PDA

View Full Version : Who was the best C/PF combo of all time?

JasonJohnHorn
06-12-2013, 08:44 AM
David Robinson did an interview last night before the game and it got be drooling over how awesome the D-Rob/Duncan combo was. I think it is fair to say that they were the best C/PF combo of all time, though it would have been nice to see them both in their prime at the same time. I'm sure there are some who disagree (though likely not many). So who do you have as the best C/PF combo? And list your top three combos so we can see a little variety. Where do you guys rank Ewing and Oakley? Or Hakeem and Thorpe? Wilt and Baylor (though Baylor played SF). Hakeem and Sampson (while it lasted)? Or any other combos I am forgetting.

Chuck Taylor
06-12-2013, 09:19 AM
McHale and Parrish are extremely underrated as individuals. Probably more so as a duo. But they could hang with anyone and this is a Laker fan talking.

Labgrownmangoat
06-12-2013, 10:40 AM
David Robinson did an interview last night before the game and it got be drooling over how awesome the D-Rob/Duncan combo was. I think it is fair to say that they were the best C/PF combo of all time, though it would have been nice to see them both in their prime at the same time. I'm sure there are some who disagree (though likely not many). So who do you have as the best C/PF combo? And list your top three combos so we can see a little variety. Where do you guys rank Ewing and Oakley? Or Hakeem and Thorpe? Wilt and Baylor (though Baylor played SF). Hakeem and Sampson (while it lasted)? Or any other combos I am forgetting.

You realize that you get fewer responses to your posts because everyone wanders off looking for more pictures of Christina Hendricks, right?

With that out of the way, Robinson and Duncan have a pretty strong argument. Anyone looked at the stats for this, to the extent they are comparable across eras?

Pierzynski4Prez
06-12-2013, 10:59 AM
Hakeem and Sampson for the little bit they were together was pretty good.

Jetsguy
06-12-2013, 11:22 AM
Alvin Hayes/Wes Unseld
Dave Debuscherre/Willis Reed
McHale/Parish

All good ones in no order in addition to the ones you mentioned

JPS
06-12-2013, 11:29 AM
Moses and Barkley should have been.

TragicallyHip
06-12-2013, 12:01 PM
Alonzo Mourning and Larry Johnson mid 90's were pretty solid.

RipCity32
06-12-2013, 12:02 PM
Monroe/Drummond

Hangtime
06-12-2013, 12:04 PM
The Wallace boyz were pretty good.

imbetterthanyou
06-12-2013, 12:23 PM
If you dont mention VLADE DIVAC and chris webber then you dont know basketball.

imbetterthanyou
06-12-2013, 12:23 PM
VLADE DIVAC and anybody for that matter

Hellcrooner
06-12-2013, 05:01 PM
nate thurmond + wilt Chamberlain.

-

tredigs
06-12-2013, 05:10 PM
Hakeem and Sampson for the little bit they were together was pretty good.

That's the first one that popped into my mind. So good on both ends. Good enough to beat Showtime Lakers and close to the legendary 86 Celtics in the finals. They were better than McHale+Parish imo, but they didn't have a Bird.

celtNYpatsHeels
06-12-2013, 05:26 PM
Id say McHale and Parish... if Sampson was healthy then it would have been him and Hakeem.

EastCoastRaptor
06-12-2013, 05:43 PM
Not the best but damn good Rodman/Laimbeer. Haha to the Pistons fanboy saying Munroe/Drummond. Also Mourning/Johnson was a good combo.

RLundi
06-12-2013, 05:45 PM
If you dont mention VLADE DIVAC and chris webber then you dont know basketball.

This is coming from a Kings fan.

SHOCKING.

RLundi
06-12-2013, 05:46 PM
I think it's Duncan/Robinson.

Shlumpledink
06-12-2013, 05:59 PM
If Sampson never got hurt, we would be talking about Hakeem Olajuwon as the best power forward ever

3RDASYSTEM
06-12-2013, 06:21 PM
VLADE DIVAC and anybody for that matter

Hell yeah no doubt about it

he got traded for a top 10 best player ever in bean on draft night

like talk about highway robbery

a top 100 player off alltime traded for a top 10 to only ride the pine behind another top 100's player of alltime

VLADE is the man in lakerland for making that happen and reporting to CHARLOTTE

G-Menfan4lyfe
06-12-2013, 06:47 PM
To think what Mourning and LJ could have been had they gotten along and LJ hadn't hurt his back...... :(

Prime Mourning/PJ Brown was pretty beasty too. Especially on the defensive end.

Iggz53
06-12-2013, 07:19 PM
Olajuwon and Sampson for sure. Haven't ever seen a frontcourt as dominant as they were.

Krizzle88
06-12-2013, 07:21 PM
Im surprised Heat fans haven't said Chris Bosh & Haslem

True Sports Fan
06-12-2013, 08:13 PM
To think what Mourning and LJ could have been had they gotten along and LJ hadn't hurt his back...... :(

Prime Mourning/PJ Brown was pretty beasty too. Especially on the defensive end.

Zo and and anyone is pretty solid haha.

But Duncan and Admiral first came to mind

ohreally
06-12-2013, 11:06 PM
McHale and Parrish are extremely underrated as individuals. Probably more so as a duo. But they could hang with anyone and this is a Laker fan talking.

Agree, vastly underrated. I think I would take them over Duncan and Robinson. Wilt and Baylor though? that's a tougher choice to me. Reed and DeBusschere were damn good as well.

Agent008
06-12-2013, 11:20 PM
Although not quite as good as Robinson/Duncan, Robinson/Rodman deserves a mention. They were two hall of famers playing in the prime of their careers.

jam
06-12-2013, 11:31 PM
Olajuwon + Sampson.

GunFactor187
06-12-2013, 11:39 PM
Monroe/Drummond

I concur.

UPRock
06-13-2013, 12:01 AM
Rasheed and Big Ben.

carlthack
06-13-2013, 12:04 AM
Im very surprised nobody here has any knowledge of basketball history. Bill Russell and Tom Heinsohn cant even get one mention? 8 RINGS TOGETHER! McHale/Parrish 3 rings? That's cute.

..and Im a Laker fan but you gotta respect the history of the game.

BadBoyFan4Life
06-14-2013, 09:17 PM
Moses Malone and Charles Barkley played together for 2 season...

TrueFan420
06-14-2013, 09:38 PM
That's the first one that popped into my mind. So good on both ends. Good enough to beat Showtime Lakers and close to the legendary 86 Celtics in the finals. They were better than McHale+Parish imo, but they didn't have a Bird.

Very few got a chance to hear the word

bagwell368
06-14-2013, 10:02 PM

Laugh out loud. No way if you line Hakeem and Sampson up in the years that they played together and put it up against the best contiguous years McHale/Parish played that McHale/Parish wouldn't win every year.

Sampson was a stiff, probably has more undeserved ASG appearances than any other NBA player with the same rough amount of years played. Hakeem was of course immense.

bagwell368
06-14-2013, 10:10 PM
Im very surprised nobody here has any knowledge of basketball history. Bill Russell and Tom Heinsohn cant even get one mention? 8 RINGS TOGETHER! McHale/Parrish 3 rings? That's cute.

..and Im a Laker fan but you gotta respect the history of the game.

Also, I'd have to say if you are talking say two year peak that Russell and Howell were stronger than Russell and Heinsohn.

Celts of that era had the best coach, GM, and players. SRS #1's and no real consistent competition from other franchises unless you count a couple of years of the Hawks early and the Lakers late and one 76'ers team. Heinsohn was a volume shooter, rugged, short career - Russell was a one way player that could pass (after Cousy quit - and Heinsohn was on his last legs.). There were usually 7 or 8 other teams in the league all of Heinsohns years and most of Russells. The 3 rings Parish/McHale have were worth about 9 of the Russell's, and they are a stronger combo.

What I am surprised is nobody is going with Bird as a PF. He played a ton of PF on D in particular when Max was the other forward, or when McHale was sitting. McHale played a ton of #3 on D, and some #5 too - for those that want to talk history.

IKnowHoops
06-14-2013, 10:20 PM
well the fact that in 99 when David was still pretty good, and Duncan was a beast outplaying shaq, sweeping the lakers in the finals, and dominating everyone in the playoffs and winning a ring seals it for me. I don't really think its close.

3RDASYSTEM
06-14-2013, 10:22 PM
Any who had WILT/SHAQ/ALCINDOR/DREAM and that short brief DUNCAN-DROB, they are cream of the crop type

MCHALE was a beast also,CHIEF could carry a load but didn't have to in BEANTOWN

they should be on the list regardless, they were that individually dominant day 1

bagwell368
06-14-2013, 10:26 PM
well the fact that in 99 when David was still pretty good, and Duncan was a beast outplaying shaq, sweeping the lakers in the finals, and dominating everyone in the playoffs and winning a ring seals it for me. I don't really think its close.

Yeah, I think they must take it, everybody is fighting over #2.

I was going to vote for Malone and Barkley but it was just two years, and one year CB was a rookie and the next year Malone was getting old. Close but no cigar.

carlthack
06-14-2013, 11:11 PM
Also, I'd have to say if you are talking say two year peak that Russell and Howell were stronger than Russell and Heinsohn.

Celts of that era had the best coach, GM, and players. SRS #1's and no real consistent competition from other franchises unless you count a couple of years of the Hawks early and the Lakers late and one 76'ers team. Heinsohn was a volume shooter, rugged, short career - Russell was a one way player that could pass (after Cousy quit - and Heinsohn was on his last legs.). There were usually 7 or 8 other teams in the league all of Heinsohns years and most of Russells. The 3 rings Parish/McHale have were worth about 9 of the Russell's, and they are a stronger combo.

What I am surprised is nobody is going with Bird as a PF. He played a ton of PF on D in particular when Max was the other forward, or when McHale was sitting. McHale played a ton of #3 on D, and some #5 too - for those that want to talk history.

Cool. Finally someone that knows a little NBA history. I should point out though that although there were fewer teams back then, all that really meant was that each and every team was more highly concentrated with star talent than teams of today, or even back in the 80s. And in playoff time they were still going up against the best of the best. But the Lakers were very tough all throughout Baylor and West's careers, not just later. (Im guessing your referring to the Chamberlain Laker years)