PDA

View Full Version : Should the NBA change the finals 2-3-2 homecourt format?

lakerboy
06-12-2013, 06:33 PM
Your thoughts!

Iron24th
06-12-2013, 06:44 PM
I don't think so, I like this format, it changes a little bit from previous rounds.

THE MTL
06-12-2013, 06:53 PM
In the end I dont think it matters because the better team almost always win. But I do hate the format.

SportsFanatic10
06-12-2013, 06:54 PM
absolutely i've always hated it, the entire playoffs should be the same.

More-Than-Most
06-12-2013, 07:00 PM
Home court in my opinion should be 3-2-2.... It would make home court worth getting. I hate that for having the better record say in the first round when a team like the heat won 60 plus games and a team like the sixers are 500 at best and its only 4-3 In terms of home court.

JordansBulls
06-12-2013, 07:02 PM
What is the difference? If you split the first two games at home and then lose 3 straight on the road you wouldn't win the series anyway.

ChitownBears22
06-12-2013, 07:02 PM
Home court in my opinion should be 3-2-2.... It would make home court worth getting. I hate that for having the better record say in the first round when a team like the heat won 60 plus games and a team like the sixers are 500 at best and its only 4-3 In terms of home court.

HCA should get 5 games while the lower team gets 2? :facepalm:

ChitownBears22
06-12-2013, 07:03 PM
What is the difference? If you split the first two games at home and then lose 3 straight on the road you wouldn't win the series anyway.

I think it just the fact that there are 3 home games in a row for team. I really don't care either way. I just want it changed for continuity reasons.

More-Than-Most
06-12-2013, 07:06 PM
HCA should get 5 games while the lower team gets 2? :facepalm:

Yup... 4-3 is not a big enough prize for teams that dominate and earn the top seed.

ChitownBears22
06-12-2013, 07:07 PM
Yup... 4-3 is not a big enough prize for teams that dominate and earn the top seed.

Yeah it is the finals. Usually you have the top teams in the finals. Meaning a 1-5 game difference in final record. Why should a team be given a huge advantage like that because of a couple of games in the regular season?

Lim
06-12-2013, 07:12 PM
its kind of stupid that the team with the worst record gets 3 straight home games. wtf is up with that?

lamzoka
06-12-2013, 07:16 PM
i think the main reason for the 2-3-2 format is because of the traveling from east to west and vice versa.

MyDRoseLikeDeng
06-12-2013, 07:21 PM
If you earned the best record in the league in the regular season, I think that should give u an advantage in The Finals as well. Having to go on the road for 3 straight games in an extremely hostile environment is tough on anybody, and i think they should change it to 2-2-1-1-1

JordansBulls
06-12-2013, 07:31 PM
I think it just the fact that there are 3 home games in a row for team. I really don't care either way. I just want it changed for continuity reasons.
But that is a disadvantage to the home team. How many teams can win 3 in a row at home in the Finals? You pretty much have to get 2 road wins. Also it deceives the team who has the 3 middle games because if they are up 3-2 they still gotta win another game and they have no more home games left.

mjt20mik
06-12-2013, 07:35 PM
3 - 3 - 1

Hawkeye15
06-12-2013, 07:38 PM
Of COURSE it should change. 2-2-1-1-1 is the correct format. It was changed when the players had to fly coach, and it was always Boston/LA in the finals. They stay in 30 star hotels, and the private jets they fly in are ridiculous now. It needs to change back. Been saying that for years now.

blahblahyoutoo
06-12-2013, 07:49 PM
yes, it should be 7-0 for team with the best record.

carlthack
06-12-2013, 08:01 PM
Its been 28 years with this format, by now it has become part of the fiber of the NBA, its almost tradition. If it needed to be changed that would have happened before now.

Minimal
06-12-2013, 08:18 PM
Stupid format, you can argue if there is even a benefit to have HCA in the finals. Should be 2-2-1-1-1 just like in previous rounds.

Hangtime
06-12-2013, 08:30 PM
I don't really have a problem with it. The team with HCA gets the deciding 6th and 7th games on their home floor. No need to travel from Miami to LA for game 5 and back to Miami for game 6 and then back to LA for game 7. A true deserving champion should be good enough to win at home or on the road.

--23--
06-12-2013, 08:44 PM
I think the Finals should have a different format from the previous rounds but not the 2-3-2 format. Maybe something like 1-1-1-2-2 would be better.

HesterJordan23
06-12-2013, 08:55 PM
3 - 3 - 1
This.

J4KOP99
06-12-2013, 09:03 PM
Of COURSE it should change. 2-2-1-1-1 is the correct format. It was changed when the players had to fly coach, and it was always Boston/LA in the finals. They stay in 30 star hotels, and the private jets they fly in are ridiculous now. It needs to change back. Been saying that for years now.

The only reason this format was created was because the press was complaining about flying back and forth between LA and Boston.

bholly
06-12-2013, 09:14 PM
Considering only basketball, 2-2-1-1-1 makes the most sense. Fans only really consider basketball, so I'd expect almost all fans who've thought about it enough to prefer that.

Problem is the league also has to take into account the cost of moving everything - all the media and league stuff and other hoopla) across the country, and that makes it more complicated.

Based on just basketball they should change it. I wish they would change it. But based on the things that actually matter to the people making the decision, I don't expect them to.

4-3 is already an advantage enough. 5-2 is wayyy too much of an advantage when you consider the teams might be separated by just a game or two - or even by a tiebreaker, which can be just a random drawing. Even if it's based on records, you might essentially just be rewarding one team for playing in an easier conference. 5-2 is wayyy too much of an advantage for differences that could be that small, or even backwards.

Because there are other possibilities other than that.
If you split at home and then lost two you'd much rather have the next game at home - ie 1-1-1 - than have to play a third straight on the road.
If you split at home and then split the next two you, as the team with HCA and an even finals record so far, should have the opportunity to play at home in game 5 and be the favourite to force the other team into a pair of must-wins.

As it is, with evenly matched teams, the team without HCA is more likely to go up 3-2 than the team with HCA, and it shouldn't be like that.

2-2-1-1-1 makes it as even as reasonable without ever giving the non-HCA team a statistical advantage they didn't earn by winning.

Sinestro
06-12-2013, 09:15 PM
I like 2-3-2 format I think its ridiculously hard for a team to win 3 in a row in the Finals and the Home team gets 2 closeout games if you ask me that gives the Home team two advantages

archdevil84
06-12-2013, 09:21 PM
make it 2-2-2-1

davids22
06-12-2013, 09:30 PM
I don't have a problem with 2-3-2. But I do have a problem that it's the only series in the playoffs that is like that. It should be uniform for every round. Either 2-2-1-1-1 the whole way, or 2-3-2.

The whole "traveling expenses" theory is OUTDATED. This format was created when the Finals was almost always LA vs Boston, which is the two NBA cities that are farthest from each other. Combine that with the technology that we have now (it's much easier to transport all that media equipment) as well as faster planes (private jets for the teams) and luxary hotels that these guys stay in, and you have no reason to use the travel argument.

San Antonio is only 100 miles farther from Miami than Indianapolis is. And it didn't seem like anyone in the media was complaining about the "tough travel schedule" for themselves and for the players.

True Sports Fan
06-12-2013, 09:37 PM
3 - 3 - 1

Going on the road three straight game? That literally assures the home team is going to win

jam
06-12-2013, 09:39 PM
I would say the same.

It'll stay 2-3-2 however. The 3 straight home games for the team with the inferior record gives them a good chance of winning 2 of 3, and hence of stretching the series to a 6th, or even 7th game, even if they are the weaker team. More games equals more revenue from attendance, advertising, and almost always higher ratings due to the 'drama' of a 6th or 7th game. The 'drama' of course being artificially generated by giving the team with the worse record 3 straight at home.

Ratings and revenue dictate that the format will remain the same.

make it 2-2-2-1

jam
06-12-2013, 09:43 PM
Good point. The fact that all series prior are 22111 negates the 'reducing travel fatigue' theory.

The 232 format increases the probability of the finals going to a 6th or 7th game, which almost always boosts ratings and guarantees additional revenue for the league.

It's not really fair for the team with the better record, but david stern will always favor additional revenue over fair play.

I don't have a problem with 2-3-2. But I do have a problem that it's the only series in the playoffs that is like that. It should be uniform for every round. Either 2-2-1-1-1 the whole way, or 2-3-2.

The whole "traveling expenses" theory is OUTDATED. This format was created when the Finals was almost always LA vs Boston, which is the two NBA cities that are farthest from each other. Combine that with the technology that we have now (it's much easier to transport all that media equipment) as well as faster planes (private jets for the teams) and luxary hotels that these guys stay in, and you have no reason to use the travel argument.

San Antonio is only 100 miles farther from Miami than Indianapolis is. And it didn't seem like anyone in the media was complaining about the "tough travel schedule" for themselves and for the players.

bholly
06-12-2013, 10:00 PM

I haven't got all the expense estimates, obviously, but the tech and per-unit cost of travel thing is only half of the equation. The amount of stuff they take, and number of people they take, has also increased pretty significantly since back then.
The tech and travel costs for a given cargo and number of people has decreased.
The amount of cargo and number of people has increased.

Overall, it might be that the cost difference between a 2-2-1-1-1 series and 2-3-2 series is even bigger than before.

Yeah but LAL and Boston are just as far apart as ever, and it's not like you can change the format depending on who gets in.

The conference finals are also different to the finals. There's far more media stuff for the finals.

mjt20mik
06-12-2013, 10:02 PM
Going on the road three straight game? That literally assures the home team is going to win

This seems to be the only logical option that benefits the team with the highest record. I honestly think 2-2-1-1-1 is the best but its not good with regards to finances and time.

Hawkeye15
06-12-2013, 10:07 PM
The only reason this format was created was because the press was complaining about flying back and forth between LA and Boston.

well, not the only reason, the players didn't have the lap of luxury currently, but in the modern world, cmon. Game 5 should ALWAYS be HCA.

topdog
06-12-2013, 10:14 PM
It's fine. If you're good enough to be called champions, I don't care if it's 4-3 or 3-4. As far as format, we have o consider logistics (do you want a team crying about being tired from traveling in 1-1 situations?) and finances (flights, team profits from ticket sales, ect.)

jam
06-12-2013, 11:49 PM
This is just dumb.

It's fine. If you're good enough to be called champions, I don't care if it's 4-3 or 3-4. As far as format, we have o consider logistics (do you want a team crying about being tired from traveling in 1-1 situations?) and finances (flights, team profits from ticket sales, ect.)

Eaglerock562
06-13-2013, 01:15 AM
yes, it should be 7-0 for team with the best record.

The whole point behind having home court advantage is that with home court advantage the 2 most important games of the series would be at your arena. Game 5 the most important game of as series especially if both teams won their two home games in the first four. Tied 2-2, the pivotal game 5 at your arena and then of course the win or go home Game 7, the last game of the series would be at your arena to. So a series tied 2-2 or tied 3-3, home court advantage plays big.

However, the NBA Finals 2-3-2 format in my opinion DOES NOT provide home court advantage to the team with the best record. The only time it does so when a series is tied 3-3. Take for example, back in the 2003-04 season when the Lakers and Pistons played in the Finals. Detroit won the first game and the Lakers pulled out an overtime win in game two. Now tied 1-1, they go to Detroit for 3 straight. Where is the home court advantage for the team with the best record then? Game 5 would've been back in Los Angeles, instead it's in Detroit with the Pistons having a 3-1 series lead and in any other series, they are going on the road to try win that game five and to me that means that in the Finals unless the series is tied 3-3, home court advantage is in favor of the team with the worst record out of the two. Last year, the Thunder had the best overall record in the league and in the Finals against the Heat after splitting the two games in OKC, Miami goes on to win 3 straight at home when in any other series they would've been up 3-1 going back on the road for a game 5 and trying to close it out.

I've read that some have suggested a 2-2-1-1-1 format and to me that is a very reasonable suggestion giving the way the NBA schedules the Finals. They schedule the Finals to be played on a Thursday, Sunday, Tuesday format. Instituting the 2-2-1-1-1 format would mean that the teams would have one day off between games 2 and 3 to travel and then they would have 2 days off between games 4 and 5 to travel as game 4 would be on a Thursday and game 5 on a Sunday. It would give the team that earned the home court advantage throughout the playoffs to play those pivotal games 5 and 7 at their arena.

topdog
06-13-2013, 02:07 AM
This is just dumb.

Funny. That's what I thought of your post.

Seriously though, the idea of a forum is to back up what you say. Why is it dumb? You have to win a road game to win a championship so what does it matter if it's front-loaded?

Shmontaine
06-13-2013, 09:49 AM
IMO, three options:

1. 3-3-1: I believe the team with hca should never have less games at home at any time during the series

2. 2-3-2: BUT, let the team with the better record decide if they want the 3 in a row or not. it's a tough pill to swallow to split the first two and not be guaranteed another home game...

3. 2-2-1-1-1: traveling isn't even close to a inconvenient or time consuming when they developed this rule. I also think daylight savings time is outdated and no longer serves its intended purpose..

MarkieMark48
06-13-2013, 11:21 AM

Chrisclover
06-13-2013, 08:56 PM
2-2-1-1-1

TrueFan420
06-13-2013, 09:04 PM
Good point. The fact that all series prior are 22111 negates the 'reducing travel fatigue' theory.

The 232 format increases the probability of the finals going to a 6th or 7th game, which almost always boosts ratings and guarantees additional revenue for the league.

It's not really fair for the team with the better record, but david stern will always favor additional revenue over fair play.
The difference is in the series before both teams are either on the east or west. Whereas in the final one team is east the other west. The travel distance is much farther.

jam
06-14-2013, 12:50 AM
On average, yes, but not always.

The point is, out of fairness to the team with the better record, the 22111 format should be retained ESPECIALLY since it's the finals. Giving the team with the inferior record 3 straight at home (even though the team with the superior regular season record almost always wins at least one of the three) is simply unfair to the team that busted it's butt the entire regular season to gain home court "advantage."

The finals are the wrong time to start penny pinching. Competitive fairness is paramount when the season is on the line.

The difference is in the series before both teams are either on the east or west. Whereas in the final one team is east the other west. The travel distance is much farther.

kdspurman
06-14-2013, 10:11 AM
I don't like it, but it is what it is.

D-Leethal
06-14-2013, 10:17 AM
Too much advantage to the team already with HCA. In a normal playoff series the team without HCA is usually banking on winning the 3 at home and stealing one on the road regardless of how often that happens. Its damn near impossible to win three straight in a tight series, so your basically guaranteeing that the team without HCA has to win 2 on the road to win the series. Also, in a tight series, game 6 and 7 at home is a HUGE advantage.

When a 2-2 series turns into a best of 3, its not fair to have 1-2. It HAS to be 1-1-1.

They have 3 days between each ****ing game, there is no reason they can't fly in their luxury jets back and forth for a 5 hr flight. A 5 hr flight isn't even that bad at all. I've been on ****ing 18 hour flights. Fly redeye and go to ****ing sleep for christ sakes.