PDA

View Full Version : No Good Deed Goes Unpunished

JasonJohnHorn
06-11-2013, 07:34 AM
Doug Collins took over as the head coach of the Bulls in 87. He got them ten more win than the previous season and earned a spot in the playoffs. First round elimination. The next year the Bulls reached the second round the playoffs. In Collins third season, despite some trades in the offseason that were not well received by players, the Bulls went onto reach the conference finals. Collins improved the team each year and got one step closer. His reward? He was fired.

Flash forward to 2013. Lionel Hollins has helped the Grizzlies to improve their winning percentage each season since he took over as head coach. He lead them to an upset over the Spurs tow years ago, and despite an disappointing exit last season, the Grizzlies, who started out as the best team in the league this season, went onto win a franchise best 56 wins, despite a trade that saw the Grizzlies ship out their leading scorer for a defensive minded forward on the wrong side of 30. In the post season, the Grizzlies have never been better and reach the conference finals for the first time in franchise history. His reward? He was let go.

In my mind, this is the most bizarre firing since Collins. There have been some firing that left me scratching my head. Sam Mitchell getting canned by the Raptors for one. The George Karl dismissal not so much; I was scratching my head more as to how he won COY, the firing I expected.

The Grizzlies have seem similar improvements over the last several seasons that we have seen in Indy. The Pacers would dream of firing Vogel at this point. Why are the Grizzleis letting Hollins go? My impression is that it is more about the front office than Hollins performance. It seems like some folks don't see eye to eye with Hollins and ownership is siding with mangement instead of the coach.

What are your thoughts?

sunsfan88
06-11-2013, 07:57 AM
In Memphis, you get traded out or fired for doing your job well.

Pau Gasol, Rudy Gay, Lionel Hollins...

Marc Gasol is next. Teams better start giving the Grizz some offers soon.

HYFR
06-11-2013, 07:58 AM
Hollinger thinks he's the man

JC_
06-11-2013, 08:31 AM
I couldn't believe it tbh. The only reason that might make sense is if the players hate him and are prepared to play hard for someone else.

koreancabbage
06-11-2013, 08:34 AM
Memphis will probably regress next year.

Steely McBeam
06-11-2013, 09:17 AM
I hated Sam Mitchell as a head coach. There must have been something to that firing because I dont think I've ever even heard his name mentioned for another gig

c.c.
06-11-2013, 08:22 PM
They miss being a lotto team

abe_froman
06-11-2013, 08:40 PM
Doug Collins took over as the head coach of the Bulls in 87. He got them ten more win than the previous season and earned a spot in the playoffs. First round elimination. The next year the Bulls reached the second round the playoffs. In Collins third season, despite some trades in the offseason that were not well received by players, the Bulls went onto reach the conference finals. Collins improved the team each year and got one step closer. His reward? He was fired.

that had to do with internal turmoil between collins and krause ,its the same internal dynamics that would cause the break up of the dynasty and phil leaving in '98.the gm,krause,was always paranoid about his job security and would fire anyone he saw as a threat to it,thats why collins was fired

i'm sure its similar with hollins,he was vocal in the media about the rudy trade and so with having coach and gm not seeing eye to eye on players causes strife,so someone has to go

JasonJohnHorn
06-11-2013, 09:32 PM
that had to do with internal turmoil between collins and krause ,its the same internal dynamics that would cause the break up of the dynasty and phil leaving in '98.the gm,krause,was always paranoid about his job security and would fire anyone he saw as a threat to it,thats why collins was fired

i'm sure its similar with hollins,he was vocal in the media about the rudy trade and so with having coach and gm not seeing eye to eye on players causes strife,so someone has to go

That's how I saw it as well... that's why I brought up the Collins/Hollins comparison... very interesting... It seems odd that the management would side with a guy they just brought in over a guy who's been with the team as long as Hollins and who has helped the team play the best basketball it has ever in franchise history.

JerseyPalahniuk
06-11-2013, 10:16 PM
Great comparison OP. Who knows, maybe they get another Phil Jackson haha

IndyRealist
06-11-2013, 11:00 PM

This. He didn't stick to the company line about Rudy Gay, and that probably got him fired more than anything else. If in the WCF Hollins had said, "You know what, we're a better team without Rudy Gay and his massive contract" then he'd probably still have a job.

IndyRealist
06-11-2013, 11:02 PM
Have to go with George Karl though. I mean, if they hadn't realized in 9 years that he's a horrible coach who misuses his bigs, why would they start now?

Sly Guy
06-11-2013, 11:38 PM
all good options in the poll except s'mitch (he didn't deserve COY IMO). So much so I can't even hazard a choice.