PDA

View Full Version : DeMarcus Cousins agent wants max extension this summer or a trade

spreadeagle
06-20-2013, 12:24 PM
Thereís a new ownership regime in Sacramento and from owner Vivek Ranadive on through new coach Michael Malone everyone has talked about Cousins as a cornerstone of the franchise and part of their future.

But will they give him max money? Cousins is eligible for an extension to his rookie contract this summer and guess what he and his agent want? From the Sacramento Bee:

Cousins is eligible for a contract extension this summer, and Fegan wants a maximum deal for his client with the threat of a trade demand looming if a deal isnít reached.

Cousins averaged 17.1 points and 9.9 rebounds a game last season, shooting a respectable 46.5 percent, with an All-Star level PER of 20.2. But the question with him has never been his talent or physical gifts, itís his head that leads him to get frustrated at points, take silly fouls and technicals, and take himself out of the game more quickly than any opponent can. He has feuded with every pro coach he has had about his commitment to the team.

For the Kings, you need a superstar franchise anchor to build around, one worthy of a max contract. Are you going to find one better than Cousins? http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/06/20/demarcus-cousins-agent-wants-max-extension-this-summer-or-a-trade/

MonroeFAN
06-20-2013, 12:31 PM
best of luck to him.

I don't know of many teams looking to max out a 7 footer who shoots 40 some odd percent from the field.

Not to mention the poor attitude, and being a constant malcontent.

spreadeagle
06-20-2013, 12:39 PM
best of luck to him.

I don't know of many teams looking to max out a 7 footer who shoots 40 some odd percent from the field.

Not to mention the poor attitude, and being a constant malcontent.

I bet they keep him and try to get Monta...but if they did trade him I think they would get a lot back, a team looking for a "star" player would give up some good picks and a decent young player or two for him

dhopisthename
06-20-2013, 12:39 PM
Cousins averaged 17.1 points and 9.9 rebounds a game last season, shooting a respectable 46.5 percent

um 46.5 is terrible for someone who doesn't shoot a significant amount of 3's

MonroeFAN
06-20-2013, 12:40 PM
DMC + Monta is a 20 win team.

Max.This
06-20-2013, 12:50 PM
If cousins went to a team like the spurs, they'd fix him up into a great player. Over in Sacramento, he runs the show, but if he went to a structurally strong franchise it'd utilize his talents. I dont think anyone can argue this kid has talent, its just his decision making and shot selection that is the problem

IndyRealist
06-20-2013, 01:00 PM
Hahahahahahahaha! He's going to handcuff someone's payroll, somewhere.

Also, didn't he talk smack about Lebron for bailing on Cleveland?

Dade County
06-20-2013, 01:02 PM
He's not worth a max deal (as of right now).

Dade County
06-20-2013, 01:03 PM

something like that.

everyone just wanted to jump on the hate train... thats all it was, just pure jealousy & hate.

c.c.
06-20-2013, 01:03 PM

:laugh:

ghettosean
06-20-2013, 01:07 PM

This is not close to what Lebron did....

Lebron did not say give me the max or trade me

Lebron just left after her promised Cleveland that he wouldn't leave the Cavs until he brought them a championship.

That's bailing!

colinskik
06-20-2013, 01:13 PM
His talent is deserving of a max contract, but if you consider the entire package there's no way any halfway reasonable team gives it to him.

Bruno
06-20-2013, 01:21 PM
max contracts should be reserved for the top 10-15 players in the league. the scam is that every team is allowed to offer a max deal. the reality is that there aren't 30 max level players in the NBA and small market teams create lock-outs because they have no choice but to float in mediocrity while they build and spend around players who get the max contract without having the on court production that a match contract should demand.

sammyvine
06-20-2013, 01:29 PM
good luck to that franchise that is stupid enough to give him a max deal

i understand not every max player can be lebron or kobe but at least be able to get your teams to the playoffs.
damacrus cousins cant and will never be that

smith&wesson
06-20-2013, 01:32 PM
He will get a max deal... How many real C's are there ? 18 & 9 with lots of room to grow.. He'll get the deal he is looking for ..

the celtics should go after him.. Rondo and cousins would be :drool:

sammyvine
06-20-2013, 01:34 PM
He will get a max deal... How many real C's are there ? 18 & 9 with lots of room to grow.. He'll get the deal he is looking for ..

the celtics should go after him.. Rondo and cousins would be :drool:

probably this
he isnt even that good

RiceOnTheRun
06-20-2013, 01:38 PM
Trade him to Charlotte for 2014 first round pick and MKG.

They'd be dumb enough to make that move.

RiceOnTheRun
06-20-2013, 01:39 PM
max contracts should be reserved for the top 10-15 players in the league. the scam is that every team is allowed to offer a max deal. the reality is that there aren't 30 max level players in the NBA and small market teams create lock-outs because they have no choice but to float in mediocrity while they build and spend around players who get the max contract without having the on court production that a match contract should demand.

Then that's their fault for offering it to them. That's what the draft's for. OKC and SAS did it, there's no reason any other team can't hire a competent GM to build a team through the draft.

GMpunk
06-20-2013, 01:45 PM
i would NEVER trade for him... he aint worth the money.... hiz Fg pct iz way 2 low... bad attitude.... he iz way over rated.... he will poison younger playerz in2 thinkin thatz ok act like him and still get paid....

lamzoka
06-20-2013, 01:46 PM

+1

=21

i would feel sorry for any team that have DMC and Monte Ellis as their cornerstones. they wont even get along

TheNumber37
06-20-2013, 03:48 PM
he's worth what Deandre Jordan is actually making.12 per, max

kduce
06-20-2013, 04:04 PM
I think he has the potential to be a great player and has a chance to turn his attitude around. That being said, he also has the potential to be a cancer to his team and blow up a team's chances at success. IMO you don't give a player a Max deal based on potential... especially when the potential risk is just as great as the reward.

kobe4thewinbang
06-20-2013, 04:16 PM
I think he has the potential to be a great player and has a chance to turn his attitude around. That being said, he also has the potential to be a cancer to his team and blow up a team's chances at success. IMO you don't give a player a Max deal based on potential... especially when the potential risk is just as great as the reward.+1

His agent sounds desperate. Who the hell would want this guy? If he didn't have the attitude, sure.

astonmartin10
06-20-2013, 04:40 PM

LOL....if Cousins wasnt such a headcase Id give him Max

rockets-fan
06-20-2013, 04:42 PM
I think he has the potential to be a great player and has a chance to turn his attitude around. That being said, he also has the potential to be a cancer to his team and blow up a team's chances at success. IMO you don't give a player a Max deal based on potential... especially when the potential risk is just as great as the reward.

Houston did it with Harden and he deserves evry dime,but then again he was never a problem attitude wise.

sunsfan88
06-20-2013, 04:48 PM
This is what happens when guys like Eric Gordon, Nicolas Batum etc are making max $$$. Now every player that's even remotely good wants a max contract.

I could see the Suns trading for DMC but I really hope they don't. I hate guys with his kind of personality.

But I could also envision SAS trading for Cousins if Duncan retires after this season. They will fix up Cousins and then him into a HOFer.

LakeShowRaider
06-20-2013, 04:55 PM
HAHAHAHA!!! This inconsistent joke of a player???

COOLbeans
06-20-2013, 05:06 PM
I'm sure they do lol

soundjunkies2
06-20-2013, 05:11 PM
Trade him to Charlotte for 2014 first round pick and MKG.

They'd be dumb enough to make that move.

That's not even a terrible deal. A good pick in a stacked 2014 draft + MKG and you rid yourself of the headcase.

Rodney Stuckey
06-20-2013, 05:15 PM
Greg Monroe averaged 16 points 10 rebounds a game rather have him, less drama and problems reminds me of starburry with his attitude.

MagicBucsSox
06-20-2013, 05:26 PM
Hell he's better than Hibbert and Jordan. They both got max deals. I understand his thinking

deaner
06-20-2013, 06:28 PM
What is max for him? People here are reacting like its 20.

Iron24th
06-20-2013, 07:25 PM
Cousins? Max deal?

FriedTofuz
06-20-2013, 07:41 PM
Demar Derozan + a 1st round pick in 2014 Draft,

lowry
Ross
Gay
Cousins
Valancuinas

demar derozan avged 18 ppg/4 reb/ 2.5 ast/ PER

The last 10 games of the season, the raptors were 7-2, and of those those, 6/9 were teams above .500.
During that stretch, Derozan averaged 23 ppg/ 50% from 3pt and was a lot more effecient with his fg% (im too lazy to calculate it).

pretty solid deal if you ask me, though I'm not sure the kings would need derozan as they have thorton, and evans.. but It's certainly worth considering. The raptors would be a much better team with cousins and valancuinas in their post

Nats_vcu-Okc35
06-20-2013, 10:18 PM
What is max for him? People here are reacting like its 20.

It really took this long for someone to say this? This is his first max deal, and that upside is way to high to just throw this guy in the bin. I fully understand you are taking a risk, and that the dude can be a head case, no doubt.

Realistically, the kings have been nothing to write home about on any front. Their management and ownership has been in flux, the personnel turnover has been ridiculous. That lineup is full of tweeners outside of Cousins, and based on the fact that every facet of the kings organization underachieved, that team needs to reconstruct the team from the ground up.

Cousins is making a statement to the team, pay me every penny you can to keep me here, or I'm going to go to another team, and maybe have a better chance of success. If the Kings decide to part ways, then thats their decision to make.

The market will determine whether he is worth a max, and there will for sure be more than one team to go after him. Realistically, a young 7 foot rebounder with a low FG% is not an impossible set of tools to deal with. If I was faced with the prospect of Andrew Bynum and his contract/knees or DeMarcus Cousins first 4-year max deal/personality, I wouldn't blink. I'd choose Cousins.

I see the Wizards, Hornets, Cavaliers, Suns, 76ers, Pelicans, Mavs, Trailblazers, even the Clippers, Bulls and the Celtics have needs at the position, and tradable assets to varying degrees.

3RDASYSTEM
06-20-2013, 10:29 PM
http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/06/20/demarcus-cousins-agent-wants-max-extension-this-summer-or-a-trade/

show that man the max money

I mean for the name of Naismith he did have a allstar PER of 20

got to love that PER

GiantsSwaGG
06-20-2013, 10:38 PM
:laugh:

Chrisclover
06-21-2013, 04:51 AM
if i were him , i would also demand a max contract

Kashmir13579
06-21-2013, 04:53 AM
Cancer.

Poem33
06-21-2013, 06:20 AM
demarcus cousins has the talent of shaq.. dominant big body with post game. issue: SERIOUS ATTITUDE PROBLEMS. needs to understand what he has going for him and put up better numbers. max contract when he struggled last year? WHAT?

RiceOnTheRun
06-21-2013, 09:14 AM
This is what happens when guys like Eric Gordon, Nicolas Batum etc are making max $$$. Now every player that's even remotely good wants a max contract.

I could see the Suns trading for DMC but I really hope they don't. I hate guys with his kind of personality.

But I could also envision SAS trading for Cousins if Duncan retires after this season. They will fix up Cousins and then him into a HOFer.

Is that a joke? He's exactly the type of player Pop hates and would probably drop as soon as the first incident.

RiceOnTheRun
06-21-2013, 09:20 AM
It really took this long for someone to say this? This is his first max deal, and that upside is way to high to just throw this guy in the bin. I fully understand you are taking a risk, and that the dude can be a head case, no doubt.

Realistically, the kings have been nothing to write home about on any front. Their management and ownership has been in flux, the personnel turnover has been ridiculous. That lineup is full of tweeners outside of Cousins, and based on the fact that every facet of the kings organization underachieved, that team needs to reconstruct the team from the ground up.

Cousins is making a statement to the team, pay me every penny you can to keep me here, or I'm going to go to another team, and maybe have a better chance of success. If the Kings decide to part ways, then thats their decision to make.

The market will determine whether he is worth a max, and there will for sure be more than one team to go after him. Realistically, a young 7 foot rebounder with a low FG% is not an impossible set of tools to deal with. If I was faced with the prospect of Andrew Bynum and his contract/knees or DeMarcus Cousins first 4-year max deal/personality, I wouldn't blink. I'd choose Cousins.

I see the Wizards, Hornets, Cavaliers, Suns, 76ers, Pelicans, Mavs, Trailblazers, even the Clippers, Bulls and the Celtics have needs at the position, and tradable assets to varying degrees.

http://cdn.fansided.com/wp-content/blogs.dir/24/files/2013/02/7033978.jpg

Jarvo
06-21-2013, 09:38 AM
Pop can get his mental right :hope: or even with a team like The Thunder or Bulls.

Nats_vcu-Okc35
06-21-2013, 11:19 AM
http://cdn.fansided.com/wp-content/blogs.dir/24/files/2013/02/7033978.jpg

Haha trust me im not trashing Noah. I was talking more about boozer and his expiring contract. The bigger point i was making, is that it only takes two or three teams to drive the price up on this guy. Move Noah over to PF and Noah and Cousins could work, especially if you can get the guy to play some Bulls caliber defense. If you want to try and win in the East it seems like the most effective method is controlling the boards. On a team like the Bulls, defenses wont be able to key in on him, like they are now, and I would bet you would see that FG would go up as a result of easier shots. Not saying its gonna happen, just thought it could work from a fit perspective.

MonroeFAN
06-21-2013, 02:28 PM
Hell he's better than Hibbert

Do people honestly think this?

rockets-fan
06-21-2013, 03:33 PM
Give me Hibbert and Monroe over him any day. He doesn't deserve a max, there are only a few players worth the max IMO

James
Durant
Cp3
Harden
Rose
Howard
M.Gasol
Melo
Love

Those are the only guys id give a max to right now.

Nats_vcu-Okc35
06-21-2013, 04:18 PM
Pop can get his mental right :hope: or even with a team like The Thunder or Bulls.

Interested as to how you see him fitting on the Thunder? Not saying your wrong, but do you think they could make it work in terms of cap?

Jarvo
06-21-2013, 06:09 PM
Idk how with the cap but I think he doesnt need to be around young players he need vets. If he goes to a team like The Spurs, Bulls, Thunder or even Boston if Doc stays I dont see him acting up. Durant and Westbrook will keep his mind right.

Snakeyestx
06-21-2013, 06:18 PM
He wants a Max extension, and the team wants him to be able to finish more than 2 games in a row without a tantrum and ejection.

He'll get that when I become a Chinese Prime Minister. :D

MonroeFAN
06-21-2013, 06:32 PM
Centers I would take over him.

Dwight
Hibbert
Gasol
Monroe
Drummond
Noah

Sure i'm missing some.

True Sports Fan
06-21-2013, 10:53 PM
Centers I would take over him.

Dwight
Hibbert
Gasol
Monroe
Drummond
Noah

Sure i'm missing some.

Drummond over Cousins? :laugh2:

MonroeFAN
06-22-2013, 12:43 AM
Drummond over Cousins? :laugh2:

Not sure why you would laugh at that, drummond is most likely the 2nd most valuable player on that list moving forward.

Demarcus is garbage dude. 40% big men have negative value, and he has a poor attitude.

sunsfan88
06-22-2013, 01:18 AM
Is that a joke? He's exactly the type of player Pop hates and would probably drop as soon as the first incident.

Pop didn't seem to care taking in Stephen Jackson now did he?