PDA

View Full Version : Sacramento Kings Interested in Kenny Smith as new GM

KnickaBocka.44
06-10-2013, 05:55 PM
http://www.cbssports.com/nba/blog/eye-on-basketball/22385158/kenny-smith-talking-to-sacramento-about-gm-position

USA Today reported Sunday night that former Houston Rocket and current TNT analyst Kenny Smith has been approached by the Sacramento Kings regarding their vacant GM position.

The former Kings player and TNT commentator told USA TODAY Sports on Sunday night that he has been in discussions with new owner Vivek Ranadive. Longtime general manager Geoff Petrie has been told that he will not be re-signed after his contract expires later this month, and Smith is clearly hoping to be part of the new regime.

"We've been talking; we've been talking," Smith said. "That's all I'm going to say."

But Smith wasn't afraid to campaign for his own cause, admitting that he's looking for his next challenge after becoming one of the most prominent and entertaining voices in the basketball world.

"I've been winning my whole life," Smith said. "I've been blessed to be a winner. So whatever happens, whatever I do, I'm going to win an Emmy next year or I'm going to try to win an NBA championship or I'm going to try to win in cards. I'm a winner. I'm a winner. I've been blessed in my whole life, so I think I have a clear vision."

via TNT's Kenny Smith enters Sacramento Kings' GM search.

It's an interesting idea, but it does carry some risk. In recent years, the successful GMs have been those who combine business strategies (like analytics, organizational structure, and business philsophies) with basketball gamesmanship and knowledge. Smith is almost certain to be a traditional former-player GM who relies very little on anything outside of his wheelhouse. You have to feel confident in your opinion on matters to talk about them on television as much as Smith does, and that kind of confidence can leave you blind to other approaches.

That said, few people understand the league as Smith does, and as he pointed out, seven times in the course of one quote, he's had success at every level. So Smith could be a bold new option for Sacramento. But if here are more qualified candidates available, the Kings should opt for them over the name value of Smith.

Discuss.

lamzoka
06-10-2013, 06:08 PM
I love kenny smith on Inside the NBA. He's a great analyst unlike fatboy chuck and shaq. im not sure about a GM tho.

Ryan328
06-10-2013, 06:17 PM
Stick to TNT/ Inside The NBA Kenny

KnickaBocka.44
06-10-2013, 06:19 PM
I think he would be great as a GM. He knows players and their tendencies, what their strengths and weaknesses are, and has been involved in coaching youth and trying to develop players at young age for a while. Not to mention, a lot of GM's don't have experience actually playing a game, and I think that would be a great advantage for him, especially having played with some of the all-time greats in Houston (Olajuwon, Drexler, Barkley) and in college at UNC.

On top of knowing players, he also knows what makes a great coach. In high school he played for Jack Curran, a man who has won more baseball and basketball games at the High School level than anyone in the history of the U.S. and has been inducted into 9 HoF's. In college he played for one of the greatest of all-time, the great Dean Smith and in the pro's he won two Championships under Rudy Tomjanovich.

There isn't an aspect of the game that he doesn't understand exceptionally well and I think he can be the guy to finally turn the Kings around, if he decides to accept the position.

D-Leethal
06-10-2013, 06:32 PM
He is on another stratosphere compared to his co-workers when it comes to basketball intelligence. I think too many guys on PSD seem to think its impossible for a newcomer to step into the coaching or GM game and succeed off the bat. These guys all gotta start somewhere. They aren't going in there blind and they aren't going in there solo. He will have an entire front office ready to help him make the best decisions. He is the guy who will weigh all the options and have the final say but its not like hes going to have to step in and do all the legwork and come up with all the solutions and make all the decisions without tons of input, thats not how these things work. He is a very bright dude.

RLundi
06-10-2013, 07:09 PM
Can't stand Kenny Smith. Or that annoying accent. Only Chris Mullin is worse. Mark Jackson is an honorable mention.

KingPosey
06-10-2013, 07:29 PM
I don't think this helps our franchise really. We need to win and show we are ready to win by picking people that do win.

Our head coaching hire and our possible new GM don't prove that to me really. The coach was a loyalty hire from our new owner and Kenny was a King but the loyalty isnt enough for this city now. We want people that are desperate to win..

KnickaBocka.44
06-10-2013, 07:43 PM
I don't think this helps our franchise really. We need to win and show we are ready to win by picking people that do win.

Our head coaching hire and our possible new GM don't prove that to me really. The coach was a loyalty hire from our new owner and Kenny was a King but the loyalty isnt enough for this city now. We want people that are desperate to win..

What does Kenny's loyalty, or lack there of from your perspective, have anything to do with his desire to win?

He was a winner for almost the entirety of his basketball career, from high school all the way through the pros.

If you're a Kings fan, you'll be picking from a very small pool of names if you need your GM to be someone who has been a proven winner while staying loyal to the Kings franchise.

Sly Guy
06-10-2013, 07:50 PM
not sure I believe any of the TNT crowd is good enough for a GM gig.

seikou8
06-10-2013, 07:57 PM
why not give him a shot good iq and really good analyst

mgsports
06-10-2013, 08:44 PM
Yes he Miller,Shaquille,Barkley,Smith,Scott,Berry,Webber would be good.

TrueFan420
06-10-2013, 08:55 PM
Dumb move if the kings do this

Tony_Starks
06-10-2013, 11:26 PM
not sure I believe any of the TNT crowd is good enough for a GM gig.

Compared to some of these other GMs he's a major upgrade. Ask Wolves, Suns, Raptor, or Piston fans....

KingPosey
06-10-2013, 11:44 PM
What does Kenny's loyalty, or lack there of from your perspective, have anything to do with his desire to win?

He was a winner for almost the entirety of his basketball career, from high school all the way through the pros.

If you're a Kings fan, you'll be picking from a very small pool of names if you need your GM to be someone who has been a proven winner while staying loyal to the Kings franchise.

I never said a word about a la k of loyalty, you missed the point. In fact i was calling it a loyalty hire in Regards to the headcoach, and bringing back an old throw back name from the franchises Sac roots.

i am saying forget the loyalty stuff, or nostalgia, try snd go after someone with tangible success. He has no resume, track record, or even experience from a front office standpoint. Playing the game doesn't count, as we've seen.

Fans of Sac want to see something tangible, no matter how small.

c.c.
06-10-2013, 11:46 PM
I've always wanted him to be a part of the Rockets organization, not the GM but a smaller role

KingPosey
06-10-2013, 11:49 PM
Yes he Miller,Shaquille,Barkley,Smith,Scott,Berry,Webber would be good.

I do genuinely believe CWebb has become a student of the game as he's aged.

KnickaBocka.44
06-11-2013, 03:15 AM
I never said a word about a la k of loyalty, you missed the point. In fact i was calling it a loyalty hire in Regards to the headcoach, and bringing back an old throw back name from the franchises Sac roots.

i am saying forget the loyalty stuff, or nostalgia, try snd go after someone with tangible success. He has no resume, track record, or even experience from a front office standpoint. Playing the game doesn't count, as we've seen.

Fans of Sac want to see something tangible, no matter how small.

I hate to break it to you, but if there is a GM who has had success and is coveted by other teams, he certainly isn't looking at the Kings as a great opportunity. They are going to have to have to find a diamond in the rough somewhere, that is just being realistic.

sunsfan88
06-11-2013, 05:59 AM
Why does everyone on Inside the NBA want to become a GM?

First it was Barkley, now Smith...whose next, Shaq?

KingPosey
06-11-2013, 08:18 AM
I hate to break it to you, but if there is a GM who has had success and is coveted by other teams, he certainly isn't looking at the Kings as a great opportunity. They are going to have to have to find a diamond in the rough somewhere, that is just being realistic.

I don't believe that for a second, and not just a GM, but a coach as well. There are enough names that sit that we could have someone entertain a pitch. We landed Adelman pretty easily. Basketball is a different breed when it comes to GMs and coaches. It's not IMPOSSIBLE to land a name with some qualifications.

KnickaBocka.44
06-11-2013, 03:48 PM
I don't believe that for a second, and not just a GM, but a coach as well. There are enough names that sit that we could have someone entertain a pitch. We landed Adelman pretty easily. Basketball is a different breed when it comes to GMs and coaches. It's not IMPOSSIBLE to land a name with some qualifications.

When the Kings signed Adelman he was coming off of back to back sub-.500 seasons with the Warriors. Next.

The 916 Guy
06-11-2013, 05:35 PM
When the Kings signed Adelman he was coming off of back to back sub-.500 seasons with the Warriors. Next.

And before that he coached the Trailblazers to the playoffs for six straight years. Next.

True Sports Fan
06-12-2013, 09:27 PM

Larry Bird says hello.

cvietti23
06-12-2013, 10:27 PM
mike Malone was very coveted throughout the league.

KnickaBocka.44
06-13-2013, 01:40 PM
And before that he coached the Trailblazers to the playoffs for six straight years. Next.

That's irrelevant to the conversation we were having.

KnickaBocka.44
06-13-2013, 01:42 PM
Larry Bird says hello.

Correction-- Larry Bird says he's not interested.

KnickaBocka.44
06-13-2013, 01:44 PM
mike Malone was very coveted throughout the league.

as an assistant.

Ebbs
06-13-2013, 02:06 PM
meh I don't know if he'd be any good.