PDA

View Full Version : Do you frown upon or approve of players taking less money to benefit your team?

nba pundit
06-10-2013, 10:34 PM
people tend to frown on lebron and the crew for taking paycuts so they could team up, but isn't this a good thing? is it not respectable of players to take paycuts for the benefit of the team. kobe has a 30mil+ contract. people say he cares so much about a championship, but he really ruined the lakers cap space by doing so.

Jtirado16
06-10-2013, 10:36 PM
I approve it 100%. I think that after next year Kobe will take a paycut just to keep winning

#LakersNation

king4day
06-10-2013, 10:43 PM
I haven't seen anyone rip a player for taking less money to play for a team.

amos1er
06-10-2013, 10:55 PM
Taking a pay cut is a ***** *** move if you ask me. It's an unfair advantage that not everyone can take advantage of. Most players are trying to get every penny they can out of a contract while some players can ride their endorsements till the cows come home either way. In essence, certain players who have enough hype to garner tv commercials and endorsement deals where they earn mega bucks so they don't have to worry about making all their money through their NBA contracts.

Dade County
06-10-2013, 10:58 PM
people tend to frown on lebron and the crew for taking paycuts so they could team up, but isn't this a good thing? is it not respectable of players to take paycuts for the benefit of the team. kobe has a 30mil+ contract. people say he cares so much about a championship, but he really ruined the lakers cap space by doing so.

I don't know if this is a troll thread so Laker fans can just come in here and start flaming
your 3 post account history.

But of course it's great for the fans when an athlete takes a little less to make a team better. Only haters and or jealous fans, will see it differently.

What... ? :laugh2:

How many post I've seen over the past 3 seasons, about how Lbj ruined the NBA for taking less money... blah, blah, blah!

Riodagoat
06-10-2013, 11:00 PM
There are 2 "logical" reasoning for idiots out there:

Player wants a max contract? He's a selfish prick who wants all the fame and money for himself. Doesn't about about winning or his team, for that matter.

Player takes a pay cut? He's a scared lil ***** and can't win it all by himself. He will always need good player around him to succeed.

There's never enough reasons.

RiceOnTheRun
06-11-2013, 01:02 AM
Taking a pay cut is a ***** *** move if you ask me. It's an unfair advantage that not everyone can take advantage of. Most players are trying to get every penny they can out of a contract while some players can ride their endorsements till the cows come home either way. In essence, certain players who have enough hype to garner tv commercials and endorsement deals where they earn mega bucks so they don't have to worry about making all their money through their NBA contracts.

lolwut
This is hilarious. Why not just have the NBA put a price tag on each player eh? Miami did it so they could still have room to work with in FA. Dirk is gonna do the same thing in Dallas so they can sign a few max players. Tim Duncan did the exact same thing this year, with his 3 years 30m contract. (http://www.businessinsider.com/tim-duncan-cut-salary-half-to-keep-spurs-2013-5)

It's not all about the money. Ask most superstars and they'd probably give up at least 25% of their salary if it meant they could sign another great player to win a ring.

NeverSayNevur
06-11-2013, 01:31 AM
LeBron and company "taking a paycut" is a huge myth conjured up by ESPN to brainwash the less acute viewers. In reality, they still made max dollars, but their contracts were designed to be backloaded so that the cap hit during the first few years would not be as big.

NeverSayNevur
06-11-2013, 01:32 AM

Take Kobe off the books and they still won't have enough to sign another guy.

bholly
06-11-2013, 01:49 AM
LeBron and company "taking a paycut" is a huge myth conjured up by ESPN to brainwash the less acute viewers. In reality, they still made max dollars, but their contracts were designed to be backloaded so that the cap hit during the first few years would not be as big.

Um, no?
Their 2009-10 salaries were each $15,779,913. Under the rules at the time, they could sign for 105% of that in 2010-11, with 10.5% raises each year for 6 years.
That's $16,568,909; $18,308,644; $20,048,379; $21,788,115; $23,527,850; $25,267,586 for a total of $125,509,483 over 6 years.

Instead LBJ and Bosh took $14,500,000 in the first year, which with max 10.5% raises gave
$14,500,000; $16,022,500; $17,545,000; $19,067,500; $20,590,000; $22,112,500 for a total of $109,837,500 over 6 years.

Wade took $14,200,000 in the first year, which with max 10.5% raises gave
$14,200,000; $15,691,000; $17,182,000; $18,673,000; $20,164,000; $21,655,000; for a total of $107,565,000 over 6 years.

In short, LBJ and Bosh took $15,671,983 less over 6 years, and Wade took $17,944,483 less over 6 years.

This info is readily available - read up before you spew that sort of nonsense and insult other people.

TRF929
06-11-2013, 02:55 AM
It's not about taking less money to benefit the team that people are against, but how LBJ, BOSH AND WADE did it. Duncan's been doing it for the past 5 years, restructuring contract to help with salary relief, as well as others but not many people realize.

IndyRealist
06-11-2013, 03:29 AM

You can't backload a max deal, because there's a limit to how much a player can make in a single season, either 30% of the cap or how much they made last season + a percentage raise (I think it's 7.5%), whichever is higher. By definition if you left any money off any season of the deal, it's not a max deal.

On the OP, how many players does this really apply to, anyway? Lebron/Wade/Bosh, Arenas and Duncan. I can't think of any other player who could have gotten max, and chose not to. I can't think of anyone else since max salaries were put in after Garnett got his $126M deal.

SportsFanatic10
06-11-2013, 03:35 AM

lol

anyways of course it's something that benefits your team, so fans should approve of it. pretty much only the haters looking for new ways to put down certain players would see anything wrong with it.

Pistol_Pete
06-11-2013, 01:37 PM
I don't think people frown upon the players for taking less money. I think think people frown upon the the fact that players are teaming up to make mini all-star teams. That's what annoys people. For example, if Dwight Howard were to come out in the summer and take a way smaller contract to go to Brooklyn and say "this is where I've wanted to be and I'm willing to do what it takes to be here, even if that's less money" I think people would respect him more.

I think for certain players, taking less money benefits them. Certainly everyone on the Heat is making more money being in three straight Finals than they would be if LeBron/Wade/Bosh were just each putting up 25/10 on different teams but making fully maxed out money.

koreancabbage
06-11-2013, 01:52 PM

i'm pretty sure if Lebron went to LA, your perspective would change.

what if Lebron went to LA and played with Kobe and Lebron was clearly the better player? and Kobe took less money to get it done.

what would you say then?

t_money25
06-11-2013, 01:53 PM
By some of the logic I'm getting from most of these posts, I guess winning has no value anymore. Sign the biggest contract that you can and hope for the best.......SMH

The only reason this is even an issue for some is because the Heat players have done it and succeeded in doing so.

Goose17
06-11-2013, 03:45 PM
People seriously think players taking a pay cut due to loyalty to their team is a bad thing? You're all crazy as faeces.

ManRam
06-11-2013, 04:06 PM

There is this guy named LeBron James...

but he's a walking double standard.

TheTreys
06-11-2013, 04:30 PM
I think its fair wen they sign they should take less money to prove that it's about winning n not jus the money. If teams were aloud to take less money, teams like the Heat would cut there salary jus to bring another star player. So if u really wanna help out your team, I think they should jus do so wen they sign during F.A.

MarkieMark48
06-11-2013, 05:05 PM
Didnt Karl Malone and Gary Payton sign with LA for league minimums to try to win a championship?

ChitownBears22
06-11-2013, 05:09 PM
Didnt Karl Malone and Gary Payton sign with LA for league minimums to try to win a championship?

Shhhhhhh doesn't count. It was the Lakers.

IndyRealist
06-11-2013, 05:10 PM
I don't think people frown upon the players for taking less money. I think think people frown upon the the fact that players are teaming up to make mini all-star teams. That's what annoys people. For example, if Dwight Howard were to come out in the summer and take a way smaller contract to go to Brooklyn and say "this is where I've wanted to be and I'm willing to do what it takes to be here, even if that's less money" I think people would respect him more.

I think for certain players, taking less money benefits them. Certainly everyone on the Heat is making more money being in three straight Finals than they would be if LeBron/Wade/Bosh were just each putting up 25/10 on different teams but making fully maxed out money.

Players don't make a substantial amount of money in the playoffs. There's bonuses, sure, but unless it's built into their contracts the money only matters to the end of bench guys.

I think its fair wen they sign they should take less money to prove that it's about winning n not jus the money. If teams were aloud to take less money, teams like the Heat would cut there salary jus to bring another star player. So if u really wanna help out your team, I think they should jus do so wen they sign during F.A.

English, man. I mean, how did you come up with "aloud" instead of "allowed"? And "wen" isn't even a word.

MarkieMark48
06-11-2013, 05:28 PM
Shhhhhhh doesn't count. It was the Lakers.

my bad

Delrayhc
06-11-2013, 05:35 PM

Yet another amazing post by you.

In a greed filled society I hope i never see you complain about a player choosing money over winning. What would you think of your little buddy if he chooses to take less here soon?

ChitownBears22
06-11-2013, 05:39 PM

In a greed filled society I hope i never see you complain about a player choosing money over winning. What would you think of your little buddy if he chooses to take less here soon?

Future

It was a ***** move for LeBron to do it because he was 26 and entering his prime. Kobe did it to benefit the team because he cares about winning and he was making too much money for his performance capability.

B'sCeltsPatsSox
06-11-2013, 05:45 PM
Wait, are there people really crucifying players for taking paycuts to help benefit their team now?:laugh2:

king4day
06-11-2013, 06:44 PM
What... ? :laugh2:

How many post I've seen over the past 3 seasons, about how Lbj ruined the NBA for taking less money... blah, blah, blah!

I have seen people get upset with the way he ditched Cleveland as well as the fact that it was so blatant that the 3 paired up in Miami.

But if players decide they will take less than market value to put together a contender, then so be it. You can't get upset at a player for putting success ahead of money.
That's why I never took issue with Lebron on that aspect of his signing. For me, it was the way he left Cleveland.

I understand others feel different but I just wanted to defend my opinion.

There is this guy named LeBron James...

but he's a walking double standard.

I never felt that the reason people were upset with him was due to taking less. It was just the way he left Cleveland. It's admirable (like Duncan ) to take less to help make your team better.

RiceOnTheRun
06-11-2013, 08:39 PM

:laugh::laugh:
I'm sure if Lebron wanted to come to LA, Kobe would probably be more than willing to take 15m off his salary for that. But that's not a scumbag move, it's Kobe ****ing Bryant.