PDA

View Full Version : Popovich's Coaching Decisions in the 4th

shep33
06-19-2013, 12:26 AM
I love Pop... absolutely love the dude.

That game is 100% on him in my opinion. No foul when up 3. Taking Timmy out... wow. I'm stunned, because I think he got too cute.

IndiansFan337
06-19-2013, 12:29 AM

That game is 100% on him in my opinion. No foul when up 3. Taking Timmy out... wow. I'm stunned, because I think he got too cute.

I don't think he got too cute. He coached the same way he has in the past, it just didn't work this time. Ray Allen bailed out the Heat with that last second 3 in regulation and some FT's down the stretch. San Antonio missed some FT's down the stretch too and that made the difference.

Also note that Duncan failed to score after the 3rd qtr and looked like he was limping after a Heat player (I think it was Wade) fell on his lower leg and looked to twist his knee. I hope that does not hinder Duncan at all in Game 7.

Clippersfan86
06-19-2013, 12:30 AM

Agree he fu**ed up BAD. He had some Vinny Del Negro lineups out there at points late in the game that had me wondering WTF...

bucketss
06-19-2013, 12:33 AM
hes an evil genius lmao

shep33
06-19-2013, 12:35 AM
You can't take your best rebounder out in that situation. I just don't understand it. LeBron bricks a shot, they get it back and get a wide open 3. Next possession, Timmy is out again (Very Hibbert-like), Bosh gets a rebound and hits Ray.

Next why the **** didn't they foul when up 3?

Again love Pop... absolutely love him.

IndiansFan337
06-19-2013, 12:35 AM
Agree he fu**ed up BAD. He had some Vinny Del Negro lineups out there at points late in the game that had me wondering WTF...

I don't blame him one bit for pulling Parker out at the end. He couldn't get good shots over the length of the defenders Miami was throwing at him, and he kept shooting from further away. His last few deep J's were not good shots. They didn't go to Duncan on offense at all in the OT.

Jenceman
06-19-2013, 12:37 AM
I think he outcoached himself with Timmy out. With his length you trust him to be able to rotate

macc
06-19-2013, 12:39 AM
The only thing I'm going to get on Pop about is keeping Ginobli in the game when he's been terrible all year. He's had one good game all playoffs. Not sure what he expected in a close out game. Neal or T-Mac could "easily" of matched Ginobli's production this series. I love G but he's just not the same this year. He's screwed over his team time after time and they keep putting him in, during clutch times.

shep33
06-19-2013, 12:39 AM
The thing is though, it shouldn't have come to that in OT. The game should've been over. Foul when up 3... okay if not, have your best rebounder in the game.

He wanted to switch everything on the perimeter... to me it made no sense because Bosh was still in the game. Tim can guard Bosh, who wasn't even on the perimeter for that offensive rebound.

Buzzkill007
06-19-2013, 12:45 AM

100% on Pops. Great coach, bad game for him.

Left Manu while he was clearly struggling. Driving jumping under the rim throwing the ball to the Heat over and over, and leaving him in the game, thats on Pop. Manu was the Heats 2nd best player in this game.

Taking Duncan out, (twice) and getting burned (twice) didn't you learn from the Pacers series... Leave your big guy in. Its not like Duncan is immobile, he can guard.

Lineup's - if James is shutting down Parker, you need to put in place an offensive scheme to free up Parker. Double screen, screen off the ball, James is a great defender but a proper scheme would have helped, they didn't have one prepared. Spo got his mismatches in the 4th and OT.

That last play.... Not exactly the best personnel or play call. You have 2 of your 5 guys on the floor that really have no threat to hit the 3. Have a 3 threat inbound so he can keep the defender honest, splitter.... Come on.

Pops you are better then this. Bench Manu, no defence, no offence. Force the ball to Duncan he got you 25 in the 1st half, how many touches did he get in the rest of the game....

Jenceman
06-19-2013, 12:45 AM
The thing is though, it shouldn't have come to that in OT. The game should've been over. Foul when up 3... okay if not, have your best rebounder in the game.

He wanted to switch everything on the perimeter... to me it made no sense because Bosh was still in the game. Tim can guard Bosh, who wasn't even on the perimeter for that offensive rebound.

yeah, in my opinion Pop let his own genius get to him. As Laker fans, we know all too well the importance of rebounding in the waning seconds (See Suns 2006, Finals 2010)

lamzoka
06-19-2013, 12:47 AM
The great pop made a huge mistake. vogel made the mistake with hibbert on game 6 vs heat

shep33
06-19-2013, 12:48 AM
Yup. We killed Vogel for it, but Pop made the same mistake twice. Shocking

jezzyman05
06-19-2013, 12:49 AM

We had that game we ****ing had that game....taking Tim Duncan out when up by 3 was ****ing stupid.....and the most important stat of the game was the 8****ing turnovers that Manu had all resulting in Heat points.....Manu may had costed us another title like he did in 2006.....I can't believe it and when we got the rebound the with 10 seconds left in overtime Manu calls no timeout and instead tries to drive to the hoops knowing he had a crappy game......I'm speechless right now

shep33
06-19-2013, 12:52 AM
We had that game we ****ing had that game....taking Tim Duncan out when up by 3 was ****ing stupid.....and the most important stat of the game was the 8****ing turnovers that Manu had all resulting in Heat points.....Manu may had costed us another title like he did in 2006.....I can't believe it and when we got the rebound the with 10 seconds left in overtime Manu calls no timeout and instead tries to drive to the hoops knowing he had a crappy game......I'm speechless right now

Honestly, I can see why Manu was still in the game. He just played a heck of a Game 5, and we all know Pop trusts him.

Sadly he was awful tonight again. But again, it shouldn't have come to overtime. Taking Tim out of the game twice was absolutely shocking. Two offensive rebounds leading to 3's.

bathroom_man
06-19-2013, 12:53 AM
The spurs choke 3x in this game. Blow 13 pt, blow 10 pt & 5 pt lead. If it wasnt for splitter 2 lucky baskets beginning of 4th, miami would had a blowout

koreancabbage
06-19-2013, 12:57 AM
How about Spo's coaching decision? ugh

they ended up winning but momentum was with Lebron and his plethora of shooters in Mike Miller and Allen and Chalmers.

Teeboy1487
06-19-2013, 01:02 AM
I thought I've never see the day Pop make dumb coaching decisions in a championship game.

shep33
06-19-2013, 01:06 AM
He made some costly errors. It's the most shocking aspect of this game for me.

kobe4thewinbang
06-19-2013, 01:12 AM
He made some costly errors. It's the most shocking aspect of this game for me.Wow, I can't believe what transpired tonight. Crazy outcome. You gotta have a big man on the floor, just gotta. If LeBron hits that 3, you live with it. But you don't give a 3 to Ray Allen. So much for taking Duncan out to "guard" the 3.

I really hope the Spurs can wise up and win Game 7. But now Miami has all the momentum and that crowd is going to be nuts.

I just hope they don't get blown out...

IversonIsKrazy
06-19-2013, 01:57 AM
Not to mention is ultra-love for Manu. Gino should not have been in the game late. He was a walking turnover.

shep33
06-19-2013, 02:06 AM
Manu was horrible again. 9 points, 8 turnovers? Pop should've went with Neal a bit more, I agree, but after Manu played a great game 5, I kinda don't blame him for having that trust.

I'm sorry but up 4, then up 3, and having those personnel mistakes and not fouling... just doesn't make sense. Some silly rotations

MyDRoseLikeDeng
06-19-2013, 02:49 AM
I love Pop too but hes been pretty bad this series in games the spurs have lost. Game 4 he was bad in the late 3rd and into the fourth. Needs to realize if Manu isnt cutting it, you have a great shooter/scorer in Gary Neal on the bench who isnt afraid of the moment either

OceanSpray
06-19-2013, 02:53 AM
C'mon, guys. Spo made more mistakes. He puts Wade in and destroyed Miami's rhythm. Make no mistake, Duncan should've been playing. However, Ray Allen just hit a clutch shot. I don't think you could ask for more from Pop. He's answered Miami in more than one way. He stuck to his gut and Manu came big for Spurs in game 5. If Spurs lose, it's not because of Pop -ever. He's far and away the best coach.

shep33
06-19-2013, 02:56 AM
C'mon, guys. Spo made more mistakes. He puts Wade in and destroyed Miami's rhythm. Make no mistake, Duncan should've been playing. However, Ray Allen just hit a clutch shot. I don't think you could ask for more from Pop. He's answered Miami in more than one way. He stuck to his gut and Manu came big for Spurs in game 5. If Spurs lose, it's not because of Pop -ever. He's far and away the best coach.

Difference was the Spurs had this game won. They were the 2013 NBA champions had it none been for Popovich's mistakes in the last 28 seconds.

OceanSpray
06-19-2013, 03:04 AM
Difference was the Spurs had this game won. They were the 2013 NBA champions had it none been for Popovich's mistakes in the last 28 seconds.

But, how exactly can you predict this? Sorry, but blaming it on Pop is a misconception and subjective. Miami Heat fans were irate when Spo brought Wade in. Not sure what the time was but Wade settled for a jump shot with Miami up 1 when James was 5-6 in the fourth. Seriously, you can look at it from both angles. Fact is, Ray Allen hit a clutch three that may or may not happen if or if not Duncan is there.

shep33
06-19-2013, 03:23 AM
But, how exactly can you predict this? Sorry, but blaming it on Pop is a misconception and subjective. Miami Heat fans were irate when Spo brought Wade in. Not sure what the time was but Wade settled for a jump shot with Miami up 1 when James was 5-6 in the fourth. Seriously, you can look at it from both angles. Fact is, Ray Allen hit a clutch three that may or may not happen if or if not Duncan is there.

I picked Miami in this series. Without question for 47.5 minutes the Spurs were the better team.

The difference is Pop is one of the greatest coaches of all-time. To make 3 blatant blunders in the final 30 seconds is amazing. Taking out your best rebounder while Miami still has Bosh in at the 5 just makes no sense. Doing it a second time makes less sense. Not fouling when up 3 was the cherry on top.

We're talking about one of the best coaches in NBA history vs. Spo. The Spurs should have been the NBA champions, Miami didn't even take it from them, they threw it away in those final 30 seconds. Great shot by Ray, but I'm sorry, it shouldn't have even come to that.

Again, I picked the Heat to win this series. That was a flat out choke job, and a bad one at that.

69centers
06-19-2013, 08:19 AM
You have to have your best defensive players on the floor late in the 4th, and on the other team's final posessions. You just have to. Duncan should have been out there. No exceptions. Does anyone know what Pop's reasoning was for not having him out there?

However, there were two bogus calls that completely changed the 4th quarter. The play where Duncan was nearly pushed out of bounds but no foul was called and then Lebron charged down the floor into 3 Spurs players, where not one of them made any contact with him, yet a foul was called. That was the immediate turn in the game.

jezzyman05
06-19-2013, 08:44 AM
You have to have your best defensive players on the floor late in the 4th, and on the other team's final posessions. You just have to. Duncan should have been out there. No exceptions. Does anyone know what Pop's reasoning was for not having him out there?

However, there were two bogus calls that completely changed the 4th quarter. The play where Duncan was nearly pushed out of bounds but no foul was called and then Lebron charged down the floor into 3 Spurs players, where not one of them made any contact with him, yet a foul was called. That was the immediate turn in the game.

NO the 8 ****ing turnovers by Ginobili all at crucial parts of the game all resulting in 15 heat points....you can say what you want about the heat and the Allen shot but Ginobili costed us that game plain a spud simple.

ewing
06-19-2013, 08:50 AM

If you foul and the Heat hit 2 you are now in a position where you better hit your 2 free throws or the Heat have a chance to win even if you hit both free throws you are are giving the heat a second possession down 3. There is no reason for the Spurs to lengthen the game by fouling in that situation. Without the foul the heat have one possession and can only tie the game. With the foul they will get multiple possessions and could potentially win in regulation

SoFreshNsoClean
06-19-2013, 09:13 AM
If George Karl was in Pops position he would get zero heat and people would say hes a GOAT coach so it doesn't matter.

So glad Karl is off the Nuggets

Hangtime
06-19-2013, 12:37 PM

There were non calls on both sides. What about the non call on Duncan when he slammed Bosh to the floor so Manu could get that wide open layup.

IversonIsKrazy
06-19-2013, 03:55 PM
I loved how he stuck to his gut in Game 5, but he did it early and started him. He did the same for G6 and loved it, what I didnt like was that Manu was clearly not playing well, he should have NOT been in the game during those last minutes after we just gave up our lead and our offense was struggling. Not to mention taking off Duncan so Bosh can get 2 offensive rebounds in the last minute leading to a game-tying 3.....

ChicagoJ
06-19-2013, 05:19 PM
I remember thinking to myself if thibs was coaching Manu would have benched for sure. Not sure why pops left him in. And leaving Duncan out while giving ip two critical offensive boards, that was the game. So yea, some questionable coaching decisions.

kenzo400
06-19-2013, 05:45 PM
I bet Pop thought about fouling. The problem is that they had Leonard and another young player on the floor (and Duncan isn't the greatest free throw shooter) He would have been taking big risk fouling.

Bruno
06-19-2013, 06:05 PM
you don't take Duncan out. they gave up two crucial offensive rebounds once he was off the floor (just like Indiana and Hibbert), which lead to a three by james, and a three by allen.

pop is brilliant but he made a huge mistake, period. he got too tricky and shot hit team in the foot. game six loss is on him, and the Manu/Leonard missed free throws in the final minute of regulation.

Spurs had the championship, the trophy was literally rolled out onto the floor. I don't know how many more gifts Miami could possibly get this post-season; and I can't believe Pop is the one to give them the biggest one. SAS should be champions, but Miami in seven (called Miami in seven before the series).

this will go down as a major blunder on his part.

ManRam
06-19-2013, 06:19 PM
I can't get myself to question Pops.

I'll say this though: the guy is smarter than all of us, but no coach pulls the right strings 100% of the time. Maybe he made some wrong moves, but we'll never know and it's not much of an indictment on him. It happens.

odiz
06-19-2013, 06:20 PM

Im not completely sure but by my memory the Spurs were out of timeouts at that point.

odiz
06-19-2013, 06:26 PM

Definitely agree with Wade ruining the rhythm. When Wade is in the game Lebron becomes timid and too unselfish. A few posessions down the stretch there Lebron didnt even touch the ball and Wade went one and one and settled for bad fadeaway shots. Lebron was on a roll they needed to feed him every possession and see if he could create a shot. If theres nothing there fine. THEN you can kick it out but to have Lebron not even touch the ball on critical possessions down the stretch is ridiculous. Honestly i think they are better right now with Lebron/Bosh/Andersen and two shooters.

Swift Game
06-19-2013, 07:08 PM
This loss is completely on Greg Popovich no doubt in my mind. I did not think pop was capable of being responsible for a loss.

Leaving Parker on the bench with a 10 point lead in the 4th Quarter with like 8 minutes left was the 1st big mistake. Then on 2 critical possessions with the game on the line taking out Tim Duncan the best rebounder on the team out was inexcusable to cover the 3 point shooters. Those 2 possessions coincidentally turned into 2 Offensive rebounds and converted to 3 pointers... monumental mistake...this lost the game for them..

In addition to Parker/Leonard/Ginobli missing free throws that also would have sealed the game. Then Kawai not taking a timeout with 7 seconds left in OT with Parker on the bench...They had one time out left to draw up a play, an that goes on pop as well because he should have prepped the rebounder to take the time out. 5 point lead with 30 seconds left was also unbelievable.

Miami stuck in there and won the game due to the mistakes. Even if Miami wins game 7 to me this does not show me anything new about Lebron...He did make the one three on the 2nd attempt, but prior to that 3 turnovers ( Danny Green ) with under 2 minutes left and missed countless huge shots that would have turned the tide for Miami.

Game 7 clearly favors Miami and I am not sure if Duncan and Parker can recover fast enough for this one. I still cannot believe the Spurs did not close this one out..I though it was over in the 4th.

I agree with him trying to get cute and over coach. stick with your horses and they will get you to the end of the finish line.

true
06-19-2013, 09:52 PM
Pop coaching Blunders:
=================

-Not yanking Ginobli from the game in the first half

-Sitting Duncan AND Parker in the 4th quarter when they were up 10 (need at least one on the court at all times)

-Taking Duncan out twice in the final 30 seconds

-Taking Parker out in overtime (and letting Ginobli bring the ball up the court)

-Not calling time out to draw up a play for final play in OT

-Putting in Splitter and Duncan for the final 3point attempt (seriously?)

-The most underrated yet conspicuous gaffe: Taking Duncan out of the game in Free Throw crunch time (I assumed because he's a "poor" FT shooter)... Yet, Duncan has a higher FT% in the post season than Lenard.... Yet, he left lenard in, and he missed a crucial free throw.... At this point, he should have had Duncan and his 4 BEST FT shooters in... Period.

*possible: Not fouling and letting Ray Allen tie the game with the 3 (this simply comes down to coaching philosophy... so really can't hold this against him)

Bro's.... I don't engage in hyperbole loosely.... But when you look at what I just typed.... And how some things directly contrast each other (you take Duncan out in regulation, but put in Splitter / Duncan when you NEED a 3.... having all 5 3point shooters didn't cross his mind?)

When you digest everything.... 1 of 2 things is going on:

1) Pop Had the worst coaching performance of any coach, in any sport, at any level, in coaching HISTORY (considering the stakes)

or

2) The mob has tabs on him... And he tried his BEST to throw the game.... (don't say it's not possible after Tim Donaghy... ANYTHING is possible)

You decide what went down...

true
06-19-2013, 09:54 PM
Guys remember...

Doris Burke: Pop, what is the issue on offense?

Pop: Turnovers

Doris: And defense?

Pop: Turnovers

Now suddenly, with the championship on the line, he leaves in a guy who ended the game with more turnovers than the ENTIRE TEAM??? (Spurs 5, Manu 8)...

He all of a sudden, forgot his own "turnover" philosophy??

Guuuuyyyssss.......... Something doesn't smell right...

Bruno
06-19-2013, 10:01 PM
has phil jackson ever outsmarted himself and put his team in a position to fail late in a championship game? Not trolling, just asking any older fans if they recall because I don't remember that ever happening.

true
06-19-2013, 10:11 PM
has phil jackson ever outsmarted himself and put his team in a position to fail late in a championship game? Not trolling, just asking any older fans if they recall because I don't remember that ever happening.

Seriously, nothing like this has ever happened in NBA history....

The ONLY reason people are calling this "the best game they've ever seen" (or one of them), is because of the MISTAKES Pop made...

Just let that soak in.... The MISTAKES, made by a coach, made the game HISTORIC....

If Pop doesn't throw this game... There is no Ray Allen 3... There is no overtime... There is none of that....

Pop MADE THIS one of the 3 best games in NBA history (as Magic Johnson would tell it), so therefore, no there was never another choke this big.... Ever. By Phil Jackson or anyone else.

kenzo400
06-20-2013, 01:10 PM
If Pop did the opposite of what actually happened you would all be saying "it's his fault" Sometimes, **** just happens. Ginobili has been huge in big moments like this in history and that is what you go by. Not how well he played in a quarter.

true
06-20-2013, 03:23 PM
If Pop did the opposite of what actually happened you would all be saying "it's his fault" Sometimes, **** just happens. Ginobili has been huge in big moments like this in history and that is what you go by. Not how well he played in a quarter.

Nope. Not at all.

I thought he should have took Ginobli out in the 1st quarter, maybe 2nd. Hindsight is 20/20, but I didn't need it to know Pop was coaching the worst game ever.

Swift Game
06-20-2013, 03:45 PM
I just thought about this as well. If Miami goes on and wins the game 6 loss will not only be the worst loss in finals history, it could be the worst loss in all of sports for a deciding game to win a title.

Pop deserves all the credit for his tenure so far, but that game 6 loss will stick to his legacy..

Swift Game
06-20-2013, 03:48 PM
I don't think Duncan / Parker/ Ginobli and Pop want this potential finals loss to linger and impact their successful careers.

they better win tonight.

true
06-20-2013, 03:49 PM
I just thought about this as well. If Miami goes on and wins the game 6 loss will not only be the worst loss in finals history, it could be the worst loss in all of sports for a deciding game to win a title.

Pop deserves all the credit for his tenure so far, but that game 6 loss will stick to his legacy..

All the HORRIBLE decisions he made, in a sick way, just makes you feel its not even possible... Makes you feel the game was fixed (on Pop's part).

Listen, I'm a 28 year old sports fan... I do writing for a living.... I haven't coached for 30 years in the NBA and won championships....

IF I WAS COACHING THE SPURS IN GAME 6, they would be world champions RIGHT NOW.... Just think about it... 1,0000%, they would be world champions....

Is it possible, for a coach with his experience, to not win that game if I (and millions of others) would have?

I think something will come out in 10 years from now about this being an inside job.... It just defies all logic... "If something is TOO BAD to be true, it probably is"...

We'll know in 10 years what really went down.

true
06-20-2013, 03:50 PM
Here is a post someone made on Yahoo that just makes you really think and wonder:
================================================== =============

Thank you thank you thank you for posting this . I thought I was the only one not watching planet Bizarro through my tv screen. My brother's response was "the other fighter was about to be knocked out when the winning fighter's manager threw in the towel." Describes it perfectly. There's absolutely no precedent whatsoever for taking a top 20 all time greatest player having one of the great games of his storied career out of the ga.me in the final 2 possessions. Not only is Pops not that dumb, no fan of the game, in fact no NON_fan of the game would be so imbecelic. You ride that horse to the last stop. And when did the words ' " the more agile Boris Diaw" ever get used together in the same sentence before in history? This was sickening. I woke up this morning hoping it was a bad dream, and realized it really happened and got sick all over again. The entire sports watching world got robbed and I don'[t even care anymore if the Spurs win it all, which they won't... I predict Miami in a 20-+ blow-out route. Lebron crowned king of all cheaters for all time... calling Ralph, long distance... blleccchhhh !!!

Swift Game
06-20-2013, 04:04 PM
Yeah, Im not a Spurs fan, but I have to be honest.

After the loss I felt down like when the Lakers lost to Boston a few years ago. Really weird.

The game was over and then the craziness. Spursfans must be livid , I know I was.

true
06-20-2013, 04:14 PM
And when I start talking conspiracies, it's not just Pop's horrible coaching.... It's decisions he made, that conflicts with other logical decisions...

Heres an example:

1) He left Tim and Parker on the bench to start the 4th quarter, when Miami took the lead down to 1...

THIS IN ITSELF, IS A HORRIBLE, TERRIBLE, TERRIBLE coaching move, that could've lost the game, JUST IN ITSELF, this one decision....

2) BUT, on top of that.... He leaves a guy in the game, that at this point has to have more turnovers than the entire team (spurs ended with 5, Manu 8)....

So Horrible decision #2, is a direct contrast to horrible decision #1.

This is the type of **** that makes people start talking fixed games..... Its just IMPOSSIBLE! for ANY COACH to be this lousy in the BIGGEST GAME of his career....

true
06-20-2013, 04:16 PM
I'im gonna say this....

If Pop comes out and coaches a MASTERFUL game, all of this is forgotten... I and several others have said, the first thing he should've done is APOLOGIZE to his players... Humble himself and apologize... then ask them to PLEASE save his *** in game 7, otherwise his legacy is tainted.... He should say "Do this one for daddy"

If they don't win this f*ckin game..... The reprecussions are going to be felt for a long time for a lot of NBA fans...

Somebody is going to have to answer for the horsesh*t we saw

ewing
06-20-2013, 05:51 PM
you don't take Duncan out. they gave up two crucial offensive rebounds once he was off the floor (just like Indiana and Hibbert), which lead to a three by james, and a three by allen.

pop is brilliant but he made a huge mistake, period. he got too tricky and shot hit team in the foot. game six loss is on him, and the Manu/Leonard missed free throws in the final minute of regulation.

Spurs had the championship, the trophy was literally rolled out onto the floor. I don't know how many more gifts Miami could possibly get this post-season; and I can't believe Pop is the one to give them the biggest one. SAS should be champions, but Miami in seven (called Miami in seven before the series).

this will go down as a major blunder on his part.

The Spurs players lost the game by missing free throws. If the Heat got a gift Manu and Leonard gave it