PDA

View Full Version : Are the Spurs now replicating the Suns teams of 04-'10?

sunsfan88
06-19-2013, 12:38 PM
The Spurs used to be all about their defense. They were a defense first team who werent that good offensively. Their offense was mostly a half court offense which involved just dumping it out to Duncan and watching him score or kick it out to shooters in case of double teams.

They never used to have a fast paced offense with shooters all around.

But then in 2010, the Suns sweep the Spurs 4-0 and the Spurs slowly start changing their philosophy and now here they are 3 years later with a fast paced offensive team who just runs pick and rolls if they get caught in the half court offense....yea sounds exactly the same as the Suns.

The Suns had the PG who was running everywhere facilitating (Nash) just like the Spurs are making Parker do. They had the big man capable of finishing at the rim or knocking down the jumper (Amare) and the Spurs have Duncan for that. They had a beast defender/rebounder who has incredibly athletic (Marion) and the Spurs have Leonard. Suns had Barbosa come off the bench to provide a spark and the Spurs have Ginobili. And then "D and 3" players like Raja Bell just like SAS has Danny Green.

The Suns could never win with their fast paced offense. BUT, the Spurs have the two things the Suns never had....a rim protecting big man and a coach that knew how to make adjustments and wasn't incompetent.

Do you think those two things alone will allow the Spurs to have the success (winning title) that the Suns never had?

seikou8
06-19-2013, 12:43 PM
yes because they should own last night and are in game 7 of nba finals the suns nver made it to the finals/ thread

lakerboy
06-19-2013, 12:43 PM
Please don't compare the Suns to the Spurs. You don't want to hear why.

sunsfan88
06-19-2013, 12:53 PM
I know the Suns never made it to the Finals, exactly why I posted that the Spurs have the two things that PHX always wanted but never had; a rim protector and a good coach.

mightybosstone
06-19-2013, 01:04 PM
Do we really need like half a dozen threads ripping the Spurs after that loss last night? Can we please keep the Spurs bashing within 1-2 threads? Also, this comparison is fairly asinine, because the two teams are fairly different. Phoenix won games by sheer offensive will and outscoring their opponents, while the Spurs are less potent offensively, but clearly have a superior defensive game plan. This team also has a superior coaching staff, veteran leadership and a very different style of offense which is less predicated on the playmaking of one player and more based on good ball movement.

/thread

sunsfan88
06-19-2013, 01:21 PM
How am I bashing the Spurs?

colinskik
06-19-2013, 01:34 PM
Not a very good comparison. Especially because you're implying that the Spurs changed their entire philosophy to mimic the Suns after being defeated by said team.

Chronz
06-19-2013, 01:59 PM
San Antonio has never stopped evolving and it has nothing to do with Phoenix but the talent around them. San Antonio has constructed a team that can play you in a multitude of ways, big or small.

mightybosstone
06-19-2013, 02:12 PM

"Bashing" is probably the wrong word, but I do think it's a tad insulting to compare the Spurs to a Suns team which was had an all-offense, no defense philosophy and never played in an NBA Finals. Those Suns teams were hella entertaining and very good basketball teams. Maybe they would have made it to the Finals in a weaker era or conference, but this Spurs team is a far more complete team, and I just think it's a bad comparison.

king4day
06-19-2013, 02:35 PM

It was a backhanded knock at the Suns if I had to guess.

I wouldn't put them close though. Yes the Spurs are faster but they have a bench that the Suns never had and like you said, a rim protector. Just a well rounded team.

Iron24th
06-19-2013, 02:35 PM
Agree with all the posters above, comparing the Spurs to the suns is disgusting.

still1ballin
06-19-2013, 02:38 PM
lol the suns

iceteawithlemon
06-19-2013, 03:00 PM
But then in 2010, the Suns sweep the Spurs 4-0

I still don't know how the hell that happened. I bet some good money on the Spurs that series and I'm sure many, many, many others did likewise. That series was fixed, everybody made some good money because of that outcome except for gamblers like myself.

BradHolt4CYoung
06-19-2013, 03:31 PM
But the Spurs have actually been playing good defense this series...the job Diaw/Leonard have done on Lebron is the reason Miami hasnt already won the finals.