PDA

View Full Version : Popovich prefers foreign players

FOBolous
06-13-2013, 05:31 PM
http://www.thepostgame.com/blog/dish/201306/popovich-says-foreign-players-are-fundamentally-harder-working-most-americans

"...when Pop looks at American talent he sees many players who "have been coddled since eighth, ninth, 10th grade by various factions or groups of people. But the foreign kids don't live with that. So they don't feel entitled," he says, noting how many clubs work on fundamentals in two-a-day practices, each lasting up to three hours. "Now, you can't paint it with too wide of a brush, but in general, that's a fact."

True Sports Fan
06-13-2013, 05:32 PM
Nothing wrong with that. It's obviously worked for him

b@llhog24
06-13-2013, 05:35 PM
Racist.

kdspurman
06-13-2013, 05:44 PM
I get what he's saying... Btw, it does state "Now, you can't paint it with too wide of a brush, but in general, that's a fact." so of course it doesn't apply in all cases. But it's an interesting theory.

zn23
06-13-2013, 05:49 PM
Racist.

I was just going to say, what a Bigot Popovich is.

ChitownBears22
06-13-2013, 05:50 PM
Whatever works for him. Strategy seems sound for the past 16 years.

More-Than-Most
06-13-2013, 06:05 PM
He really isn't wrong though. If he wants the biggest bang for his buck that further gets him the best results then more power to him. Its more a shot at our country than a race thing. America is Fat and Lazy

Chronz
06-13-2013, 06:09 PM
Interesting observation

TrueFan420
06-13-2013, 06:12 PM
Racist.

Race is something that was socially invented in order to categorize people. In reality there is only one race the human race. The differences are in ethnicities not races.

DreamShaker
06-13-2013, 06:31 PM
Race is something that was socially invented in order to categorize people. In reality there is only one race the human race. The differences are in ethnicities not races.

Pretty sure he is joking, but you are right. Cultural differences are the real factor he is talking about. Duncan, Parker, and Diaw are all black, but are all from different cultures.

DreamShaker
06-13-2013, 06:31 PM
Double post.

davids22
06-13-2013, 06:39 PM
Pretty sure he is joking, but you are right. Cultural differences are the real factor he is talking about. Duncan, Parker, and Diaw are all black, but are all from different cultures.

Duncan also isn't "thuggish" or portray that sense of "swag" that a lot of modern black players portray. He's very clean, soft-spoken, not flashy, etc. He's the type that works hard and the type of guy Pop wants in his system.

I don't blame the guy. Pop is right 100%. And it's not a knock on race as it is just a knock on the type of players that American culture allows itself to create (which is entitled pricks).

He just doesn't want any hotheads on his team.

b@llhog24
06-13-2013, 06:41 PM

That's not what the term means.

nycericanguy
06-13-2013, 06:42 PM
that's racist...

ChitownBears22
06-13-2013, 06:43 PM

shhhhhhhh.......he was really proud of that post. Someone must have just finished up a sociology class lol.

GiantsSwaGG
06-13-2013, 06:45 PM
Racist.

This

*Superman*
06-13-2013, 06:47 PM

ethnicist.

b@llhog24
06-13-2013, 06:54 PM

While I was obviously joking, dictionary.com's definition touches on the second part as well.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/racism?s=t

shhhhhhhh.......he was really proud of that post. Someone must have just finished up a sociology class lol.

Lol.

Lil Rhody
06-13-2013, 06:54 PM
He really isn't wrong though. If he wants the biggest bang for his buck that further gets him the best results then more power to him. Its more a shot at our country than a race thing. America is Fat and Lazy

I don't think that's what he is getting at.
He is talking about kids in school that get things handed to them and treated like gods because they give the town or city a chance to win big time. I think we all have witnessed this in our lives or at least been apart of it. If you don't think it happens well you were that kid and hey hope it worked out for you

Idk maybe that's just my tale but I've seen entitlement for that stuff and it gets people no where in real life

More-Than-Most
06-13-2013, 07:05 PM
I don't think that's what he is getting at.
He is talking about kids in school that get things handed to them and treated like gods because they give the town or city a chance to win big time. I think we all have witnessed this in our lives or at least been apart of it. If you don't think it happens well you were that kid and hey hope it worked out for you

Idk maybe that's just my tale but I've seen entitlement for that stuff and it gets people no where in real life

Yea I got that as well but again its our country as a whole. If your good at any one of the Main sports you will be coddled and talked about for years...See James/Harper/Crosby before they even got into highschool. Also other countries players do not have the same luxuries as we do over here and might have more of a will to be great because they want to come over here. I just do not see how its racist.... Its a shot at america over anything else in my opinion but its also true.

heyman321
06-13-2013, 07:12 PM
ESPN headline: Popovich hates black people.

barreleffact
06-13-2013, 07:20 PM
Yea I got that as well but again its our country as a whole. If your good at any one of the Main sports you will be coddled and talked about for years...See James/Harper/Crosby before they even got into highschool. Also other countries players do not have the same luxuries as we do over here and might have more of a will to be great because they want to come over here. I just do not see how its racist.... Its a shot at america over anything else in my opinion but its also true.
Those are a few people though. Most athletes are treated daintily but nowhere near that star level. Hell, most of our athletes either don't make it to college or definitely not to the league. Many starters and some subs are not humble by any stretch (to include D Rose- I'm from TN and I know how he was at Memphis and Im sure Durant isnt humble either. He just has the media darling anti-Lebron role right now. Wait until his first missteps and see how quickly they turn on him like they did Lebron) Sorry for the tangent.

The point I definitely and fully agree with is the fundamental portion and work ethic. People don't often work as hard as the could or rely far too much on athleticism. I notice more and more that people are either highly athletic or highly fundamental/elite shooting. it is rarely both. Most players that come from overseas are drilled more toward shooting and fundamentals IMO.

SeoulBeatz
06-13-2013, 07:30 PM
Duncan also isn't "thuggish" or portray that sense of "swag" that a lot of modern black players portray. He's very clean, soft-spoken, not flashy, etc. He's the type that works hard and the type of guy Pop wants in his system.

I don't blame the guy. Pop is right 100%. And it's not a knock on race as it is just a knock on the type of players that American culture allows itself to create (which is entitled pricks).

He just doesn't want any hotheads on his team.

Nailed it on the head.

People calling racism, i hope you realize black people exist outside of the U.S.

SeoulBeatz
06-13-2013, 07:31 PM
ethnicist.

that's more like it!

He hates Americans!

ChitownBears22
06-13-2013, 07:32 PM
Nailed it on the head.

People calling racism, i hope you realize black people exist outside of the U.S.

"Black people were invented by Americans"

-Greg Popovich

Kashmir13579
06-13-2013, 07:37 PM
seems legit

championships
06-13-2013, 07:41 PM
Well American athletes do carry around self entitlement.
Its natural though when people are in your ear as early as pre teen years.
Then your a stud and loved through high school.
Then you practically get a free ride to a prestige college for a couple years.

How can you not be big headed going into the pros?

topdog
06-13-2013, 07:48 PM
It's a cultural commentary and it's not wrong. Look at a guy like Michael Beasley or Andray Blatche who never had to get better because they were told from a young age how great they were and their size and athleticism allowed them to dominate the competition. Euros generally have more to prove in trying to make it in the NBA and have lesser roles on their teams before coming over.

jon32
06-13-2013, 07:59 PM
I dunno if im reading it wrong but i dont get how its racist at all. it just sounds like people are mad because he said he doesnt like coaching with americans as much as europeans.....i didnt see anything about him saying he likes using white ppl over black people ??

Hawkeye15
06-13-2013, 08:00 PM
I get what he's saying... Btw, it does state "Now, you can't paint it with too wide of a brush, but in general, that's a fact." so of course it doesn't apply in all cases. But it's an interesting theory.

agreed. Foreign players have much more of a "team" mentality. Our AAU systems, and one and done have made our players come more from the individual perspective. That being said, we provide more physical talent for the game than other countries in general.

topdog
06-13-2013, 08:02 PM
I dunno if im reading it wrong but i dont get how its racist at all. it just sounds like people are mad because he said he doesnt like coaching with americans as much as europeans.....i didnt see anything about him saying he likes using white ppl over black people ??

Just classic PSD responses to an intelligent analysis/subject. I'll add to Pops commentary the fact that Danny Green and Gary Neal are American players who had to face a humbling process before making an impact in the NBA and Kawhi Leonard was not highly recruited.

5ass
06-13-2013, 08:11 PM
Racist.

Rapist.

SportsFanatic10
06-13-2013, 08:11 PM
hmmm, never thought of it like that before. it does make sense, but in general while they might have the better skills/work ethic the usa players usually are the better athletes.

kdspurman
06-13-2013, 08:25 PM
agreed. Foreign players have much more of a "team" mentality. Our AAU systems, and one and done have made our players come more from the individual perspective. That being said, we provide more physical talent for the game than other countries in general.

Pretty much. If some of these players these days had that same chemistry and team mentality imagine the quality of basketball we could see. The physical talent + the team chemistry and trust would be even more fun to watch imo.

TrueFan420
06-13-2013, 08:28 PM
I know what the term means. But it's kind of a stupid term if race is made up.

Never took a sociology class. It's a quasi science. If snapple can share facts so can I.

D-Leethal
06-13-2013, 08:36 PM
Seems to make perfect sense to me.

FOBolous
06-13-2013, 09:48 PM
Racist.

how this is racist? racist is a term that describes an inherent hate or discrimination someone has towards another race. i fail to see how preferring foreign, a term used to describe someone of a different nationality, players equates to racism?

ESPN headline: Popovich hates black people.

Duncan and Parker are both foreign and they are both black. i'm not understanding how you people are equating nationality to race? do yall think black people only live in the US or something? do yall think all the foreign players in the NBA are white or something?

Hellcrooner
06-13-2013, 10:21 PM
Pretty funny that its all butthurt Racist? ( wtf? id swear there are people from all reaces all around all those "foreign" countries) acussations.

When in reality if he is knocking something is the H:s and NCAA levels of coaching in teh states.

And that my friends is something he is 100% right about they are not going a good job in terms of creating non.self entitled players and fundamentaly sound players.

b@llhog24
06-13-2013, 10:43 PM
Nailed it on the head.

1) Nobody specified black people
2) I'm not from the US and I'm black, so I'd consider myself pretty well versed on being black outside of the US.

Rapist.

Lol, we're not going there.

I know what the term means. But it's kind of a stupid term if race is made up.

We'll agree to disagree, some people like classification. :shrug:

Never took a sociology class. It's a quasi science. If snapple can share facts so can I.

Lol.

how this is racist? racist is a term that describes an inherent hate or discrimination someone has towards another race. i fail to see how preferring foreign, a term used to describe someone of a different nationality, players equates to racism?

Duncan and Parker are both foreign and they are both black. i'm not understanding how you people are equating nationality to race? do yall think black people only live in the US or something? do yall think all the foreign players in the NBA are white or something?

Maybe in it's literal form, but colloquialism does wonders for words nowadays. So it is racist.

4milesperday
06-13-2013, 10:55 PM
Simply, Popovich prefers grown men he can yell at and won't yell back. Good strategy

Raps18-19 Champ
06-13-2013, 11:36 PM
Let him do what he wants.

TrueFan420
06-14-2013, 12:10 AM

Well technically Timmy is from the USA. The Virgin Islands are a protectorate of the USA.

jezzyman05
06-14-2013, 12:17 AM
Racist.

This is what's wrong with people today....dumb just plain dumb

Yes Popovich is right and to be honest with you I completely agree, Americans especially this generation has this sense of entitlement that really pisses me off and it's not just star athletes its young Americans as well.

Example, I was a Military Drill Instructor for the Air Force ( MTI) for 6 years from 2005-2011 and there has been a difference between recruits in 2003 and 2011, recruits now expect to be rewarded while putting in the minimum amount of work and they expect to get maximum reward for it.

Now I'm retired and a hiring manger for a Fortune 500 company and there have been a bunch of times that interveiwees want to be offers senior positions or executive positions (with no job experience mind you) or they don't want the job.

Back to the league look at celebrity and sports stars you see people like Justin Beiber, Taylor Swift, Dwight Howard.

I agree with Popovich.

LongWayFromHome
06-14-2013, 01:40 AM
This is accurate. I work with a pretty serious basketball program and guys with "top" talent don't even come close to their potential because of this fact. A player that should play at DUKE will play some much lesser D-1 because he's "too good" to try his hardest.

THE GIPPER
06-14-2013, 01:48 AM
Lol at people calling him "racist" or "bigoted". He's simply stating cultural differences that appear to be accurate it mosts cases both inside and outside of basketball.

OceanSpray
06-14-2013, 02:16 AM
I'm not surprised. Americans are born with the luxury of all kinds. The hardship of other countries build people fundamentally.

Bullsfan22
06-14-2013, 04:32 AM
Easier to mold, not shocking at all to me. An american kid with Manu's talent would have asked for a trade and turned into Harden before there was a Harden. POP is a great coach but he is an even greater at personality evaluating. He created such a strong foundation he can afford to add aging stars and former bad apples without having any problems.

sunsfan88
06-14-2013, 05:02 AM

How the hell is Tony Parker black?

RiceOnTheRun
06-14-2013, 05:37 AM
American athletes are more athletic because all the quick, fast guys that play basketball in America, would be playing soccer in almost any other country. Generally, many star foreigners have roots in basketball and therefore play it from a very young age. While they might not jump the highest or run the fastest, they've been practicing that jumper since childhood. Most kids in America don't really practice the fundamentals like they do until they start playing in middle school or so. Before that it's usually just playing pickup games at the park that really gets them into it. JR Smith is a perfect example. From a young age, his father made him train his jumper, to the point where he can make even the most awkward, off-balance shots because it's just another habit for him. However, being around that AAU circuit and being highly praised all the time leads him to where he is today. Partying the night before playoff games, taking generally being a "chucker" and overall reckless. Pop would have none of that.

Also, like he said, these guys have been competing with professional players since they were 15-16, practicing 6-8 hours a day. That gives them discipline and the fundamentals which most American players don't have at that age. Nobody is going to praise and coddle a player for playing well, because that's only expected of them. They also understand the concept of team-first and generally are willing to sacrifice more of the personal glory, which is what the Spurs is all about.

b@llhog24
06-14-2013, 06:12 AM
This is what's wrong with people today....dumb just plain dumb

Yes Popovich is right and to be honest with you I completely agree, Americans especially this generation has this sense of entitlement that really pisses me off and it's not just star athletes its young Americans as well.

Example, I was a Military Drill Instructor for the Air Force ( MTI) for 6 years from 2005-2011 and there has been a difference between recruits in 2003 and 2011, recruits now expect to be rewarded while putting in the minimum amount of work and they expect to get maximum reward for it.

Now I'm retired and a hiring manger for a Fortune 500 company and there have been a bunch of times that interveiwees want to be offers senior positions or executive positions (with no job experience mind you) or they don't want the job.

Back to the league look at celebrity and sports stars you see people like Justin Beiber, Taylor Swift, Dwight Howard.

I agree with Popovich.

He's still a racist.

IndyRealist
06-14-2013, 06:20 AM
Because in other countries, the players with physical traits that would be great for basketball end up playing soccer, unless they're over 6'8".

And AAU was the worst thing to happen to basketball, ever.