PDA

View Full Version : Doc Rivers and Clippers Have Strong Mutual Interest

Clippersfan86
06-13-2013, 05:31 PM
http://m.espn.go.com/general/story?storyId=9384172&city=losangeles&src=desktop

Only problem is Ainge would likely demand insane compensation. Blockbuster trade for KG and Pierce may be revisited. Would of posted this in coach thread but nobody outside of KD uses it!

Method28
06-13-2013, 05:33 PM
Im alll for this. Ship a 1st rounder or two to Boston and call it a day.

Clippersfan86
06-13-2013, 05:38 PM

Ainge will want DJ, Bledsoe and more. I wouldnt gut the team for soon to retire players. Doc isn't THAT much better than the available coaches.

JRisdabest
06-13-2013, 05:46 PM
deandre for kg straight up :)

RaginRondo17
06-13-2013, 05:51 PM
Get those trade machines working.

Method28
06-13-2013, 05:56 PM

Ainge will want DJ, Bledsoe and more. I wouldnt gut the team for soon to retire players. Doc isn't THAT much better than the available coaches.

Oh i meant for Rivers.

I wouldn't trade anything of value for Pierce out of hopes he might be released if Rivers and KG are traded. For KG, idk....that's a tough one. DJ for KG?

Caveman508
06-13-2013, 05:56 PM
I mean, trade Doc KG and PP ( as much as that hurts to say) for

Jordon,Bledsoe,a First and a second ?

Method28
06-13-2013, 05:58 PM

Only problem is Ainge would likely demand insane compensation. Blockbuster trade for KG and Pierce may be revisited. Would of posted this in coach thread but nobody outside of KD uses it!

Is every thread u create dumb? In what world do teams get compensation for coaches leaving?

Since Rivers is under contract and would be highly sought after. I doubt Ainge let's him walk with no compensation.

kylem4711
06-13-2013, 06:01 PM
Is the coach watch thread no longer being used?

redsoxknicks
06-13-2013, 06:03 PM
Wonder why someone would want to leave the Celtics for the Clippers?

No Phil Jackson syndrome here.

Method28
06-13-2013, 06:22 PM

Is every thread u create dumb? In what world do teams get compensation for coaches leaving?

Since Rivers is under contract and would be highly sought after. I doubt Ainge let's him walk with no compensation.

Show me where in the nba cba that it says this can happen

Im not gonna sit and scroll through the cba lol

Heat were compensated with a pick and a trade of 1st round picks for Stan Van Gundy. You dont have to actually trade the.coach to agree.on compensation. If the Celts dont want Rivers to coach in LA this year. Guess what, he's not going to because he's under contract. If LA sends a couple of picks to boston for worse picks and Boston agrees to let LA speak with Doc and Boston releases doc so he can sign....same thing in my eyes.

waveycrockett
06-13-2013, 06:24 PM
Bryan Shaw is about to off himself

SlapintheClip
06-13-2013, 06:42 PM

Hey idiot before you call people out read the mother ****ing article. He's under contract and Ainge will NOT let Doc go without compensation. As Major Payne once said "Who's the dummy now!?".

Then the dummy is Espn, under nba rules, that cannot happen

Clippersfan86
06-13-2013, 06:43 PM
Coaches have been traded and can be traded.

SlapintheClip
06-13-2013, 06:43 PM

Im not gonna sit and scroll through the cba lol

Heat were compensated with a pick and a trade of 1st round picks for Stan Van Gundy. You dont have to actually trade the.coach to agree.on compensation. If the Celts dont want Rivers to coach in LA this year. Guess what, he's not going to because he's under contract. If LA sends a couple of picks to boston for worse picks and Boston agrees to let LA speak with Doc and Boston releases doc so he can sign....same thing in my eyes.

I would definitely have to see proof of this, because I don't remember any of that happening

Clippersfan86
06-13-2013, 06:44 PM

Show me where it says that. Non ESPN sources have said coaches can be traded. Still stupid to rip me for merely posting it. You should read the link before talking smack though seriously.

SlapintheClip
06-13-2013, 06:52 PM

Show me where it says that. Non ESPN sources have said coaches can be traded. Still stupid to rip me for merely posting it. You should read the link before talking smack though seriously.

When has this ever happened? 'coaches can be traded'

Espn is stupid for putting up bull crap, and ur stupid for posting it without atleast doing some background research

kduce
06-13-2013, 07:16 PM
Coaches have been traded in the passed. I didnt believe it either and thought it was stupid, but this came up in another thread somewhere and proof was given so I stood corrected.

Tony_Starks
06-13-2013, 07:22 PM
If Doc gets ahold of Cp3 and Blake it's going to be a problem.

Green_Monster
06-13-2013, 07:26 PM

Yes he is. Doc is considered a top coach by many people. Care to explain?

D_Rose1118
06-13-2013, 07:34 PM

Espn is stupid for putting up bull crap, and ur stupid for posting it without atleast doing some background research

complete ignorance on your part to still think you are right when you have everyone in a thread saying you are wrong and even doubting a major news outlet just because you are "so sure of your self".

Clippersfan86
06-13-2013, 07:40 PM
complete ignorance on your part to still think you are right when you have everyone in a thread saying you are wrong and even doubting a major news outlet just because you are "so sure of your self".

Thank you. Like Kduce said... I too was VERY skeptical and then others showed me that it's legal AND has been done. I don't remember the details.

Clippersfan86
06-13-2013, 07:41 PM
"One source familiar with the Clippers' thinking told ESPN.com the club plans to be "very aggressive" and "shake every tree" in terms of upgrading the roster this offseason."

Great to hear this.

eyeamagerm
06-13-2013, 07:43 PM
x On June 7, 2007, Miami acquired Sacramento's 2007 and Miami's 2008 second-round draft picks from Orlando as part of the hiring of Stan Van Gundy as Orlando's head coach.[79] Previously, Orlando acquired Sacramento's second-round draft pick and DeShawn Stevenson on February 19, 2004 from Utah in exchange for Gordan Giriček.[80] Earlier, Utah acquired 2004 and 2007 second-round draft picks and Keon Clark on August 3, 2003 from Sacramento in exchange for a 2004 second-round draft pick.[81] Miami used the 39th pick to draft Stanko Barać.

as per wikipedia, so according to it a coach has indeed been technically traded in the past even though he wasnt traded

RipCity32
06-13-2013, 08:32 PM
I had no idea you could trade a coach either.I watch a lot of basketball too and just learned something new.On topic though Doc Rivers would be a awesome pickup for the Clippers.If this does happen then it should be a official rebuild for Boston finally but I doubt it.

SportsFanatic10
06-13-2013, 08:38 PM
doc looking for the exit now that boston's window is slammed shut? lol

Cracka2HI!
06-14-2013, 12:53 AM
I don't think coaches can be traded. They call it compensation. I'm not sure if you can trade players for a coach. If you give up a draft pick that can be considered compensation. Either way it can and has happened and may happen again. The Celtics trio going to the Clippers make a ton of sense. I just hope The Clippers don't trade for Pierce and that contract. Trade DJ and Bled for KG, send a pick as compensation for Doc and have a wink wink deal with the Celtics and Pierce that he will be bought out and sign with the Clippers for the MLE. 2 years of KG and Pierce with Doc as coach would be really fun...if we don't have to gut the team to do it.

shep33
06-14-2013, 01:06 AM
doc looking for the exit now that boston's window is slammed shut? lol

Yeah, that's pretty lame on his part. Still got Rondo and Green with a lot of cap space coming up. But whatever I guess lol

Clippersfan86
06-14-2013, 01:17 AM
http://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/2013/06/13/sources-doc-rivers-and-clippers-have-mutual-interest-each-other/cVUaio2sV9qA3kmYdHCA1H/story.html

shep33
06-14-2013, 01:20 AM
Ainge denied Rivers from speaking to the Clips

OaklandsFinest
06-14-2013, 02:44 AM
Remember when the Raiders traded Gruden? Anyway I would lose a ton of respect for everybody involved if KG, Pierce, and Doc went to LA. In theory their big 3 happened via traditional measures (trading assets for players), not players teaming up. Mind you I'm a Heat and Warrior fan so I don't have a problem teaming up, its just all the ISH they were giving Lebron and Wade about it, seems hypocritical.

Method28
06-14-2013, 03:13 AM
Remember when the Raiders traded Gruden? Anyway I would lose a ton of respect for everybody involved if KG, Pierce, and Doc went to LA. In theory their big 3 happened via traditional measures (trading assets for players), not players teaming up. Mind you I'm a Heat and Warrior fan so I don't have a problem teaming up, its just all the ISH they were giving Lebron and Wade about it, seems hypocritical.

Well at that point it would be "different." Due to the fact that its them doing it lol

RiceOnTheRun
06-14-2013, 04:52 AM
Yeah, that's pretty lame on his part. Still got Rondo and Green with a lot of cap space coming up. But whatever I guess lol

Rondo and Green gets you a second round exit and maybe an ECF at most. Minimal chances they make it out of the East and zero chance they win a ring. Rondo is a great player, a superstar in my opinion, but he isn't the type to carry a team all by himself. He simply can't carry the offensive load. Surround him with scorers and he'll take them to a whole nother level but on his own? Nah. It's almost a requirement for any team in the East not from Miami to have a big man if they wanna compete with Hibbert and Rose. If they can pick up a dominant big man and another wing scorer, then maybe they have a chance but besides that, I see them running the mediocrity treadmill at 4/5 seed every year.

c.c.
06-14-2013, 05:02 AM
This will hurt the Rockets chances of landing Paul

kylem4711
06-14-2013, 10:24 AM
Doc's dream job is to coach the clips and win another title with kg.

http://nesn.com/2013/06/report-doc-rivers-dream-scenario-is-to-coach-clippers-win-championship-in-l-a-with-kevin-garnett/

hugepatsfan
06-14-2013, 11:37 AM
Oh i meant for Rivers.

I wouldn't trade anything of value for Pierce out of hopes he might be released if Rivers and KG are traded. For KG, idk....that's a tough one. DJ for KG?

Trading for Pierce lets you use the MLE on someone else.

BOS gets: C DeAndre Jordan, G Eric Bledsoe, F Caron Butler, G Willie Green, #25 pick
LAC gets: F Paul Pierce, F/C Kevin Garnett, Doc Rivers

Celtics won't trade KG to you guys unless they get Bledsoe back. Jordan is a nice player, but he's not a good building block. BOS would better off not taking his contract back for the rebuilding process.

todu82
06-14-2013, 11:45 AM
Could be the coach the Clippers need to take that next step. Going to be very interesting to see what happens here.

WHODAT8o8
06-14-2013, 01:03 PM
Well with CP3 and howard wanting to meet up. Im not sure what will happen then. Would cp3 rather stay with the clips with doc and potentially kg and pp? Or would he rather play with howard elsewhere? Unless the clips find cap space to sign howard which im not sure on.

RLundi
06-14-2013, 02:10 PM
Doc would be a godsend to the Clips, but it depends on the compensation, especially if it involves Bledsoe, who I want for the Magic for Afflalo :D

Slug3
06-14-2013, 02:26 PM

Just so you know Miami traded Stan van Grundy to Orlando for a 2nd round pick.

zn23
06-14-2013, 08:23 PM
Doc Rivers is definitely a coach that belongs on a contender, not some aging team like the Celtics.

Clippers are contenders, they just need a coach and a proper system. Rivers can provide that.

kobe4thewinbang
06-15-2013, 02:50 AM
What a slap in the face to Boston by Rivers if he does this.

:punish:

OceanSpray
06-15-2013, 03:00 AM
What a slap in the face to Boston by Rivers if he does this.

:punish:

Why? He's given them so much.

Cracka2HI!
06-15-2013, 03:11 AM
What would be better for the Clipps? Somehow getting Howard and having CP3, Blake, Howard, Crawford, a very capable coach like Karl, Shaw or Hollins and a bunch of scrubs...or having CP3, Blake, KG, Pierce, Crawford, Doc and a bunch of scrubs?

OceanSpray
06-15-2013, 03:22 AM
What would be better for the Clipps? Somehow getting Howard and having CP3, Blake, Howard, Crawford, a very capable coach like Karl, Shaw or Hollins and a bunch of scrubs...or having CP3, Blake, KG, Pierce, Crawford, Doc and a bunch of scrubs?

Woah, I don't think Clipps can even afford to get all those pieces. Second option for sure. KG+Pierce>Howard.

Cracka2HI!
06-15-2013, 03:31 AM
Woah, I don't think Clipps can even afford to get all those pieces. Second option for sure. KG+Pierce>Howard.

How can they not? DJ, Butler and Bledsoe is about $20 mil in cap. They can afford a near max FA and CP3 at near max. I think PSD severely overrates how hard it would be for the Clippers to move DeAndre Jordan, Caron Butler with Eric Bledsoe and draft picks going with them.

Chronz
06-15-2013, 03:32 AM
what would be better for the clipps? Somehow getting howard and having cp3, blake, howard, crawford, a very capable coach like karl, shaw or hollins and a bunch of scrubs...or having cp3, blake, kg, pierce, crawford, doc and a bunch of scrubs?

as a fan, i would love either, we either steal dwight or pick up some former laker killers

Cracka2HI!
06-15-2013, 03:54 AM
as a fan, i would love either, we either steal dwight or pick up some former laker killers

Not sure the team will pull off something that massive, but I do believe they are going as hard as they can to do something big. Crazy trades are made all the time. Bled has tons of value. DJ does too. He still has huge "upside". I'm sure the team is trying to do something big...I just hope they make the right move.

hugepatsfan
06-15-2013, 10:44 AM

If you can get Dwight you do it because that's a franchise cornerstone player right there. I doubt the Lakers would be interested in S&Ting him to the other LA team. That's a bad look for them.

Pierce and KG might be older, but LA still maintains their long term flexibility. KG's contract is virtually the same as DJ's and Pierce is an expiring, just like the guy he'd replace in Butler. That's why I think it's such a great option for the Clips. It makes them a sure title contender for the next 1-2 years (depending on if KG plays 1 or 2 more seasons). They do have to give up Eric Bledsoe, but all he's ever going to be in LA is a backup so they can deal with that loss. I could be biased because I'm a Celts fan that LOVES Bledsoe as a player, but I really think this is a good move for the Clippers now and for the future.

Another option would be to deal Bledsoe for a guy like Aaron Affalo. But he doesn't elevate them from mid seed playoff team to a legitimate favorite like Pierce and KG would. He'd be able to stick around longer, but he probably wouldn't make the impact in 5 years on the team that Pierce and KG could in 2.

Clippersfan86
06-15-2013, 11:36 AM
If you can get Dwight you do it because that's a franchise cornerstone player right there. I doubt the Lakers would be interested in S&Ting him to the other LA team. That's a bad look for them.

Pierce and KG might be older, but LA still maintains their long term flexibility. KG's contract is virtually the same as DJ's and Pierce is an expiring, just like the guy he'd replace in Butler. That's why I think it's such a great option for the Clips. It makes them a sure title contender for the next 1-2 years (depending on if KG plays 1 or 2 more seasons). They do have to give up Eric Bledsoe, but all he's ever going to be in LA is a backup so they can deal with that loss. I could be biased because I'm a Celts fan that LOVES Bledsoe as a player, but I really think this is a good move for the Clippers now and for the future.

Another option would be to deal Bledsoe for a guy like Aaron Affalo. But he doesn't elevate them from mid seed playoff team to a legitimate favorite like Pierce and KG would. He'd be able to stick around longer, but he probably wouldn't make the impact in 5 years on the team that Pierce and KG could in 2.

Good post. I agree that while this only gives us a 2 year title window for now... it also gives massive long term flexibility. If KG retires and Pierce is signed for MLE even after this coming season... the Clippers suddenly have max cap space just about to fill in the holes.