PDA

View Full Version : Fantastic Article on Tracy Mcgrady

JordansBulls
06-20-2013, 12:29 PM
http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/9403836/tracy-mcgrady-quest-one-championship-end-career

Chronz
06-20-2013, 01:27 PM
"That's where he should have went," Smith, his AAU coach, said. "He should have went to Chicago. There's no question. There's no doubt in my mind."

Instead, McGrady signed with Orlando to team up with Grant Hill, one of the game's brightest stars. He also hoped Tim Duncan, a free agent who was weighing his options, would join them to form a kind of pre–Big Three.

"Tracy made one really bad decision," Butch Carter said. "Going to Orlando was a really bad decision for him. The issue at the end of the day is Grant wasn't better than Vince."

Chicago would have been sick.

But Orlando was only a bad choice in retrospect. He could have gone to Miami as well.

What would be the basis for VC being better than Grant Hill at that point in time...... ?

Chronz
06-20-2013, 01:34 PM
McGrady averaged 30.7 points, his fourth consecutive series of 30 points or more. "He couldn't have played any better," said Barry, then a teammate of McGrady's in Houston. "And every single guy on my team just felt awful for him because he put on an unbelievable performance, every single game, guarding Dirk Nowitzki."

They collapsed again after taking the first two games of the series. Afterward, Yao said he should shoulder the criticism and did not rebound to his capabilities. "That was one that really could have gone either way," said Matt Harpring, who spent much of the series guarding McGrady. "It was just a couple of bounces here and there. I saw and heard Tracy after the game and saw that he was emotional. He should definitely know that he couldn't have done anything more to have helped his team win." McGrady went down fighting. He had 29 points, 13 assists, and five rebounds in the 103-99 Game 7 loss.

"This is why I understand why great players leave good situations and try to find great situations," Van Gundy said. "Because the media has such an impact on your perception, and they have a tunnel vision for [how] championships equate greatness instead of situations who you play with, who you play against hav[ing] a big impact on how much you win. And this is where I think McGrady's being short-changed a little bit."

Houston faced Utah again in the first round in 2008. Playing without Yao, sidelined with a stress fracture while dealing with his own knee and shoulder injuries, McGrady must have had Orlando flashbacks. His body started to wear under the burden of carrying a team night after night. Utah won in six games. McGrady poured in 40 points during Utah's closeout game, the most by a Utah playoff opponent since Michael Jordan's historic 45 points in Game 6 of the 1998 NBA Finals.

garyraymond23
06-20-2013, 02:29 PM
[I]Chicago would have been sick.

What would be the basis for VC being better than Grant Hill at that point in time...... ?

I was wondering that as well, Hill > VC IMO, better all around player. VC probably was more talented/athletic etc. but still. T-mac is CHI would've either made him legendary or pathetic. No room for mediocrity.

ThuglifeJ
06-20-2013, 05:59 PM
VC was the same if not better than Hill imo. If not they were both pretty equals, Hills injury obviously ended all that anyway. You guys are possibly saying Hill was > because of the outcome of VC's career we see while Hill still has a good reputation (even tho VC's is all based off one blip of his career and he's a great professional). I definitely remember how amazing Hill was, but for all we know he could have fell off just like McGrady, Carter did at one point even without injuries. But he had a bad injury so we pretend he was going to be the GOAT if he hadn't gotten it.

Anyway. Reading these articles make me depressed and super nostalgic. Thinking of "what ifs" and how big of a deal these guys were at one point. Even reading about the scouting on Garnett makes me sad because I miss how dominant KG was in his prime..

there was so much talent coming in the early 2000s it was unreal, absolutely unreal.

this championship means nothing for Tmac tho.

whitemamba33
06-20-2013, 06:28 PM
Everyone has their own opinion, but in a game where the whole objective is to win a championship, it's hard for me to give TMAC much credit.

Winning solves everything - unless you don't leave the bench.

Chronz
06-20-2013, 06:44 PM
Everyone has their own opinion, but in a game where the whole objective is to win a championship, it's hard for me to give TMAC much credit.

Winning solves everything - unless you don't leave the bench.

So the years Kobe carried the Lakers to the Playoffs but didn't advance werent worthy of "much credit"?

whitemamba33
06-20-2013, 06:52 PM
So the years Kobe carried the Lakers to the Playoffs but didn't advance werent worthy of "much credit"?

absolutely not.

Especially considering I thought they were good enough to advance to the second round and they weren't able to, even with being up 3 games to 1 against the Suns in '06. Kobe scored at will that season, but as a team I feel they underachieved and that's on Kobe. They then performed even poorer the following season. Kobe prides himself on scouting the opposition and developing game plans, so I can't really let that slide.

Fortunately, that didn't define his career. He'll go down as a winner.

Chronz
06-20-2013, 07:31 PM
wow, youre literally the only Laker fan Ive ever seen look back on that season as one of underachieving/regret.

LOL good day sir but that year was historic and in no way was that team good enough to make it to R.2

ThuglifeJ
06-20-2013, 07:33 PM
^what the? That's such nonsense that one player can be faulted for a whole team. How do you actually believe that.

And a Championship is the main goal, but there's so many factors that go into winning it all.
Greats who don't win a ring, don't get enough credit.

there's been so many guys..like Tmac....like AI..like Vince.. who get so much heat and criticism just because they didn't win a championship with their teams. Everytime you wanna say how good they were you get "they won how many rings??"
It's a friggin championship, one player doesn't win a championship. If they are carrying their teams into the playoffs, where there are 29 other teams to compete against during a season, they're doing a lot right.
Especially when you look at the roster those guys would carry.

Mr_Jones
06-20-2013, 07:51 PM
puppies

whitemamba33
06-20-2013, 09:35 PM
^what the? That's such nonsense that one player can be faulted for a whole team. How do you actually believe that.

And a Championship is the main goal, but there's so many factors that go into winning it all.
Greats who don't win a ring, don't get enough credit.

there's been so many guys..like Tmac....like AI..like Vince.. who get so much heat and criticism just because they didn't win a championship with their teams. Everytime you wanna say how good they were you get "they won how many rings??"
It's a friggin championship, one player doesn't win a championship. If they are carrying their teams into the playoffs, where there are 29 other teams to compete against during a season, they're doing a lot right.
Especially when you look at the roster those guys would carry.

Perhaps it was just how I was raised, but where I come from - if the ship sinks it's the captains fault.

Yes some great players never won rings, but rings are important to me. I never said anybody did anything "wrong", but a championship is the ultimate goal. A lot of it is luck, but I can't really truly judge a player until they've shown me how they compete when it's all on the line. AI, Vince, Charles - all great players. But how would they perform in game 4,5,6, or even game 7 of the NBA Finals? If I haven't gotten a chance to see a player in those situations, I haven't really seen enough.

Just my opinion.

whitemamba33
06-20-2013, 09:38 PM
wow, youre literally the only Laker fan Ive ever seen look back on that season as one of underachieving/regret.

LOL good day sir but that year was historic and in no way was that team good enough to make it to R.2

Up 3 games to 1 in the first round against the Suns. I HAVE to believe that they had a decent chance to win that series.