PDA

View Full Version : How can you be a wing player and not let it fly?

feelingit
06-12-2013, 08:53 AM
This is what I don't get. LeBron has been passive this whole finals series. They have been daring him to shoot. Now they did the same thing in 07 and LeBron just LeBricked everything.

If you are wide open on the perimeter and you are a wing player you got to shoot and knock down the shot. That's what your job is as a wing player. To score the ball. Think about it, there are 5 guys on the floor. The object is to score more points than the other team. Somebody has to score the ball.

The PG can get away with being passive because he is running the offense. He is running the pick and roll. He can dribble drive. Big men protect the rim. If they have skills they can post up and score.

What the hell is Chalmers going to do when LeBron always has the ball and the Spurs are leaving LeBron wide open?

I don't like it. LeBron should move to PG or PF this series because the guy doesn't have any trust in his jumper.

D-Leethal
06-12-2013, 10:15 AM
I do recall LeBron before this series saying 'I'm 10, 20, 50 times the player I was on '07. If they force me to shoot like they did then, I'm going to make them pay'

Am I dreaming or did he not say this prior to game 1?

D-Leethal
06-12-2013, 10:16 AM
LeBron 7-30 from outside the paint this series.

LeBron in '07 18-56 outside the paint.

heyman321
06-12-2013, 10:23 AM
What did you expect? Danny Green plays lockdown D.

lamzoka
06-12-2013, 10:24 AM
both lebron and dwade have no confidence in their jumpshots. we are watching the 2011 lebron all over again.

feelingit
06-12-2013, 11:26 AM
What did you expect? Danny Green plays lockdown D.

Actually Leonard is the more lockdown guy. Green is good too.

But the point is LeBron is wide open on these jumpers. He's more wide open than if he was playing a game of HORSE.

dalton749
06-12-2013, 11:41 AM
hes been pathetic on offense
if he does this the rest of the series his name will be out of the top 10 all time fast as hell

Goose17
06-12-2013, 11:51 AM
Being a wing player doesn't automatically make you a good shooter. And you can't say "every wing player should be able to shoot well", that's like saying "every point guard should be an elite passer". You're judging guys based on arbitrary roles that are outdated in the modern game.

Goose17
06-12-2013, 11:52 AM
hes been pathetic on offense
if he does this the rest of the series his name will be out of the top 10 all time fast as hell

lol, no it won't. First of all he just had the worst game of his entire career, it's unlikely he'll do that twice. And he hasn't been awful on offense this series. On top of that you're saying he won't be a top 10 player all time because of one series? That's just foolish.

2-ONE-5
06-12-2013, 12:00 PM
^yes he has. even that little 5-5 run he went on in game 2 came when the game was out of reach

feelingit
06-12-2013, 12:01 PM
Yes if you are a wing player you better be able to knock down shots. If you are wing and you are open for a shot and have the ball in your hands what does the PG do?

Most PG's can't create their own shot.

If a wing can't knock down an open look it screws with the entire team on the floor. Especially if you don't have a big to post up.

KingPosey
This is what I don't get. LeBron has been passive this whole finals series. They have been daring him to shoot. Now they did the same thing in 07 and LeBron just LeBricked everything.

If you are wide open on the perimeter and you are a wing player you got to shoot and knock down the shot. That's what your job is as a wing player. To score the ball. Think about it, there are 5 guys on the floor. The object is to score more points than the other team. Somebody has to score the ball.

The PG can get away with being passive because he is running the offense. He is running the pick and roll. He can dribble drive. Big men protect the rim. If they have skills they can post up and score.

What the hell is Chalmers going to do when LeBron always has the ball and the Spurs are leaving LeBron wide open?

I don't like it. LeBron should move to PG or PF this series because the guy doesn't have any trust in his jumper.
What do you mean he should move to PG? That doesn't make any sense, just by declaring he is the pg and not the SF doesn't mean anything when he already runs the offense. Weird statement.

feelingit
LeBron isn't even top 10 all time right now.

feelingit
06-12-2013, 12:02 PM
What do you mean he should move to PG? That doesn't make any sense, just by declaring he is the pg and not the SF doesn't mean anything when he already runs the offense. Weird statement.

What the hell does the PG do on the court when LeBron has the ball? Most PG's can't create their own shot.

Doogolas
06-12-2013, 12:06 PM
LeBron isn't even top 10 all time right now.

Oh no! He's only a top 15 player all time! He sucks!

feelingit
06-12-2013, 12:08 PM
Oh no! He's only a top 15 player all time! He sucks!

No. He has one ring and sucks in the Finals.

PhillyFaninLA
06-12-2013, 12:11 PM
Dear NBA Forum,

Can we raise the bar on the quality of topics? Can we post a orginal topics? Can we demand that this board not be run my mindless trolls and baiters?

Thanks,

feelingit
06-12-2013, 12:17 PM
Somebody answer me this question? LeBron has the ball on the wing. He's wide open for jumpers. Chalmers is just kind of there. Uh, LeBron I don't know if you realize this, but Chalmers is generously listed at 6'1". What the **** can he do if you have the ball 24/7 and won't shoot open looks?

In what world can you say Chalmers take the ball on the wing. Put some moves on and do work. He's 6'1". Would Jordan ever turn down looks and have John Paxson do work on the wing? Would Kobe do the same and have Fisher do work on the high post?

Chalmers can do nothing with the way LeBron is playing.

PhillyFaninLA
06-12-2013, 12:23 PM
Somebody answer me this question? LeBron has the ball on the wing. He's wide open for jumpers. Chalmers is just kind of there. Uh, LeBron I don't know if you realize this, but Chalmers is generously listed at 6'1". What the **** can he do if you have the ball 24/7 and won't shoot open looks?

In what world can you say Chalmers take the ball on the wing. Put some moves on and do work. He's 6'1". Would Jordan ever turn down looks and have John Paxson do work on the wing? Would Kobe do the same and have Fisher do work on the high post?

Chalmers can do nothing with the way LeBron is playing.

BrooklynKnicks did you make and alt?

feelingit
06-12-2013, 12:29 PM
BrooklynKnicks did you make and alt?

WTF? Seriously WTF?

Answer me this though? In what world should LeBron expect Chalmers to do work on the wing?

Goose17
06-12-2013, 12:32 PM
Yes if you are a wing player you better be able to knock down shots. If you are wing and you are open for a shot and have the ball in your hands what does the PG do?

Most PG's can't create their own shot.

If a wing can't knock down an open look it screws with the entire team on the floor. Especially if you don't have a big to post up.

I can't help but feel you're over thinking these arbitrary roles that serve no purpose in modern day basketball. Curry, Lawson, Parker, Irving, Westbrook, Lillard, Chris Paul, Jrue Holiday, Steve Nash and Derrick Rose can all find their own shot.

A wing not being able to shoot lights out doesn't mess with the entire team, it depends entirely on the team and play style. Look at Iggy and Tony Allen, elite level wing defenders but neither are particularly good with their jump shot. Does that negatively effect their team? No.

^yes he has. even that little 5-5 run he went on in game 2 came when the game was out of reach

First of all 43% in the first game wasn't "bad" or "awful" by any means.

Secondly, who said anything about scoring? We're talking about OFFENSE. Offense embodies more than just putting the ball in the hole.

feelingit
06-12-2013, 12:35 PM
I can't help but feel you're over thinking these arbitrary roles that serve no purpose in modern day basketball. Curry, Lawson, Parker, Irving, Westbrook, Lillard, Chris Paul, Jrue Holiday, Steve Nash and Derrick Rose can all find their own shot.

None of those players can go off without having being ball dominant. You aren't going to see them morph into Kobe and go off playing off ball waiting for it in the wing.

Chalmers isn't going to go off standing by in the wing waiting for the ball.

dodie53
06-12-2013, 12:35 PM
play 2 PFs
and
3 big guards.
chalmers and cole have no role in the heat team

feelingit
06-12-2013, 12:42 PM
play 2 PFs
and
3 big guards.
chalmers and cole have no role in the heat team

They don't because LeBron is so ball dominant and won't shoot open shots. Newsflash LeBron a 6' PG cannot create his own shot off ball. Certainly your PG's can't.

Goose17
06-12-2013, 12:46 PM
None of those players can go off without having being ball dominant. You aren't going to see them morph into Kobe and go off playing off ball waiting for it in the wing.

Chalmers isn't going to go off standing by in the wing waiting for the ball.

1. Kobe is the most ball dominant wing player in the entire history of the league.

2. You're tripping, all those names can and all those names do. One of my Warriors best lineups is having Jack at the point and Curry at the two running off screens and losing his man then draining he three. Get a hold of yourself child, I've seen nothing but completely idiotic posts from you.

3. Nice of you to ignore the rest of my post, either reply fully and back up your piss weak argument or don't reply at all.

feelingit
06-12-2013, 12:59 PM
1. Kobe is the most ball dominant wing player in the entire history of the league.

2. You're tripping, all those names can and all those names do. One of my Warriors best lineups is having Jack at the point and Curry at the two running off screens and losing his man then draining he three. Get a hold of yourself child, I've seen nothing but completely idiotic posts from you.

3. Nice of you to ignore the rest of my post, either reply fully and back up your piss weak argument or don't reply at all.

Chalmers ain't doing anything till LeBron starts hitting jumpers and gets Chalmers off the wing and high post.

Goose17
06-12-2013, 01:07 PM
Chalmers ain't doing anything till LeBron starts hitting jumpers and gets Chalmers off the wing and high post.

First of all why are you so obsessed with Chalmers? Lebron is the better ball handler and distributor, so why would you put it in Chalmers hands instead?

Secondly, during the regular season 72% of Chalmers jump shots were assisted on, meaning 72% of the jump shots he made, he was playing off the ball. So he is pretty good at playing off the ball.

feelingit
06-12-2013, 01:11 PM
First of all why are you so obsessed with Chalmers? Lebron is the better ball handler and distributor, so why would you put it in Chalmers hands instead?

Secondly, during the regular season 72% of Chalmers jump shots were assisted on, meaning 72% of the jump shots he made, he was playing off the ball. So he is pretty good at playing off the ball.

Chalmers aint gonna do **** with the way LeBron is playing right now.

ThuglifeJ
06-12-2013, 01:12 PM
Okay so we have an unintelligent OP and then a Lebronite arguing back in forth.

Its not even just hit his jumpers, he needs to be a lot better all around on offense right now hes just passive and even on fastbreaks where's his authoritative moves to the basket? He's playing very softly for the Lebron he's capable of being. Hes even been trying to flop any chance he gets, which looks like is even due to nerves out there..its like uncomfortable to watch him in slowmo on replays how obvious his flop acts are..

and of course it hurts his legacy, why are people so sensitive to that topic. to be a top 10 player you have to deserve it. Not showing up in the finals is not deserving, especially when you make claims of being 50 times better than you were in 07.

to be honest I think Lebron is just uncomfortable around more experienced, Vet players. He crushes anyone less experienced or around his age, but Vets always make him look scared. Like Dallas did in '11. Like Spurs did in '07

he has the most stacked team talent wise you can have, you must win or it hurts his legacy bad.

JC_
06-12-2013, 01:18 PM
Honestly, Lebron needs to shoot it if he's open. If they are letting you shoot the ball shoot the damn thing. The worst thing to watch is him dribbling into 3 defenders at the end of a quarter because he is scared to shoot further away.

Goose17
06-12-2013, 01:21 PM
Okay so we have an unintelligent OP and then a Lebronite arguing back in forth.

Huh? Lebronite? I'm just a realistic, I'm being unbiased here. Far too much hate for Lebron right now.

Its not even just hit his jumpers, he needs to be a lot better all around on offense right now hes just passive and even on fastbreaks where's his authoritative moves to the basket? He's playing very softly for the Lebron he's capable of being. Hes even been trying to flop any chance he gets, which looks like is even due to nerves out there..its like uncomfortable to watch him in slowmo on replays how obvious his flop acts are..

LOL the flopping stuff is a generic Lebron-hater argument. I'm not even getting into that B.S with you because you're coming across as another biased opinion who's opinion is completely skewed.

As for not being aggressive, he's taken a lot of shots, he just hasn't made them. It's not a lack of aggressiveness it's a lack of consistency. Could be (and most likely is) psychological. Also offense isn't just scoring. Offense includes many other aspects, his passing for example has been pretty good and his ability to create for his team mates has been good throughout these playoffs.

and of course it hurts his legacy, why are people so sensitive to that topic. to be a top 10 player you have to deserve it. Not showing up in the finals is not deserving, especially when you make claims of being 50 times better than you were in 07.

So if he loses these finals and wins the next nine in a row, his legacy will be damaged? This is ridiculous. This will all be forgotten about by the time he retires, nobody will even remember this, it's a drop in the ocean that is his career. You can't judge his legacy until he retires because we have no way of knowing how his career will play out.

to be honest I think Lebron is just uncomfortable around more experienced, Vet players. He crushes anyone less experienced or around his age, but Vets always make him look scared. Like Dallas did in '11. Like Spurs did in '07

Yeah, or like Boston.. no wait. Sorry.

That's a weak argument. It's nothing to do with Duncan being a vet, it's to do with the Spurs coaching and defense.

he has the most stacked team talent wise you can have, you must win or it hurts his legacy bad.

No he doesn't. Wade is in his twilight years as is Allen, but we'll include them for the sake of argument. So those two plus bosh... and then what? A bunch of mediocre role players. OKC last season had better talent from top to bottom.

D-Leethal
06-12-2013, 01:26 PM
"If you go under my pick-and-roll now, I'm going to shoot. And I'm confident I'm going to make every last one of them," James said. "I'm just more confident in my ability to shoot the ball."

ThuglifeJ
06-12-2013, 02:29 PM
@goose Im not even going to reply to your whole dam biased argument you literally disagreed with everything I said. You're just in defense, being an apologist.

If you cannot say that your man, Lebron, is not playing GREAT you have a problem. Is he not considered the best in the dam game? GOOD DOESN'T CUT IT especially in the FINALS.

ThuglifeJ
06-12-2013, 02:33 PM
Im not a Spurs fan or a Heat fan. I've watched the finals with an unbiased view. I can tell you right now from past Finals I have watched there has been a leader of the team who you felt comfortable with the ball in his hands or anticipating something great about to happen. Watching Lebron this finals he literally looks like a timid girl sometimes. And yes he does flop thats not a joke or anything, watch him play hes flailing all over the place looking like he doesn't know what to do with himself.

and I honestly do feel bad with all the hate he gets, I sometimes think it affects his mental health and his hairline. But that's the pressure of being on top, lots of people want to see you fail.

sunnyice
06-12-2013, 08:13 PM
Im not a Spurs fan or a Heat fan. I've watched the finals with an unbiased view. I can tell you right now from past Finals I have watched there has been a leader of the team who you felt comfortable with the ball in his hands or anticipating something great about to happen. Watching Lebron this finals he literally looks like a timid girl sometimes. And yes he does flop thats not a joke or anything, watch him play hes flailing all over the place looking like he doesn't know what to do with himself.

and I honestly do feel bad with all the hate he gets, I sometimes think it affects his mental health and his hairline. But that's the pressure of being on top, lots of people want to see you fail.

You just have to accept it, you are one of the haters. Just look at your post.

bucketss
06-12-2013, 08:37 PM
You just have to accept it, you are one of the haters. Just look at your post.

Lol yeah, btw this kid was crying like a girl in the raptors forum when we wouldn't show wince carter respect. Lol.

ThuglifeJ
06-12-2013, 08:52 PM
?
no and no.

what?

-when im making fun of his hairline or something its not hating its pretty universal jokes about Lebron. Im not a Lebron hater or fan. I did watch him nonstop in Cleveland because he was so explosive to watch, and still watch him quite a bit just so I dont miss an all time great. Im a fan of his all around dominant game, but Im not a big fan of the way he carries himself sometimes, so im pretty neutral on Lebron. I think the fact that he gets hyped for his rebounding/defense/playmaking/explosiveness is deserving, but I think his scoring ability is overhyped.

doesnt change the fact he clearly shys away from big moments, rather showing he's deserving to be mentioned with MJ, Magic, etc.

nice counterarguments btw.

HesterJordan23
06-12-2013, 09:07 PM
If you don't like the heat or lebron your a hater. Simple as that. Don't hate appreciate