23-2013, 01:39 AM
Even if the Mavs don't end up with Dwight/Paul they are still going to land a Josh Smith, Iguodala, Al Jefferson, Monte Ellis type player with all this cap.

LTBaByyy
06-23-2013, 02:30 AM
Even if the Mavs don't end up with Dwight/Paul they are still going to land a Josh Smith, Iguodala, Al Jefferson, Monte Ellis type player with all this cap.

2 of those, not just one.

Or we can also make trades for All Star or near All Star (Like Raptors did for Rudy)

OceanSpray
06-23-2013, 05:37 AM
Mavs are laughing all the way to the bank. Marion isn't worth 9.5 million and Dallas will make a serious run for CP3, watch.

Trueblue2
06-23-2013, 06:12 AM
How anyone can think this is a bad move is beyond me. They're basically taking a mid 1st round draft pick to put back making a move in FA for another season. I don't see how it's not the right move to let the young players on the team develop and gel for another season before trying to make a splash in FA, especially if it gives them another 1st rounder.

This draft isn't great by any measure, but very productive players can still be found mid first round. Even if they strike out they didn't lose anything in the long run. Plus they'd still have about 8mil to spend this year even with marions contract on the books.

It's also a good move for Dallas for obvious reasons.

JordansBulls
06-23-2013, 09:18 AM
I thought they were going after Paul Pierce?

RipCity32
06-23-2013, 09:51 AM
Looks like the Pelicans are going to steal this deal from the Cavs.

BALLER R
06-23-2013, 10:01 AM

They don't even need wiggins to be honest. But tanking and ending up with a top 5 pick is the best case for them. They already have a superstar in the making with Irving. Imagine getting one of the top prospects next year to pair with him. Getting wiggins to pair would him would be scary though.

king4day
06-23-2013, 10:19 AM
Marion would be an upgrade and expiring for the Cavs. Their goal is to reach the postseason this year. Marion would help that.
And to also get an additional lottery pick, why NOT do it. People saying it's a weak draft must not be following the workouts. You won't get a superstar but in the mid-to later lottery, there are guys who could give you depth. Rookie depth is cheaper than veteran depth.
Also, if Leonard and Hibbert could fall so far, then you never know.

If I'm Marion I'd def want this to happen. Go from a fading team to an up and coming exciting team.
And Dallas better know what they're doing. If they strike out with Howard and Paul (which I see no reason they won't), then they stunt their rebuilding another year. Cuban needs to get with it and move on.

h2r09
06-23-2013, 11:20 AM
Marion would be an upgrade and expiring for the Cavs. Their goal is to reach the postseason this year. Marion would help that.
And to also get an additional lottery pick, why NOT do it. People saying it's a weak draft must not be following the workouts. You won't get a superstar but in the mid-to later lottery, there are guys who could give you depth. Rookie depth is cheaper than veteran depth.
Also, if Leonard and Hibbert could fall so far, then you never know.

If I'm Marion I'd def want this to happen. Go from a fading team to an up and coming exciting team.
And Dallas better know what they're doing. If they strike out with Howard and Paul (which I see no reason they won't), then they stunt their rebuilding another year. Cuban needs to get with it and move on.

Dallas is not fading. They will be on the rise after this offseason when they have so much cap space. Cleveland is dreadful. Plus you have to live in Cleveland.

MrfadeawayJB
06-23-2013, 11:29 AM

:laugh: true

ClevelandSpider
06-23-2013, 11:59 AM
:laugh: true

Laughs the fan of the Grizzlies, who gave us their 1st round pick next year and solid role players in Ellington and Speights for a guy we claimed off the waiver wire in Leuer...too funny!

Schulte212
06-23-2013, 12:35 PM
Dallas is not fading. They will be on the rise after this offseason when they have so much cap space. Cleveland is dreadful. Plus you have to live in Cleveland.

Dallas is obviously fading. I think anyone can see that. Cleveland has young and exciting players, and are on the upswing. Plus, Cleveland is a great place to live--you just have to be tough enough to handle four seasons.

True Sports Fan
06-23-2013, 01:32 PM
Marion has mentioned it previously that he would retire if playing for a rebuilding team, so I doubt this works out unless Cavs are willing to buy him out or something so he can sign with a contender

HouRealCoach
06-23-2013, 02:01 PM
If Cavs were to make this trade, draft McLemore or Noel then that would put them in the running to make the playoffs

Irving is entering his third year, Waiters & Thompson showed some serious promise last year and I look for them to be better. Add 2 more 1st rounds, another signing like CJ Miles, Varejao returning... They have the potential to be a much better team and be a 5th or 6th seed at highest

LTBaByyy
06-23-2013, 03:01 PM
Dallas is obviously fading. I think anyone can see that. Cleveland has young and exciting players, and are on the upswing. Plus, Cleveland is a great place to live--you just have to be tough enough to handle four seasons.

What are you talking about????

We would be fading if we signed Chandler, Kidd, Terry, JJ, and others

Look at all of them now.

Dallas misses 1 playoffs in 12 years where the defending champs win the title again.

This was the season to miss.

We have more than 20 mil of cap space when July starts and when Marion is traded, that's 30 mil of cap space plus MLE :dance:

It's not only free agency, we can make trades

Only takes one month of July to be elite again

Arch Stanton
06-23-2013, 03:01 PM

Thanks for trolling!

rockets-fan
06-23-2013, 03:05 PM
What are you talking about????

We would be fading if we signed Chandler, Kidd, Terry, JJ, and others

Look at all of them now.

Dallas misses 1 playoffs in 12 years where the defending champs win the title again.

This was the season to miss.

We have more than 20 mil of cap space when July starts and when Marion is traded, that's 30 mil of cap space :dance:

It's not only free agency, we can make trades

Only takes one month of July to be elite again

As a Rockets can I hope Dallas strikes out, but I just know Cuban is going to make tem into a playoff team again after this offseason

Arch Stanton
06-23-2013, 03:05 PM
If Cavs were to make this trade, draft McLemore or Noel then that would put them in the running to make the playoffs

Irving is entering his third year, Waiters & Thompson showed some serious promise last year and I look for them to be better. Add 2 more 1st rounds, another signing like CJ Miles, Varejao returning... They have the potential to be a much better team and be a 5th or 6th seed at highest

Noel is expected to be back around X-Mas, and may not play at all next season. Plus he'll miss training camp etc. Noel won't help this team much next and is more of a project, but has the most upside (they say) if they want to be patient. If the Cavs want to make the playoffs, drafting Porter or Oladipo is the better way to go.

PleaseBeNice
06-23-2013, 03:09 PM
I don't see te fascination with Cleveland. Irving is always injured, waiters is a volume shooter, Thompson is average. Add this years pick and ya still got nothin much going on

PleaseBeNice
06-23-2013, 03:11 PM
Varejao
Thompson
Marion
McLemore
Irving

Really?

WITZ
06-23-2013, 03:17 PM
God damnit I hate the ****ing cavs and everything havin to currently do with them. Waste of a ****ing franchise that got lucky in 2003 and that's it.

:facepalm: ...you deserve more than 1 of those so :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:

Arch Stanton
06-23-2013, 03:19 PM
I don't see te fascination with Cleveland. Irving is always injured, waiters is a volume shooter, Thompson is average. Add this years pick and ya still got nothin much going on

Not much huh?

mgsports
06-23-2013, 03:32 PM
I say a 5 team Trade with Portland,Orlando and Chicago involved to with Hedo/2 future First Rounder to Chicago,Deng to Portland,Marion,Carter,Gibson to Orlando,second Pick,Portland's First Round Pick to the Cavs and Future Picks to Mavericks?

Arch Stanton
06-23-2013, 03:50 PM
I say a 5 team Trade with Portland,Orlando and Chicago involved to with Hedo/2 future First Rounder to Chicago,Deng to Portland,Marion,Carter,Gibson to Orlando,second Pick,Portland's First Round Pick to the Cavs and Future Picks to Mavericks?

What the hell???

LTBaByyy
06-23-2013, 03:55 PM
As a Rockets can I hope Dallas strikes out, but I just know Cuban is going to make tem into a playoff team again after this offseason

Yall already got Harden, I hope yall strikeout as well lol

Western Conference will be even harder next year, with Mavs cap space and Lakers healthy

Eastern Conference is sooooo weak. To be honest if I was Paul and Howard I would go to Hawks

IndiansFan337
06-23-2013, 08:49 PM
Yeah, pretty stupid by the Cavs imo. What's the point of getting Marion?

The point isn't to get Marion, it's to get that #13 pick.

OceanSpray
06-23-2013, 09:03 PM
The point isn't to get Marion, it's to get that #13 pick.

Which is even worse. Who can they possibly grab from that draft to turn them championship contenders? They have a young team, they need some veterans. Not Marion, someone who they can rely on instead of Irving.

ThuglifeJ
06-23-2013, 09:09 PM
If Howard leaves I think he will end up in Houston or Dallas. Both get around the same attention Orlando did, which Dwight was clearly more comfortable with than LA.

I can't see why he wouldn't take Houston tho sadly, they have youth and talent and a go to scorer.
but Cuban can pull a lot of things off.

IndiansFan337
06-24-2013, 12:23 AM
Which is even worse. Who can they possibly grab from that draft to turn them championship contenders? They have a young team, they need some veterans. Not Marion, someone who they can rely on instead of Irving.

You don't build a championship team in one offseason unless you do a complete overhaul like Miami did in 2010. Adding a role player making only a few million per season on a rookie contract is not a negative. Dallas is just looking to dump Marion's contract and we would maintain our flexibility for cap space next summer, so it would be a wise acquisition.

Young2Kinsler
06-24-2013, 01:01 AM
People don't realize how good Marion still is. Guy is a lock down defender who can board and put back all night. Plus they get a pick upgrade and an expiring. Dallas is GIVING things away to shed salary

OceanSpray
06-24-2013, 01:05 AM
Marion doesn't turn them to championship contenders. 13th pick in one of the worst drafts doesn't solve that. If Cleveland wanted a long term goal, tank for Andrew Wiggins. If not, they are just wasting their time signing and drafting garbage. Dallas will be laughing all the way to the bank when they realize they can realistically grab CP3/Howard.

DetroitBadBoy
06-24-2013, 01:37 AM
lol there are still going to be serviceable players at #13 in the draft. Always gems that drop down and some possibilities are Cody Zeller, Shabazz, Giannis, Kelly Olynyk, Dennis Schroder, Hardaway Jr., Rudy Gobert, and Mason Plumlee. Who knows, one of the top 10 prospects might drop to 13.

All have potential to be great/decent players in the league.

Cavs want playoffs now, you heard it at the draft, if you watched it. They will still have money to spend even with Marion on board.

I was hoping Pistons made attempt at the 13th pick.

bleedprple&gold
06-24-2013, 01:44 AM
Marion doesn't turn them to championship contenders. 13th pick in one of the worst drafts doesn't solve that. If Cleveland wanted a long term goal, tank for Andrew Wiggins. If not, they are just wasting their time signing and drafting garbage. Dallas will be laughing all the way to the bank when they realize they can realistically grab CP3/Howard.

If the 13th pick in a weak draft is such garbage, then whoever they get isn't going to stop them from tanking, right?

OceanSpray
06-24-2013, 04:29 AM
If the 13th pick in a weak draft is such garbage, then whoever they get isn't going to stop them from tanking, right?

What does this even mean? If Cleveland wants the 13th pick because they think it's going to help them contend for the future, they are making another mistake. Just like they made the mistake of not bringing in pieces for James to actually win with, a 13th pick in a garbage draft isn't worth getting. There are much better players you can get for $10,000,000 than Shawn Marion. Cleveland probably can't get anyone to sign to their franchise and that's why they should continue tanking until they get Andrew Wiggins, someone who at least looks like he has potential. Him and Irving could create a good duo and with Tristan Thompson/Waiters, they are pretty much a good team for the future. If they don't tank this year, it's going to be really difficult for them in the long run. I mean seriously, why do you think Cleveland can't sign anyone these days? Cause they know it's a terrible market.

kduce
06-24-2013, 11:42 AM
The whole point is to get the 13th pick. If Marion helps them get to the playoffs this year then thats fine too. I don't think they intend to tank and thats a good thing for the integrity of the league. This is a win win they get their draft pick and basically only tie up the 10 million until next year which works for them because its a better free agent class. They can't help their market, so they need to do things their own way. They have been drafting decent and if Irving works out the way they hope they may have hope to sign a decent FA and they will have the money to do so since Marion would just be a loner. I wish the Pistons would do this, this is how the new CBA is supposed to benefit teams with cap space, they can pick up draft picks or other players by soaking up a large contract that a team needs to shed. Dallas would be basically paying the Cavs with the 13th pick to use some of their salary to soak up a contract they need to be rid of. The Cavs can afford to sit on that contract for a year, Dallas cant. It is a win win.