PDA

View Full Version : Duncan's 4th quarter

nastynice
06-19-2013, 07:29 PM
Complete no show. If lebron did this, there'd be 50 threads about it already. What about Duncan? An undeniable top 5 player at his position, one of the best bigs to ever lace em up. Say what you want about Pop and Ginobli, this guy sure did his part in letting his team down in the clutch. In crunch time, the previous 40 minutes just don't matter. what the hell happened??

OceanSpray
06-19-2013, 07:34 PM
Haven't you heard? He's LeBron James.

lakerfan85
06-19-2013, 07:41 PM
Did they even go to him that much in the fourth?? Hell all I remember is manu turning the ball over every other possession.. Also Duncan isn't the primary option for the spurs anymore..

Hawkeye15
06-19-2013, 07:43 PM
Duncan has 4 titles, has established himself as a quiet all timer, plays in a small market with minimal media attention, and never had the world watch or judge every moment of his life. He also doesn't routinely stick his foot in his mouth, or have the media just wear you out with coverage of him.

LeBron has failed 2/3 times on the biggest stage, has been the subject of public scrutiny never seen before, and much of it he brought on himself. While I am a documented LeBron fan, and most of it is BECAUSE of the intense and irrational hate he got, along with him being the best I have seen since MJ, I also understand that at the end of the day, nothing LeBron can do will change the fact that the public will overreact to everything about him, and he brought a lot of that on himself.

Hangtime
06-19-2013, 07:45 PM
37 year old Duncan a no show in the 4th after a dominating first half? Maybe he just got tired and worn down after abusing Bosh.

Hawkeye15
06-19-2013, 07:46 PM
Did they even go to him that much in the fourth?? Hell all I remember is manu turning the ball over every other possession.. Also Duncan isn't the primary option for the spurs anymore..

another good point. The standard we have for Duncan at age 37 is nothing compared to what we demand from Bron.

Hangtime
06-19-2013, 07:56 PM
They didn't go to him much if at all. But when Manu tried, the passes were awful. One bounced off a Heat player chest. But Duncan did look a bit fatigued, but how can anyone set the bar so high for a 37 year old who just beasted in the first half?

Slug3
06-19-2013, 09:01 PM

I think he was like 0-7 or something for OT and 4th. But he is 36 or so. Could have just gotten tired. You really don't expect someone at his age to carry a team and he did for 3 periods.

Bruno
06-19-2013, 10:05 PM
Duncan didn't get the ball in the 4th quarter or overtime as much, in as good of spots (who do you blame, SA offense or Miami defense?). He missed a couple of gimmes, but he still had a great game.

think about this. Duncan had a +16 game score in 44.5 minutes played. SA dominates with Duncan on the floor, and get dominated without him.

How about Parker? 6/23? That sounds familiar, but at least Kobe got 15 rebounds ;)

true
06-19-2013, 10:07 PM
All I remember is them having trouble getting Duncan the ball... And Pop sitting him for so long may have messed up his rhythm.

10000% of the blame for the loss in on Pop. He has the ability to pull Manu, which the world was screaming for him to do in the 1st half.

Guppyfighter
06-19-2013, 10:09 PM
Look up regression to the mean.

That's what happened to Duncan.

ChitownBears22
06-19-2013, 10:20 PM
Sorry but if he gets credit for the great first half, then he has to take blame for a poor second half. You can't have it both ways. Defensively he didn't play well in the second half and offensively he had 5 points. He had 7 shot attempts in the 4th and OT and he connected on 0 of them. It happens even to the best players. He will get over it.

true
06-19-2013, 10:23 PM
Sorry but if he gets credit for the great first half, then he has to take blame for a poor second half. You can't have it both ways. Defensively he didn't play well in the second half and offensively he had 5 points. He had 7 shot attempts in the 4th and OT and he connected on 0 of them. It happens even to the best players. He will get over it.

Having a bad half happens all the time, even by the best players...

A Hall of fame coach making the 8 worst coaching blunders of his career, ALL IN ONE GAME, happens once in a life time (if ever).

So that's where the blame should be appropriately placed.

Dade County
06-19-2013, 10:25 PM
Double standard... Anything dealing with Lbj.

Just deal with it.

ChitownBears22
06-19-2013, 10:26 PM
Having a bad half happens all the time, even by the best players...

A Hall of fame coach making the 8 worst coaching blunders of his career, ALL IN ONE GAME, happens once in a life time (if ever).

So that's where the blame should be appropriately placed.

Pop didn't make Timmy go 0/7. Pop is has some blame as well. But this is a team game, everyone has some blame to take in a loss, Tim had a poor showing after a hot start, like I said it happens. He will survive.

Guppyfighter
06-19-2013, 10:26 PM

Or people could not be stupid and just judge his game as a whole.

ChitownBears22
06-19-2013, 10:30 PM
Or people could not be stupid and just judge his game as a whole.

Then his game as a whole was disappointing. Such a monsterous start that went downhill and ended up costing his team. That is on the whole. But that doesn't tell the whole story does it?

true
06-19-2013, 10:32 PM
Pop didn't make Timmy go 0/7. Pop is has some blame as well. But this is a team game, everyone has some blame to take in a loss, Tim had a poor showing after a hot start, like I said it happens. He will survive.

I guess you didn't put what I said in full perspective.

If a running back has an amazing 1st half, but does NOTHING in the 2nd half... And t hey lose the superbowl... That has happened before... And will continue to happen over and over again.

If a coach goes for it on 4th and 35 4 times, and they end up losing the game... This doesn't happen often.... In fact, it doesn't ever happen.....

Which is why Pop gets 10 billion % of the blame.

Duncan's No show had NOTHING to do with the outcome of the game, they should've still won....

As horribly as Pop coached, who knows.... Even if Duncan scored 20 in the 4th quarter, Pop probably would've found a way to throw the game, lose the game.... He tried his hardest, and he succeeded.

He left manu in with more turnovers than the entire team.... Hell, maybe he would've pulled Timmy if he saw him heating up in the 4th.... Who knows. Everything else he did was bizarre and once in a lifetime.

That's the difference... And I'll just chalk up any further arguing about it to stubbornness of not wanting to acknowledge a better argument.

Guppyfighter
06-19-2013, 10:36 PM
Then his game as a whole was disappointing. Such a monsterous start that went downhill and ended up costing his team. That is on the whole. But that doesn't tell the whole story does it?

His game as a whole was great and put the team in position to win. Heat had a 1.8 percent chance to win with thirty seconds. I will take that any day. Replay that over and over again, and the Spurs win over and over again.

His play put them in that position.

ChitownBears22
06-19-2013, 10:37 PM
I guess you didn't put what I said in full perspective.

If a running back has an amazing 1st half, but does NOTHING in the 2nd half... And t hey lose the superbowl... That has happened before... And will continue to happen over and over again.

If a coach goes for it on 4th and 35 4 times, and they end up losing the game... This doesn't happen often.... In fact, it doesn't ever happen.....

Which is why Pop gets 10 billion % of the blame.

Duncan's No show had NOTHING to do with the outcome of the game, they should've still won....

As horribly as Pop coached, who knows.... Even if Duncan scored 20 in the 4th quarter, Pop probably would've found a way to throw the game, lose the game.... He tried his hardest, and he succeeded.

He left manu in with more turnovers than the entire team.... Hell, maybe he would've pulled Timmy if he saw him heating up in the 4th.... Who knows. Everything else he did was bizarre and once in a lifetime.

That's the difference... And I'll just chalk up any further arguing about it to stubbornness of not wanting to acknowledge a better argument.

Pop made poor choices. Tim did not perform.

In your analogy, blame still gets placed on the running back depending on the situation.

Tim flat out flopped in the 4th and OT with his performance. Pop made a poor choice playing him in hindsight. Better blame Pop for that too.

ChitownBears22
06-19-2013, 10:38 PM
His game as a whole was great and put the team in position to win. Heat had a 1.8 percent chance to win with thirty seconds. I will take that any day. Replay that over and over again, and the Spurs win over and over again.

His play put them in that position.

His play also cost them. If he converts any of his 7 shots the game is over. He did not. He even said that is on him in his post game interview. I guess Tim is wrong.

Guppyfighter
06-19-2013, 10:40 PM
His play also cost them. If he converts any of his 7 shots the game is over. He did not. He even said that is on him in his post game interview. I guess Tim is wrong.

I don't care what players have to say about their own play. That's completely irrelevant to me.

If he one less shot in the first half then they'd be in a much worse position to win the game.

That's as irrelevant a what you said. But it's just as likely.

ChitownBears22
06-19-2013, 10:43 PM
I don't care what players have to say about their own play. That's completely irrelevant to me.

If he one less shot in the first half then they'd be in a much worse position to win the game.

That's as irrelevant a what you said. But it's just as likely.

Tim said it himself. He is a better critic on himself than you are of him.

Guppyfighter
06-19-2013, 10:51 PM
Tim said it himself. He is a better critic on himself than you are of him.

If it fits your agenda at the time.

Players have this: http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/hubris

Every player thinks they could have done more. I could give a **** if a player is hard on themselves. If you think what Tim says matters at all, you don't know what you are talking about.

true
06-19-2013, 11:00 PM
If it fits your agenda at the time.

Players have this: http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/hubris

Every player thinks they could have done more. I could give a **** if a player is hard on themselves. If you think what Tim says matters at all, you don't know what you are talking about.

You gotta know when someone has an "agenda" and when to leave it alone.

I don't care if Tim had 0 points for the entire game... They had a chance to win the game with 30 seconds left, and POP screwed it up... Nothing else in the game matters at that point (except other things that were in Pop's control, like not pulling a person with 8 horrible turnovers).

Like you said, anyone with sense will look at the game as a whole... Anyone who would argue that doesn't know much, if anything, about sports.