PDA

View Full Version : Is Moses Malone The Most Underrated Player Of All Time?

Clippersfan86
06-16-2013, 11:59 PM
His peak, a 9 year span.. the man AVERAGED 25.5 ppg, 14 rpg, 1.5 bpg, 1.5 apg, 1 spg. He also had a CAREER 76 percent free throw shooting percentage which is amazing for a center that brutish. Who else was so dominant yet gets so little talk when discussing greats?

b@llhog24
06-17-2013, 12:02 AM
Underrated is relative. And I think Chuck and DRob are better "underrated" players. With that being said, his name never comes up anywhere near the GCOAT discussion, when it should.

Chacarron
06-17-2013, 12:04 AM
I definitely think so. He made Kareem look human in the Finals.

Longhornfan1234
06-17-2013, 12:04 AM
He also destroyed Kareem.

Clippersfan86
06-17-2013, 12:09 AM
Underrated is relative. And I think Chuck and DRob are better "underrated" players. With that being said, his name never comes up anywhere near the GCOAT discussion, when it should.

You think Barkley is underrated?? Everybody I talk ball with pretty much has him as the undisputed 2nd best PF all time and a top 30 player. Robinson is another good one for sure though. People forget about him and how dominant he was too.

b@llhog24
06-17-2013, 12:14 AM
You think Barkley is underrated?? Everybody I talk ball with pretty much has him as the undisputed 2nd best PF all time and a top 30 player. Robinson is another good one for sure though. People forget about him and how dominant he was too.

That's anecdotal though, for instance I always see Malone and KG listed as being the second best PF ever. Which is why I said being underrated is relative that you've seen/heard. As for him being a top 30 player, I'd venture to guess it's closer to 10-15, than 30.

In any event, I do believe that MM is the more unknown player in comparison to Barkley (more due to his big mouth than game) and DRob. So I'd have no problem with someone claiming him to being the most underrated player of all time.

DDynO
06-17-2013, 12:16 AM
Moses is extremely underrated. i wouldn't put him in my top 5 centers tho.

Clippersfan86
06-17-2013, 12:16 AM
That's anecdotal though, for instance I always see Malone and KG listed as being the second best PF ever. Which is why I said being underrated is relative that you've seen/heard. As for him being a top 30 player, I'd venture to guess it's closer to 10-15, than 30.

In any event, I do believe that MM is the more unknown player in comparison to Barkley (more due to his big mouth than game) and DRob. So I'd have no problem with someone claiming him to being the most underrated player of all time.

Yea I've heard most have him 10-15 too... but I said 30 so it wasn't as specific (when I get specific here I get called out by people playing Devil's Advocate with me). Who do you think was a better player, Robinson or Malone?

b@llhog24
06-17-2013, 12:24 AM
Yea I've heard most have him 10-15 too... but I said 30 so it wasn't as specific (when I get specific here I get called out by people playing Devil's Advocate with me). Who do you think was a better player, Robinson or Malone?

DRob.

Clippersfan86
06-17-2013, 12:25 AM
DRob.

For defensive edge?

Chronz
06-17-2013, 12:26 AM
Total enigma to me, not sure who he compares with historically. If he is underrated its because we place too much emphasis on team success

b@llhog24
06-17-2013, 12:28 AM
For defensive edge?

In a nutshell, yes.

Hawkeye15
06-17-2013, 12:28 AM
Barkley takes that cake for me.

shep33
06-17-2013, 12:42 AM
Barkley takes that cake for me.

This... Charles was a freak.

Try and imagine a 6'4 dude dominating the glass (averaged 15 per game one year in Philly). Not only that he bullied centers down low on the offensive end.

The other guy I have to add is Ewing

Bruno
06-17-2013, 12:42 AM
I've got Moses Malone @ #11 all-time.

Clippersfan86
06-17-2013, 12:44 AM
Again confused on Barkley supposedly being THIS underrated. Like Ballhog said it's relative but Barkley gets ranked VERY well by most people. Maybe it's because like he said.. Barkley's extremely well known and charismatic now? Malone was more low key and played decades ago so he's probably just less known.

shep33
06-17-2013, 12:46 AM
Again confused on Barkley supposedly being THIS underrated. Like Ballhog said it's relative but Barkley gets ranked VERY well by most people. Maybe it's because like he said.. Barkley's extremely well known and charismatic now? Malone was more low key and played decades ago so he's probably just less known.

I think this has a lot to do with it. Dude was a villain back in the day. But everyone knows who he is an loves him (or hates him) for his personality on camera.

Another thing about Barkley. Even when he was fat and old with the Rockets, he still was one of the best rebounders in the NBA. Think about that for a second. 6'4, fat, old, and still pulls down 11 rpg. Pretty insane.

shep33
06-17-2013, 12:53 AM
But to the OP, can't go wrong with Moses. Dude was a beast.

Hellcrooner
06-17-2013, 01:14 AM
he "destroyed" a 33-34 year old kareem?

give me a break!!!!

Artis Gilmore is way more underated, everybody knows Mo Malone is a beast.

Clippersfan86
06-17-2013, 01:16 AM
WTF!? I just read that Malone is listed as 215 pounds. Not possible! I thought the guy was like 260.

Edit: NVM other sources list him as 260. I guess one summer he put on 20 lb and then again in his career bulked up.

jam
06-17-2013, 04:00 AM
Moses developed a reputation, whether deserved or not, as a stat padder. In particular, he was often mocked for supposedly deliberately missing chippies in order to pad his offensive rebound line. In addition, and this was an nba issue rather than a criticism of malone himself, but it was often comical how often he traveled and got away with it.

I watched him play many times and while he was never the freak athlete that a lot of elite centers were (vertical, floor speed), he had amazing hands and timing and probably a fantastic wingspan as well. He had a knack for getting to the ball, and he had a patented fadeaway baseline jumper that was a poor man's version of kareem's sky hook. He was also a good, but not quite elite shot blocker as well.

Olajuwon in particular, borrowed that move to tremendous effect in houston.

Nonetheless, Moses has an elite resume that compares favorably with just about anyone, save perhaps a half dozen players to have ever played the game.

There are several subjective factors which detract from his standing in the game: he started his career in the aba, he didn't have the chiseled physique you might expect from an elite guy, and of course there was a taken for granted assumption that he while he was a winner, he was a bit of a vain stat padder.

The dude was a great player, and one of the great personalities and winners in the game.