PDA

View Full Version : Dr. J documentary on NBA TV

JerseyPalahniuk
06-10-2013, 10:35 PM
Wow. He was legendary. People who know more about him please share stories. I can read all the wikipedia I want about him, but I was hoping for some of the older posters around here to talk about what he was like, especially when he entered the NBA from the NBA. If only he had come a bit earlier to the NBA but I'm glad he was part of the Nets franchise. Greatest player of our franchise along with Jason Kidd - even if it was for a short period.

How good was he?

JerseyPalahniuk
06-10-2013, 10:41 PM
Re-run is on right now on firstrowsports - just google it, dont wanna give the link since that's probably not allowed

Swashcuff
06-10-2013, 10:45 PM
They're also showing a rerun on NBA TV I'm watching it both times. Top 20 all time but criminally underrated by many because of the fact that he played many of his prime years in the ABA.

Tony_Starks
06-10-2013, 10:58 PM
Man I watched that and the first thing I thought was its a shame he gets so overlooked in top 10 conversations. Dr J is your GOATS idol.

JerseyPalahniuk
06-10-2013, 11:00 PM
Yeah watching first time right now. Damn. Wish I could've seen him play.

Chronz
06-10-2013, 11:07 PM
Been wanting to watch this, hope it was as good as advertised.

As for the Doc, hes underrated because people fell in love with MJ's cutthroat mentality and because of the lost ABA days IMO. Heres a guy who would put the team first, heck he put the league ahead of his own success, that kind of selflessness isn't the manly trait people value from guys who are suppose to carry franchises by standing out, not blending in.

Whats more, those people may have a point. He had the talent alongside him, they were just too young to listen to him, or acknowledge his greatness. Thats either reflective on their immaturity and thus not exactly championship material, or reflective of Ervings leadership style. Maybe both.

JerseyPalahniuk
06-10-2013, 11:40 PM
"I had never seen the entire county root for one guy like they did for Dr. J that year" - Magic Johnson when they played the Sixers in the finals in '83. They went 4-5-4 in the playoffs after getting Moses Malone in the off-season.

JerseyPalahniuk
06-10-2013, 11:41 PM
"I had never seen the entire county root for one guy like they did for Dr. J that year" - Magic Johnson when they played the Sixers in the finals in '83. They went 4-5-4 in the playoffs after getting Moses Malone in the off-season. Haha seems like the Anti-2011 Lebron

"In 1986, he announced that he would retire after the season, causing every game he played to be sold out with adoring fans.That final season saw opposing teams pay tribute to Erving in the last game Erving would play in their arenas, including in cities such as Boston and Los Angeles, his perennial rivals in the playoffs"

-quote from Wiki. Thought they were exaggerating but they're showing clips of his last Lakers game where Magic giving a speech before their game, last Celtics game where Bird gave a speech, and him tearing up and incredibly emotional before his last road game against the Nets. Damn.

jam
06-11-2013, 12:07 AM
Great post, jersey.

This was a very powerful, emotionally riveting mini=documentary.

It had a very reverential and somber mood, which was useful at times, but the docu had a generally depressing tone which was unnecessary, and at times wildly inappropriate. For example, the sixers with lloyd free, micginnis, darryl dawkins were basically a goofy, traveling circus, yet the docu could not capture the free=spirited, free wheeling nature of the team at all.

A great, concise piece of journalism which unfortunately, and unnecessarily serves as a downer.

NYKalltheway
06-11-2013, 12:47 AM
They're also showing a rerun on NBA TV I'm watching it both times. Top 20 all time but criminally underrated by many because of the fact that he played many of his prime years in the ABA.

which is funny because the ABA is pretty much similar to what we got today while the NBA back then was way different.

jam
06-11-2013, 05:21 AM
Doc can still dunk:

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2013/06/dr-j-can-still-dunk-a-basketball/

stawka
06-11-2013, 07:28 AM
Anywhere to stream it in HD? No nba tv in Australia and I'm DYING to watch it

JerseyPalahniuk
06-11-2013, 11:01 AM
Doc can still dunk:

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2013/06/dr-j-can-still-dunk-a-basketball/

Hahah ya I was shocked when at the end of the documentary when he STILL was able to dunk off one foot.

And about the somber tone, I completely agree. Even apart from the very end when discussing his son, there didn't seem to be as many "ups". Granted they can't just focus on his basketball life when he's had two extrememly emotional deaths occur in his immediate family that shaped the way he viewed life but I was hoping for a bit more light-heartedness. Didn't know about the Sixers locker room mood, thanks for pointing that out. My favorite scenes were definitely the Rucker park ones when they showed literally hundreds of people on trees and top of buildings trying to see this new legend for themselves.

Mikeleafs
06-11-2013, 11:15 AM
Great respect to this man. He won the championship the right way.. through hard work and loyalty.

His one championship outweighs all the championships that Lebron will win in his career.

JerseyPalahniuk
06-11-2013, 11:39 AM
Great respect to this man. He won the championship the right way.. through hard work and loyalty.

His one championship outweighs all the championships that Lebron will win in his career.

Please don't bring Lebron into this. The documentary also specifically talked about how he couldn't do it alone, he needed help, they kept losing year after year at the end. They signed a DOMINANT Moses Malone that summer and proceeded to dominate the playoffs. Dude WON the MVP the year before. (And that championship year!!!!). I'm pretty sure bron would't been "loyal" to the Cavs if they brought in the caliber of a Moses Malone to his team.

Again, stop bringing Lebron to everything. Every great player has other great players around him. That's how you win championships. They might not have done it the way Lebron did but he was the first MAJOR athlete in the information age. Magic told people he wouldn't show up to camp if drafted by team x, only wanted the Lakers. There are countless examples of players talking about joining up but its not scrutinized nearly enough because of the age we live in with any C-list "reporoter" tweeting anything he hears 24/7. Enough with this nonsense already.

abe_froman
06-11-2013, 11:56 AM
Please don't bring Lebron into this. .
i dont know why,its an apt comparison. alot of criticism that lebron has had,especially pre heat, were also said of dr.j .and to get the hype that dr.j had in the 70's and a sense of how good he was in his era

Chronz
06-11-2013, 12:16 PM

Is that what the documentary made you believe?

Hangtime
06-11-2013, 01:08 PM
At least he still had his championships with the Nets. I'm sure Doc respects them just the same even when most didn't. Great documentary by the way. He was an inspiration and influence to many greats who came after. First year in the league and takes Philly to the finals. No shame to losing to Magic/Kareem twice and Bird teams. They should have teamed him and Moses sooner. Kareem might have had less ships.

Swashcuff
06-11-2013, 01:10 PM

As a 76ers fan I find this completely idiotic. Dr J didn't win until Moses came along and we were finally good enough to beat the Lakers, that's called having a competent front office for getting a top 5 player in the league to put alongside Irving. He had a better cast of player around him than any team LeBron has ever or will ever player for.

Mikeleafs
06-11-2013, 02:02 PM
Please don't bring Lebron into this. The documentary also specifically talked about how he couldn't do it alone, he needed help, they kept losing year after year at the end. They signed a DOMINANT Moses Malone that summer and proceeded to dominate the playoffs. Dude WON the MVP the year before. (And that championship year!!!!). I'm pretty sure bron would't been "loyal" to the Cavs if they brought in the caliber of a Moses Malone to his team.

Again, stop bringing Lebron to everything. Every great player has other great players around him. That's how you win championships. They might not have done it the way Lebron did but he was the first MAJOR athlete in the information age. Magic told people he wouldn't show up to camp if drafted by team x, only wanted the Lakers. There are countless examples of players talking about joining up but its not scrutinized nearly enough because of the age we live in with any C-list "reporoter" tweeting anything he hears 24/7. Enough with this nonsense already.

The point is he didn't quit and stuck with the Sixers... He didnt call up his buddies to create a super team. He stuck with and he did get help with managements help. I respect him for his determination. He competed and won his ring the right way.

Mikeleafs
06-11-2013, 02:03 PM
As a 76ers fan I find this completely idiotic. Dr J didn't win until Moses came along and we were finally good enough to beat the Lakers, that's called having a competent front office for getting a top 5 player in the league to put alongside Irving. He had a better cast of player around him than any team LeBron has ever or will ever player for.

Time will tell...

tredigs
06-11-2013, 02:28 PM
The point is he didn't quit and stuck with the Sixers... He didnt call up his buddies to create a super team. He stuck with and he did get help with managements help. I respect him for his determination. He competed and won his ring the right way.

Go away. You're the type of guy who insists on ruining every thread. Ignorantly, at that.

ChicagoJ
06-11-2013, 02:30 PM
I started watching the nba the year after dr. J retired. I just remember the respect he had and when mj came into his own many would talk about dr. J and how he paved the way for players like that.

I also remember when he was an analyst for NBC, doing the halftime show for Sunday games. No bs just straight b ball talk that was unique to him. He was reserved with no over the top hype you see today. Great insight.

I didn't see this show, but hope to see it soon. Dr j definitely one of the great stars we've had in the game.

RateSports
06-11-2013, 07:42 PM

This thread is about the class and admiration of Julius Erving. So since this thread is about class and appreciating it, why are you even here?

JerseyPalahniuk
06-11-2013, 07:56 PM
I started watching the nba the year after dr. J retired. I just remember the respect he had and when mj came into his own many would talk about dr. J and how he paved the way for players like that.

I also remember when he was an analyst for NBC, doing the halftime show for Sunday games. No bs just straight b ball talk that was unique to him. He was reserved with no over the top hype you see today. Great insight.

I didn't see this show, but hope to see it soon. Dr j definitely one of the great stars we've had in the game.

Curious what you mean by that? Couldn't really find any clips online about his commenting. Anything specific/general?

D-Leethal
06-11-2013, 08:45 PM
What an awesome doc. Those pictures from the Rucker with hundreds of dudes in the trees and on the rooftops was ****ing legendary. **** like that is why New York will always be the Mecca of Basketball. Recognize fools.

Chronz
06-11-2013, 08:49 PM
What an awesome doc. Those pictures from the Rucker with hundreds of dudes in the trees and on the rooftops was ****ing legendary. **** like that is why New York will always be the Mecca of Basketball. Recognize fools.

Respect

jam
06-11-2013, 08:54 PM
Aw, crap. Missed that scene.

I felt as if the docu could have been twice as long and still been absolutely riveting.

One huge aspect of his life that the docu completely skipped was his relationship with his daughter alexandra stevenson, born out of wedlock. That story could actually have been the topic matter for an entire docu in and of itself.

D-Leethal
06-11-2013, 08:54 PM
Respect

People get it twisted sometimes, MSG was never the Mecca. New York is the Mecca. MSG is just the arena our team plays in. The game of basketball is much bigger and has much deeper roots than just the NBA.

D-Leethal
06-11-2013, 08:56 PM
Forreal though.

http://streetball.com/photo/dr-j-rucker-park

ChicagoJ
06-12-2013, 11:56 AM
Curious what you mean by that? Couldn't really find any clips online about his commenting. Anything specific/general?

I don't think he was doing the nbc analyist role for long. Maybe a season or two. I looked it up and it was 1993.

The only quote I remember is how he would talk about players being in their nba prime from ages 28 to 32.