PDA

View Full Version : Now in retrospect, Spurs losing series, most heartbreaking loss ever for a team?

JordansBulls
06-21-2013, 01:24 AM
Now in retrospect, Spurs losing series, most heartbreaking loss ever for a team with them losing Game 6 being up 3-2. Or would you say a loss like the Pistons in 1988 Game 6 was more heartbreaking or even Dallas in 2006 or even the Knicks in 1994 vs Houston?

TestedWest
06-21-2013, 01:27 AM
Yes

Htownballa1622
I'm not sure but it's gotta be close. Game 6 was THEIR'S and they had the CHIP won. Sad for them, but great run.

shep33
Yes.

kjoke
06-21-2013, 01:28 AM
Thing that got me the most was when Duncan was talking about how in the past years everyone writes them off. Really felt sad the way he said it. I am and will always be a heat fan, but I have no problem if the spurs were to win just by the cheer class of the players

still1ballin
06-21-2013, 01:28 AM
By far. Nothing comes close to this. One free throw, one rebound!

ManRam
06-21-2013, 01:30 AM
One shot meant so much. I'd say yes.

I'd also say that it probably shows how you can't just treat rings as end-all be-alls. The Spurs had this, then Lady Luck intervened.

dalton749
06-21-2013, 01:32 AM
i felt terrible for timmy when he missed that hook even though i was rooting for the heat
probably his last shot at a championship

Iron24th
06-21-2013, 01:33 AM
The trophy was almost coming to the court when spurs were up by 5 with 28 sec left in game 6.

I can't remember a heartbreaking loss like this.

Hangtime
06-21-2013, 01:34 AM
Just a couple of simple things to close it out. Hit the free throws and box out on the 3 point miss. And the Spurs had to know in that situation if they didn't get the rebound you must cover the three point shooters. Miami needed a three to tie the game. Easy to dissect mistakes after the fact, but if you want to win you got to finish the deal. That game 6 will always be a travesty for the Spurs.

%%%%
06-21-2013, 01:34 AM
It's the most heartbreaking loss I've seen.

I didn't watch in 1988, 1994, and 2006, so I can't compare. Only from what I've seen, this Spurs loss is the most devastating.

They had it. Game 6. Series over. But no...

Sneaky
06-21-2013, 01:35 AM
It has to be.

Teeboy1487
06-21-2013, 01:38 AM
I actually feel bad for the Spurs and their fans after Game 6. They were one FT away from the championship. That's as heartbreaking as it gets.

*Superman*
06-21-2013, 01:38 AM
I really wanted Duncan to get his last ring, you know it's killing him inside, I've never seen a player so pissed they actually slapped the floor during a game. He played his *** off and it's even a bit unfair going against a prime LeBron. But they put up a hell of a fight and this Finals will always be remembered as one the Spurs "almost won", at least.

Hangtime
06-21-2013, 01:40 AM
That game 6 loss to the Heat felt like the Patriots loss to the Giants in the Super Bowl. But at least the Spurs got another shot. A couple of plays that just derailed a sure victory.

--23--
06-21-2013, 01:41 AM
Most devastating I felt really bad for Duncan.

lakerboy
06-21-2013, 01:43 AM
My heart broke when he slapped the court after that missed shot. He knew it was over then. Feel really sorry for him, but then again, he has 4 championships and is already a top 10 HOF player. He is the best PF of all time.

Shlumpledink
06-21-2013, 01:44 AM
Spurs looked poorly coached down the stretch of these last two games. Even in the 4th quarter of a few of the other games the spurs looked like they didn't know what they wanted to do.

RiceOnTheRun
06-21-2013, 01:49 AM
Thing that got me the most was when Duncan was talking about how in the past years everyone writes them off. Really felt sad the way he said it. I am and will always be a heat fan, but I have no problem if the spurs were to win just by the cheer class of the players

This was definitely one of the hardest series to watch. I was honestly pulling for the Heat in this one, but man, the Spurs are unbelievable. Tim's absolutely right. They're totally underrated by far. It was actually pretty tough to see the Spurs go down, props to them for dominating the past decade and a half.

shep33
06-21-2013, 02:00 AM
It kills me to say it, but Popovich choked away a championship for the Spurs in those 28 seconds.

Chronz
06-21-2013, 02:55 AM
One shot meant so much. I'd say yes.

I'd also say that it probably shows how you can't just treat rings as end-all be-alls. The Spurs had this, then Lady Luck intervened.

Luck gets lost in the shuffle. Bron and the Heat beat a superior team IMO.

Chrisclover
06-21-2013, 04:11 AM
the old boys are always inspiring but that is such a pity that Ginobili sucks again

Chrisclover
06-21-2013, 04:18 AM
where will spurs go to next season? TD said he hadnt considered retirement

My heart broke when he slapped the court after that missed shot. He knew it was over then. Feel really sorry for him, but then again, he has 4 championships and is already a top 10 HOF player. He is the best PF of all time.

hidalgo
06-21-2013, 04:19 AM
game 6 & even this game is heartbreaking for the Spurs. they're so lovable, it's about impossible to hate a class act like them. hate it for Tim Duncan, but he is without a doubt a top 10 player all time, & was about to get his 4th finals mvp in game 6 (but the miricale comeback happened) & in game 7. this finals & how he played adds to his legacy greatly imo. the Spurs can be proud, they made this an amazing finals, & sorta outplayed the Heat, just that unlucky end to game 6 cost them the title

i will REALLY miss Tim Duncan when he's gone. (Kobe? no, not for 1 sec, but Tim yes)

ChitownBears22
06-21-2013, 04:21 AM
When the trophy has to rolled back inside, yes it is the worst loss you can have.

Chrisclover
06-21-2013, 04:25 AM
heat finally made it. great series

Chrisclover
06-21-2013, 04:26 AM
heartbreaking for the old boys

When the trophy has to rolled back inside, yes it is the worst loss you can have.

Chrisclover
06-21-2013, 04:29 AM
i am feeling the sighing all over the world,people just respect the veterans a lot

I really wanted Duncan to get his last ring, you know it's killing him inside, I've never seen a player so pissed they actually slapped the floor during a game. He played his *** off and it's even a bit unfair going against a prime LeBron. But they put up a hell of a fight and this Finals will always be remembered as one the Spurs "almost won", at least.

WadeCounty
06-21-2013, 04:34 AM
I'm more depressed that the spurs lost than my heat winning it. I mean, I would be okay with the heat losing a game 7 if it wasn't for all the haters the heat have and how they love to rub it in when we lose but I would have been just as happy maybe even more if tim duncan would have gotten his 5th ring.

I'm not a fan of his, he bores me but I respect his game and can't deny his talent. I would have liked if he would have silenced all of the critics of writing off the spurs year after year saying they were too old, that they couldn't do it. Have him and manu retire with a ring.

Then it hit me, I never saw someone put so much blame on themselves or at least show it as obvious as tim's demeanor was. Usually when this happens most players have a chance at redemption and take that guilt off of their shoulders but he won't have the chance to.

Even tho we won, I some how feel like we lost at the same time due to how saddening it is for timmy but also as this series really went down to luck at the end of it all. Manu really did costs them a lot this series

jaji10
06-21-2013, 05:24 AM
definitely the most heartbreaking.. clinching game, up by 5 with 28 sec remaining.. just one free throw by ginobili or leonard would have been the difference, or just one defensive rebound would have sealed the deal for the spurs.. its just lady luck bounced to the heat's side..

69centers
06-21-2013, 08:11 AM
If they weren't chucking up so many three's late in the 4th, they would have been better off. Green and Neal are no Bowen and Horry.

sunsfan88
06-21-2013, 08:13 AM
This is the worst with 2010 game 7 Finals being a close second.

Remember Boston was up 13 in the second half and then choked it all away to LAL.

69centers
06-21-2013, 08:15 AM
This is the worst with 2010 game 7 Finals being a close second.

Remember Boston was up 13 in the second half and then choked it all away to LAL.

Great, it's taken me 3 years to forget, and now you refresh my memory. :ouch:

JordansBulls
06-21-2013, 08:25 AM
Luck gets lost in the shuffle. Bron and the Heat beat a superior team IMO.

Some think the 1988 Pistons were superior to the 1988 Lakers as well. Not sure I agree with that when one team wins 8 more games than the other. Maybe the Spurs were deeper, but those guys were not utlized. Green after his game 6 performance should not have been in the starting lineup anymore. Honestly the Spurs should had rolled with Tmac to give Miami something different that they would not know how to adjust to.

FYL_McVeezy
06-21-2013, 10:08 AM
The Spurs got as close as you can get to winning a ring, w/o winning a ring......benches were roped off, Larry O'Brien trophy on the court, Champange on ice in the locker room.....only to choke it away...it's gotta be the most devestating....

Knicks loss in game 6 of the 94 Finals gets honorable mention...they didn't have the lead deep in the 4th quarter like the Spurs did....

Jarvo
06-21-2013, 11:02 AM
Heartbreaking man, Heartbreaking. I wish I could have recorded my reactions, I was shaking and just utterly sick to my stomach and felt like my whole world came crashing down & Im just a fan so I know it hit them way worse.

Jarvo
06-21-2013, 11:03 AM
But still Im proud of them every year people call them old and this and that and prove folks wrong every year, If we can get a guy in like Al Jefferson or Milsap and Green & Kawhi get even better won't be shocked if we're back in it.

bathroom_man
06-21-2013, 11:13 AM
Heartbreaking man, Heartbreaking. I wish I could have recorded my reactions, I was shaking and just utterly sick to my stomach and felt like my whole world came crashing down & Im just a fan so I know it hit them way worse.

Question, this or the fisher .4 shot in 2004. Although it wasnt a closeout game

bathroom_man
06-21-2013, 11:17 AM
But still Im proud of them every year people call them old and this and that and prove folks wrong every year, If we can get a guy in like Al Jefferson or Milsap and Green & Kawhi get even better won't be shocked if we're back in it.

But they cant afford another game 7 becuz milsap nor jeffereson will be the go to guys but it will give duncan a breather for the game winner

sunsfan88
06-22-2013, 01:16 AM

Ha sorry man. I hate the Lakers and was rooting so hard for you guys plus I had bet money on Boston so imagine how bad I feel!

Tony_Starks
06-22-2013, 01:39 AM
Yeah I was going to say Celtics choking in game 7 2010. I know Celtic fans that are still hurt over that one to this day! Especially since it was to the Lakers, that's like salt in the wound.....

Korman12
06-22-2013, 02:45 AM
I'd say yes IF ... the core of the team didn't already have a bunch of titles to their name already.

Within the series, seeing as how game six played it, yes it was massively heart-breaking. But it's not like this was a team who crawled and crawled and finally got the to the finals after years of missing out. They're champions and that spot in history was already settled (sans a few of the younger guys like Leonard, Green, etc.)

JordansBulls
06-24-2013, 02:52 PM
I'd say yes IF ... the core of the team didn't already have a bunch of titles to their name already.

Within the series, seeing as how game six played it, yes it was massively heart-breaking. But it's not like this was a team who crawled and crawled and finally got the to the finals after years of missing out. They're champions and that spot in history was already settled (sans a few of the younger guys like Leonard, Green, etc.)

Yeah but it is be mixed feelings knowing it may very well had been the last time they have the chance to win it all with the core in place.

MTar786
06-24-2013, 10:03 PM

ahhh.. such a feel good moment :)

Young2Kinsler
06-24-2013, 10:14 PM
It's up there in basketball, but in all sports, the 2011 Texas Rangers take the cake.

Theyhateme459
06-24-2013, 10:20 PM
I also think of Lakers vs Portland Game 7

Jarvo
06-24-2013, 11:05 PM
Question, this or the fisher .4 shot in 2004. Although it wasnt a closeout game

This one by far, They had only 5 seconds left and poof, It hit me really hard because Im a Spurs fan in Miami and to see everyone out being happy just made me even more sad.

MrfadeawayJB
06-24-2013, 11:11 PM
SA have away game 6, Miami took game 7. At the end of the day, SA was the team that should have hoisted the trophy

LakersMaster24
06-24-2013, 11:15 PM
This one by far.

LEBRON'S FOOT WAS ON THE LINE :cry:

bathroom_man
06-25-2013, 12:08 AM
Gotta be up there with the yanks-red sox series 3-0 lead but cant recall a time in nba history where a team secs away from a trophy and end up losing