PDA

View Full Version : 2013 NBA Finals' Game 1 TV viewership declines

JordansBulls
06-10-2013, 07:28 AM
http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nba-finals-game-1-tv-230141374--nba.html

NEW YORK (AP) -- The NBA Finals' television viewership for Game 1 was down 12 percent from last year.
The San Antonio Spurs' win over the Heat on Thursday night on ABC was watched by 14.2 million people. That's down from Miami's appearances the previous two seasons, 16.2 million against Oklahoma City in 2012 and 15.2 against Dallas in 2011, but higher than the six years before that.

effen5
06-10-2013, 09:27 AM
I don't find either team that appealing

ManRam
06-10-2013, 09:44 AM
obviously last year was a much better story, no offense to duncan and parker.

Dade County
06-10-2013, 09:45 AM
People are fed up of the rigging ( even though they don't even really know if it's rigged ); they are tired of the bad calls.

Or it could just be, that the Spurs don't interest people, like we all know already.

ATX
06-10-2013, 09:48 AM
IDC about viewership. This is a great Finals. Too bad for those that don't want to watch, their loss.

Max.This
06-10-2013, 10:04 AM
NBA is trying too hard to push Lebron onto viewers its disgusting when I turn on sportscenter and constantly find them talking about nothing else. Watching the NBA is like watching the WWE on a bigger scale.

4milesperday
06-10-2013, 10:25 AM
The no drama Spurs are boring. People like uncertainties, physical plays but the Spurs don't provide either.

jmoney23
06-10-2013, 10:44 AM
NBA is trying too hard to push Lebron onto viewers its disgusting when I turn on sportscenter and constantly find them talking about nothing else. Watching the NBA is like watching the WWE on a bigger scale.

This. LeBron is John Cena. They overload SC with Finals coverage and most of it is Heat related and most of that is LeBron. Stop forcing him on us and focus on a fair legue with good officiating Stern.

FYL_McVeezy
06-10-2013, 10:52 AM
People are fed up of the rigging ( even though they don't even really know if it's rigged ); they are tired of the bad calls.

Or it could just be, that the Spurs don't interest people, like we all know already.

It's hard for me to get excited for an NBA series when 95% of the time I know the outcome before the game is played.

JerseyPalahniuk
06-10-2013, 11:03 AM
WHO would've thought?? Durant/Westbrook/Ibaka are more exciting to watch for the casual fan than 30+ year olds Duncan/Parker/Ginoboli

JerseyPalahniuk
06-10-2013, 11:05 AM
It's hard for me to get excited for an NBA series when 95% of the time I know the outcome before the game is played.

Did you think the Spurs would win game 1? Did you think Spurs would sweep the Grizz? Did you think Pacers would take the Heat to game 7? Did you think the BUlls would win game 1? If you predicted 3 of those 5, I commend your expert NBA prediction capabilities. No matter how "rigged" the conspirators think the league is, I'm having lot of fun watching the top 2 teams in the NBA go at it.

FYL_McVeezy
06-10-2013, 11:15 AM
Did you think the Spurs would win game 1? Did you think Spurs would sweep the Grizz? Did you think Pacers would take the Heat to game 7? Did you think the BUlls would win game 1? If you predicted 3 of those 5, I commend your expert NBA prediction capabilities. No matter how "rigged" the conspirators think the league is, I'm having lot of fun watching the top 2 teams in the NBA go at it.

No but I knew the Grizz and Pacers had no chance in hell at making the finals....and I know no matter how long this series goes Miami will be the champs....

To each is own your viewpoints on whether the league is rigged or not....at the end of the day NBA is entertainment anyways..

Heatcheck
06-10-2013, 11:16 AM
This. LeBron is John Cena. They overload SC with Finals coverage and most of it is Heat related and most of that is LeBron. Stop forcing him on us and focus on a fair legue with good officiating Stern.

you get what you ask for, same thing with lebrons free agency. if all you want to do is speculate about the man all day, and start threads and websites, the people making money off of you take notice, and give you more of what you want, until you stop and become obsessed with the next guy.

JerseyPalahniuk
06-10-2013, 11:19 AM
No but I knew the Grizz and Pacers had no chance in hell at making the finals....and I know no matter how long this series goes Miami will be the champs....

To each is own your viewpoints on whether the league is rigged or not....at the end of the day NBA is entertainment anyways..

You said game not series. I predicted the Heat/Spurs before the playoffs even startedl. I don't watch the whole series at one sitting. I watch individual games. And they are highly entertaining, as you said. There wouldn't be hundred of online forums dedicated to the sport of the game was boring. And neither you nor I can predict the outcomes of individual games. Especially at a 95% success rating LOL.

NYKnickFanatic
06-10-2013, 11:19 AM
WHO would've thought?? Durant/Westbrook/Harden are more exciting to watch for the casual fan than 30+ year olds Duncan/Parker/Ginoboli

Fixed.

BigBlueCrew
06-10-2013, 11:23 AM
David Stern didnt rig finals properly. What does he care? He's leaving.

FYL_McVeezy
06-10-2013, 11:42 AM
You said game not series. I predicted the Heat/Spurs before the playoffs even startedl. I don't watch the whole series at one sitting. I watch individual games. And they are highly entertaining, as you said. There wouldn't be hundred of online forums dedicated to the sport of the game was boring. And neither you nor I can predict the outcomes of individual games. Especially at a 95% success rating LOL.

Yea that was my mistake I meant series.....but nonetheless it's getting redundant....

If you don't have a marketable star, you cannot even sniff an NBA finals (with the exception of the Pistons in 04) Truth be told....the Indy's and Memphis of the world can get hot and win a title on an even playing field..but that just isn't allowed to happen...

RaiderLakersA's
06-10-2013, 11:53 AM
Weren't there reports that last year's Finals ratings were also fairly unimpressive? I suspect that the numbers should be slightly higher for game 2.

But it wouldn't shock me if the ratings are low for the series as a whole. This isn't the most compelling match up. When you compound that with the fact that there is a tinge of disfavor surrounding both teams (e.g., San Antonio is boring, while Miami is the LeBrons 2.0), the series falls short of "Must-see TV."

If you're a Spurs or Heat fan, ignore the ratings and enjoy the series. No one but the NBA execs should care about viewership. What are they gonna do, cancel the Finals mid-series like a bad sitcom? I don't think so! Nothing will stop you from beaming when your team is hoisting the championship trophy.

JC_
06-10-2013, 12:10 PM
"but higher than the six years before that."

The Flash
06-10-2013, 12:34 PM
People read what they want and understand what suits them. Those are still pretty good ratings for a finals game

Stinkyoutsider
06-10-2013, 12:35 PM
The Spurs style of play isn't appealing to casual fans imo.

Discliplined and efficient but slow paced and very few high flyers to make big plays in the transition game.

effen5
06-10-2013, 01:18 PM

I didn't even think about this but you are so RIGHT. Lebron to me is a huge turn off because the NBA is trying to push Lebron onto viewers nonstop.

Lets face it, he's not Michael Jordan, and the Heat are not the 90's Bulls. Just let them be themselves and stop pushing Lebron and the Heat.

ManRam
06-10-2013, 01:21 PM

I know. It sucks that it's a sport where the best team actually wins far more frequently in the playoffs than other sports!!!

ChitownBears22
06-10-2013, 01:22 PM
Haha people still watch ESPN. LeBron is polarizing that is why they talk about him. Same with Tebow, Manning/Luck, Tiger Woods. ETC. They are ratings driven. Most viewers don't have an opinion about the Spurs, everyone has an opinion on the HEAT and LeBron.

ChitownBears22
06-10-2013, 01:23 PM
I know. It sucks that it's a sport where the best team actually wins far more frequently in the playoffs than other sports!!!

You don't say. I wonder if these same people were bored through the 90's or the early 2000's

OceanSpray
06-10-2013, 01:25 PM
Lmao, wow, I love it. People are saying they are shoving LeBron down our throats? They did the same with MJ but you all bow down to him. Spurs are just a boring team. There is no rivalry, no interest, and excitement to the game. All these viewers are off Miami's fanbase. Spurs don't have the same story as OKC. Durant vs James was 2012 NBA finals. Also, LeBron was chasing that first ring still.

ManRam
06-10-2013, 01:26 PM
You don't say. I wonder if these same people were bored through the 90's or the early 2000's

I'm going to guess most of them weren't old enough to remember the 90s.

OceanSpray
06-10-2013, 01:27 PM
I didn't even think about this but you are so RIGHT. Lebron to me is a huge turn off because the NBA is trying to push Lebron onto viewers nonstop.

Lets face it, he's not Michael Jordan, and the Heat are not the 90's Bulls. Just let them be themselves and stop pushing Lebron and the Heat.

LeBron draws ratings. You don't like it, shut your TV off. Fact is LeBron draws huge ratings and people will turn the TV on when his name comes up. No one wants to hear about Tim Duncan. ESPN makes money off ratings and thus why they shove LeBron down our throats. MJ was shoved down everyone throats. I guess since he's MJ, he gets a freebie? Make up your mind, there are more people who would rather see James on TV than not. Watch your hardwood classics on YouTube if you want to watch the oldschool players.

Chronz
06-10-2013, 01:35 PM

You must have hated the 90's.

Teeboy1487
06-10-2013, 01:39 PM

No way Lebron is as bad as John Cena.

effen5
06-10-2013, 01:55 PM
LeBron draws ratings. You don't like it, shut your TV off. Fact is LeBron draws huge ratings and people will turn the TV on when his name comes up. No one wants to hear about Tim Duncan. ESPN makes money off ratings and thus why they shove LeBron down our throats. MJ was shoved down everyone throats. I guess since he's MJ, he gets a freebie? Make up your mind, there are more people who would rather see James on TV than not. Watch your hardwood classics on YouTube if you want to watch the oldschool players.

Yeah there are a couple of finals that says otherwise....including the last time he played the Spurs in the finals.

Chronz
06-10-2013, 01:58 PM
Yeah there are a couple of finals that says otherwise....including the last time he played the Spurs in the finals.
What about the last time he was in the Finals WITHOUT The Spurs?

That Finals should tell you what we've known for years, people dont like watching the Spurs destroy teams. Its amazing that despite the Spurs being in the Finals yet again, this series has (thus far) still ranked more highly than those over the last 5-6 years.

Lemme guess, people dont like watching Kobe, the Celtic-Lakers rivalry either? Maybe people just dont like the NBA....? Where are you going with this?

effen5
06-10-2013, 02:00 PM

That Finals should tell you what we've known for years, people dont like watching the Spurs destroy teams. Its amazing that despite the Spurs being in the Finals yet again, this series has (thus far) still ranked more highly than those over the last 5-6 years.

Lemme guess, people dont like watching Kobe, the Celtic-Lakers rivalry either? Maybe people just dont like the NBA....? Where are you going with this?

But he's still Lebron right? Shouldn't he provide ratings regardless of what team he's playing against? TBH, I think society in general don't like the NBA right now.

JordansBulls
06-10-2013, 02:01 PM

The last 3 years ratings still was better than Boston/LA in 2010 and 2008 FWIW.

LongIslandIcedZ
06-10-2013, 02:08 PM
I dont think the league is rigged, although I do think Stern and company definitely have their favorites that they would like to see win.

I just cant stand the Lebron circle jerk 24-7. I understand he is the best, and could potentially go down as the first or second best ever. I started out being a Lebron "hater," but I have come to appreciate that I am probably watching greatness, and I have even come to like him. But, I dont need to hear about him every hour of every day. There are other players and another team in the finals.

He's an incredible player, but he's being shoved down my throat everywhere I look.

effen5
06-10-2013, 02:09 PM
I dont think the league, although I do think Stern and company definitely have their favorites that they would like to see win.

I just cant stand the Lebron circle jerk 24-7. I understand he is the best, and could potentially go down as the first or second best ever. I started out being a Lebron "hater," but I have come to appreciate that I am probably watching greatness, and I have even come to like him. But, I dont need to hear about him every hour of every day. There are other players and another team in the finals.

He's an incredible player, but he's being shoved down my throat everywhere I look.

This was all I was trying to say.

LayBraun
06-10-2013, 02:10 PM
This has absolutely nothing to do with the Heat and everything to do with the Spurs. Can you imagine a Spurs-Pacers final? Damn the ratings would be horrendous.

Chronz
06-10-2013, 02:16 PM

I hear this alot from people but I just dont get it, is it the fact that I dont watch ESPN shows unless Im linked to them from a board like this one?

Do you guys constantly watch SC or something? How does someone get shoved down your throat? The other day on radio, guys were wondering why Bron doesn't get as many commercials as some former NBA stars. Given that hes easily the best player in the game, shouldn't he be at the top? Hes not.

To me it seems like we see much more from CP3, Durant, Blake than we do from Bron in terms of TV ads. So how does he get shoved? Should the NBA/companies stop promoting its stars? What exactly do you guys want to see changed because its obvious that whats best for the NBA (if they are going to promote anyone) is to promote/discuss its greatest players.

Mr_Jones
06-10-2013, 02:16 PM

It is.

LayBraun
06-10-2013, 02:28 PM
LeBron isn't even nearly as shoved down our throats as he could be. Holy ****. You want to know what being shoved down someone's throat means? Tiger f'ing Woods and Brett Favre. Those two players were shoved down our throats and no one else.

LongIslandIcedZ
06-10-2013, 02:38 PM
I hear this alot from people but I just dont get it, is it the fact that I dont watch ESPN shows unless Im linked to them from a board like this one?

Do you guys constantly watch SC or something? How does someone get shoved down your throat? The other day on radio, guys were wondering why Bron doesn't get as many commercials as some former NBA stars. Given that hes easily the best player in the game, shouldn't he be at the top? Hes not.

To me it seems like we see much more from CP3, Durant, Blake than we do from Bron in terms of TV ads. So how does he get shoved? Should the NBA/companies stop promoting its stars? What exactly do you guys want to see changed because its obvious that whats best for the NBA (if they are going to promote anyone) is to promote/discuss its greatest players.

If you dont watch a lot of ESPN, then I can see why you wouldnt feel that way. I tend to watch a lot of ESPN, and it can be unbearable at times. ESPN takes certain topics and stars and drill them into the viewers skulls.

If you're not a big ESPN fan, I wouldnt expect you to hate the Lebron circle jerk

True Sports Fan
06-10-2013, 02:42 PM
This is basically old generation (Spurs) Vs. New Generation (Heat)

If you don't like true efficient championship basketball, then simply just don't watch. Most people probably want high flying basketball, but I love the Basketball played by Spurs.