PDA

View Full Version : If You Were A Coach How Would You Defend The Heat?

Rivera
06-11-2013, 01:42 PM
Would you go the San Antonio route? Clog the paint make Lebron a jump shooter and make the supporting cast beat you?

or

Would you go the Indiana route? Let Lebron be Lebron but guard the shooters and shut down the supporting cast?

We have seen two different ways to defend Lebron in the Heat the past two series. One team took the Heat to seven and the other series is 1-1. Instead of waiting for the conclusion of this series to make your choice lets make it now while the series is going

raiderposting
06-11-2013, 01:45 PM
Tell my worst player whose up there in age, to choke out lebron. He gets suspended for life, but ill give him 50k. I would only do this if its a game 7, however.

D-Leethal
06-11-2013, 01:51 PM
I would take the Indiana route. You can't let guys like Allen and Miller and Chalmers just spot up and shoot freely all day. Let LeBron get his 40. He can't beat a high level playoff team by himself 4 out of 7. On top of that, your forcing him to NOT play his game that way. LeBron WANTS to keep passing. Flashing multiple defenders and sending doubles just allows him to play the way he wants to play. Put the pressure on him, force him to be a superhero, force him to play the way he doesn't enjoy to play. Against guys like Kobe/Melo I like the Spurs strategy, but not against a guy who loves to hit the open man and is surrounded by some of the best shooters in the league/of all time.

That said, the Indiana route doesn't work as effectively without 7'2 Roy Hibbert patrolling the paint.

Tony_Starks
06-11-2013, 01:52 PM
Let Lebron be a passer and roll your dice on the shooters. Not sure of the Chalmers of the world games will travel on the road.

ManRam
06-11-2013, 01:56 PM
It's kinda hard. I don't think it's as simple as just doing one thing. You kinda have to change it up IMO. Alternate between trying to hound him and force the others to beat you and be OK with LeBron scoring. Play it by ear too. If I had to pick I'd rather make him a passer and hope the shooters are off. Thing is, there might not be a better passer in the game right now.

Indy didn't just "let LeBron be LeBron" either. It wasn't quite that simple. They did an ever better job of clogging the paint than I think SAS has done, it's just they have Hibbert who basically can do it himself. They've been tremendous all season long at running shooters off the three point line, but they didn't necessarily sacrifice paint defense to do that.

There's no one way to do it...he's to versatile. He can kill you without shooting it at all, he can kill you with taking over completely, and he can kill you in between.

I'd just change it up. Don't let anything get in a rhythm. If you can't clog the paint and cover the three point line at the same time, switch it up. Don't let shooters get in a rhythm, but don't let the penetrators either.

Rivera
06-11-2013, 02:03 PM
Yea i get the indy strategy isnt as simple as i said but im gonna dumb it down for folks lol

Goose17
06-11-2013, 02:16 PM
You can't stop Lebron, only slow him down. And even then there's about five guys in the entire league that have the defensive skillset to do that one on one.

Shut down everyone else as best you can, and try to keep Lebron away from the paint. Easier said than done. But I would rather force Lebron to put the team on his back than waste time trying to shut him down.

Knick_Fever
06-11-2013, 02:16 PM
I wouldnt change anything at first, clogging the paint strategy works, its all the TO's that did it for the Spurs and bad shot selection. But late in the game I would throw defenders at him, but only from the blind-side, and only temporarily. Similar to what the Warriors D did against Dirk (trying saying that 10x's fast). "They were coming from all angles" as Dirk put it. Have them sprint and stop, then return, works as a distraction technique.

JC_
06-11-2013, 02:19 PM
I'd do what Indiana did, risk 3 sec defensive violation by camping 1 or 2 guys in the paint while playing deep with my other guys to prevent Miami from getting any open shots. This stops Bosh's regular jump shot almost completely and it puts way more pressure on shooters. One of the only guys that can split the defense is Wade but he's not 100% so my guys in the paint shouldn't have much problem.

SanAntonioSpurs23
06-11-2013, 02:27 PM
Tonya Harding

feelingit
06-11-2013, 03:05 PM
I don't know. This is one stacked team. Jesus Christ it's stacked.

SportsFanatic10
06-11-2013, 03:09 PM
it's extremely difficult, depends alot on the type of personnel you have at your disposal. a team like indy is great for this task, because they have young athletic wings to defend lebron and wade, and then hibbert protecting the rim behind them. that allows them to not have to double as much so the shooters aren't left open.

slaker619
06-11-2013, 03:21 PM
Spurs & Pacers route seem to have worked the most effective

jerellh528
06-11-2013, 03:26 PM
I would consult greg popovich.

kdspurman
06-11-2013, 03:26 PM
Really depends on the personnel you have. I think what's important is to try not to give any great player the same looks. Gotta mix it up, I think we might see some of that tonight.

NYKnickFanatic
06-11-2013, 03:40 PM
I'd just let LeBron get his and try to keep everyone else from scoring. LeBron going to the rim, I want everyone staying put defending their man.

lol, please
06-11-2013, 03:41 PM
Would you go the San Antonio route? Clog the paint make Lebron a jump shooter and make the supporting cast beat you?

or

Would you go the Indiana route? Let Lebron be Lebron but guard the shooters and shut down the supporting cast?

We have seen two different ways to defend Lebron in the Heat the past two series. One team took the Heat to seven and the other series is 1-1. Instead of waiting for the conclusion of this series to make your choice lets make it now while the series is going
If I was a coach I wouldn't defend the Heat, unless I was a coach of the Heat. Do you mean defend against the Heat?

RiceOnTheRun
06-11-2013, 08:42 PM
Shut out the shooters. Not only does it frustrate Lebron mentally, but I hope people have learned by now, no single player can beat out a well-run team (07 Finals). With the way Wade and Bosh are playing right now, it shouldn't be too difficult for the Spurs, but that's a whole different story if they start spreading the floor and hitting their shots.

Lebron's going to get his 30 if he wants. Let him get maybe 15 more but cut his teammates' scoring by 30 and you've been successful. Key to beating em is limiting turnovers. Miami is too ridiculous on their fast breaks, even with a subpar DWade he's still one of the best in that regard.

More-Than-Most
06-11-2013, 08:44 PM
Let anyone but James beat me.

feelingit
06-11-2013, 08:56 PM
Shut out the shooters. Not only does it frustrate Lebron mentally, but I hope people have learned by now, no single player can beat out a well-run team (07 Finals). With the way Wade and Bosh are playing right now, it shouldn't be too difficult for the Spurs, but that's a whole different story if they start spreading the floor and hitting their shots.

Lebron's going to get his 30 if he wants. Let him get maybe 15 more but cut his teammates' scoring by 30 and you've been successful. Key to beating em is limiting turnovers. Miami is too ridiculous on their fast breaks, even with a subpar DWade he's still one of the best in that regard.

That's not true. 07 LeBron was not the apex of basketball players. Duncan in 2003 was pretty damn close to single-handedly winning a Finals in 2003. So it can be done.

Obviously the more quality players you have the better the team will be, but one player can take over the game.

MyDRoseLikeDeng
06-11-2013, 08:57 PM
I actually would go with the Spurs way and clog the paint to try and stop LeBron. As seen in the Warriors series and in the Knicks series, shooters go cold typically and I would rather clog the paint and force the Heat to load their lineups with players like Mike Miller and Shane Battier instead of Wade and Bosh

feelingit
06-11-2013, 09:03 PM
I actually would go with the Spurs way and clog the paint to try and stop LeBron. As seen in the Warriors series and in the Knicks series, shooters go cold typically and I would rather clog the paint and force the Heat to load their lineups with players like Mike Miller and Shane Battier instead of Wade and Bosh

The difference is Curry plays on ball. He's not a great penetrater.

Allen, Battier and Miller play off ball and are taking wide open 3's. A wide open corner 3 is the 2nd best shot in basketball besides a layup.