PDA

View Full Version : Kid Singing National Anthem Subjected to Racist Taunts

jam
06-14-2013, 04:47 AM
I believe in lawful entry and am opposed to illegal immigration, but this kid is a US born citizen:

http://nba.si.com/2013/06/13/sebastien-de-la-cruz-racist-comments-gregg-popovich-san-antonio-spurs-miami-heat-2013-nba-finals/?sct=uk_t2_a6

Apparently, there were a slew of racist comments posted on twitter immediately after or even as he was singing the national anthem.

There are some extremely stupid basketball fans out there.

sunsfan88
06-14-2013, 04:59 AM
Ah the irony behind Popovich's response to the racist remarks and the thread here on the PSD about how Popovich's only likes foreign players....

RiceOnTheRun
06-14-2013, 06:03 AM
Despicable. How are you going to mock a kid singing the American national anthem and claim to be American.

Especially since most of the people talking **** are white trash who are the ones that don't deserve this country (http://www.dailydot.com/news/sebastian-de-la-cruz-spurs-heat-national-anthem/)

setman2000
06-14-2013, 06:15 AM
I believe in lawful entry and am opposed to illegal immigration, but this kid is a US born citizen:

http://nba.si.com/2013/06/13/sebastien-de-la-cruz-racist-comments-gregg-popovich-san-antonio-spurs-miami-heat-2013-nba-finals/?sct=uk_t2_a6

Apparently, there were a slew of racist comments posted on twitter immediately after or even as he was singing the national anthem.

They're called Republicans/Teabaggers and everyone here knows that's the truth.

JC_
06-14-2013, 09:57 AM
One thing that makes it worse is you have reporters asking the kid after what he thinks about people saying racist things about him. Hey reporters, he doesn't need to hear about this **** you stupid ****s.

kdspurman
06-14-2013, 09:57 AM
Ah the irony behind Popovich's response to the racist remarks and the thread here on the PSD about how Popovich's only likes foreign players....

I think you severely misunderstood Pop's point if you think that was the gist of it....

RLundi
06-14-2013, 09:59 AM
One thing that makes it worse is you have reporters asking the kid after what he thinks about people saying racist things about him. Hey reporters, he doesn't need to hear about this **** you stupid ****s.

+1

Hellcrooner
06-14-2013, 10:00 AM
It is really 2013? :facepalm:

Swashcuff
06-14-2013, 10:34 AM
I think you severely misunderstood Pop's point if you think that was the gist of it....

Even so there is nothing racist if he indeed preferred international players (or their style, understanding, willingness etc) since there are players of every single race that are internationally born.

kdspurman
06-14-2013, 10:38 AM
Even so there is nothing racist if he indeed preferred international players (or their style, understanding, willingness etc) since there are players of every single race that are internationally born.

Yea, exactly. I don't think there's anything racist about it, but people are choosing to portray it that way. Just ignorance

tp13baby
06-14-2013, 10:52 AM

This is stereotyping.

DreamShaker
06-14-2013, 12:14 PM
Funny thing is, as a guy who has lived in that part of Texas, it is most hispanic people. People asking "why is a hispanic kid up there" really needs to look at the culture, history, and population of that region. There are generations of Mexican Americans there who were born here, and contribute richly to the Spurs organization, the city, and our state. Everyone who assumes every hispanic person just swam over here is beyond stupid.

ATX
06-14-2013, 12:20 PM

I was listening to this on the radio after game 3. So extremely sad that people were making those kinds of comments in a society built on immigrants about a 10 year Hispanic boy. Very shameful and disturbing comments. Those people are a disgrace and cowards, as they closed their accounts as the comments caught ire. Unfortunatley there is way too much hatred and ignorance in this country, which sadly is echoed on PSD all too often by a certain few.

DreamShaker
06-14-2013, 12:23 PM
BTW, not to get political, but I really don't mind good, hard working people coming over here to escape violence and corruption and poverty to find opportunity in this country. I know not all of Mexico is like that, but the people that are trying to better their lives, I don't blame them totally if they come here illegally, even if I do agree they should pay taxes and adhear to the laws eventually.

But aside from that, even if he was illegal, he's a KID.

Snakeyestx
06-14-2013, 12:29 PM
You know.. my only beef was why'd he get to do it twice? Isn't Christina Aguilera a San Antonio native?

Wouldn't that have been more ... impactful for tv ratings?

colinskik
06-14-2013, 12:33 PM
“I would like to say that I would be shocked or surprised by the comments,” Popovich said Thursday during his pregame press conference before Game 4. “But given the fact that there’s still a significant element of bigotry and racism in our nation, I’m not surprised. It still plagues us, obviously. And what I was surprised by was how proud these idiots are of their ignorance, by printing their names next to their comments.”

Pop is an extremely well-spoken guy who continues to impress me. I’ve been trying to communicate to people of a similar ilk why they make my blood boil, but I guess my emotions have always prevented me from conveying my thoughts clearly. This is exactly what I’ve been wanting to say. There are idiots everywhere with very polarizing views, and that’s just the way the world works. But to be so outwardly proud of your bigotry, that’s just obnoxious, ignorant, and rude. Go Pop!

colinskik
06-14-2013, 12:34 PM
You know.. my only beef was why'd he get to do it twice? Isn't Christina Aguilera a San Antonio native?

Read the article. Hootie, of Hootie and the Blowfish fame, was scheduled to sing but got caught in traffic. Way to blow, Hootie. Way to blow.

Snakeyestx
06-14-2013, 12:36 PM
Read the article. Hootie, of Hootie and the Blowfish fame, was scheduled to sing but got caught in traffic. Way to blow, Hootie.

I know... it's just... local town, local talent... maybe Game 5 perhaps.

Tony_Starks
06-14-2013, 12:36 PM
No shocker to me. It's almost to be expected. The Internet is a safe haven for rednecks.

KnickaBocka.44
06-14-2013, 12:43 PM
I know... it's just... local town, local talent... maybe Game 5 perhaps.

Just looked her up on Wiki, she doesn't have any strong ties to the area. Military brat who moved around between NY, Pennsylvania, Texas and, oddly, Japan.

heyman321
06-14-2013, 12:51 PM
these racists got slammed by Gregg Popovich

RaiderLakersA's
06-14-2013, 12:58 PM
No shocker to me. It's almost to be expected. The Internet is a safe haven for rednecks.

Actually, there are lots of open-minded, non-bigoted rednecks in the world, so let's not label them all as racists.

But to your point, I agree: America is a safe haven for racist ideology even in 2013. The internet tends to bring them out in droves.

Gibby23
06-14-2013, 01:11 PM
I liked it. I even called my two daughters over 5 and 2 years old and showed them what this little kid is doing infront of all these people.

Lakers + Giants
06-14-2013, 01:19 PM
BTW, not to get political, but I really don't mind good, hard working people coming over here to escape violence and corruption and poverty to find opportunity in this country. I know not all of Mexico is like that, but the people that are trying to better their lives, I don't blame them totally if they come here illegally, even if I do agree they should pay taxes and adhear to the laws eventually.

But aside from that, even if he was illegal, he's a KID.

Exactly. Great post.

lvlheaded
06-14-2013, 01:24 PM
People are so absurd. He's an 11 year old kid doing something amazing that takes a lot of talent. He's also American born. The fact that there are people out there who feel a need to put this kid down and are incapable of being happy and proud of one of our own is where this country fails on a fundamental level.

Where this site fails on a fundamental level? Having posters who are allowed to spew things like all republicans are racist AND uneducated basketball fans. Like really? Every last one?

All that said, good for Pop.

Litchris12
06-14-2013, 01:45 PM
Crazy thing this while situation is that this kid could actually freaking sing. When I first heard him I was totally in awe.

pd1dish
06-14-2013, 01:54 PM

youre as big a part of the problem in this country as the people making racist comments. shall i say all Democrats are poor and lazy? its basically the same thing as what you said. youre just stereotyping.

the truth is that (or at least id be willing to bet that) these fans saying these things are mostly young adults/kids. most of them dont have political viewpoints or at least valid ones. stop acting like this is Republican vs. Democrat

RiceOnTheRun
06-14-2013, 03:10 PM

Oh come on, no true sports fan actually gives a **** about who's singing before a game :p

DODGERS&LAKERS
06-14-2013, 03:35 PM
I thought it was nice of Spo and Pop to go over and shake his hand after he sang. Bigotry is just a quick way of showing other people your lack of intelligence. Only people with bad upbringing still think like this.

Tony_Starks
06-14-2013, 03:58 PM
People are so absurd. He's an 11 year old kid doing something amazing that takes a lot of talent. He's also American born. The fact that there are people out there who feel a need to put this kid down and are incapable of being happy and proud of one of our own is where this country fails on a fundamental level.

Where this site fails on a fundamental level? Having posters who are allowed to spew things like all republicans are racist AND uneducated basketball fans. Like really? Every last one?

All that said, good for Pop.

Even if he wasn't American born I still wouldn't have any issue with him singing. He's a kid living out a dream, I could care less about his citizenship status.

CubsBullsBucs
06-14-2013, 04:16 PM
lol i recognize this kid from Americas Got Talent last year

CubsBullsBucs
06-14-2013, 04:19 PM
lol the way this thread is titled, it sounds like pop and spo were the ones taunting him as he sang

JdKing7
06-14-2013, 04:19 PM
The whole situation is terrible. People need to shut the **** up and get a grip on what actually matters in this world and skin color or race doesn't. He is a kid for crying out loud and never did anything to anyone to deserve such comments. Not to mention he was born in the US and belongs here just as much as anyone. People who bash him are the scum of the earth and hope they get what they deserve sooner or later. A kid don't deserve that at all. He should be able to fully enjoy the opportunity he got not come out of it feeling like **** because of ****ed up people who should rot.