PDA

View Full Version : Report: Alex Len ‘likely’ choice for Cavaliers at No. 1

spreadeagle
06-18-2013, 01:18 AM
Good pick? good fit? think they will pick him?
This is the time of year when teams and agents create smokescreens so thick, firefighters can’t get through them. So, approach any report like this with a healthy dose of skepticism. But also consider that a beat writer for a major newspaper was confident enough to report it.

@JimmySmith504 Jimmy Smith of the New Orleans Times-Picayune: Pelicans writer for Times-Picayune/NOLA.com. Since 1973 have covered Jazz, Hornets, Saints, Olympic Games, Super Bowls, Final Fours, NBA Finals, All-Star Games.

Hearing that C Alex Len, who visited with #Pelicans on Friday, is now the likely choice for #Cavs at No. 1 spot in next week's draft.

Who might want the world to believe Len will go No. 1? Well, Len and his agent. Of course, what they want and the truth could coincide.

The Cavaliers probably don’t have as much incentive to leak their leaning until they’re certain of their choice, unless they’re just trying to convince other teams to trade for the pick. If Len is the bait Cleveland is dangling to persuade teams to trade up, that’s fairly surprising. I’d figure other teams would be much more likely to move up if they believed Nerlens Noel, Ben McLemore or Otto Porter wouldn’t be available lower.

Len is a good athlete with good size, and he’s pretty skilled, even if still a bit unrefined. He also had surgery in early May and can’t work out for teams, so I’m not sure why his stock has risen so rapidly since. To me, it seems like teams are too swayed by the flaws they see in players who can work out as Len holds steady without having to prove himself. The very-credible Jonathan Givony of DraftExpress has Len atop his draft board, though, so it’s tough to argue Len would be a total reach at No. 1.

The NBA Draft is 10 days away, and we often know the No. 1 pick by this point. Maybe this year it remains a mystery until Cleveland (or another team) actually makes the pick, but we could know much sooner whether Smith is on the right track.

http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/06/17/report-alex-len-likely-choice-for-cavaliers-at-no-1/

VCaintdead17
06-18-2013, 01:53 AM
It's clear Cleveland has no idea what the **** to do with this pick

NYMetros
06-18-2013, 01:57 AM
WHAT?!?!!

I watched probably 7 or 8 Maryland games this year, and Len did not impress me at all. Talk about a project. I thought he had bust written all over him as the 10th pick in the draft. But 1st?? Wow. it's clear this draft is just completely horrible if Len is gonna be the 1st pick.

Jtirado16
06-18-2013, 01:58 AM
I guess Lebron took Cleveland's brain with him to South Beach... This guy isn't good. He's overrated.. His numbers are only good because he didn't have to play any tough people... They would be making a huge mistake if they pick him

JEDean89
06-18-2013, 02:10 AM
hmm they drafted thompson over valanciunas in 2011, waiters over drummond in 2012 and are gonna draft Len over Noel, Mclemore or Oladipo in 2013? They could have had such a money team but they messed up their draft pretty bad, i don't see Len as ever being an Allstar.

GunFactor187
06-18-2013, 02:15 AM
Can't you all see? They're deliberately sucking so next draft the NBA will give them the #1 pick again and they could get Wiggins? If this was Twitter I'd finish with: #What'sThereNotToLike? :p

FriedTofuz
06-18-2013, 02:26 AM
Can't you all see? They're deliberately sucking so next draft the NBA will give them the #1 pick again and they could get Wiggins? If this was Twitter I'd finish with: #What'sThereNotToLike? :p

you gotta admit, there's no team in the nba who deserves wiggins more than the raptors. and Wiggins deserves to play for the raptors. Cleveland is the biggest piss off of the nba, they tank too hard and get rewarded

WITZ
06-18-2013, 02:33 AM
Yeah the Pelicans beat writer knows what the cavs are doing with the 1st pick :laugh2: Len hasn't even visited the cavs yet

Raps08-09 Champ
06-18-2013, 02:36 AM
LOLOLOL if true.

2011-Thompson 4th overall
2012-Waiters 4th overall
2013-Len (?) 1st overall

Talk about a bunch of reaches. There were better players at that point in the draft.

marvILLous
06-18-2013, 03:29 AM
He is sooooo soft

dalton749
06-18-2013, 03:45 AM
if this happens somebody needs to be fired.
they could have had a likely star big in the last 2 drafts with valanciunas, and then drummond(but most didnt see this coming)
kyrie with val would have been more likely, and would have been a great future considering they would have ended last season with a worse record because he was in europe, giving them a shot a AD last year, then who knows this year

Vinny642
06-18-2013, 04:25 AM
NBA Draft.net has Len going first as well though, so it isnt just Jimmy Smith's opinion

STRIKERC
06-18-2013, 09:40 AM
I guess Lebron took Cleveland's brain with him to South Beach... This guy isn't good. He's overrated.. His numbers are only good because he didn't have to play any tough people... They would be making a huge mistake if they pick him
He didn't play any tough people???
Dude, they played Duke and Kentucky during the season. He matched up against two of the top bigs in this draft and dominated them on both ends of the floor despite Maryland's mediocre point guard play.
Len is underrated if anything. He will be way better in the NBA where he'll play with better PG's.

Minimal
06-18-2013, 10:04 AM
He seems to be a copy of Jonas Valanciunas

Gators123
06-18-2013, 10:07 AM
:laugh2:

Muttman73
06-18-2013, 10:13 AM
smoke screen

2-ONE-5
06-18-2013, 10:48 AM
there really is no #1 pick in this draft, hell there is no #5 pick in this draft. Im not a Len fan but i would take him over Noel.

SugeKnight
06-18-2013, 10:53 AM
Package the pick with Thompson and another future pick for Love.

Irving
Waiters
Lebron
Love
Varejao

HouRealCoach
06-18-2013, 11:40 AM
Some of you guys think that Jonas Valancuinas should have been picked over Tristan Thompson?

& I think they should get McLemore

RipCity32
06-18-2013, 11:44 AM
Some of you guys think that Jonas Valancuinas should have been picked over Tristan Thompson?

& I think they should get McLemore

You don't think Valanciunas is better than Thompson?

FlakeyFool
06-18-2013, 11:49 AM

Cause hes white and tall?

Jonas >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Len

Minimal
06-18-2013, 12:00 PM
Cause hes white and tall?

Jonas >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Len
I'm not saying he is better than Val, Val is gonna be one of the best big men in the league.
They have similar body types, long arms. His facial features are similar to JV's. Checked his playing style. His movements are similar too. Val is probably just more skilled in the post.

KnickaBocka.44
06-18-2013, 12:04 PM
I dont buy it.

RipCity32
06-18-2013, 12:12 PM
If they really wanted Len than they should have just kept quiet.They could have trade back a few spots and got more pieces and still drafted him.

PleaseBeNice
06-18-2013, 12:18 PM
:laugh2:
Whats so funny? You know better?

Sadds The Gr8
06-18-2013, 12:22 PM
Koffing, use SMOKESCREEN ATTACK!

UPRock
06-18-2013, 12:52 PM
koffing, use smokescreen attack!

lmfao

UPRock
06-18-2013, 12:52 PM
koffing, use smokescreen attack!

lmfao

Utd7
06-18-2013, 12:58 PM
I hope for their sake this is only a smokescreen because this selection would set the franchise back.

todu82
06-18-2013, 01:00 PM
If Cleveland makes Len their 1st pick then the team will take a step back. I know this draft class is weak but not weak enough for Alex Len to be the #1 pick.

waveycrockett
06-18-2013, 01:15 PM
Wow they are really passing on Noel they are crazy

2-ONE-5
06-18-2013, 01:30 PM
Noel stinks. I would much rather have Len. Neither are worthy of being drafted this high tho

HuRRiCaNeS324
06-18-2013, 01:41 PM
That would be one of the boldest decisions in NBA Draft history.

Gators123
06-18-2013, 01:43 PM
Whats so funny? You know better?

Well first off, look at their last couple of drafts. They reached for role players.

And Len most likely wouldn't be a top 3 pick anyways. Maybe not even top 5. So why they hell would the pick him with the #1 pick? If they liked him that much they could trade back.

WITZ
06-18-2013, 01:49 PM
Well first off, look at their last couple of drafts. They reached for role players.

And Len most likely wouldn't be a top 3 pick anyways. Maybe not even top 5. So why they hell would the pick him with the #1 pick? If they liked him that much they could trade back.

Oh your crystal ball tells you who will be role players after 1 & 2 seasons. Bet if the Pistons had drafted Thompson at Pick 5 like they were planning too you wouldn't be saying that.

abe_froman
06-18-2013, 01:50 PM

no,he's def a top 5 pick,has been project to go in the to 5 for some time now(as well as top 5 big boards).not saying he should be number 1,but in this draft its not that much of reach

Gators123
06-18-2013, 01:58 PM
Oh your crystal ball tells you who will be role players after 1 & 2 seasons. Bet if the Pistons had drafted Thompson at Pick 5 like they were planning too you wouldn't be saying that.

Only because they thought Cleveland would take Val with the 4th pick. The Pistons NEEDED a big at the time.

Here's an interesting story told by an insider involved with one of the teams. In 2011, most everyone in the league thought the Cavs were leaning toward Lithuanian center Valanciunas with the No. 4 pick.

That included two teams behind the Cavs: Toronto at 5 and Detroit at 8. So much so, the teams had arranged a trade after they figured the 7-footer would go to the Cavs.

A source said the Pistons were going to trade the eighth pick and guard Ben Gordon to the Raptors for Toronto's No. 5 pick and guard Jose Calderon.

Do you think the Cavs would still take Thompson over Val now?

Gators123
06-18-2013, 02:05 PM
no,he's def a top 5 pick,has been project to go in the to 5 for some time now(as well as top 5 big boards).not saying he should be number 1,but in this draft its not that much of reach

For what its worth, Chad Ford has him going 6th and Draftexpress has him going 4th. Both mock drafts were updated today. Its close.

WITZ
06-18-2013, 02:14 PM
Only because they thought Cleveland would take Val with the 4th pick. The Pistons NEEDED a big at the time.

I think they would take Thompson again, Rumors Spread that Vals agent didn't like how they handled Big Z playing in the Olympics years back and since Val was also from Lithuania they were playing hard ball. I personally was pretty upset at the time but after watching the improvements Thompson has made and how he is a real hard worker constantly in the gym looking to improve. I can say today i am happy with the way it worked out and im sure Raptor fans are as well.

ElChinoLatino
06-18-2013, 03:20 PM

LOLolololl :laugh::laugh:

RipCity32
06-18-2013, 04:24 PM

He's projected to go top5 mostly because he can't workout and can't hurt his draft stock like some of the other guys are doing.He wasn't even really projected in the top ten just a couple of weeks ago.

ChitownBears22
06-18-2013, 04:28 PM
I am in the minority, but I was with Drummond as well last year. But I like Len a lot. Big centers are hard to find, at least ones that can walk and chew gum at the same time. Role players can be found in FA.

c.c.
06-18-2013, 04:33 PM
Him and Tyler Zeller game are very much similar

KnickaBocka.44
06-18-2013, 04:38 PM

What are you talking about? The last two years they have wound up with 2 players each from the draft and both times one made the All-Rookie first team and the other made the second team.

KnickaBocka.44
06-18-2013, 04:40 PM

They have pretty similar per 36 minute numbers so it's a toss up.

Manimal
06-18-2013, 06:54 PM
I like Len, it would be a bold move but would eventually be a rewarding one.

I like all Cavaliers picks in the last couple of drafts apart from Zeller.

BKLYNpigeon
06-18-2013, 07:41 PM
who cares, no one really knows how these rookies will pan out in the NBA anyway.

MrfadeawayJB
06-18-2013, 08:55 PM
He weighs like 150 and lacks athleticism. He had length but that won't matter when he's posted up so deep he's under the rim lol

NYMetros
06-18-2013, 09:01 PM
smoke screen

I hope for their sake this is only a smokescreen because this selection would set the franchise back.

lol who are they trying to "smoke screen"? they have the 1st pick, they don't have to try to fool anybody.

RipCity32
06-18-2013, 09:09 PM
lol who are they trying to "smoke screen"? they have the 1st pick, they don't have to try to fool anybody.

Because they are trying to trade the pick.They are continuously throwing out everyone's name hoping someone's real high on that player and will make a trade.

marvILLous
06-19-2013, 12:17 AM
Why would you use alex len as a smokescreen? Pretty sure teams aren't dying to trade up to get him lol

spreadeagle
06-19-2013, 12:28 AM
The Cleveland Cavaliers have yet to make a decision on who to select with the first overall pick.

Nerlens Noel is the favorite and he will meet with the Cavaliers on Thursday.

Alex Len is the most likely alternative option, according to sources. Len would give the Cavaliers size, defensive ability and is less raw as a prospect than Noel. -Chad Ford

IndiansFan337
06-19-2013, 12:33 AM
I sure hope he's not the pick. I'd prefer McLemore or Porter, even if they are redundant with Waiters. I expect those two to be the best players from this draft class and to have to least "bust" potential among the top picks. I don't believe in Noel due to his thin frame and lack of strength. Len wasn't dominant in college, so I am not super enthusiastic about him if it were at #1.

Sadds The Gr8
06-19-2013, 12:49 AM

if it wasn't reported 1000 times that they were looking to trade the pick, you'd be right.

Nick O
06-19-2013, 12:52 AM

his numbers arent even that good....

LayBraun
06-19-2013, 05:30 AM
Really poor drafting by Clevands part outside of Irving. Terrible FO.

OceanSpray
06-19-2013, 05:35 AM
Can't blame Cavs. Anyone on this draft can end up being 1-5. At least they're trying to build around Kyrie ^^

Manimal
06-19-2013, 10:12 AM
He's a better prospect than Noel. He's very good defensively and has moves on the block. Pretty athletic. Protects the rim without fouling. I like how he defends pick and roll. Also got a nice jumper from mid range and good bank shot. Great in passing from the post.

He's "middle class" man's Tim Duncan at best and at worst he's a Brook Lopez who can play defense and crash the boards.

Noel's best case scenario is Marcus Camby.

You don't need Ben McLemore when you already have Kyrie and Dion Waiter, two scorers. Wouldn't you rather trade for Tayshaun Prince (a future first + an expiring contract) rather than use your first pick on Otto Porter.

KnickaBocka.44
06-19-2013, 01:23 PM
Really poor drafting by Clevands part outside of Irving. Terrible FO.

false, look at the last 2 years.

kenzo400
06-19-2013, 03:35 PM

Uhhhhhh... i'm speechless.

kenzo400
06-19-2013, 03:39 PM
He's a better prospect than Noel. He's very good defensively and has moves on the block. Pretty athletic. Protects the rim without fouling. I like how he defends pick and roll. Also got a nice jumper from mid range and good bank shot. Great in passing from the post.

He's "middle class" man's Tim Duncan at best and at worst he's a Brook Lopez who can play defense and crash the boards.

Noel's best case scenario is Marcus Camby.

You don't need Ben McLemore when you already have Kyrie and Dion Waiter, two scorers. Wouldn't you rather trade for Tayshaun Prince (a future first + an expiring contract) rather than use your first pick on Otto Porter.

It would be better for them to trade Waiters. The guy has amazing potential but we both know that he will just become an inefficient scorer.

Arch Stanton
06-19-2013, 04:23 PM
I don't know if it's been mentioned. Ideally, Cleveland would like the trade the pick for additional assets. You could probably make the case for 1 of 7 players (Len, Noel, Bennett, Oladipo, McLemore, Porter, McCollum) going 1st in this years draft. So taking Len #1 isn't that much of a reach. They all have flaws and no one stands out as the top guy. We probably won't know for a year or two who the best player was from this class.

DreamShaker
06-19-2013, 04:42 PM
I don't know if it's been mentioned. Ideally, Cleveland would like the trade the pick for additional assets. You could probably make the case for 1 of 7 players (Len, Noel, Bennett, Oladipo, McLemore, Porter, McCollum) going 1st in this years draft. So taking Len #1 isn't that much of a reach. They all have flaws and no one stands out as the top guy. We probably won't know for a year or two who the best player was from this class.

Very true. It has been tough, as well, due to both Len and Noel being injured during the pre-draft evaluation process.

ChongInc.
06-20-2013, 12:27 AM
This was either leaked by the cavs to see what the reaction would be, or they actually think he'll be a contributing C eventually. They need to get either a C or a SF out of this draft.

Arch Stanton
06-20-2013, 12:36 AM
This was either leaked by the cavs to see what the reaction would be, or they actually think he'll be a contributing C eventually. They need to get either a C or a SF out of this draft.

The Cavs have been linked to lots of players. I think they're looking at the total spectrum in case they trade out, which is unlikely. If Noel's medicals check out I still see him as the guy they pick.

shep33
06-20-2013, 12:55 AM
Reach, just like Waiters last year... if they actually take him. Which I don't think will happen

Arch Stanton
06-20-2013, 01:17 AM
Reach, just like Waiters last year... if they actually take him. Which I don't think will happen

How was Waiters a reach?
How will Len be a reach?

WITZ
06-20-2013, 02:36 AM
How was Waiters a reach?
How will Len be a reach?

All rookie 1st team definitely a reach :laugh2:

Lake_Show2416
06-20-2013, 02:53 AM
How was Waiters a reach?
How will Len be a reach?

Len would b a reach, seems kinda soft to me, Cavs should draft Noel that would help them tank due to his injury & get a high pick in a really deep draft next year, could make a really good up & up team

ottograham14
06-20-2013, 11:14 AM
Len would b a reach, seems kinda soft to me, Cavs should draft Noel that would help them tank due to his injury & get a high pick in a really deep draft next year, could make a really good up & up team

Team wants to compete this year which in all honesty they probably could still IMO if they select Noel if KI, Andy, and Dion are all fully healthy for at least 80% of the year. The team has already come out and said that this is year 3 since they were able to obtain KI in their building process and it is time to make the playoffs. If they don't contend this year and have a top 5 pick next year then Chris Grant will be gone. Also the Draft is just a part of thier offseason process from which they keep saying. The team is going to be active in Trade discussions with the large amount of cap they have, will be active in FA if a player they believe is a game changer is out there (outside of DH and CP).

Following the Cavs religiously I still believe that Noel is the pick at this time unless they are able to move out of the pick which is still a large possibility or if Noel's medicals just don't check out today as he is visiting the team today. Len seems more like a trade back option that they are high on but would much rather take him in a trade back scenario rather than #1 overall.

It will probably come down to Noel or Len though and if Len is the #1 pick that tells me two things, 1) Noel's medicals didn't check out and Len's did and 2) the team could not get the value they were seeking to move back in the draft. They will go big early too and not a wing player because they don't really seem high on the later bigs like Adams, Nogueria, Withey, Dieng, Gobert, etc. and feel much more comfortable with a wing in the middle of the first such as Sergey Karasev (they are very high on him but would have to trade up to obtain him), Jamaal Franklin or Reggie Bullock.

LanceUpperCut
06-20-2013, 12:20 PM
The Cavs hopefully for their sake a looking to trade the number 1 pick. I can't see a better opportunity to grab a front court star like Love or Cousins to pair with Kyrie.

They can make a killer package with a combo of the 1st, 19th, 31st picks along with throwing in future picks, TT or AV.

ottograham14
06-20-2013, 01:40 PM
The Cavs hopefully for their sake a looking to trade the number 1 pick. I can't see a better opportunity to grab a front court star like Love or Cousins to pair with Kyrie.

They can make a killer package with a combo of the 1st, 19th, 31st picks along with throwing in future picks, TT or AV.

Team has no interests in Cousins with his off-court issues and now with Dan Fegan his agent saying that he wants a max contract for Cousins this offseason or he will request a trade.

Also Love is not moving from Minny. Saunders loves him and wants to build around him now that Kahn is out who was the original one that Love did not enjoy.

Most likely Cleveland will not be able to find the value they want for the #1 pick and will just make a selection.