PDA

View Full Version : Has the time come for Wade to embrace a 6th-Man role?

Chronz
06-11-2013, 05:09 PM
Been thinking about this ever since the Big3 got together, I thought about something similar with the Big 3 in Boston as well, but should Wade come off the bench? Their first 2 years together I didn't think it was a big deal, but with Wade slowing down its a thought that has crept up more often as I watch these games. Its no secret that the Heat have been better without Wade on the court, at least statistically. Why not do what San Antonio has done with Tony Parker and Manu? Maximizing both stars simply by allocating playing time where they can get to work without the other ball dominant player and then closing with them together.

Right now I think Spo is trying to do that without benching Wade, but it just doesn't leave either of them with enough time. Then again, I wonder if benching Wade would do more harm to his own game than it would help the team. Its an argument that can work either way, just wondered what you guys would do? Is it too late in the season to suggest it?

Would you treat G2's explosion without Wade as part of a small sample anomaly, what if it happens again?

Minimal
06-11-2013, 05:23 PM
This might work, but maybe a bit early. They should look at it in the future. Miller/Battier/Allen fit sligthly better with LeBron considering Wade's current health.

Tony_Starks
06-11-2013, 05:37 PM
I wouldn't over react to game 2. To me that was a result of the role players feeling comfortable at home and getting hot. But keep in mind D Wade started the game off very nice. Spo just had no choice but to roll with the hot hand.

Also Wade is not going for being benched, no way. Just go back and look at his comments when he wasn't getting enough shots. He knows he's hurt but he's no bench player...

Im_in_Mia_bish
06-11-2013, 06:27 PM
..but he's injured..

b@llhog24
06-11-2013, 06:35 PM
I always thought they should've done that. But too many non basketball reasons would come into play to prevent that.

Chronz
06-11-2013, 07:17 PM
I wouldn't over react to game 2. To me that was a result of the role players feeling comfortable at home and getting hot. But keep in mind D Wade started the game off very nice. Spo just had no choice but to roll with the hot hand.

Also Wade is not going for being benched, no way. Just go back and look at his comments when he wasn't getting enough shots. He knows he's hurt but he's no bench player...

Yeah I dont think it would sit well with Wade at all. Hes a team guy, but hes not that much of a team guy. Hes got abit more pride than that. That said, this could be like you said, not even be about pride, that its just not that big of a deal but what if Wade is becoming one of those role players you spoke of? Just keep an eye out for that because if you look at the home/away splits for the playoffs this year;

R1: Has 2 solid home games, gos 1-12 away.

R.2: 8PPG at Chicago on 47% vs 52% on 15.6PPG

Similar story in the Indy series too.

Hes looking more and more like a role player. Hopefully this isnt the end

SportsFanatic10
06-11-2013, 07:20 PM
it might work for this series because wade is injured and said himself he really only has 2 good quarters to give per game right now. even though that run in the 3rd came without wade, his aggressive play was key in the first half with 10pts on 5/10fg and 6ast. going forward as in next year when he is healthy again absolutely not, he will be himself again.

Tony_Starks
06-11-2013, 08:25 PM
The way to work around it maybe to start him and just limit his minutes. If the team is rolling while he's on the pine it's all good, but if not you've avoided the controversy of "benching" him.

kdspurman
06-11-2013, 08:35 PM
I always thought they should've done that. But too many non basketball reasons would come into play to prevent that.

I thought the same from the beginning when he & Lebron had chemistry issues. But they sort of figured it out, but I don't think Wade would ever go for it.

NBA_Starter
06-11-2013, 08:38 PM
It actaully is not a bad idea, I don't want to see him get Brandon Roy'd all the way out of the league young, actually I don't want to see that happen to anyone.

Hawkeye15
06-11-2013, 08:39 PM
..but he's injured..

with his style of play, that was inevitable. Why play him starters minutes and role? He will sink quicker with a shouldered responsibility to be the old Wade.

Hawkeye15
06-11-2013, 08:39 PM
It actaully is not a bad idea, I don't want to see him get Brandon Roy'd all the way out of the league young, actually I don't want to see that happen to anyone.

well, he is well past that.

h2r09
06-11-2013, 08:42 PM
Holy crap the guy is injured i dont understand why this is so hard for everyone to wrap their heads around. He was having one o the best all around years of his career this year before he hurt his knee.

Stop digging his grave when hes still alive.