PDA

View Full Version : NBA All-time Redraft: Newport Beach (4) VS Mos Eisley (5)

The_Jamal
06-19-2013, 09:15 PM
Disclaimer: Hello Everyone. Welcome to the NBA All-time redraft playoffs. These will be a battle between two made up teams from our host of GM’s in to see who reigns superiority over all of basketball. Please read the write-ups and vote for who you would win in a 7 game series.
Newport Beach has HCA

Newport Beach Write-up[/B]

PG Steve Nash (34) / Mark Jackson (14) / Calvin Murphy
SG Jamaal Wilkes (24) / Allan Houston (24) / Rolando Blackman
SF Billy "The Kangaroo Kid" Cunningham (30) / Tayshaun Prince (12) / Jamaal Wilkes (6)
PF Tim Duncan (30) / Tayshaun Prince (10) / Joakim Noah (8) / Michael Cage
C Robert "The Chief" Parish (32) / Tim Duncan (10) / Joakim Noah (6)

I’ll preface all of this by saying Chronz did a hell of a job building his team, and we could not be facing a more evenly matched first round opponent. That being said, somebody has to win this matchup, and here’s why:

Offensively
So much of what our squad does offensively will be predicated on Steve Nash’s playmaking ability. Off of every rebound, we’ll be looking to push offensively with athletic wings like Jamaal Wilkes and “Kangaroo Kid” Billy Cunningham as his running mates, both notoriously athletic transition players with excellent mid-range jumpers. If their defense picks up the transition game, the main offensive threats will be the Nash pick and roll with Duncan or Parish. Both are excellent offensive bigs with great hands and range out to 18 feet. Their ability to stretch the floor with also pull KG and Thurman from the paint, providing more space for Nash, Wilkes, Cunningham and bench wings to penetrate. Duncan and Parish can also manufacture points with their backs to the basket in the low post, and if Payton moves to double one of them, he leaves one of the greatest 3-point shooters in NBA history open on the perimeter. Prince and Houston will also be key off the bench, as their excellent 3-point shooting (37% and 40% career averages, respectively) will provide perimeter options for Nash and Mark Jackson. Duncan’s excellent passing out of the post (career 16.5% AST%) will also be key to the team’s ball movement, as will the penetration and playmaking of Cunningham (ABA MVP in 73, 21.2 PPG, 17.6% AST%), who will be defended by a terrible defender in Chris Mullin (career 110 DRtg). Every player in our starting five can hit a jumper out to 18 feet, and there’s plenty of 3-point shooting to go around between Nash, Houston, Prince and Blackman. When Nash is on the floor, Jackson (3rd all-time in assists), can step in fairly easily to fill his playmaking shoes, while providing stellar defense on Payton or Rose.

Defensively

There are two key advantages on this side of the ball: Parish and Wilkes. KG’s mid-range jumper and versatile offensive game will keep Duncan out of the paint, although the 14-time All-Defensive big man will certainly have an impact on that end with his athleticism and near perfect fundamentals. But Thurmond’s offensive deficiencies (career 47% TS%) will allow Parish to hang around the rim to bother shots in the paint (11th all-time shot blocker) and pound the glass (8th all-time rebounder). The length of Wilkes will also be key, as he’ll be guarding Mullin on the perimeter rather than Walker, who will be defended by Cunningham (former teammates in Philly). A two-time All-Defensive player and one of the best perimeter defenders of the 70s, Wilkes has length and defensive chops to help out on penetrators like Payton and still get back on Mullins when he’s open on the perimeter. Prince(four-time All-Defense) has a similar advantage guarding perimeter shooters, while also providing the versatility to guard opposing 4s. And Noah will play a key role defensively when he comes in for Duncan or Parish, pounding the glass and playing excellent help defense. Nash on Payton seems like a disadvantage on this end of the floor, but when you consider the length of our squad and the defensive chops of guys like Duncan, Wilkes, Noah, Parish and Prince (combined 22 All-Defensive teams), he’ll never have a clear path to the basket, and we’re not concerned about him getting open beyond the arc (career 31.7% 3-point shooter). It’s also worth noting that our squad possesses excellent shot blockers and rebounders, with two 7-footers who will not allow easy baskets around the rim or second chance opportunities.

Why We’ll Win

There’s a number of reasons why our squad will win this match-up, but it all begins with postseason dominance. In addition to a combined 5 MVPs, our starters earned a combined 12 rings, and Nash may be ringless, but he’s notorious for big playoff moments. By comparison, Mos Eisley’s starters(who have 0 combined MVPs) earned a combined 3 rings (one of which was Payton’s as a role player with the Heat). And it’s not a coincidence those guys didn’t win more titles. Garnett’s Wolves were crushed twice by Duncan’s Spurs in the playoffs, and he was hardly viewed as a stellar postseason performer prior to joining Boston. And Payton’s postseason numbers (14/5/4 with a 15.4 PER, .098 WS/48) are totally pedestrian compared to his regular season stats. In terms of on-the-court reasons, Mos Eisley lacks great spacing offensively, and their defensive advantage is not nearly as much of an advantage as it seems. Mullins is their only great shooter in the starting five, and Thurmond will have to live around the basket to be effective. Their only decent advantage lies in Payton’s defense on Nash, but that strength is seriously overrated as head-to-head matchups in their careers prove otherwise. In 31 career games, Nash averaged 16.7/8.4/3.2 per 36 minutes on .470/.450/.930 shooting percentages against Payton. Does that look like Payton shut him down? Mos Eisley’s bench back court seems sexy on paper, but they won’t get enough minutes to have a huge impact, they won’t be nearly as effective driving the lane against our interior defense and they’re both ball dominant guards who would not play nicely together.

Our team has better crunch time scorers, better postseason performers, a more fluid offensive attack and just more talent overall, which is why it will eventually prevail in a hard-fought series. Newport Beach in 6.

Mos Eisley Write-up

PG Gary Payton (34) / Derrick Rose (14)
SG Chet Walker (30) / James Harden (18) / Woolridge (0)
SF Chris Mullin (30) / George McGinnis (12) / Horry (6)
PF Kevin Garnett (36) / Robert Horry (10) / Antonio McDyess (2)
C Nate Thurmond (32) / Antonio McDyess (10) / Joe Barry Carroll (2)

Pregame thoughts:
This matchup is the culmination of 2 similar minded teams who arrived at radically different gameplans, battling it out for glory. To explain you have to look at our draft choices:
Tim Duncan was followed by Kevin Garnett, Gary Payton came before Nash. With our 3rd pick, we both decided to bolster the frontline by giving our star big a partner in the paint (Parish vs Nate Thurmond). Knowing the value of grabbing the legit 60's/70's players, we both took former champions from the same Philly team. Its like looking at a twisted mirror image of yourself.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Rebounding Philosophy: We prefer to get back in transition rather than crash the glass. With the exception of Nate Thurmond, everyone else will sprint back after the initial shot attempt in order to corral the transition game of Nash, Wilkes and Cunningham.

Offensive Philosophy - A simplistic approach is best for my team, the first option of the offense will always be to post up either GP or KG, both were great in the pivot and beyond excellent at passing out of double teams. If or when those doubles come, the primary swing outlet will be Chris Mullin, who was among the premier off the ball threats of his heyday. Mullin wasnt just a shooter either, he was a triple threat player who could beat you with the pass, put the ball on the deck vs close outs on top of that sweet J.

Chet Walker is the secondary swing option off those doubles (if Mullins is unable to get his shot). In his time, Walker was arguably the best 1 on 1 player in the league, he helped Chamberlain win his only title in Philly, all while operating under a similarly post centric offense, and he put up some big numbers when he was on his own. Hes a more than adequate shot creator if our primary and secondary options are taken away.

You may have noticed the only name I've yet to mention was Nate Thurmond. In his time he was guilty of putting up one too many jumpers, thankfully Ive surrounded him enough scoring support that his role in this offense will be minuscule. He will be the sole bigman in the starting unit who crashes the offensive glass. Outside of that his offense will consist of putbacks and outlet jumpers at the elbow. Zero post ups.

Bench Mob Offense:
The strength of my bench resides in the backcourt (Rose/Harden). Thus, the offense will be much more of a modern drive and kick, Pick&Roll oriented approach. Built around the mindnumbing athleticism of Derrick Rose with Harden's methodical attack providing another dimension of the PnR. Either Rose or Harden replaces Chet in the closing unit. FYI

The rest of the bench players were chosen with the focus being on finishers, to compliment the playmaking ability of GP, Rose, KG, Harden.

Robert Horry is my swiss army knife, capable of playing either 3 or 4, without losing anything in the way of team defense or spacing. Because hes clutch as hell and can play off all my stars, hes a possibility to close in a smaller lineup with KG at the 5.

George McGinnis vs Julius Erving was at one point a legit conversation, they even co-won an ABA MVP. While time eventually put that discussion to rest, its easy to see why I chose him as my athletic swing. He and Horry are my combo forwards that can utilize their "corner" skills to exploit a matchup advantages against more traditional setups. George will work off the ball and if he can find any gaps in the defense he will explode and finish.

Antonio McDyess is the primary backup bigman, hes the main pick setter as hes an explosive finisher at the rim.

Joe Barry Carrol was my final pick, but hes a former #1 draft choice who can fit in with an inverted offense that has bigmen shooting jumpers and perimeter guys playing inside.

Defensive Game Plan - This is where I really wanted my team to shine. I have an elite on ball defender in GP, THE greatest post defender in NBA history in Thurmond and the best PnR hedger of all-time in KG. Those are just their strengths, all were well rounded defensive players from an invidual+team standpoint. Because of that, I intend to cross match quite abit.

Against the "Blue Man Group", my number 1 focus is obviously Tim Duncan. His designated defender will be Nate Thurmond (with KG getting a few reps in) and while my intention is to play him 1 on 1, how I defend him will depend on who shares the court with him. The basic rule of thumb for my defense against Duncan is this, if there are 2 non-3pt threats on the perimeter, we bltiz the PnR and we trap the post half the time.

Against his starting 5:
Nash-Wilkes-Cunningham-Duncan-Parish
I anticipate this unit will rely primarily on post-ups for Duncan and a Nash-Duncan PnR, with Wilkes/Billy playing off those 2 and Parish getting the scraps. Against his inevitable post-ups, I plan to sag off his swings. I have absolutely no respect for the 3pt shooting of either Wilkes or Cunningham, which means whenever this combination is on the floor, Duncan will get doubled on half his post touches. As soon as Allan Houston comes into the game, the gameplan shifts to a traditional set up with PG guarding opposing PG and Duncan being contained 1 on 1.

VS Nash: (Chet Walker)
The primary defender on Nash isn't my concern, because hes not an isolation scorer Im not planning to put Gary Payton on Nash extensively. Instead I plan to put the much bigger Chet Walker on him. As stated, the 1 on 1 defense isn't whats important so much as the team defense against his PnR attack.
Because of the cross matching, KG isn't likely to be the primary PnR defender against the Nash-Duncan combo but hes also the perfect roam and recover bigman to provide help to Thurmond and muck up any PnR. GP will get his reps in too tho. Think of it as a 50/50 split.

VS Wilkes: (Gary Payton)
This is where GP will earn his money, by completely taking away the 1 on 1 attack of Silk Wilkes. And off the ball, because he lacks range, GP can sag and play the passing lanes abit and also harrass Duncan on post ups, hopefully forcing turnovers in the process.

VS Parish: (Kevin Garnett)
KG will hopefully get to rest abit on Parish, I dont anticipate him being a go to option, KG is well equipped athletically to defend Parish while providing help IMO.

VS Billy Cunningham: (Mullin)
Cunningham is a great player but he was the 6thman in Philly both for his energy off the bench but also to make use of what was an otherwise redundant skillset with the starters... his rebounding prowess.

I feel like he was the 60's version of a Shawn Marion, only with less range and defense. As stated before, the combination of Wilkes-Cunningham will compromise his spacing abit, the problem is compounded with Billy however, because he was more of an interior player. He wont be disrespected off the ball tho (Rondo style), keeping him off the glass will be the primary concern.

Closing Statement: My team is better.

Nick O
06-19-2013, 09:17 PM
what ..... star wars reference?

mightybosstone
06-19-2013, 09:28 PM
Whoops.... I very stupidly just voted for my own team. Can someone change my vote to GM?

mightybosstone
06-19-2013, 09:30 PM
Also, why aren't the votes public? That's the only way we can know about the 100 post rule.

PatsSoxKnicks
06-19-2013, 09:36 PM
We're going to re-post the matchup