PDA

View Full Version : Will there ever be a player like Charles Barkley again?

WOwolfOL
06-14-2013, 11:29 PM
He seriously was a one-of-a-kind player. I mean this guy is slightly under 6'5 and he averaged over 11 boards a game for his career. His ****ing career-high was 33! He wasn't a consistent defender but still he was out there, at 6'5, to be generous, and he was banging with and out-jumping guys who had a half a foot on him at least. He was an animal, sometimes unstoppable offensively as well. But we've seen a ton of scorers his size so it's not about that. Rebounding and defending the 4 is a whole nother story. A lot of superstar players you can find comparisons for but, will there ever be another Sir Charles?

Hawkeye15
06-14-2013, 11:31 PM
don't think so. Arguably THE most underrated all timer ever.

goingfor28
06-14-2013, 11:32 PM
don't think so. Arguably THE most underrated all timer ever.

Shaun kemp is in this race too IMO

But sir Charles is a G

Tony_Starks
06-14-2013, 11:41 PM
Never! Biggest heart of any of the PFs from that era. Beast rebounder, with a legit old school post game PLUS range and handle.

Broke my heart when Stockton hit the jumper over Houston to send Utah to the finals. I wanted to see Sir Charles get another shot at MJ with Hakeem on his side this time.....

kozelkid
06-14-2013, 11:44 PM
He seriously was a one-of-a-kind player. I mean this guy is slightly under 6'5 and he averaged over 11 boards a game for his career. His ****ing career-high was 33! He wasn't a consistent defender but still he was out there, at 6'5, to be generous, and he was banging with and out-jumping guys who had a half a foot on him at least. He was an animal, sometimes unstoppable offensively as well. But we've seen a ton of scorers his size so it's not about that. Rebounding and defending the 4 is a whole nother story. A lot of superstar players you can find comparisons for but, will there ever be another Sir Charles?

Couple things I'd like to nitpick just cause you know how I am.

For one, Barkley was hardly a defender. For another, Chuck Hayes and Ben Wallace are two players who come to mind at 6'6 (yes Wallace is listed at 6'9, but NBA players' listed heights are about as reliable as Broussard's "sources").

That said, Barkley was a freak of nature as an athlete and I remember Tim Grover pointing out that that was the greatest athlete he has ever seen. And I agree with hawkeye, easily one of the most underrated NBA players of all time. You forget sometimes how much he dominated, and when you couple it with his size, it's pretty impressive.

cmellofan15
06-14-2013, 11:45 PM
To echo everyone else, no. Dude was an absolute banger and his offensive game and his rebounding will never be matched by any player of his stature.

WOwolfOL
06-14-2013, 11:51 PM

For one, Barkley was hardly a defender. For another, Chuck Hayes and Ben Wallace are two players who come to mind at 6'6 (yes Wallace is listed at 6'9, but NBA players' listed heights are about as reliable as Broussard's "sources").

That said, Barkley was a freak of nature as an athlete and I remember Tim Grover pointing out that that was the greatest athlete he has ever seen. And I agree with hawkeye, easily one of the most underrated NBA players of all time. You forget sometimes how much he dominated, and when you couple it with his size, it's pretty impressive.

He admitted to Carlesmo that he just didn't like to play defense all the time. It's too bad because since he was so physical I think he could've been a lot better if he worked at it.

Agent008
06-15-2013, 12:16 AM
I think the closest someone has come to emulating Barkley was Larry Johnson in his prime. Still LJ wasn't nearly as good as Sir Charles. Hard to imagine another PF of Barkley's size being so dominant.

Im_in_Mia_bish
06-15-2013, 12:25 AM
barkley was a beast. shame that jordan and the bulls spoilt his legacy.

Shlumpledink
06-15-2013, 12:43 AM
There is no reason why Barkley should have been able to move like he did. If he played defense he'd have been the best power forward ever, but he didn't like to, it's a shame because he had great hands and agility and would have been a stump (ala chuck hayes) on defense with his low center of gravity and high strength.

DreamShaker
06-15-2013, 12:46 AM
Can you imagine how they would pick apart Barkley at the draft combine? No way he should have done what he did in the body he had. He was just a freak of nature. Lebron type athlete in Chuck Hayes body. He had the skill, aggression, and mind to go with it. Top 20 player in history for sure.

carlthack
06-15-2013, 12:51 AM
If there ever is I hope he signs with the Lakers.

xILLN355
06-15-2013, 01:04 AM

Neither of those guys were even remotely close offensively to Barkley so you shouldn't be bringing them up.

NYKnickFanatic
06-15-2013, 02:29 AM
Good ol trash talk without getting T'd up. I miss that.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=IHrygsvvQ48

http://youtube.com/watch?feature=related&v=EgqenyEJ1nQ

BirdIsTheWord
06-15-2013, 02:42 AM
Good ol trash talk without getting T'd up. I miss that.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=IHrygsvvQ48

http://youtube.com/watch?feature=related&v=EgqenyEJ1nQ

Sad that they'd all be T'd up for that in today's NBA.

RiceOnTheRun
06-15-2013, 02:57 AM
One of the most amusing people to listen along with that haha. Definitely one of the great personalities I enjoy seeing on TV, even though he does give the Knicks a bit too much **** sometimes.

NYKalltheway
06-15-2013, 03:32 AM
highly improbable

ThaDubs
06-15-2013, 03:48 AM
No. I don't think we will ever see a guy who would be slightly undersized at the 2 playing the 4 and averaging 15 boards a game. Not only that but he was gritty, unstoppable on offense at times, and was a great defender and play maker. The closest guy to him still playing would have to be Z-Bo. At least in terms of un-softness and hustle.

NYKalltheway
06-15-2013, 04:10 AM
Wouldnt' say great defender but he is very underrated on that aspect.

b@llhog24
06-15-2013, 04:44 AM
Blake is a really really homeless mans version of Chuck. But doubt he'll ever get that good. Chuck was a mutha****ing monster.

hidalgo
06-15-2013, 05:04 AM
i think he was 6'6, he looked just as tall as Michael Jordan standing next to him, & he's listed 6'6.

google michael jordan & charles barkley pics. you'll see he's 6'6. his dream team pics standin straight up etc. his 1991 mugshot he's like 6'7+. he may be 6'4 & 3/4 without shoes, but on the court in shoes 6'6 all day. still incredible rebounding for a 6'6 guy. PFs are usually 6'8 & up, but it was no problem for him whatsoever to bang with the biggest baddest PFs & out rebound them all expect Rodman. great scorer too, & a really good passer. there will never be another PF like Barkley, top 20 all time

closest thing rebounding wise for a shorter PF was Danny Fortson, but at 6'7 he had an inch over Charles. and nowhere near the overall game Charles had

WOwolfOL
06-15-2013, 10:28 AM
^ Charles himself says he's 6'4 and change. many websites say the same thing, that he's listed at 6'6 but he's not that tall.

kozelkid
06-15-2013, 11:14 AM
Neither of those guys were even remotely close offensively to Barkley so you shouldn't be bringing them up.

I was CLEARLY referring to their impact as undersized bigs at the defensive end. Given that both couldn't provide ANY offensive impact, I have no idea how you could possibly misconstrue in comparison to one of the best scoring bigs of all time.

Kleonidas
06-15-2013, 11:25 AM
Tobias Harris...

kdspurman
06-15-2013, 11:32 AM
Blake is a really really homeless mans version of Chuck. But doubt he'll ever get that good. Chuck was a mutha****ing monster.

I doubt it too, especially cause Chuck relished the physical play and wouldn't hesitate to get in someones face. A long with his great play, he had the right attitude to be successful too

macc
06-15-2013, 11:41 AM
This is a tad off topic but Charles Barkely recently had a bench competition against Shaq and won. He put up 405 pretty easily while Shaq couldn't. That was kinda suprising.

Clippersfan86
06-15-2013, 12:06 PM
Basically will there ever be another undersized PF who could dominate to his level? No. To be 6'6 (generous) and average 14 or w/e rpg is INSANE. Like others have said his motor is unmatched. So no... just like any other top 20 player.. there will never be another like them.

3's set u free
06-15-2013, 12:14 PM
Haha that was fake

3's set u free
06-15-2013, 12:14 PM
This is a tad off topic but Charles Barkely recently had a bench competition against Shaq and won. He put up 405 pretty easily while Shaq couldn't. That was kinda suprising. fake

WOwolfOL
06-15-2013, 09:04 PM
Basically will there ever be another undersized PF who could dominate to his level? No. To be 6'6 (generous) and average 14 or w/e rpg is INSANE. Like others have said his motor is unmatched. So no... just like any other top 20 player.. there will never be another like them.

A lot of top 20 players, you can find solid comparisons for in today's game. The talent might not match completely, but there's at least players who match the prototype, you know what I'm saying. I feel like Barkley is sort of in a class of his own. I can't think of any other player ever who did what he did at that size.

LakersMaster24
06-15-2013, 09:25 PM
Nowadays 6'8 PF is considered pretty undersized, so imagine a 6'4-6'5 guy...about the size of a average shooting guard dominating the paint.

RaiderLakersA's
06-15-2013, 09:27 PM
Yes, there will be another player like Sir Charles in the league. Let's be real.

Sure, Charles made a name in this league, but I'm sure he would tell you himself, he wasn't the most athletically gifted. Everything that he achieved was on will power alone. Well, will power, mien, and mouthiness. If you sat down and penned a list of the biggest, or fastest, or sharpest shooter, or best ball handler, or best rebounder, or most unstoppable scorer, or dominant low post man, or best defender, or best whatever the category may be, it will take you a minute -- a loooong minute in some cases -- before you get to Chuck.

But you WILL get to Chuck, and I think that is why he is one of the more endearing players of our era.

He was a bad, bad man. But that doesn't make him irreplaceable, or the broken mold. You just need the right man who wants it more than the other guy and plays like it 98.9% of the time. That was the secret ingredient to Charles Barkley.

Jint.
06-15-2013, 10:14 PM
NO!! Barkley was one of a kind, a 6"5 PF who beasted

gwrighter
06-15-2013, 10:35 PM
Closest guy I see resembling his skill set is Anthony Bennett. 6'7 on a good day, 250lbs, Great Athleticism.

IDunknown
06-15-2013, 10:45 PM
Yes, there will be another player like Sir Charles in the league. Let's be real.

Sure, Charles made a name in this league, but I'm sure he would tell you himself, he wasn't the most athletically gifted. Everything that he achieved was on will power alone. Well, will power, mien, and mouthiness. If you sat down and penned a list of the biggest, or fastest, or sharpest shooter, or best ball handler, or best rebounder, or most unstoppable scorer, or dominant low post man, or best defender, or best whatever the category may be, it will take you a minute -- a loooong minute in some cases -- before you get to Chuck.

But you WILL get to Chuck, and I think that is why he is one of the more endearing players of our era.

He was a bad, bad man. But that doesn't make him irreplaceable, or the broken mold. You just need the right man who wants it more than the other guy and plays like it 98.9% of the time. That was the secret ingredient to Charles Barkley.

He was crazy athletic in his prime.