PDA

View Full Version : Monta Ellis will opt out of contract

JerseyPalahniuk
06-17-2013, 11:27 AM
http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/9395337/monta-ellis-milwaukee-bucks-opt-contract-sources

where does he end up? Left $11 million on table. I'm sure some team will offer him that but who? and does he go for the money or to win?

"Monta Ellis has informed the Milwaukee Bucks that he will opt out of the last year of his deal, according to league sources.

Ellis, who had one year, $11 million left on his contract, will become one of the most coveted free agents on the market this summer.

Sources say the Atlanta Hawks, Dallas Mavericks and the Los Angeles Lakers are three teams that have interest in Ellis, though the Lakers could only get Ellis via an unlikely sign-and-trade deal.

Ellis, who originally signed a six-year, $66 million deal with the Golden State Warriors, is close with Lakers free agent Dwight Howard. The two have long desired to play together.

If Howard cannot acheive his top goal of playing with Chris Paul, teaming with Ellis may become an option he will strongly consider.

Ellis' goal in signing his original deal was to give him the flexibilty to become a free agent in his prime.

The Bucks reportedly had offered Ellis a three-year, $36 million extension earlier this month but the offer was contingent on him not opting out of the final season of his contract.

Ellis led the Bucks with 19.2 points per game in the regular season, his eighth in the NBA after being drafted by the Warriors 40th overall in 2005."

NYKnickFanatic
06-17-2013, 11:30 AM
Monta-Dirk-Dwight ??

Sly Guy
06-17-2013, 11:33 AM
lol, let him team up with dwight. They can have as many 1st round exits as they want.

shep33
06-17-2013, 11:47 AM
Monta-Dirk-Dwight ??

That's a 2nd round exit at best.

LAKobeBryant
06-17-2013, 11:48 AM
lol, let him team up with dwight. They can have as many 1st round exits as they want.

I think everyone forgot that Dwight led a bunch of average players to the finals. Whether its luck or not that's still impressive

rockets-fan
06-17-2013, 11:49 AM
Not much of a "team up" there, unless they pair up with dirk.

rockets-fan
06-17-2013, 11:50 AM
I think everyone forgot that Dwight led a bunch of average players to the finals. Whether its luck or not that's still impressive

Yea in the years the east was trash and 4 out of the 8 playoff teams in the west could've beat them in the final, maybe all 8. Just an opinion obviously.

colinskik
06-17-2013, 12:02 PM
Monta is a better player than he gets credit for. I don’t think he’s been in the right team situation yet to fully harness his potential. I’d love to have him on my team.

JerseyPalahniuk
06-17-2013, 12:07 PM
Monta is a better player than he gets credit for. I don’t think he’s been in the right team situation yet to fully harness his potential. I’d love to have him on my team.

I'd also love to see Melo, Monta, and JR Smith on the same team. BRING HIM TO THE KNICKS PLEASE DOLAN

rockets-fan
06-17-2013, 12:07 PM

He's a good player and can score, but he's not a first option maybe not even second, why? Because IMO he is a chucker who gets hot sometimes. I think he'd play a perfect "Manu" Role coming off the bench and getting a lot of minutes, but obviously he would never do that and someone will give him 10-12 mil a year a start him. ,my guess is Dallas if Howard joins him.

c.c.
06-17-2013, 12:12 PM
I'd also love to see Melo, Monta, and JR Smith on the same team. BRING HIM TO THE KNICKS PLEASE DOLAN

That trio could score a lot points but I don't know about the chemistry though, all three are ball demanding players.

colinskik
06-17-2013, 12:13 PM

I sense a hint of sarcasm in your post. Tell me I’m wrong…

When I said, “my team” I didn’t necessarily mean the current Knicks team, I meant the hypothetical team that I would somehow have overriding command of. Monta, JR, and Melo is clearly not a recipe for success, unless we’re now playing the game with two basketballs.

colinskik
06-17-2013, 12:15 PM
He's a good player and can score, but he's not a first option maybe not even second, why? Because IMO he is a chucker who gets hot sometimes. I think he'd play a perfect "Manu" Role coming off the bench and getting a lot of minutes, but obviously he would never do that and someone will give him 10-12 mil a year a start him. ,my guess is Dallas if Howard joins him.

Just because I think he’s a better player than most, doesn’t mean I think he’s a viable number one option. I do think, however, than he and Dwight would make a good duo. With Monta’s propensity to shoot, and Dwight cleaning up around the rim, it could work out rather nicely.

JerseyPalahniuk
06-17-2013, 12:20 PM
I sense a hint of sarcasm in your post. Tell me I’m wrong…

When I said, “my team” I didn’t necessarily mean the current Knicks team, I meant the hypothetical team that I would somehow have overriding command of. Monta, JR, and Melo is clearly not a recipe for success, unless we’re now playing the game with two basketballs.

Well as a Nets fan, it wasn't sarcasm. I really would like that haha. But I didn't know that by "my team" you meant your team without either Melo or JR. Just an assumption I made. They would indeed need 2-3 basketballs to play together.

JerseyPalahniuk
06-17-2013, 12:24 PM
Just because I think he’s a better player than most, doesn’t mean I think he’s a viable number one option. I do think, however, than he and Dwight would make a good duo. With Monta’s propensity to shoot, and Dwight cleaning up around the rim, it could work out rather nicely.

That doesn't work out rather well with Kobe's propensity to shoot though. I think it would work out too if there wasn't another player that wanted to shoot all the time but that logic isn't good reasoning.

-Kobe24-TJ19-
06-17-2013, 12:48 PM
yikes, dont want him anywhere near the Lakers

knicksfan42
06-17-2013, 12:54 PM
You know Ellis actually played a full season averaging 20 PPG on 53% shooting. He's a career .456% shooter. Not horribly inefficient probably above average for guards. I think in the right system he could be a solid contributor.

celtNYpatsHeels
06-17-2013, 01:02 PM
Who will get more money? Ellis or Josh Smith?

I don't know their cap situation.... but Memphis would be a good fit for Monta

YouAreSoWrong
06-17-2013, 01:09 PM
Sixers havent had a true #1 scorer in awhile...I feel like a backcourt of Jrue and Monta would be pretty good...not to mention their combined costs would come to be around 25 mil...which I think is undervaluing what that backcourt could produce for a team with no real identity.

2-ONE-5
06-17-2013, 01:09 PM
i really doubt he gets 11 mil from anyone. more like 9 mil over 4 years

2-ONE-5
06-17-2013, 01:10 PM
Sixers havent had a true #1 scorer in awhile...I feel like a backcourt of Jrue and Monta would be pretty good...not to mention their combined costs would come to be around 25 mil...which I think is undervaluing what that backcourt could produce for a team with no real identity.

hellllllllllll no

Sly Guy
06-17-2013, 01:11 PM

I haven't forgotten. But he's got to :

1. Prove to me he's healthy and can dominate the paint again, at least on the defensive side of the ball
2. Prove to me he's more about winning than complaining about his touches in the paint.

If he can't do both, then I have nothing to fear from him.

ShockerArt
06-17-2013, 01:15 PM

Sixth man: Jamal Crawford

Pierzynski4Prez
06-17-2013, 01:17 PM
ATL could work. Teague-Monta-Horford-Dwight along with the 17th-18th picks in the draft, Lou WIlliams

HouRealCoach
06-17-2013, 01:31 PM
He is a 6th man on a championship contender at best, so is his buddy Brandon Jennings

JerseyPalahniuk
06-17-2013, 01:32 PM
Who will get more money? Ellis or Josh Smith?

Definitely Josh Smith. He could've gotten the max if he learned to post-up more than jacking threes.

UPRock
06-17-2013, 01:45 PM
Monta is a better player than Smith.

LAKobeBryant
06-17-2013, 01:51 PM
Yea in the years the east was trash and 4 out of the 8 playoff teams in the west could've beat them in the final, maybe all 8. Just an opinion obviously.

you can say that about heats getting free ride to finals for last 3 years.
but that year magics did beat Cleveland in the east finals.

Cal827
06-17-2013, 01:53 PM
All I can say is that it's likely not for the money. Hell Milwaukee is lucky that he turned it down. 4 Years for a total of 47 million, is something you don't want to spend on a guy who will only get you a couple more wins a season and could pretty much shoot you out of others. Might as well lose both Jennings and Ellis, and rebuild with the upcoming loaded draft.

PleaseBeNice
06-17-2013, 02:19 PM
He's interested in Sactown. Let that soak in for a minute. He likes our Coach Mike Malone and knows Vivek our owner.vWe are also ready to sign Chris Mullin as a consultant. Does that mean we want him? IDK. Our coach is all about defense now...so if monta plays d he will play, if not he WILL be benched. Im okay with Ellis ONLY IF we get rid of Marcus Thornton somehow. Ellis is deff not my first choice but he is an upgrade over thornton. if we can draft burke and sign iggy, i think we can start building for real next year.

burke
evans
iggy
shotblocker
cuz

well rounded line up there

6th man Ellis?

gatkins11
06-17-2013, 02:32 PM
Monta-Dirk-Dwight ??

That wouldn't be great this year, but Dallas will have a lot of cap space for 2014. Howard and Monta would be the only players under contract. Bring back Dirk at a significantly reduced rate and that core could be in business if they were able to sign a max player in 2014. Huge "if" though.

lol, please
06-17-2013, 02:35 PM
http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/9395337/monta-ellis-milwaukee-bucks-opt-contract-sources

where does he end up? Left $11 million on table. I'm sure some team will offer him that but who? and does he go for the money or to win?

Monta goes to Sac and wins a 'ship under Malone. :confused: I thought we'd been over this?

KnickaBocka.44
06-17-2013, 03:32 PM
If Monta just reigned in his shot selection and looked for his teammates a bit more he could be one hell of a player in this league.

east fb knicks
06-17-2013, 04:43 PM
monta is going to dallas with Bynum or j smith book it

TheNumber37
06-17-2013, 05:01 PM
Ellis and Sanders and a pick for Bosh or Al Jefferson

if Ellis is smart he will take on the 6th man role.for a new team. imagine Ellis as a 6th man for the Thunder or Pacers. or go be the 6th in Houston with Dwight.

sunsfan88
06-17-2013, 05:04 PM
That would be quite comical to watch.

sunsfan88
06-17-2013, 05:06 PM
Memphis should look to getting him.

Jarvo
06-17-2013, 05:09 PM
Praying he would take less join Spurs and becomes our 6th man :clap:

B'sCeltsPatsSox
06-17-2013, 05:18 PM
I was going to say Atlanta after they miss out on Howard and Paul, but Ferry also realized how terrible the Joe Johnson contract was.

TrueFan420
06-17-2013, 05:21 PM
He's interested in Sactown. Let that soak in for a minute. He likes our Coach Mike Malone and knows Vivek our owner.vWe are also ready to sign Chris Mullin as a consultant. Does that mean we want him? IDK. Our coach is all about defense now...so if monta plays d he will play, if not he WILL be benched. Im okay with Ellis ONLY IF we get rid of Marcus Thornton somehow. Ellis is deff not my first choice but he is an upgrade over thornton. if we can draft burke and sign iggy, i think we can start building for real next year.

burke
evans
iggy
shotblocker
cuz

well rounded line up there

6th man Ellis?

He would start for you guys with Evans. Evans is big enough to guard 2 guards but is a combo guard like Ellis. If you could get iggy that would be big cause of his skills at creating for others. No true pg would be required all 3 would share the responsibility

avengedchaos5
06-17-2013, 05:33 PM
please come to boston!!!!!

B'sCeltsPatsSox
06-17-2013, 05:38 PM
please come to boston!!!!!

lol why?

MrfadeawayJB
06-17-2013, 06:17 PM
Hoopshype reported Ellis has told numerous people he'd like to be with grizz. I'd love him as a 6th man who can be a #1 option with the bench lineup. I don't see him taking a massive pay cut to try and win a ring though

abe_froman
06-17-2013, 06:31 PM
i really cant see the grizz doing that,not with hollinger and the rest of the stat heads that run the f.o.

MrfadeawayJB
06-17-2013, 06:32 PM
i really cant see the grizz doing that,not with hollinger and the rest of the stat heads that run the f.o.

Yes I was thinking the same thing but as a offensive punch off the bench at the right price who knows

Jarvo
06-17-2013, 07:55 PM
Hoopshype reported Ellis has told numerous people he'd like to be with grizz. I'd love him as a 6th man who can be a #1 option with the bench lineup. I don't see him taking a massive pay cut to try and win a ring though

He goes there I will piss my pants.

chitownredbulls
06-17-2013, 08:11 PM
yikes, dont want him anywhere near the Lakers

Why not? You guys suck especially with Kobe aging dumbass haha

ldawg
06-17-2013, 08:42 PM
With Nash and Kobe aged back court he would be a great pick up for the Lakers.

MrfadeawayJB
06-17-2013, 10:19 PM

He goes there I will piss my pants.

I'd be shocked too Jarvo lol

SportsFanatic10
06-17-2013, 11:31 PM
dwight and ellis deserve each other lol.

iFYouSeekAmy
06-18-2013, 12:01 AM

agree. stat analytics hate Ellis

LA_Raiders
06-18-2013, 01:58 AM
nets or grizz

SugeKnight
06-18-2013, 11:06 AM
He's going back to the warriors for vet min

avengedchaos5
06-22-2013, 09:14 PM
lol why?

cuz we need a scorer

B'sCeltsPatsSox
06-22-2013, 09:20 PM
cuz we need a scorer

Yes, but not an inefficient one.

seikou8
06-22-2013, 10:06 PM

hellllllllll no anyway we cant afford it so