PDA

View Full Version : JOEY CRAWFORD will ref 1st Spurs game tonight since getting suspended

Sandman
06-09-2013, 06:44 PM
http://espn.go.com/nba/playoffs/2013/story/_/id/9358219/2013-nba-finals-joey-crawford-veteran-referee-officiate-game-2-san-antonio-spurs-miami-heat

This could be game thread but this is incredible and its a side story. cant believe that they would do this in the finals.

Obvious distraction. Obvious slap in the face to Spurs. If it wasn't why would you let his first Spurs game be a finals game.

Not saying the game is fixed or nothing, but there's an obvious conflict here if the guy has been suspended before for his officiating in a Spurs game and particularly handling Tim Duncan, allegedly challenging him to a fight.... This game could be officiated perfectly and this is still a bull **** side show.

Lets combine the conspiracy theories. Popovich has cracked Tim Donaghy's da vinci code and knows what lineups to play vs certain refs. THIS is why he sent Duncan + Co. home and almost won back in Dec, Jan, as a nana boo boo to David Stern. This is Sterns answer, his number 1 goon , like one of the last bad guys Bruce Willis needs to fight before he gets to the russian terrorist in Die Hard 1.

SO Who is getting tossed tonight?

My money is on Duncan, obviously. I'll say Udonis Haslem because its his birthday. Probably one more guy gets into the mix. Norris Cole perhaps.

All that aside, am I over reacting? I mean the guy was suspended for a considerable chunk of time and hasn't reffed a Spurs game since because of it. Why now, in the Finals?

Max.This
06-09-2013, 06:46 PM
i don't see how any HEAt player could get upset with a spurs player to the point of getting tossed. The spurs are soo respectable and always say the right thing during interviews.

Chronz
06-09-2013, 06:47 PM
Spot light is on him, NO WAY does he do anything remotely controversial tonight.

D-Leethal
06-09-2013, 06:49 PM
Spot light is on him, NO WAY does he do anything remotely controversial tonight.

Agreed. In a reverse way this probably benefits the Spurs. He's going to be extra careful not to slight them that hes probably going to favor them in the process.

ManRam
06-09-2013, 06:51 PM

Yeah.

Either way, if the Heat win I'm sure 50% of this site will just blame it on him.

Max.This
06-09-2013, 06:52 PM
Yeah.

Either way, if the Heat win I'm sure 50% of this site will just blame it on him.

if it was officiated similarly to game 1, there should be no excuses

ManRam
06-09-2013, 06:56 PM
if it was officiated similarly to game 1, there should be no excuses

or if it was officiated like the 3 series before that the heat played. there was a hairy game against the bulls, but besides that even the most "REFS ALWAYS HELP THE HEAT" people haven't been able to bring anything up.

the refs have been solid these playoffs. i mean, bad calls here and there, and occasionally everywhere, but i don't think they've swayed anything really at all.

hopefully all the talk and attention ends up just being pregame stuff.

Celticsfan2007
06-09-2013, 06:58 PM
Wow NBA....

What a terrible move. Obvious conflict in interests.

This shouldn't happen

D-Leethal
06-09-2013, 06:58 PM
Yeah.

And if they lose, all the Heat fans will blame the refs. Its not a one way street here. You should probably get over it.

Slug3
06-09-2013, 07:02 PM
They just should not of had him ref the spurs game period.

GiantsSwaGG
06-09-2013, 07:03 PM
Crawford might be the worse ref in history

ChitownBears22
06-09-2013, 07:04 PM
Crawford might be the worse ref in history

worst dan ebery1?

ManRam
06-09-2013, 07:05 PM
And if they lose, all the Heat fans will blame the refs. Its not a one way street here. You should probably get over it.

For sure. I get PSD, bud. I understand how your ilk work.

But the Heat haters outweigh the Heat lovers.

ChitownBears22
06-09-2013, 07:06 PM
For sure. I get PSD, bud. I understand how your ilk work.

But the Heat haters outweigh the Heat lovers.

Truth. But very few HEAT fans blame the refs for a loss. Just a few......they know who they are. I usually blame Bosh, Wade, LeBron(rarely), Spo, or Battier's stupid face.

J4KOP99
06-09-2013, 07:07 PM
gotta make sure this is tied up by the end of tn...

ChitownBears22
06-09-2013, 07:08 PM
gotta make sure this is tied up by the end of tn...

Yeah a Laker fan talking about reffing. Lol

J4KOP99
06-09-2013, 07:14 PM
Yeah a Laker fan talking about reffing. Lol

huh? So what you're saying is that for any post/comment I make about reffing, I must also acknowledge that the Los Angeles Lakers have gotten favorable calls over the years? You are basically asking me to derail the thread? That should be a ban-able offense...

-Back on topic... Crawford should not be allowed to go near a Spurs game.

RiceOnTheRun
06-09-2013, 07:14 PM
Can someone just clarify for me, what his reasoning was behind the Tim Duncan ejection? He seemed to be a bit fired up explaining it to Pop and I am honestly really confused.

Also, I don't think anyone could complain about the calls in the first game. It was pretty well officiated. Let's please not start complaining if the Heat win this one, they're both great teams and I doubt either of them is getting swept.

--23--
06-09-2013, 07:19 PM
This guy shouldn't ref any game that involves the Spurs.

ChitownBears22
06-09-2013, 07:20 PM
huh? So what you're saying is that for any post/comment I make about reffing, I must also acknowledge that the Los Angeles Lakers have gotten favorable calls over the years? You are basically asking me to derail the thread? That should be a ban-able offense...

-Back on topic... Crawford should not be allowed to go near a Spurs game.

Well when you insinuate that a game is being rigged, it would make sense that you acknowledge you have been privy to some rigging yourself. Thus giving you credibility.

MrfadeawayJB
06-09-2013, 07:27 PM
I Agree this could work out in the spurs favor

HuRRiCaNeS324
06-09-2013, 07:30 PM
what's the record of the Spurs when joey crawford referees? i can't find it on google.

ChitownBears22
06-09-2013, 07:30 PM
Best thing that could happen: If the Spurs are up midway through the 4th quarter Duncan should just sucker punch crawford. Get a 1 game suspension and still have three games to closeout the series at home.

I would be very happy with this, if the Heat HAD to lose.

J4KOP99
06-09-2013, 07:31 PM
Well when you insinuate that a game is being rigged, it would make sense that you acknowledge you have been privy to some rigging yourself. Thus giving you credibility.

"privy" to some rigging? I think you got a little confused with the word selection there. It's always fun to use different words but you just have to make sure the word you use makes sense.

But it seems as if you have a strong dislike for the Lakers so this is about as far as our conversation is going to go.

J4KOP99
06-09-2013, 07:33 PM
I Agree this could work out in the spurs favor

You think crawford would over-compensate for the fact that everyone thinks he hates SA? It's not the worst idea... Knowing crawford's style, he will most likely have a major part in the outcome of this game.

MrfadeawayJB
06-09-2013, 07:34 PM
You think crawford would over-compensate for the fact that everyone thinks he hates SA? It's not the worst idea... Knowing crawford's style, he will most likely have a major part in the outcome of this game.

not necessarily over compensate but avoid making any call that will draw attention to himself

ChitownBears22
06-09-2013, 07:36 PM
"privy" to some rigging? I think you got a little confused with the word selection there. It's always fun to use different words but you just have to make sure the word you use makes sense.

But it seems as if you have a strong dislike for the Lakers so this is about as far as our conversation is going to go.

Pretty sure privy works in that sentence. It may not, you understand the point I was trying to make, correct?

Bruno
06-09-2013, 07:38 PM
he shouldn't be officiating a game this series. there are plenty of good refs to choose from who don't have a controversial history with one of the teams.

ChitownBears22
06-09-2013, 10:53 PM
So they HEAT didn't even need Crawford tonight.

OceanSpray
06-09-2013, 11:00 PM
Crawford hates Duncan. I can't believe he's still a referee.

Cal827
06-09-2013, 11:13 PM
This guy shouldn't ref any game.

Fixed :D

D-Will4Prez
06-09-2013, 11:34 PM
he shouldn't be officiating a game this series. there are plenty of good refs to choose from who don't have a controversial history with one of the teams.

Are you insinuating that Joey Crawford is a good referee in general?

*Superman*
06-09-2013, 11:38 PM
Heat won...conspiracy?

:D

kdspurman
06-10-2013, 10:40 AM
the reffing was not too bad.

there were about 2 or 3 kick balls that weren't called that lead to heat fast breaks which kind of sucked since they seemed pretty obvious. Other than a call here or there (probably from both sides), nothing too bad

JasonJohnHorn
06-10-2013, 01:06 PM
I would never let him officiate another Spurs game or another game with featuring Tim Duncan EVER again.

He may not do anything obvious, but there are always no less than a dozen calls a game that can go either way, or be a no call, and it is very possible for Crawford to call those against the Spurs without drawing much attention to himself.

He should not be officiating a game this important.

ChitownBears22
06-10-2013, 01:17 PM
the reffing was not too bad.

there were about 2 or 3 kick balls that weren't called that lead to heat fast breaks which kind of sucked since they seemed pretty obvious. Other than a call here or there (probably from both sides), nothing too bad

That looks like ball went through coles legs. I didn't see a change of direction or anything. Is there a better angle.

kdspurman
06-10-2013, 02:04 PM
That looks like ball went through coles legs. I didn't see a change of direction or anything. Is there a better angle.

that's actually my sig (from game 1), wasn't referring to that. there were a couple times Parker on a P & R would try the pocket pass and it was kicked, but didn't get called. Other than that, like I said I thought the officiating was ok. Not as good as game 1, but not bad either.

ManRam
06-10-2013, 02:21 PM
i think they were good. parker certainly didn't get the benefit of many calls, but they were consistent in regards to that with both teams.

besides that play that they brought in steve javie, they didn't really ever even mention the refs. JVG didn't really say anything disparaging about them at all either.

2 games, 2 well-officiated games.

Heatcheck
06-10-2013, 02:23 PM
that's actually my sig (from game 1), wasn't referring to that. there were a couple times Parker on a P & R would try the pocket pass and it was kicked, but didn't get called. Other than that, like I said I thought the officiating was ok. Not as good as game 1, but not bad either.

unless its intentional, its not a violation, i.e. if im gaurding someone in the post and the pg tries a bounce pass toward him and it hits my leg without trying to stick it out.

chipurmunki
06-13-2013, 06:01 AM
^wrong.

Tymathee
06-13-2013, 03:11 PM
and of course, the Spurs lost the game by a blow out.

btw, how the hell can an official whos been suspended be eligible to do a finals game? makes no sense.

Sandman
06-14-2013, 01:39 PM
and of course, the Spurs lost the game by a blow out.

btw, how the hell can an official whos been suspended be eligible to do a finals game? makes no sense.
He was suspended the rest of the season in (2007?) because of Duncan in a Spurs game and this is the first Spurs game since.

kdspurman
06-18-2013, 09:43 AM
He's back for Game 6 :laugh2:

(not a joke either)

BigBlueCrew
06-18-2013, 10:00 AM
He's back for Game 6 :laugh2:

(not a joke either)

Ok we're going to a Game 7. Light camera Action JJJJJOOOEEEEYYY your on!!

Swift Game
06-18-2013, 10:19 AM
Stern really wants to go out looking like a jack apparently.

Why even risk anything with this side show. I don't like seeing Crawfords face and his games.

Jdawg
06-18-2013, 10:56 AM
Hate Joey Crawford. Can't believe he's back in same series. Ken mauer sucks too.

kdspurman
06-18-2013, 11:02 AM
Hate Joey Crawford. Can't believe he's back in same series. Ken mauer sucks too.

Yea I'm not a fan of Ken Mauer either. Joey wasn't too bad in Game 2 I must admit. I hope that trend continues

h2r09
06-18-2013, 11:06 AM
So pathetic that the NBA rotates the same 4 horrible crews during the finals. The league is not rigged but they do no favors to themselves rotating these god awful and soemtimes downright incompetent refs during the most important time of the year.

FYL_McVeezy
06-18-2013, 11:13 AM
Joey Crawford reffing this game tonight = game 7 Thursday night

8kobe24
06-18-2013, 11:22 AM
Joey Crawford reffing this game tonight = game 7 Thursday night

+1
Effin Stern. Let the conspiracies begin, if it hasn't already begun.

LoveMeOrHateMe
06-18-2013, 11:28 AM
This guy shouldn't ref any game that involves the Spurs.

Or lakers, it's rare when the lakers win the big games when he refs

LoveMeOrHateMe
06-18-2013, 11:31 AM
Spurs will close it out **** the reffing

Clippersfan86
06-18-2013, 11:43 AM
The two times the Spurs have taken a lead Crawford is conveniently put in as lead ref.

Chronz
06-18-2013, 11:49 AM
Have you guys seen that study on Crawford reffed games for the Spurs?

8kobe24
06-18-2013, 11:59 AM
Have you guys seen that study on Crawford reffed games for the Spurs?

Never knew there was such a thing, please feel free to share...

Jarvo
06-18-2013, 12:27 PM
I have a good feeling Spurs close this out tonight :dance:

D-Leethal
06-18-2013, 12:30 PM
I have a good feeling Spurs close this out tonight :dance:

A lot of money to be made if you bet on them tonight. Miami are huge favorites, probably even moreso with this news about JC reffing tonight. I'm with you though, nobody steps on the throats of the opposition arguably in NBA history than the Spurs. Miami can play with fire against Indiana, but they are gonna get burned by SA.

rhino17
06-18-2013, 01:16 PM
Joey shouldn't be reffing any game, regardless of the teams. It's all about him when he is out there, not the quality of the game

amos1er
06-18-2013, 02:14 PM
Stern is a joke. He isn't even trying to be slick about **** anymore. Spurs had better bomb it up at the 3 point line tonight because they aren't gonna get any calls in the paint. Similarly, I can see Lebron shooting 15 plus FT attempts tonight.

Bruins2012
06-18-2013, 02:35 PM
looks like the NBA is going to make it a 7 game series.

ChicagoJ
06-18-2013, 02:44 PM
Just use the crew from last game. They were letting them play which is how it should be in the finals. Why choose such a controversial ref? Makes little sense.

Shlumpledink
06-18-2013, 02:56 PM
Joey Crawford is pretty good at nullifying home court advantage, unlike most nba refs, but he also has a bad history with Tim Duncan and the spurs, so I would say this is pretty neutral.

Lo Porto
06-18-2013, 03:02 PM
Game 1 was called extremely even and fairly. The Heat didn't lose games 3 and 5 because of the refs, but the refs definitely gave homecourt advantage to the Spurs. In Game 4, the refs even gave the Spurs the better end of the calls.

It would only be fair for the game tonight to be called with a little homecourt edge to Miami. It shouldn't be biased, but moving screens and stars not getting to the line should go against the Spurs tonight.

As for Game 7, it should be called exactly like Game 1. Best team wins.....

Lo Porto
06-18-2013, 03:06 PM
Spurs fans better not start complaining about the refs. They've had the better run from the refs the entire series. For crying out loud, Manu applied himself for the first time last game and he got more free throw attempts in that one game than the freaking MVP did in the first 3 games combined.

kdspurman
06-18-2013, 03:11 PM
Spurs fans better not start complaining about the refs. They've had the better run from the refs the entire series. For crying out loud, Manu applied himself for the first time last game and he got more free throw attempts in that one game than the freaking MVP did in the first 3 games combined.

The better run? That might be a bit of a stretch. The refs have had their moments for both sides. And take a look at the freaking MVP's shot chart for the finals, and that might be why he's not getting to the line as much. I know there's been missed calls on him driving at times, and it's been like that both ways.

Lo Porto
06-18-2013, 03:14 PM
The better run? That might be a bit of a stretch. The refs have had their moments for both sides. And take a look at the freaking MVP's shot chart for the finals, and that might be why he's not getting to the line as much. I know there's been missed calls on him driving at times, and it's been like that both ways.

What do you call those two screens at the end of last game? Duncan moves on screens every single pick and roll.

And do you realize that the Spurs were in the bonus 3 of 4 quarters in the Game 4 at the 6 minute mark of the quarter? They were shooting free throws for touch fouls in the 2nd quarter when the HEAT were trying to separate yet the Spurs still had a foul to give with 5 seconds left.

Lo Porto
06-18-2013, 03:15 PM
If you really think that LBJ didn't deserve one free throw attempt at all in Game 3, you obviously cannot be objective. I'm not even a HEAT fan. I'm a Jazz fan that just appreciates both the Spurs team play and LBJ's unselfish play.

JordansBulls
06-18-2013, 03:18 PM
Joey Crawford isn't the ref I am worried about it is the possibility of the guy who will ref game 7 that is the problem and that is Scott Fosters crew.

kdspurman
06-18-2013, 03:29 PM
If you really think that LBJ didn't deserve one free throw attempt at all in Game 3, you obviously cannot be objective. I'm not even a HEAT fan. I'm a Jazz fan that just appreciates both the Spurs team play and LBJ's unselfish play.

What do you call those two screens at the end of last game? Duncan moves on screens every single pick and roll.

And do you realize that the Spurs were in the bonus 3 of 4 quarters in the Game 4 at the 6 minute mark of the quarter? They were shooting free throws for touch fouls in the 2nd quarter when the HEAT were trying to separate yet the Spurs still had a foul to give with 5 seconds left.

I call them bad calls. Those tend to happen in an NBA game. The moving screen & travel are both calls that are obviously problems from a consistency point of view. Perfect example, when Parker did a euro step move last game, it got called for a travel. Wade did that same move in game 4 that was highlighted a ton and it was a great move. (Jeff Van Gundy pointed it out as well)

I saw several bad calls that favored Miami in the first quarter of game 5. (and have seen them several from both sides throughout all the games) It's easy to sit there and pin point bad calls for each team. Sure they might slightly favor the home team, that's usually the way it goes in this league. But the disparity is not that big as you're making it seem.

If you want to use say the refs are favoring the Spurs and use Lebron's lack of foul shots as the deciding factor then I don't think you're watching the games objectively. It's obvious he is not attacking as much as he normally does, and no he's not going to get to the line just cause of who he is when he does decide to drive in. Parker is not getting the same calls either in the paint, i've seen him take a number of hits in the paint and they didn't blow the whistle.

When Lebron attacks consistently and puts pressure on the defense, there's a good chance he gets to the line. But that just has not been the case.

Lo Porto
06-18-2013, 03:38 PM
I call them bad calls. Those tend to happen in an NBA game. The moving screen & travel are both calls that are obviously problems from a consistency point of view. Perfect example, when Parker did a euro step move last game, it got called for a travel. Wade did that same move in game 4 that was highlighted a ton and it was a great move. (Jeff Van Gundy pointed it out as well)

I saw several bad calls that favored Miami in the first quarter of game 5. (and have seen them several from both sides throughout all the games) It's easy to sit there and pin point bad calls for each team. Sure they might slightly favor the home team, that's usually the way it goes in this league. But the disparity is not that big as you're making it seem.

If you want to use say the refs are favoring the Spurs and use Lebron's lack of foul shots as the deciding factor then I don't think you're watching the games objectively. It's obvious he is not attacking as much as he normally does, and no he's not going to get to the line just cause of who he is when he does decide to drive in. Parker is not getting the same calls either in the paint, i've seen him take a number of hits in the paint and they didn't blow the whistle.

When Lebron attacks consistently and puts pressure on the defense, there's a good chance he gets to the line. But that just has not been the case.

I'll concede that LeBron hasn't attacked at his normal rate this series. However, there have been a ton of times he's gone to the hole, taken contact, and he hasn't gotten the call. Similar contact has sent Parker, Manu and the even Duncan to the line. Adding to the curiosity is that the refs have seemingly refused to give LeBron a three point play in this series. As everyone knows, a three point play is one of the biggest momentum builders. I think LeBron has gotten one in 5 games. That's with all the contact from Splitter, Duncan, Green, Leonard, Diaw, etc.

I just don't want this to become something that gets blamed on the refs. Spur fans are already setting the stage should they lose. All I wish they would acknowledge is that the Spurs have had it good this series so far.

Jdawg
06-18-2013, 03:42 PM
The Miami Reach's defense is based on taking risks, reaching for steals, and being really physical. The Spurs defense is not. There is a reason the Spurs fouled the least out of anybody in the NBA. So if foul calls are about even in a game between these two it can almost be argued that the Heat are getting the benefit there.

There were two points in game 5 where the refs single handily got the Heat back into the game. It's laughable that anyone would complain on behalf of the Heat.

As a Spurs fan, I am not complaining about the refs other than their just plain awfulness and unprofessionalism. The refs performance evaluations need to be transparent to ALL. Maybe then we can understand why a terrible ref like Joey Crawford gets to ref TWO Finals Games. Finals game are suppose to be reserved for the best of the best.

Jdawg
06-18-2013, 03:43 PM
I'll concede that LeBron hasn't attacked at his normal rate this series. However, there have been a ton of times he's gone to the hole, taken contact, and he hasn't gotten the call. Similar contact has sent Parker, Manu and the even Duncan to the line. Adding to the curiosity is that the refs have seemingly refused to give LeBron a three point play in this series. As everyone knows, a three point play is one of the biggest momentum builders. I think LeBron has gotten one in 5 games. That's with all the contact from Splitter, Duncan, Green, Leonard, Diaw, etc.

I just don't want this to become something that gets blamed on the refs. Spur fans are already setting the stage should they lose. All I wish they would acknowledge is that the Spurs have had it good this series so far.

No the Spurs have not had it "good" from the refs this series. Get the hell out of here.

Lo Porto
06-18-2013, 03:47 PM
The Miami Reach's defense is based on taking risks, reaching for steals, and being really physical. The Spurs defense is not. There is a reason the Spurs fouled the least out of anybody in the NBA. So if foul calls are about even in a game between these two it can almost be argued that the Heat are getting the benefit there.

There were two points in game 5 where the refs single handily got the Heat back into the game. It's laughable that anyone would complain on behalf of the Heat.

As a Spurs fan, I am not complaining about the refs other than their just plain awfulness and unprofessionalism. The refs performance evaluations need to be transparent to ALL. Maybe then we can understand why a terrible ref like Joey Crawford gets to ref TWO Finals Games. Finals game are suppose to be reserved for the best of the best.

In Game 5, the refs kept the Heat out of the game. That call on Mike Miller is something the Spurs do constantly. The call on LeBron was less than Duncan does on every screen at the top of the key when he shuffles underneath people and extends his arms.

Spur fans are so delusional. Just because you play team ball doesn't mean you don't get the better calls from the refs. LeBron got 6 FT attempts in the first 3 games combined. I don't care what defense you are playing. That is ridiculously low for anybody much less a guy who got 35 rebounds and endures the contact on so many plays.

kdspurman
06-18-2013, 03:50 PM

I don't think I've seen many Spurs fans set the stage for that, I've seen others comment on it and say that but not necessarily Spurs fans. Regarding the rest, I don't think Parker has been to the line as much as he normally does. Actually, I know he hasn't. Manu had a breakout game, and I don't doubt that the crowds energy didn't reward him with a few fouls called in his favor. Even then, he only had 8 and it's cause of his reputation of being a flopper that he doesn't get rewarded when he really is fouled. (Lebron took 9 last game) I know there was a missed and 1 for Lebron.

There was also a big momentum swing that favored Miami. They called out of bounds on Kawhi Leonard when he was forced/pushed out by Battier which resulted in a Miami 3 and a subsequent timeout/Pop going nuts on the official. Hell, the officials had to get word from the TV crew to review Manu's first shot yesterday. Tony Brothers was staring right at Manu and ruled it a 3. No referee gave the signal to replay. It was the right call they made so in that respect I'm glad they changed it, but since when does someone from the TV crew tell the refs to go review a play??

When I say it's been bad on both ends, it's the truth. Like I said before, Joey Crawford wasn't terrible in game 2 & I hope that trend continues

Slug3
06-18-2013, 03:51 PM

As much as those screens killed Miami's momentum, miller was out of bounds and that illegal and Lebron lowered his shoulder. They were both the correct calls. I get people get away with it all the time, but you can't really justify it by saying everyone else gets away with it. Yes it sucked, but they were correct calls.

Jdawg
06-18-2013, 03:51 PM
In Game 5, the refs kept the Heat out of the game. That call on Mike Miller is something the Spurs do constantly. The call on LeBron was less than Duncan does on every screen at the top of the key when he shuffles underneath people and extends his arms.

Spur fans are so delusional. Just because you play team ball doesn't mean you don't get the better calls from the refs. LeBron got 6 FT attempts in the first 3 games combined. I don't care what defense you are playing. That is ridiculously low for anybody much less a guy who got 35 rebounds and endures the contact on so many plays.

You're one of those guys that probably doesn't watch the game or at best casually watch it and then draw conclusions after the fact based on the Box Score.

There are so many examples I could throw at you that clearly show the refs getting the Heat back into game 5 but it's not worth it. I'm not complaining about the refs but to say the Spurs have been getting the upper hand in that department is absurd.

kdspurman
06-18-2013, 03:53 PM

That's your opinion. I guess the refs also made Lebron & Wade choose to not run back on defense and lead to a transition 3 or layup. They did it several times... Honestly, to be really petty, it would be easy for me to watch every minute of every game and note down every bad call that favored Miami. And I could do the same for the Spurs. I bet if you actually look at it from both ends, you'd be surprised that they wouldn't be too far off.

And you should watch the Spurs more or closer. They don't set out of bounds screens constantly. They set baseline screens.

You can check out everything the Spurs run on the below link. Let me know where you find a guy setting a screen out of bounds. (btw Kawhi was called for that a couple times this season)

http://spursmotionoffense.blogspot.com/

Lo Porto
06-18-2013, 03:56 PM
Let me clarify - I'm a neutral fan. I root for the Jazz and have no stake in this series. I just want to see good, fair basketball. I'm not a Heat fan over here blaming the refs for a loss.

My point is simply that the Spurs have had homecourt advantage from the refs when playing at home. Even in Game 4 that Miami won, the Spurs had every opportunity to come back from the line. We all know that Game 1 was called perfectly even. The game was left up to the players with no head scratching ref moves to ponder. It is my hope that the games are called evenly for Game 6 or 7. If I was a Spur fan, I wouldn't even be upset should the game be called slightly in Miami's favor due to homecourt like Games 3-5 were called for SA. However, if I was a Miami fan and SA gets more of the little calls again tonight, then I think they have the right to be pissed.

Slug3
06-18-2013, 03:58 PM
Let me clarify - I'm a neutral fan. I root for the Jazz and have no stake in this series. I just want to see good, fair basketball. I'm not a Heat fan over here blaming the refs for a loss.

My point is simply that the Spurs have had homecourt advantage from the refs when playing at home. Even in Game 4 that Miami won, the Spurs had every opportunity to come back from the line. We all know that Game 1 was called perfectly even. The game was left up to the players with no head scratching ref moves to ponder. It is my hope that the games are called evenly for Game 6 or 7. If I was a Spur fan, I wouldn't even be upset should the game be called slightly in Miami's favor due to homecourt like Games 3-5 were called for SA. However, if I was a Miami fan and SA gets more of the little calls again tonight, then I think they have the right to be pissed.

I think everyone knows that refs usually give the home team the benefit of calls. The crowed also helps in this as well. But nothing was so outrageous the last 3 games that it changed the game for the Spurs.

ChitownBears22
06-18-2013, 04:01 PM
I am not going to read through this post. Is Crawford reffing game 6?

Lo Porto
06-18-2013, 04:07 PM
You're one of those guys that probably doesn't watch the game or at best casually watch it and then draw conclusions after the fact based on the Box Score.

There are so many examples I could throw at you that clearly show the refs getting the Heat back into game 5 but it's not worth it. I'm not complaining about the refs but to say the Spurs have been getting the upper hand in that department is absurd.

You're absolutely wrong. I'm a guy in my mid-30's who knows how to watch a freaking basketball game. Why didn't Leonard get the call for that bump on the baseline? Because SA had gotten free throws or a foul called for them on 4 of 5 possessions before that contact. At some point, the refs were going to give a 50-50 or maybe a 60-40 call to Miami after that stretch.

Lo Porto
06-18-2013, 04:10 PM
I think everyone knows that refs usually give the home team the benefit of calls. The crowed also helps in this as well. But nothing was so outrageous the last 3 games that it changed the game for the Spurs.

I agree 100%. And you're right, nothing done the last 3 games changed the course of the game. However, if there's a close game tonight won by Miami and Miami received some homecourt advantage, then Spur fans should acknowledge that it's part of the game since they had a little home cooking too.

kdspurman
06-18-2013, 04:21 PM
I agree 100%. And you're right, nothing done the last 3 games changed the course of the game. However, if there's a close game tonight won by Miami and Miami received some homecourt advantage, then Spur fans should acknowledge that it's part of the game since they had a little home cooking too.

Why should any Spurs fan acknowledge that? It's a given 9/10 in the NBA the home team gets the nod most times. Which is why you need to play that much better on the road. Unless it's absolutely blatant like other series have been in the past, then I think the only thing you'll see Spurs fans acknowledging is the team making stupid mistakes, or Miami wanting it more. You seem to want to go a different route though. Even though you're unbiased as a Jazz fan...

Lo Porto
06-18-2013, 04:39 PM
Why should any Spurs fan acknowledge that? It's a given 9/10 in the NBA the home team gets the nod most times. Which is why you need to play that much better on the road. Unless it's absolutely blatant like other series have been in the past, then I think the only thing you'll see Spurs fans acknowledging is the team making stupid mistakes, or Miami wanting it more. You seem to want to go a different route though. Even though you're unbiased as a Jazz fan...

Why can't a Spurs fan just admit that they had a good run with the refs at home over the 3 games? Not one of the games was called as evenly and unbiased as Game 1. But instead, you all got to act like a bunch of entitled know it alls. The Spurs didn't win because of the refs. I'm not saying that so you can stop your crying.

KnickaBocka.44
06-18-2013, 04:42 PM

Yes he is. Get your popcorn ready.

kdspurman
06-18-2013, 04:46 PM
Why can't a Spurs fan just admit that they had a good run with the refs at home over the 3 games? Not one of the games was called as evenly and unbiased as Game 1. But instead, you all got to act like a bunch of entitled know it alls. The Spurs didn't win because of the refs. I'm not saying that so you can stop your crying.

Funny, I do remember mentioning (http://forums.prosportsdaily.com/showthread.php?822326-JOEY-CRAWFORD-will-ref-1st-Spurs-game-tonight-since-getting-suspended&p=26463258#post26463258) it might have favored the home team. In fact, I said it several times Gotta pay attention man. But in all honesty, it sounds like you're the one crying over the refs. I'm simply disputing some of the stuff you're saying. Go back and read all my responses to you. I said they favored the home team and that's to be expected. And I disputed your theory about Lebron not getting FT's because you seemed to think because he wasn't getting to the line, that he wasn't getting any calls. Which of course, was highly inaccurate.

8kobe24
06-18-2013, 06:02 PM

yep.

8kobe24
06-18-2013, 06:05 PM
Yes he is. Get your popcorn ready.

He don't need none. Heat fans can practically sleep through game 6. Stern has guaranteed game 7...

ChitownBears22
06-18-2013, 06:20 PM
He don't need none. Heat fans can practically sleep through game 6. Stern has guaranteed game 7...

this is just an ignorant post. I only saw it because I wasn't logged in and it didn't ignore it for me. But I will address it.

Spurs win- You say "what a great game, reffed well and no way Miami was screwed because Stern wants $$$".

Spurs lose- Rigged because Stern wants more $$$$.

Either way you have an out to play.

GO HEAT!

HeatDynasty1213
06-18-2013, 06:24 PM
Crawford will surely try and screw the Heat tonight to seem impartial, won't be anything new the refs have been against the Heat all playoffs long.

8kobe24
06-18-2013, 06:28 PM
this is just an ignorant post. I only saw it because I wasn't logged in and it didn't ignore it for me. But I will address it.

Spurs win- You say "what a great game, reffed well and no way Miami was screwed because Stern wants $$$".

Spurs lose- Rigged because Stern wants more $$$$.

Either way you have an out to play.

GO HEAT!

Really now? Lies and ignorance lol. I have nothing to gain from seeing lebron lose...ok maybe a chuckle. Relax chigaco heat fan whose grandma prints tickets for the heat...Like the conspiracy theorists have said...game 7.

amos1er
06-18-2013, 06:29 PM
Just use the crew from last game. They were letting them play which is how it should be in the finals. Why choose such a controversial ref? Makes little sense.

It makes perfect sense. From a financial standpoint that is.

I'm sure Stern chose him for "basketball reasons".

8kobe24
06-18-2013, 06:29 PM
Crawford will surely try and screw the Heat tonight to seem impartial, won't be anything new the refs have been against the Heat all playoffs long.

A different angle...interesting. Don't you think he'll be fired by papa stern if he pulled something like that?

Sandman
06-18-2013, 08:07 PM
I don't care about the calls at this point.

The game could be the best officiated game of all time, this is still a blatant distraction and a blatant act of disrespect toward one team.

Take any conspiracy theory or bad block/charge calls out of it -- Has there ever been a referee accused of challenging a player to a fight? Has there ever been a referee suspended other than Donaghy and Crawford?

If this wasn't a conflict, why hasn't a referee as experienced and otherwise well regarded as Crawford refereed a single Spurs game since the suspension?

Again, all bad calls aside all conspiracies aside, it is a 100% certainty that the league suspended him for his interactions with Duncan and also is the reason he hasn't reffed a Spurs game since. Why is it that the first two games are in the finals? Its a blatant act of disrespect to Pop and the Spurs, almost like more spiteful BS for sending those 4 guys home.

It doesn't matter if the Spurs should be professionals and just play the game -- there is no reason this is necessary.

Chronz
06-18-2013, 08:45 PM
Why is it that the first two games are in the finals?

They werent, he reffed other games these playoffs for the Spurs. And historically there is no evidence that he really costs the Spurs in games.

ThaDubs
06-18-2013, 08:47 PM
Why was he suspended?

Sandman
06-18-2013, 09:24 PM

There's a lot of that when it comes to LeBron. They see low FG% and low fouls as bad calls. Maybe... just maybe... he's having a hard time getting to the rim, and he's shooting the ball more... :speechless:

Sandman
06-18-2013, 09:28 PM
They werent, he reffed other games these playoffs for the Spurs. And historically there is no evidence that he really costs the Spurs in games.
son of a ***** I think ESPN got me on reading comprehension

Joey Crawford will be one of the three officials Sunday in Game 2 of the NBA Finals, marking the first time that the veteran referee will call a Finals game involving the San Antonio Spurs since his controversial ejection of Tim Duncan during the 2006-07 season.

Even if he calls a perfect game, isn't it a distraction to have a ref that challenged you to a fight?