PDA

View Full Version : Spoelstra considering starting Mike Miller tonight

kdspurman
06-13-2013, 02:25 PM
There's no game thread yet so figured I'd start a new thread. *(feel free to merge in the GT once it's open)

It's interesting because after the last game he said the only thing they needed to focus on was defense and not to worry about the offense. It seems this move would kind of contradict that statement a little. Especially because Haslem has played Duncan pretty well thus far.

-- Looking to jump-start a sluggish offense, Miami Heat coach Erik Spoelstra is considering changing his starting lineup for Game 4 of the NBA Finals and inserting the hot-shooting Mike Miller, sources said Thursday.

http://espn.go.com/nba/playoffs/2013/story/_/id/9380625/2013-nba-finals-miami-heat-consider-moving-mike-miller-starting-lineup-game-4-sources-say

mjt20mik
06-13-2013, 02:29 PM
good to see him making adjustments

--23--
06-13-2013, 02:31 PM
I always felt when a team changes their starting lineup in a series to match up with another team, you got them where you want them.

FYL_McVeezy
06-13-2013, 02:32 PM
I always felt when a team changes their starting lineup in a series to match up with another team, you got them where you want them.

THIS!

Most recently we saw this in the NY vs Indy series.....huge blunder by Coach Woodson :facepalm:

Raps18-19 Champ
06-13-2013, 02:33 PM
The sad part is that they are replacing Haslem, and not Wade.

Now you have Lebron guarding Duncan.

Jarvo
06-13-2013, 02:33 PM
Only time of the season Miller is worth his money.

Minimal
06-13-2013, 02:36 PM
The way Miller has been shooting in the finals, he definetely deserves to start and get more minutes.

Pierzynski4Prez
06-13-2013, 02:44 PM
So chalmers/wade/miller/lebron/bosh is what they are going to go with?

Chronz
06-13-2013, 02:46 PM
To those speaking of adjustments, is this really adjusting if they are simply reverting to something that has won them a title in the past?

This whole Haslem+Bosh lineup wasnt a part of their regular season rotation AT ALL, then last post season it was suppose to go down with that lineup, but the Bosh injury was a revelation for Spo, he put Battier at the 4 and small ball was born for them. They rode that pony hard, this is kinda like going back to it.

I would actually rather them keep the bigs and replace Wade but I bet Haslem is the odd man out.

Chronz
06-13-2013, 02:46 PM

Unless Spo has the stones to bench Wade, yep

SteBO
06-13-2013, 02:52 PM
Except Miami wouldn't be matching up with the Spurs at all with this move.....if anything I kinda like the move because LeBron would then be required to move around off the ball more and/or post up more. That said, I'm more concerned with our defense, and that LBJ/Duncan matchup will end up being either a genius move by Spo, or a huge coaching blunder. Time will tell.....

kozelkid
06-13-2013, 02:54 PM
Going small is playing right into the Spurs' hands IMO. As chronz already mentioned, I think placing Wade at the sixth man role is the better option...

rhd420
06-13-2013, 03:00 PM
Except Miami wouldn't be matching up with the Spurs at all with this move.....if anything I kinda like the move because LeBron would then be required to move around off the ball more and/or post up more. That said, I'm more concerned with our defense, and that LBJ/Duncan matchup will end up being either a genius move by Spo, or a huge coaching blunder. Time will tell.....

Part ways, the move itself isn't crucial as more so Parker's health going into game 4
As noted, time will tell in terms of the move - heck, Spo's in a no win situation here at this point, if he does nothing he's a idiot, if he does the wrong thing he's a idiot, so might as well give it a shot at potentially doing the right thing.

Tony_Starks
06-13-2013, 03:02 PM
Risky move. Miller could get hot and force Spurs to actually come out of that zone. OR they could say "Miller go for 50 who cares" and continue to pack the paint which would make Lebron even less effective.

jam
06-13-2013, 03:07 PM
Exactly. Especially if you want to see the spurs win.

good to see him making adjustments

Slug3
06-13-2013, 03:12 PM
I know UD hasnt done much on offense, but he has done a decent job on Duncun on D. I hope he doesnt start going crazy. But Lebron does want to be the best defensive player.

kdspurman
06-13-2013, 03:16 PM
They'll probably try and put Lebron on Duncan. That'd be my guess

Longhornfan1234
06-13-2013, 03:24 PM
LeBron can shut down Duncan, but I don't want him wasting his energy.

kdspurman
06-13-2013, 03:28 PM

That's just golden stuff there man.

Longhornfan1234
06-13-2013, 03:45 PM
That's just golden stuff there man.

We will see soon, brah.

B'sCeltsPatsSox
06-13-2013, 03:51 PM
Sounds like LeBron is starting at center tonight as well. Should be fun.

ILLUSIONIST^248
06-13-2013, 04:01 PM

Disaster waiting to happen.

ghettosean
06-13-2013, 04:08 PM

:laugh:

Yeah and Lebron and gaurd Hibbert too... GTFO!

Longhornfan1234
06-13-2013, 04:10 PM
:laugh:

Yeah and Lebron and gaurd Hibbert too... GTFO!

Hibbert is bigger, stronger, and more physical than Duncan.

still1ballin
06-13-2013, 04:11 PM
Lebron is gonna wear out guarding Duncan while carrying the offensive load. I would just take out Chalmers and let Lebron run the point.

ghettosean
06-13-2013, 04:12 PM
If Lebron tries to gaurd Duncan this is going to be a huge disaster for the heat... Nevermind that Duncan is taller than LBJ but he is mentally on another level and I can see him tricking Lebron into some stupid fouls.

It's gonna be a fun game to watch tonight if this is how the start the game.

h2r09
06-13-2013, 04:13 PM
i think the more important part of this move is that lebron is now playing the 4 from the get go and he will be a force on the board and this is making the spurs put splitter or duncan on lebron or someone smaller from the beginning

ChitownBears22
06-13-2013, 04:13 PM
Not sure if I like this. I would like Miller to get more minutes, but not at the sake of defense. If he should be replacing anyone it should be Wade. Wade has been horrible at protecting the 3 point line. Usually after a player goes 5/5 one night you should guard him at the line, Wade decided against this with Green and got murdered.

IndyRealist
06-13-2013, 04:14 PM
*sniff* I smell desperation.

ghettosean
06-13-2013, 04:16 PM
Hibbert is bigger, stronger, and more physical than Duncan.

They averaged the same numbers in the playoffs except that Duncan has one more assist... The production is pretty much the same for both the only difference is that Duncan is a much smarter player than Hibbert and I see Lebron getting warn down early or getting into foul trouble but I suppose we will see.

ChitownBears22
06-13-2013, 04:17 PM
Why is it desparate when Spo makes adjustments, but when Pop gives Tiago more minutes over Diaw it is a genius move? Miami made adjustments like this last year against OKC and it seemed to work out just fine.

Longhornfan1234
06-13-2013, 04:20 PM
They averaged the same numbers in the playoffs except that Duncan has one more assist... The production is pretty much the same for both the only difference is that Duncan is a much smarter player than Hibbert and I see Lebron getting warn down early or getting into foul trouble but I suppose we will see.

Duncan: 13 points per game and 37% FG. Hibbert: 22 and 56%.

Hibbert is a way tougher match up for the Heat.

ghettosean
06-13-2013, 04:38 PM
Duncan: 13 points per game and 37% FG. Hibbert: 22 and 56%.

Hibbert is a way tougher match up for the Heat.

I guess NBA.Com got it wrong :facepalm:

http://www.nba.com/playerfile/tim_duncan/

http://www.nba.com/playerfile/roy_hibbert/

Looking at this series now I think the bigger obsticle is Duncan.... Even though he's 37 he's still the best PF//// One of the best C's of all time.

Either way Hibbert had his way and I'm not seeing the answer for Duncan being Lebron but I guess well find out. Hope LBJ doesn't get in foul trouble early or else this is over in the 1st half.
(correction to above I thought your statement was in regards to there playoff performance which is what I was referring to not just there play against the heat).

mjt20mik
06-13-2013, 05:23 PM
Exactly. Especially if you want to see the spurs win.

I'm sure SA would make adjustments too. No way would they leave Duncan and Splitter on Lebron and Bosh. I'm sure they would have to go small too.

kdspurman
06-13-2013, 05:27 PM
I'm sure SA would make adjustments too. No way would they leave Duncan and Splitter on Lebron and Bosh. I'm sure they would have to go small too.

Splitter would likely guard either Miller or Wade. My guess is if it's Wade, he will give him 5-6 feet and dare him to shoot, or have him drive and have enough space to contest his shot at the rim. Because Splitter is mobile enough and Wade not being himself, it might not be a total disaster. (Splitter often guarded guards in the GS series off of switches)

Against Miller, he's just got to glue himself to him lol.

I'm sure if Pop sees Miami having success 2-3 minutes in, he'll quickly make a sub to go smaller. He'd love any reason to go small quite frankly :laugh2:

ILLUSIONIST^248
06-13-2013, 05:53 PM
If Lebron tries to gaurd Duncan this is going to be a huge disaster for the heat... Nevermind that Duncan is taller than LBJ but he is mentally on another level and I can see him tricking Lebron into some stupid fouls.

It's gonna be a fun game to watch tonight if this is how the start the game.

IKR, I can't wait.

tredigs
06-13-2013, 06:04 PM

Does he get to use a broom?

Iron24th
06-13-2013, 06:41 PM
Risky move. Miller could get hot and force Spurs to actually come out of that zone. OR they could say "Miller go for 50 who cares" and continue to pack the paint which would make Lebron even less effective.

Or miller could start missing, so they still pack the paint and everything is lost for miami.

WITZ
06-13-2013, 08:20 PM
Sacrificing Defense for Offense, if it happens Duncan should be happy about that.

SportsFanatic10
06-13-2013, 08:25 PM
probably a good move, opens things up for duncan though. but at least they have some floor spacing on offense, and just maybe miller will knock down a couple early 3s and they won't have to dig out of an early hole like they always seem to with their slow starts.

SportsFanatic10
06-13-2013, 08:27 PM

i'd say usually that's the case, but their are exceptions. such as dallas moving barea into the starting lineup mid finals vs the heat in 2011. haslem started most of this year, but battier did last year in the playoffs, and since his shot disappeared the last couple weeks miller is taking his spot is how i look at it.

SportsFanatic10
06-13-2013, 08:35 PM
i don't get some of the wade hate i've seen in here, he was actually the heats best player the last 2 games in the first half. last game he had 12 points and 5 assists off drive and kicks in the first half. now just for this series i could understand the bench role some are suggesting because of his injury limiting him to only being effective for stretches of games, but i think some of you are taking it to the extreme.

ChitownBears22
06-13-2013, 08:37 PM
i don't get some of the wade hate i've seen in here, he was actually the heats best player the last 2 games in the first half. last game he had 12 points and 5 assists off drive and kicks in the first half. now just for this series i could understand the bench role some are suggesting because of his injury limiting him to only being effective for stretches of games, but i think some of you are taking it to the extreme.

Reason I have been hating on Wade, Defense. The guy has failed to deny Green open looks for 3's. Neal as well. It has been pathetic. Offensively he holds the ball too long to try and make something happen, so we are forced to take late shotclock low percentage jumpshots. It needs to change, quickly.

SportsFanatic10
06-13-2013, 08:40 PM
Reason I have been hating on Wade, Defense. The guy has failed to deny Green open looks for 3's. Neal as well. It has been pathetic. Offensively he holds the ball too long to try and make something happen, so we are forced to take late shotclock low percentage jumpshots. It needs to change, quickly.

wade's defense hasn't been great at the 3pt line but neither has the team as a whole and i doubt miller does a better job of that. and lebron is guilty of that 2nd part way more then wade, wade hardly gets the ball actually lol.

ChitownBears22
06-13-2013, 08:42 PM
wade's defense hasn't been great at the 3pt line but neither has the team as a whole and i doubt miller does a better job of that. and lebron is guilty of that 2nd part way more then wade, wade hardly gets the ball actually lol.

I watch Wade run into the corner, do his odd little euro-step, realize there are 3 big men in front of him then just throw the ball up. the offense just doesn't flow as well through Wade.

JC_
06-13-2013, 08:44 PM

I agree Wade needs to be better on d but a lot of those 3's were with Mike Miller defending.

Shane Battier should be playing starters minutes unless he's injured or something. He had to guard David West last series which was a terrible matchup and he probably got tons of bruises from it but he should have been playing big minutes from the start of this series.

SportsFanatic10
06-14-2013, 01:42 AM
I watch Wade run into the corner, do his odd little euro-step, realize there are 3 big men in front of him then just throw the ball up. the offense just doesn't flow as well through Wade.

the offense flows at it's best through wade actually, providing hes healthy.

OceanSpray
06-14-2013, 02:15 AM
Mike Miller has been surprisingly good on defense. I'd like to see Battier play but he really needs to knock those threes down.