PDA

View Full Version : Prime Shaq in today's nba

tm95835
06-09-2013, 10:29 AM
Looking at how badly Hibbert smacked up miami in the conference finals it shows how poor the centre spot is today when it comes to traditional low post beasts. If shaq played against todays miami he would dominate, nobody on that team could stop him, bosh would probably cry.

Yes shaq dominated the nba in his prime anyway (threepeat), but say he was put on the bobcats or magic now, they would instantly be title contenders, orlando would almost be a lock to make the finals

Becks2307
06-09-2013, 10:32 AM
35 and 15 lol it would be ridiculous

jimm120
06-09-2013, 10:35 AM
Ewing, Shaq, Hakeem, Robinson, etc...they all ate up the league before and even MORE so now if they weren't playing together.

king4day
06-09-2013, 10:36 AM
You bring up a valid point with the lack of beastly centers. If someone like Hibbert (smaller stature compared to prime Shaq) could dominate, imagine what a prime Shaq would be doing in todays league.

3's set u free
06-09-2013, 10:47 AM
Shaq has become so underrated. He would dominate any era, this era no different. You can argue he was the most dominate player in nba history in his prime 2000, 2001

3RDASYSTEM
06-09-2013, 10:55 AM
He'd do what he did when he was primed at LSU

just go watch the game film from his LSU days and that should be enough proof of what he would do to the league of today, it wouldn't be a pretty sight

its funny to think a primed SHAQ according to psd is his 3peat span with LA

just imagine the primed SHAQ you missed for 4yrs in ORL, pure nasty prime SHAQ, how in the hell do you think he scored a 130mil or so contract as a free agent to LA? im pretty sure it was from being primed(super good) based on his previous yrs of nba play right

prime=super good unstoppable=true definition
psd prime= best 3-5yr stretch or rings as best player on team/finals mvp=mediahype definition

ManRam
06-09-2013, 11:00 AM
i think today's centers on a whole are very solid defensively. why they are perceived as being weak are for offensive purposes, and i think that's fair. he could very well put up better offensive numbers, but i don't think it would be by too much.

but yes, his presence would probably be slightly more impacting that it already was. he'd dominate any era though; probably the earlier eras more so than now.

LAKobeBryant
06-09-2013, 11:01 AM
It's pretty obvious i think....

Clippersfan86
06-09-2013, 11:04 AM
i think today's centers on a whole are very solid defensively. why they are perceived as being weak are for offensive purposes, and i think that's fair. he could very well put up better offensive numbers, but i don't think it would be by too much.

but yes, his presence would probably be slightly more impacting that it already was. he'd dominate any era though; probably the earlier eras more so than now.

He averaged nearly 30 ppg multiple seasons against MUCH tougher competition so why wouldn't it be much more than current centers? Dwight is the only center to break 20 ppg the last 5 years I believe. Shaq would no doubt be averaging 32/13/3/3/1.5 on insane efficiency and win multiple titles as the man (again).

Peak Shaq was THE most dominant player ever IMO, more so than Jordan. He was 7'1 340 pounds for his prime. There is just NO WAY anybody can do anything to him now. You think it's bad when Dwight has 30 free throw games.. should might be having 40-50 free throw games, fouling out 6 or 7 guys.

xxplayerxx23
06-09-2013, 11:07 AM
Shaq on the bobcats would be difficult. Playoffs yes but true contender not so sure

waveycrockett
06-09-2013, 11:11 AM
Prime Shaq is the most dominant player I have ever seen. MJ is the best but Shaq was unstoppable. If he got the ball within 10 feet of the rim it was game over. He would destroy these current centers.

Swashcuff
06-09-2013, 11:24 AM
Why is the centre position so weak? Injuries. Bogut, Bynum, Oden and Yao all suffered from them greatly. As for people saying Hibbert dominated? Say what now? Hibbert had a good series against a team who has no recognized post defenders, no way Hibbert plays that way against Memphis, Chicago, New York, Golden State (with Bogut), San Antonio etc

As for Shaq he'd be very much the same player he was at his team in 00s IMO. I don't understand where the extra rebounds come from because he was never an all time elite calibre rebounder, he himself said this when he compared himself to Brook :laugh2: but the points would absolutely be there

Swashcuff
06-09-2013, 11:28 AM
He averaged nearly 30 ppg multiple seasons against MUCH tougher competition so why wouldn't it be much more than current centers? Dwight is the only center to break 20 ppg the last 5 years I believe. Shaq would no doubt be averaging 32/13/3/3/1.5 on insane efficiency and win multiple titles as the man (again).

Peak Shaq was THE most dominant player ever IMO, more so than Jordan. He was 7'1 340 pounds for his prime. There is just NO WAY anybody can do anything to him now. You think it's bad when Dwight has 30 free throw games.. should might be having 40-50 free throw games, fouling out 6 or 7 guys.

Brook did it and Amare did it while playing the C but he's a natural PF playing out of position.

Clippersfan86
06-09-2013, 11:28 AM
Why is the centre position so weak? Injuries. Bogut, Bynum, Oden and Yao all suffered from them greatly. As for people saying Hibbert dominated? Say what now? Hibbert had a good series against a team who has no recognized post defenders, no way Hibbert plays that way against Memphis, Chicago, New York, Golden State (with Bogut), San Antonio etc

As for Shaq he'd be very much the same player he was at his team in 00s IMO. I don't understand where the extra rebounds come from because he was never an all time elite calibre rebounder, he himself said this when he compared himself to Brook :laugh2: but the points would absolutely be there

I think now the supposed top defensive centers like Chandler, Hibbert and Gasol are nowhere CLOSE to as dominant defensively as Big Ben, Mutombo, Zo, Ewing, Hakeem, Robinson etc crop that Shaq dealt with. I just think a 2-5 ppg scoring difference is likely, although I agree rebounding wouldn't really change much. 3 ppg, 1 rpg, 1 bpg increase or something like that which is substantial.

Clippersfan86
06-09-2013, 11:29 AM
Brook did it and Amare did it while playing the C but he's a natural PF playing out of position.

Brook only got to like 19.7 ppg or something I thought, which is why I didn't include him. I had him originally, then edited it out before posting. Amare is a PF like you said, at least in my eyes. Either way... Shaq would score 30 ppg.

waveycrockett
06-09-2013, 11:39 AM

Shaq averaged 11.2 rebounds for his career. That is awesome.

waveycrockett
06-09-2013, 11:41 AM

Very true. People dont realize that if those guys stay healthy the Center position looks completely different. It would be like Ewing, Robinson and Shaq all suffering career ending injuries. Nobody would look at 90's at the era of great Centers.

Swashcuff
06-09-2013, 11:44 AM
I think now the supposed top defensive centers like Chandler, Hibbert and Gasol are nowhere CLOSE to as dominant defensively as Big Ben, Mutombo, Zo, Ewing, Hakeem, Robinson etc crop that Shaq dealt with. I just think a 2-5 ppg scoring difference is likely, although I agree rebounding wouldn't really change much. 3 ppg, 1 rpg, 1 bpg increase or something like that which is substantial.

Thing is we look at guys like Zo, Ewing, Hakeem and forget that those aren't the only guys Shaq went up against Shaq went up against the Rik Smits, Luc Longleys, Brad Millers, Rashos, etc as well. About the same way he performed against the big boppers, I don't think less big boppers would automatically result in Shaq getting 5 more points per game.

Teeboy1487
06-09-2013, 11:46 AM
Brook only got to like 19.7 ppg or something I thought, which is why I didn't include him. I had him originally, then edited it out before posting. Amare is a PF like you said, at least in my eyes. Either way... Shaq would score 30 ppg.
Brook Lopez did average over 20 ppg in the 2010-2011 season. He played all 82 games as well.

Swashcuff
06-09-2013, 12:06 PM
Shaq averaged 11.2 rebounds for his career. That is awesome.

List of the 10 greatest rebounders ever, is Shaq anywhere there?

JasonJohnHorn
06-09-2013, 12:15 PM
Shaq is one of many centers who would dominate the league today. Hakeem. Robinson. Ewing. Mourning. Kareem. Wilt. Hell, Olden Polynice would dominate the league today!

Clippersfan86
06-09-2013, 12:26 PM
Thing is we look at guys like Zo, Ewing, Hakeem and forget that those aren't the only guys Shaq went up against Shaq went up against the Rik Smits, Luc Longleys, Brad Millers, Rashos, etc as well. About the same way he performed against the big boppers, I don't think less big boppers would automatically result in Shaq getting 5 more points per game.

Funny enough is guys like Rik Smits, Luc Longley, Brad Miller.... would be among the better centers today. Didn't Smits and Miller both make all star teams when the center crop was much stronger?

Clippersfan86
06-09-2013, 12:27 PM
Brook Lopez did average over 20 ppg in the 2010-2011 season. He played all 82 games as well.

Same year.. I just thought it was 19 and some change. Point is it's very rare.

waveycrockett
06-09-2013, 12:31 PM
List of the 10 greatest rebounders ever, is Shaq anywhere there?

I wouldn't say 10 greatest rebounders ever but he certainly was one of the best during his time and he didn't even try very hard at it.

waveycrockett
06-09-2013, 12:33 PM
Funny enough is guys like Rik Smits, Luc Longley, Brad Miller.... would be among the better centers today. Didn't Smits and Miller both make all star teams when the center crop was much stronger?
Smits and Miller were both very good. Miller was a great passer.

Lakersfolife
06-09-2013, 12:52 PM
Shaq is one of many centers who would dominate the league today. Hakeem. Robinson. Ewing. Mourning. Kareem. Wilt. Hell, Olden Polynice would dominate the league today!

Wilt was the most dominate player ever, numbers show that, Shaq is the second most dominate player, and I guess Lebron might come in 3rd these players all have amazing athleticism. The best skill players would be Kobe, Jordan, Magic, West, ect. Players that not only relied on there physical game but had an amazing skills game.

Sly Guy
06-09-2013, 12:56 PM
shaq would chew up the rest of the league. Shaq was one of the most dominant players of all time, it's not everyday you come across a player which changes the rules of the game to maintain a competitive balance, or have an entire defensive strategy named after you.

lol, please
06-09-2013, 01:02 PM
He just retired, what a silly question. It hasn't changed drastically since then. Shaq would dominate, no one comes close. The gap between Shaq and Dwight is gargantuan.

OceanSpray
06-09-2013, 01:02 PM
It's unfair to say that because players aren't taught to play the center role like they were before. Shaq would dominate, but in any other era as well.

feelingit
06-09-2013, 01:17 PM
Prime Shaq would be far and away the best player in the league today. It wouldn't even be close.

Clippersfan86
06-09-2013, 01:34 PM
Prime Shaq would be far and away the best player in the league today. It wouldn't even be close.

I wouldn't go quite that far. Lebron we are seeing right now is a top 3 player all time IMO. I think Shaq would be more DOMINANT but Lebron wouldn't trail by a big gap. Especially because we all see how much perimeter players are babied now and how much of a perimeter oriented league it's become the last few years. Imagine the ****** offensive fouls Shaq would be called for with the league gone soft? He would be racking up flagrant fouls every other game too.

D-Leethal
06-09-2013, 01:35 PM
Very true. People dont realize that if those guys stay healthy the Center position looks completely different. It would be like Ewing, Robinson and Shaq all suffering career ending injuries. Nobody would look at 90's at the era of great Centers.

It would be deep but still very low on elite level talent. I don't think any C besides possibly Dwight would have a chance at being a top 5 C in the 90s.

Swashcuff
06-09-2013, 01:36 PM

Okay so if he played today do you think he'd be one of the greatest ever (because people are saying that he'd average 15 today).

D-Leethal
06-09-2013, 01:37 PM
Okay so if he played today do you think he'd be one of the greatest ever (because people are saying that he'd average 15 today).

His peak year was 13.6 (not counting the 13.9 his rookie year). I don't think its inconceivable if he played in the small ball era that he could average 15.

Swashcuff
06-09-2013, 01:39 PM

You're completely missing the point, though there were much better Cs back in the day there were poorer defensive/soft Cs as well and Shaq dominated them all almost as equally, it matters not who is his opponent he was every bit as dominant regardless. He'd be basically the same player now as he was then you won't see a major hike in his production, there is only so much a player can do on a basketball court.

Swashcuff
06-09-2013, 01:41 PM
His peak year was 13.6 (not counting the 13.9 his rookie year). I don't think its inconceivable if he played in the small ball era that he could average 15.

If he played in the small ball era he'd probably have to focus more on getting back quickly enough to D guard his man than crashing the defensive board. Howard was/is a better rebounder than Shaq regardless of era why hasn't it been easy for him to average 15 in recent years?

Clippersfan86
06-09-2013, 01:44 PM

I think he already is and yes I think he'd be even MORE dominant now. The only reservation I'd have is that now refs favor wing players greatly. I can already see Shaq overpowering people and getting called for bogus fouls left and right, simply because nobody can handle his strength. Peak wise I think Shaq is either the 1st or 2nd most dominant player of all time. Career wise he's top 10 probably as it is I feel.

Swashcuff
06-09-2013, 01:46 PM
I think he already is and yes I think he'd be even MORE dominant now. The only reservation I'd have is that now refs favor wing players greatly. I can already see Shaq overpowering people and getting called for bogus fouls left and right, simply because nobody can handle his strength. Peak wise I think Shaq is either the 1st or 2nd most dominant player of all time. Career wise he's top 10 probably as it is I feel.

You think Shaq is one of the greatest rebounders ever?

Clippersfan86
06-09-2013, 01:47 PM
You're completely missing the point, though there were much better Cs back in the day there were poorer defensive/soft Cs as well and Shaq dominated them all almost as equally, it matters not who is his opponent he was every bit as dominant regardless. He'd be basically the same player now as he was then you won't see a major hike in his production, there is only so much a player can do on a basketball court.

I don't think centers like Smits, Miller were soft at all. At least not any softer than now. Shaq made Dikembe look like a pu**y too, I don't think that changes now. The reason his numbers increase now have to do with centers now not understanding how to play in the paint and the overall crop of centers being a lot smaller and less talented.

Clippersfan86
06-09-2013, 01:48 PM
You think Shaq is one of the greatest rebounders ever?

No, greatest players. I think Shaq was a great rebounder but he's no Rodman or Wallace.

mikekhelxD
06-09-2013, 01:49 PM
He'll dominate, but will he get fouled out? When West was muscling his way inside the paint, he gets called for it. So, I don't know.

STAT1
06-09-2013, 01:51 PM

just go watch the game film from his LSU days and that should be enough proof of what he would do to the league of today, it wouldn't be a pretty sight

just imagine the primed SHAQ you missed for 4yrs in ORL, pure nasty prime SHAQ, how in the hell do you think he scored a 130mil or so contract as a free agent to LA? im pretty sure it was from being primed(super good) based on his previous yrs of nba play right

psd prime= best 3-5yr stretch or rings as best player on team/finals mvp=mediahype definition

That's not the definition of prime. Haha.

Clippersfan86
06-09-2013, 01:52 PM
He'll dominate, but will he get fouled out? When West was muscling his way inside the paint, he gets called for it. So, I don't know.

Yup. Like I said my biggest concern is reffing. Shaq faced MASSIVE double standards that to a lesser degree guys like Dwight, Griffin, West and a couple others face now. Basically players are allowed to beat the **** out of you because you're big or strong but the minute YOU get physical, the whistle starts blowing.

lol, please
06-09-2013, 01:55 PM

What is this nonsense? You have it all wrong. Prime means peak adulthood. mid 20s - mid 30s. Prime and "primed" mean two different things.

Swashcuff
06-09-2013, 01:57 PM
No, greatest players. I think Shaq was a great rebounder but he's no Rodman or Wallace.

Well the point you referred to was one of rebounding not overall.

D-Leethal
06-09-2013, 01:59 PM
If he played in the small ball era he'd probably have to focus more on getting back quickly enough to D guard his man than crashing the defensive board. Howard was/is a better rebounder than Shaq regardless of era why hasn't it been easy for him to average 15 in recent years?

Who said it would be easy? I don't think its inconceivable he might have had 1.1 more rebounds at his peak in this era. You do?

waveycrockett
06-09-2013, 02:04 PM
It would be deep but still very low on elite level talent. I don't think any C besides possibly Dwight would have a chance at being a top 5 C in the 90s.

Yao was extremely dominant and gave prime Shaq problems so no way I would consider him low level against the likes of D-Rob and Ewing. Oden was the best Center prospect to come out since Duncan even better than Dwight and Bynum was a stud.

Swashcuff
06-09-2013, 02:04 PM
Who said it would be easy? I don't think its inconceivable he might have had 1.1 more rebounds at his peak in this era. You do?

No I don't but do you think it's inconceivable that he'd average his career average in this era as well?

Clippersfan86
06-09-2013, 02:08 PM
Well the point you referred to was one of rebounding not overall.

My mistake. I misread it then.

D-Leethal
06-09-2013, 02:09 PM
No I don't but do you think it's inconceivable that he'd average his career average in this era as well?

Not really. But if I had to choose a side I'd say he would average a bit more in this era. Big power players have tendency to have monster games against smaller teams. This era has a higher number of small teams than the era Shaq played in. There are less legit 7 footers and the 4 spot has went from bruiser to hybrid perimeter threat. It doesn't sound like rocket science to me.

DillyDill
06-09-2013, 02:27 PM
Hell yesss Shaq would flat out destroy everyone in his path...but so would any of the top 10 centers alltime if you were to drop them in this era

Greedy22
06-09-2013, 03:02 PM
Prime Shaq could just turn his back to the hoop and back down an entire starting 5 with his booty lol, I think he'd average 30 and 12.

LongWayFromHome
06-09-2013, 11:47 PM
I don't know if anybody has mentioned this yet...

When shaq was totally dominating in the 99-04 neighborhood the league was pretty light on quality centers. Stronger than now but still a pretty weak crop of Cs

Chronz
06-10-2013, 12:46 AM
Not really. But if I had to choose a side I'd say he would average a bit more in this era. Big power players have tendency to have monster games against smaller teams. This era has a higher number of small teams than the era Shaq played in. There are less legit 7 footers and the 4 spot has went from bruiser to hybrid perimeter threat. It doesn't sound like rocket science to me.

Isnt the catch-22 that Shaq is what made having 7fters more of a necessity? The lack of power guys means you dont have 7 ft stiffs with the main purpose of dishing out 6 fouls.

Just a theory.

I think if Shaq were in his prime nowadays, teams would still be loading up on giants. Or maybe the (healthy)talent has dried up at the position.

Another thing regarding Shaq's rebounding, his % somewhat belie his rebounding prowess, given that some of those "available rebounds" were his own free throw misses.

amos1er
06-10-2013, 12:51 AM
It would change the game for sure. Other teams would be building their teams to adjust to him. Could easily put up monster numbers...especially with the lack of big men now a days.

AI
06-10-2013, 01:09 AM
Prima Shaq would foul out in every single game he played in "Today's NBA".

hugepatsfan
06-10-2013, 01:16 AM

How does other center not being able to average 20 PPG matter to how many points Shaq would score. There are plenty of fine defensive centers in the NBA today, even if they can't score. Not as good in the era Shaq played but good enough where he's not going Wilt on everybody.

RocketsWin2013
06-10-2013, 01:26 AM
I honestly think he wouldn't wreck Miami as much as he should.
David West was by far to me the strongest person on the court(when it comes down to using strength) and everytime he got on the lowblock, Miami flopped.

I think they would flop too much, making him irrelevant.

Lake_Show2416
06-10-2013, 01:30 AM
easily would b the best player in the league, prime shaq was listed at 7'1 375lbs, u cant stop him

Eg714
06-10-2013, 01:37 AM
No body in the nba would be able to guard a prime shaq. He would eat today's centers alive. It would be funny to see Bosh try and guard shaq. He would drop 50 on the heat.

Eg714
06-10-2013, 01:39 AM
How does other center not being able to average 20 PPG matter to how many points Shaq would score. There are plenty of fine defensive centers in the NBA today, even if they can't score. Not as good in the era Shaq played but good enough where he's not going Wilt on everybody.

Who in today's NBA could gaurd a prime Shaq? Marc gasol? He would get backed down with ease everytime.

DillyDill
06-10-2013, 02:15 AM
Prime Shaq would demolish anyone attempting to guard him in man. So do you guys think the whole league would just go zone on him?

hugepatsfan
06-10-2013, 02:22 AM
Who in today's NBA could gaurd a prime Shaq? Marc gasol? He would get backed down with ease everytime.

Back in Shaq's prime there was no one that could guard him. Offensively the C position is weak now but defensively it's still good. Maybe not as physical as older eras, but Shaq wouldn't be allowed to be as physical as he was offensively either so it balances out. He'd still be dominant, probably a littler better if his prime was today, but he wouldn't be averaging 45 points or anything ridiculous like that. He had seasons up close to 30 in his prime so he'd probably be up around 31-33 in his best years playing today IMO.

Mcdoh
06-10-2013, 03:07 AM
he will be the no.1 center in the league..i dont think d12 or hibbert can guard him..

tm95835
06-10-2013, 03:08 AM
A matchup of Dwight against shaq would be impressive. Dwight is one of the few of the past ten years to have the bulk to match shaq, he may not be 340 pounds but he is extremely strong and a defensive presence (atleast was 18 months ago)

Shaq today wouldn't destroy bigger teams like in the west, but swap Shaq with hibbert and no doubt the pacers would be in the finals, easy sweep. Shaqs desire to win is the biggest advantage behind his ridiculous size, couples together nobody today or probably ever, would be able to stop him.

People who say bill russel could slow him down, dude was 6'9. Shaq would kill him

RiceOnTheRun
06-10-2013, 03:35 AM
Wilt was the most dominate player ever, numbers show that, Shaq is the second most dominate player, and I guess Lebron might come in 3rd these players all have amazing athleticism. The best skill players would be Kobe, Jordan, Magic, West, ect. Players that not only relied on there physical game but had an amazing skills game.

sigh. Wilt was the most dominant player in the league for his time. The league was a much shorter and less athletic league. His only real competition was Bill Russell.

Shaq had 50 lbs on him and dominated in an era far more skilled and athletic. Shaq > Wilt.

However, had Wilt been born in this era, it's likely that he would've had a fair chance to match Shaq's dominance. He reportedly high jumped 6'6" and ran a 49.0 400m in high school. This was back in the 50's where the world record was a 45.4

tredigs
06-10-2013, 04:21 AM
he will be the no.1 center in the league..i dont think d12 or hibbert can guard him..

Haha no, D12 and Hibbert couldn't do much. They wouldn't be able to stop Kareem, Wilt or Hakeem either. When players get that good at that size you just have to hope to control the onslaught. And it normally got ugly quick.

PS: I know the dude in the bottom right of your sig. That's hilarious, no idea how he got in that ad. Far as I know he's never lived in LA and isn't a Lakers fan.

jam
06-10-2013, 05:43 AM
He would be better than hibbert.

R. Johnson#3
06-10-2013, 06:00 AM
He would dominate. Why is this even a thread? We all know the answer. This is like asking if the sun will rise in the morning.

Eg714
06-10-2013, 02:29 PM
[QUOTE=tm95835;26404420]A matchup of Dwight against shaq would be impressive. Dwight is one of the few of the past ten years to have the bulk to match shaq, he may not be 340 pounds but he is extremely strong and a defensive presence (atleast was 18 months.

Shaq would maul Dwight. D12 couldn't stop Pau Gasol when they went head to head and that's when d12 was a beast defensively.

Heatcheck
06-10-2013, 02:29 PM
You bring up a valid point with the lack of beastly centers. If someone like Hibbert (smaller stature compared to prime Shaq) could dominate, imagine what a prime Shaq would be doing in todays league.

he played well, and was effective against a smaller heat team, but dominated? thats kind of a stretch

rhd420
06-10-2013, 02:33 PM
yeah Shaq would dominate and still NOT win any championships because he would be in the wrong system with wrong players. He would be hated and more so be the Dwight Howard now on twitter.

Even when he was in Orlando, couldn't win a title ... got there but couldn't win it, same with LeBron and Cleveland. The funny part is the guy could average 40/20 and still fans would say he chokes without a title. LOL

Azzacadabra
06-10-2013, 02:44 PM
Chris Paul & Shaq would be devastating.

Shlumpledink
06-10-2013, 02:49 PM
It would be epic for sure in Shaq's favor. But he would have to deal with pick and roll everywhere, which he never was good at defending.

tredigs
06-10-2013, 03:24 PM
yeah Shaq would dominate and still NOT win any championships because he would be in the wrong system with wrong players. He would be hated and more so be the Dwight Howard now on twitter.

Even when he was in Orlando, couldn't win a title ... got there but couldn't win it, same with LeBron and Cleveland. The funny part is the guy could average 40/20 and still fans would say he chokes without a title. LOL
True, but those were some epic teams he played and lost to in the playoffs while in Orlando. Once he started to really figure things out in year 3 and as Penny got his feet wet in the league (when they were 22 or so), Shaq rolled through Jordan+Pippen's Bulls on his comeback year and were eventually taken out by Dream and Drexler in the finals (a team many thought could've broken peak Bulls if Jordan didn't leave). Though, for those saying Shaq would overpower and dominate Wilt (hah), there's your example of a 32/33 yr old who was nowhere near Wilt's strength + endurance level, weighed less and still outplayed Shaq in the finals. Shaq wasn't at his peak overall game from an intelligence level, but he was already #2 in MVP voting and very possibly at his most powerful peak of power + athleticism. Then he lost to the 2nd version of the 3Peat Bulls the next year. I'm pretty confident both of those teams would have dominated this league this year.

It's funny, when you type in Wilt's name + strength in youtube it's just a bunch of anecdotes from former 6'9" 260lb NBA guys and pro powerlifters saying Wilt was the strongest person they had ever seen and always complaining/laughing about he'd constantly pick them up with one hand. Wilt (and everyone else) were literally scared of his strength, he famously tried not to get angry in games while being hacked because he was scared he was going to kill people if he attacked them. Like seriously kill people. That always cracks me up. And I believe it.

3RDASYSTEM
06-10-2013, 03:25 PM

That's how I view GASOL(DPOY) and those others mentioned, SMITS is as good as BYNUM and BOGUT and others

SHAQ would get so damn bored in todays game that he might actually not even go at them that hard, he went at ZO-EWING-DREAM-DROB and others so hard because they were legit allnba material type players, CHANDLER or HIBBERT or GASOL are not that material in my book, now with media hype they are

and what I mean by media hype is when a player(GASOL) wins DPOY but doesn't make 1st allnba defense team you know its hype at its finest, GASOL is a fringe starter in this league, with hype he's DPOY and blah blah

child please

rhd420
06-10-2013, 03:55 PM
True, but those were some epic teams he played and lost to in the playoffs while in Orlando. Once he started to really figure things out in year 3 and as Penny got his feet wet in the league (when they were 22 or so), Shaq rolled through Jordan+Pippen's Bulls on his comeback year and were eventually taken out by Dream and Drexler in the finals (a team many thought could've broken peak Bulls if Jordan didn't leave). Though, for those saying Shaq would overpower and dominate Wilt (hah), there's your example of a 32/33 yr old who was nowhere near Wilt's strength + endurance level, weighed less and still outplayed Shaq in the finals. Shaq wasn't at his peak overall game from an intelligence level, but he was already #2 in MVP voting and very possibly at his most powerful peak of power + athleticism. Then he lost to the 2nd version of the 3Peat Bulls the next year. I'm pretty confident both of those teams would have dominated this league this year.

It's funny, when you type in Wilt's name + strength in youtube it's just a bunch of anecdotes from former 6'9" 260lb NBA guys and pro powerlifters saying Wilt was the strongest person they had ever seen and always complaining/laughing about he'd constantly pick them up with one hand. Wilt (and everyone else) were literally scared of his strength, he famously tried not to get angry in games while being hacked because he was scared he was going to kill people if he attacked them. Like seriously kill people. That always cracks me up. And I believe it.

its revisionist history in terms of how perception is and how he would "roll" through all the teams and whose to say the Phil Jackson system didn't foster his maturity and fit the system he "needed". A player being in "his prime" is questionable, heck I'd rather have a Orlando Shaq who kept in shape and was relatively injury free as opposed to the one with the Lakers who was in his "prime" but yet the work ethic was questionable.

I agree with you on Wilt, but it literally like Shaq took him on being on a great team and going to the West Coast to get his title. If Wilt NEVER won a title, as great as he was, would have been mocked ... as if Shaq didn't win a few with the Lakers.

Clippersfan86
06-10-2013, 04:10 PM
A matchup of Dwight against shaq would be impressive. Dwight is one of the few of the past ten years to have the bulk to match shaq, he may not be 340 pounds but he is extremely strong and a defensive presence (atleast was 18 months ago)

Shaq today wouldn't destroy bigger teams like in the west, but swap Shaq with hibbert and no doubt the pacers would be in the finals, easy sweep. Shaqs desire to win is the biggest advantage behind his ridiculous size, couples together nobody today or probably ever, would be able to stop him.

People who say bill russel could slow him down, dude was 6'9. Shaq would kill him

You never saw 36/37 year old Shaq manhandle Dwight like he was nothing?

smith&wesson
06-10-2013, 04:16 PM
Shaq would easily dominate any C of any era in his prime. He is the best C the game has ever seen.

you combine his athletic gift with his size along with his talent, skills, & iq there is no C EVER, that could have dominated him.