PDA

View Full Version : MJ sues grocery chain for $5 million for congratulating him

Sportfan
06-15-2013, 11:50 PM
A federal judge who labeled Michael Jordan's $5 million lawsuit against Dominick's food stores "greedy" ordered the former NBA star to appear in court this week for an off-the-record settlement conference in a locked courtroom.

Jordan was allowed to avoid attention Wednesday by entering the Dirksen U.S. Courthouse through its underground parking garage and then taking a private elevator to U.S. District Judge Milton Shadur's 23rd-floor courtroom.

Shadur, who has ruled that Dominick's is liable for a 2009 magazine advertisement that used Jordan's name without permission, wanted the owner of the Charlotte Bobcats to appear in person to hear the judge's views on what reasonable damages would be, according to court transcripts. He rejected a demand from Jordan's attorney that the president of the grocery chain also appear.

"I think it would be a constructive use of time to see whether some element of sanity cannot be introduced into this matter," Shadur was quoted as saying in a transcript of a May 22 hearing.

"I thought the demand was greedy," Shadur said of Jordan, who is seeking $5 million in damages for a one-page ad that ran in a Sports Illustrated commemorative issue celebrating Jordan's induction into the Hall of Fame.

Frederick Sperling, Jordan's attorney, confirmed that Jordan attended the settlement conference Wednesday and said the case is headed to trial. Dominick's attorney Steven Mandell declined to comment.

Sperling had sought to keep Jordan from having to appear at the conference, writing in a motion that his client was ready for trial and that "Mr. Jordan does not think such discussions would be a good use of anyone's time and resources."

"Are you allergic to the notion that he somehow ought to participate in a lawsuit that he brought?" Shadur asked Sperling at the May 22 hearing, a transcript shows.

Jordan sued Dominick's Finer Foods LLC and its corporate parent Safeway Inc. in 2010 after Jordan's financial adviser, Curtis Polk, happened to see the ad while flipping through the special issue while at a doctor's office, according to Polk's deposition.

"Congratulations, Michael Jordan" the ad said in large lettering above the phrase, "You are a cut above." Below the phrase was a $2-off coupon for a Rancher's Reserve steak from Dominick's.
He might be the GOAT but he can be a POS off the court

bucketss
06-15-2013, 11:55 PM
What a Douche Bag, greedy son of a *****.

OceanSpray
06-16-2013, 12:02 AM
Always knew MJ was a douchebag.

FachoinaNYY
06-16-2013, 12:15 AM
Anyone saying MJ is a douche is missing the point. He is a brand and an icon, you cannot, as a major chain use a brand/icon in an advertisement, even with good intentions, without compensation. This was STILL an advertisement for Dominicks and was a coupon for steak. This is pretty clear. Anyone who says this is a douche move does not understand the way the world works and comes across as a child.

More-Than-Most
06-16-2013, 12:17 AM
Anyone saying MJ is a douche is missing the point. He is a brand and an icon, you cannot, as a major chain use a brand/icon in an advertisement, even with good intentions, without compensation. This was STILL an advertisement for Dominicks and was a coupon for steak. This is pretty clear. Anyone who says this is a douche move does not understand the way the world works and comes across as a child.

He really is a douche though

FachoinaNYY
06-16-2013, 12:18 AM

He may be but not based on this.

FOBolous
06-16-2013, 12:18 AM
i actually agreed with MJ. if they were JUST congratulating him...it's whatever. but they were not JUST congratulating him, they used this opportunity to advertise their product...the "congratulatory" ad used catchy slogan stating "he is a "cut" above" while featuring a steak. they used his likeness to sell a product, without his permission. they then used an occasion as an excuse.

i side with MJ 100% on this one. this judge needs to go back to law school.

Vinny642
06-16-2013, 12:21 AM
Actually it is a douche move

ThaDubs
06-16-2013, 12:24 AM
Thread title is wrong.

RiceOnTheRun
06-16-2013, 12:30 AM
I don't know why people are surprised. MJ is the biggest douchebag in the world and that's part of why he was such a badass on the court. He wouldn't be MJ without all the **** talking and taunting he did in the game, and he wouldn't be doing those things if he wasn't already a douchebag haha.

LayBraun
06-16-2013, 12:45 AM
What a douche

Nick O
06-16-2013, 01:09 AM
looooool ... hes kind of a douche.... ahahha

*Superman*
06-16-2013, 01:13 AM
He couldn't just ask them to take it out? Was the money necessary?

RLundi
06-16-2013, 01:42 AM
MJ is a snake.

Gibby
06-16-2013, 01:46 AM
jordan is a douche but he is right in this situation. Imagine if your jordan's other sponsors and you pay millions to use his name, meanwhile some other company just uses it for free. Only situation where i can see it being ok, is if the coupon was separate from the the ad with MJ but it seemed like they were trying to be deceitful with the slogan.

Gibby
06-16-2013, 01:47 AM
He couldn't just ask them to take it out? Was the money necessary?

It was a magazine and it was already in circulation, the damage was done.

TheSportMessiah
06-16-2013, 01:53 AM
calling him a douche in a sense makes every athlete who gets paid to endorse some sort of product a douche in a sense...LeBron or Derek Jeter or Kobe Bryant wouldn't endorse Nike for free...there is a reason each of them have taken millions of dollars over the years from Nike and a reason many other athletes take millions of dollars from various endorsements...no athlete that endorses any brand is doing it for free. Yes before everyone says it i understand they aren't the same thing...but if Nike or any other brand were using LeBron or Kobe Bryant's name or image to push their brand...what do you think would happen?

PraiseJesus
06-16-2013, 01:57 AM
Business can be brutal.

The reason its $5 million is because thats what he charges other companies.

Im kinda speechless. Greed is too much nowadays

Slug3
06-16-2013, 02:01 AM
He might be a prick. But I mean they tried to advertise something without his approval. How is that ok? I don't think the 5 millions is ok either.

Lake_Show2416
06-16-2013, 02:21 AM
would have done the same thing, this is a business world not fantasy, u want to use the services of a celebrities to push ur products by law u have to receive permission

DreamShaker
06-16-2013, 03:03 AM
He needs it to overpay another overrated player and draft another bust.

But seriously. It was his agent that found the coupon, and things like that are not uncommon upon business people. MJ is not the nicest guy in the world, but this is not a big deal to me.

Now an MJ story I heard from a buddy who worked for the Spurs was more telling. He was a ball boy that worked the visiting team at the games, and MJ was there with the Wizards. Some female ballgirl asks for MJ's autograph and he asks for her superviser and DEMANDS he fire her. I'll let you guess if the guy listened to MJ. Lol. Pippen isn't much better, though. He promised a big tip to my buddy if he snuck him a beer, and then totally stiffed the guy! I would say maybe it's a Bulls thing, but Horace Grant tipped him a hundred bucks more than once.

DreamShaker
06-16-2013, 03:10 AM
He might be a prick. But I mean they tried to advertise something without his approval. How is that ok? I don't think the 5 millions is ok either.

Yeah, the amount is what seems over the top to me. But the company was in the wrong. Mo money mo problems.

Raps18-19 Champ
06-16-2013, 03:27 AM
Misleading title.

Agree with him in this situation but also agree he's always been a douche.

BKLYNpigeon
06-16-2013, 03:28 AM
I really dont care at all.

Kyben36
06-16-2013, 04:05 AM
He might be the GOAT but he can be a POS off the court

im not trying to argue his case, it is a bit rediculous, but the fact is there is a reason dominics had to settle, they illegaly took a picture of Michael jordon and placed it in an add campain for a product that he may not nessisarily suport. which is against the law, he has a case and even though you want to act like its just about money, honestly im sure its more about principle.

Kyben36
06-16-2013, 04:07 AM
calling him a douche in a sense makes every athlete who gets paid to endorse some sort of product a douche in a sense...LeBron or Derek Jeter or Kobe Bryant wouldn't endorse Nike for free...there is a reason each of them have taken millions of dollars over the years from Nike and a reason many other athletes take millions of dollars from various endorsements...no athlete that endorses any brand is doing it for free. Yes before everyone says it i understand they aren't the same thing...but if Nike or any other brand were using LeBron or Kobe Bryant's name or image to push their brand...what do you think would happen?

well im not the only one I guese who doesnt see this as wrong. as I see it, he had a case against them for illegaly using his name and immage to sell a product, a product he may not suport, fact is if I was to take a picture of Lebron, put my home made toothpaste in an add, have him smiling with a quote saying something along the lines of if only my rings shined this bright, I would be liable to be sued.

The goods
06-16-2013, 04:46 AM
jordan is a douche but he is right in this situation. Imagine if your jordan's other sponsors and you pay millions to use his name, meanwhile some other company just uses it for free. Only situation where i can see it being ok, is if the coupon was separate from the the ad with MJ but it seemed like they were trying to be deceitful with the slogan.

Great point I thought it was him being a dick at first but this would've started a chain reaction to other businesses doing it, he had to make an example out of them, asking politely won't get you ****, but pissed on in the business world. If I were MJ the 5 million would just be a smoke screen but I would settle for a lot cheaper and keep it under the table just to come off as a threat and keep the share holders happy, I mean in the end does he really need all that money?

FreakaNashur
06-16-2013, 06:07 AM
MJ is a capitalist. this does not surprise me.

ramsizzle
06-16-2013, 06:11 AM

The ad is separate from the coupon. N it is a thank you... The fact that the judge nearly laughe this out of court says something. It literally thanks mike without using any logo.... Then has a two dollar off coupon below.

Kleonidas
06-16-2013, 08:36 AM
The Judge was wrong to scold MJ. M. Jordan is a brand that took a lifetime to build and one that's in his best interest to protect. To use his image costs money ,because it makes money. The steakhouse owner decided he didn't need to follow antitrust laws. MJ could be invested into another Steakhouse. This Stakehouse could be the equivalent to Outback. If that's the case, Jordan would be wise to have no affiliation. McDonald's paid MJ five million a year to use his likeness. Did this steakhouse owner really think he could use if for free?

A steakhouse yesterday.
A car dealership today.
An Orient shoe maker tomorrow.

goingfor28
06-16-2013, 09:25 AM
D bag

GiantsSwaGG
06-16-2013, 09:35 AM
What a ****ing douchebag

Sportfan
06-16-2013, 09:47 AM
H
He can just confront them and tell the chain to take down the ad. Why go through the hassle of legal action and sue for $5 mil??

BcEuAbRsS
06-16-2013, 09:55 AM
Jordan is a douche, that's undeniable. But in this case I actually think he's in the right, they illegally used his brand and he's only asking for his standard compensation. Now 5 million is probably too much for a one time ad, but there should be some sort of compensation to Jordan.

BcEuAbRsS
06-16-2013, 09:56 AM
H
He can just confront them and tell the chain to take down the ad. Why go through the hassle of legal action and sue for $5 mil??

The ad was already in circulation, unless they go to every single house that the ad was sent to, I think your point it moot.

3RDASYSTEM
06-16-2013, 10:04 AM

That can be said for any athlete, even the super protected media types like a MANNING and so on are of the same its just others get put out in media more so you call it how you come across it

its no different then if somebody or two that you pissed off in life ran around brainwashing they side of the fence then everybody will call you a douche or ***** or *****

JORDAN doesn't play anymore so his business is being blasted at alltime high, especially personal and petty stuff like this, but he is a brand so I guess he should get a pct. of his brand in any fashion

JordansBulls
06-16-2013, 10:09 AM
If Jordan allowed people to make profit off of him he would be in the same situation other superstars are in after they leave the NBA. Broke.

c.c.
06-16-2013, 10:26 AM
MJ is right but he didn't have to sue these folks. This 5 M, court fees, and other expenses could possibly put these people out of business. I could see if he was a vegetarian that didn't eat meat or it brought shame to him in any kind of way.

Jamiecballer
06-16-2013, 10:37 AM

oh we get it. still a douche move. they did not have to take any action.

Jamiecballer
06-16-2013, 10:39 AM
It was a magazine and it was already in circulation, the damage was done.

haha. damage. right. turn the other cheek michael. be a decent human for once.

Sixerlover
06-16-2013, 10:39 AM
The damage was done, the ad already got out to the general public.

Jordan is in the right here. And to be honest it's not even "Michael Jordan" the person that is probably suing them, but "Jordan Brand Corporation" yet because he's the figurehead, he'll get the attention. There are people working for MJ that make a living off of controlling his brand, advertising deals, marketing opportunities etc. For the store to undercut all of them to make a weak attempt at free advertisement with his name is wrong. They definitely deserve to be sued.

I just wish everyone here realized it isn't Michael Jordan suing them for $5 million to put in his bank account lol. It's the business of Jordan Brand where people don't have nearly as much as MJ financially and it's their job to look out for these kind of things.

Sixerlover
06-16-2013, 10:40 AM
double post :(

J4KOP99
06-16-2013, 11:15 AM
His business people did the right thing. Can't let people use his name.

ManRam
06-16-2013, 11:17 AM
it would have been interesting if MJ played in this current generation of social media and obsessive and meticulous sports coverage. people knew he was kinda a dick back when he played, but today, when everyone makes a story out of everything and players are such much more accessible and in the public's eye...well...i think there'd be a slightly different impression of the guy.

the GOAT, but kinda a crappy person at times.

i understand the business side of this, but still...

J4KOP99
06-16-2013, 11:17 AM
The damage was done, the ad already got out to the general public.

Jordan is in the right here. And to be honest it's not even "Michael Jordan" the person that is probably suing them, but "Jordan Brand Corporation" yet because he's the figurehead, he'll get the attention. There are people working for MJ that make a living off of controlling his brand, advertising deals, marketing opportunities etc. For the store to undercut all of them to make a weak attempt at free advertisement with his name is wrong. They definitely deserve to be sued.

I just wish everyone here realized it isn't Michael Jordan suing them for $5 million to put in his bank account lol. It's the business of Jordan Brand where people don't have nearly as much as MJ financially and it's their job to look out for these kind of things.

Wish I saw this before I posted.

This is exactly right. People have no idea what they're talking about here.

Mell413
06-16-2013, 11:38 AM
Thread title is misleading. I can see Jordan's gripe here. He's still a prick though.

tr3ymill3r
06-16-2013, 11:51 AM
If I'm the defendant, I claim that there are thousands of people named Michael Jordan, and this ad doesn't specifically say the NBA hall of fame. If all the ad says is, Congratulations Michael Jordan!!! You're a cut above. I would counter-sue Jordan and bring that old white guy from the commercial to the hearing. The Jordan brand is a trademark, the name Michael Jordan is not a trademark.

Caveman508
06-16-2013, 12:10 PM
this dude has more money than god like what the ****?

Lo Porto
06-16-2013, 12:53 PM
Jordan also sued refs who didn't give him calls against the Pistons back in the day. In a settlement, the NBA gave him every call for the next decade.

todu82
06-16-2013, 01:17 PM
As others have said Jordan's a great player but the guy's a big time idiot off the court.

lamzoka
06-16-2013, 04:01 PM
MJ is the biggest douche in the world, but he got a point here.

The used his name for advertisements purposes without his permission

mrblisterdundee
06-16-2013, 05:04 PM
I would be kind of upset if it was a smaller company Jordan was suing, but Dominick's is a subsidiary of Safeway. Any mention of the Safeway brand takes my sympathy away.

sunsfan88
06-16-2013, 05:53 PM
LeBron needs to be more of a douche off the court so that he can match Jordan both on and off the court.

D-Leethal
06-16-2013, 07:11 PM
People bashing MJ here clearly have no knowledge of branding or the business world in general. Stupid move by the grocery chain, especially one backed by a major corporation like Safeway.

D-Leethal
06-16-2013, 07:15 PM

Agreed. MJ is a giant douchebag but anyone with a brain who likes money would sue Safeway for this.

Iron24th
06-16-2013, 07:17 PM
Even if it's a douche move, it's business, that's how the world works.

Nothing surprising.

Badluck33
06-16-2013, 08:01 PM
he should give all 6 of his titles back.

what a d-bag...

Jamiecballer
06-16-2013, 08:11 PM

i haven't heard anyone argue that he didn't have the right to sue. but did he have to? big difference. have your lawyers pick up the phone and warn the company that if they do it again a lawsuit will be forthcoming.

D-Leethal
06-16-2013, 08:27 PM
i haven't heard anyone argue that he didn't have the right to sue. but did he have to? big difference. have your lawyers pick up the phone and warn the company that if they do it again a lawsuit will be forthcoming.

Yea because you would pass on a chance to legally obtain $5M from a billion dollar corporation if you had the chance. I don't care how rich you are, nobody is passing up on that. The Michael Jordan brand is big business, and MJ has spent his entire life building it, can't let people mooch off that to make themselves richer without paying up for it. The grocery chain, and Safeway should be smarter and operate within the rules and regs like everyone else does.

mikekhelxD
06-16-2013, 08:30 PM
Why is MJ getting heat with this? I'd sue too. Are you telling me if I use the Safeway brand to make profit and I didn't tell them, I won't get sued? Just play by the rules.

mikekhelxD
06-16-2013, 08:35 PM
If I'm the defendant, I claim that there are thousands of people named Michael Jordan, and this ad doesn't specifically say the NBA hall of fame. If all the ad says is, Congratulations Michael Jordan!!! You're a cut above. I would counter-sue Jordan and bring that old white guy from the commercial to the hearing. The Jordan brand is a trademark, the name Michael Jordan is not a trademark.

Yeah, the only thing is the ad has his name, the number 23, red background, black font for the number, and a logo similar to the Jordan brand. It even has a basketball. Coincidence? Good touch on the "You Are Cut Above" thing though.

krisxsong
06-17-2013, 01:47 AM

The reason people don't understand how a business works is because most people here have never run a business or anything close to it. The majority of people here are kids, and those who aren't kids usually aren't in a position where somebody is making money off of them without their knowledge, consent, or compensation.

A lot of people view this as "MJ sued a market for congratulating him". MJ, and a lot of others view it as "The market attempted to further benefit their business by using Michael Jordan's name without his consent or knowledge"