PDA

View Full Version : Coach Pop on Lebron: "He's grown. He's a grown man. He knows more than all of you...

sunnyice
06-08-2013, 07:25 PM
Here's the full quote:

"He's a grown man," Spurs coach Gregg Popovich said. "He doesn't need any of you to tell him anything. He knows more than all of you put together. He understands the game. If he makes a pass and you all think he should have shot it, or he shoots it and you think he should have made a pass, your opinions mean nothing to him, as they should not mean anything to him."

Pop is a badass and he hates the media:clap:

http://twitpic.com/cw2vcj

h2r09
06-08-2013, 07:26 PM
Hes right.

ChitownBears22
06-08-2013, 07:29 PM
Another reason to love Pop. He doesn't care about his media perception. He just cares about the W and the game of basketball.

Aust
06-08-2013, 07:37 PM
We need the "Leave Britney Alone" guy to do a video for Lebron.

RiceOnTheRun
06-08-2013, 07:52 PM
Pop is a beautiful man.

Truly.

Major respect right here, and rightfully deserved. The best part is, every single word he said was true.

lamzoka
06-08-2013, 08:03 PM
pop needs to open an account on PSD.

JeremiahWing
06-08-2013, 08:14 PM
Already thought he was the best coach in the NBA. Now he's my favorite.

t_money25
06-08-2013, 08:21 PM
Ultimate rebel of a coach next to Bob Knight minus the f-bombs. I love the way he intimidates reporters when they ask him questions about his in-game strategies. No one hates the media more than POP!!

ChitownSports16
06-08-2013, 08:32 PM
All he saying is, "Lebron, keep doing what your doing so we have a better chance of beating you."

ChitownBears22
06-08-2013, 08:36 PM
All he saying is, "Lebron, keep doing what your doing so we have a better chance of beating you."

All Chitownsports16 is saying is "yeah I am still bitter about getting whooped by Miami.......again"

tredigs
06-08-2013, 08:43 PM

I was actually wondering for a second if Pop was pulling some next level metagame, but I'm pretty sure he's just being honest and enjoying patronizing the media.

TestedWest
06-08-2013, 08:48 PM
So essentially, pop is trying to play mind games with Lebron by trying to get him to over think. That's what I get out of this.

kdspurman
06-08-2013, 08:49 PM
I was actually wondering for a second if Pop was pulling some next level metagame, but I'm pretty sure he's just being honest and enjoying patronizing the media.

He might be lol.. But I think he's being honest too. But that doesn't mean there isn't necessarily a little more to it.

ChitownBears22
06-08-2013, 08:50 PM
So essentially, pop is trying to play mind games with Lebron by trying to get him to over think. That's what I get out of this.

Do people really think players even care about this stuff. It is for the fans not for the players. How many times do you think LeBron has heard this crap in his lifetime. It isn't new.

stawka
06-08-2013, 09:11 PM

This!

b@llhog24
06-08-2013, 09:35 PM
Pop is ****ing epicness embodied.

TestedWest
06-08-2013, 09:45 PM
Do people really think players even care about this stuff. It is for the fans not for the players. How many times do you think LeBron has heard this crap in his lifetime. It isn't new.

It's called reverse psychology. Instead of firing him up by saying the wrong thing, he says the total opposite. Spurs are probably the most advanced team in the league and they have shut players down in the past by solely getting into their heads.

ChitownBears22
06-08-2013, 09:50 PM
It's called reverse psychology. Instead of firing him up by saying the wrong thing, he says the total opposite. Spurs are probably the most advanced team in the league and they have shut players down in the past by solely getting into their heads.

Maybe LeBron is really stupid and he took it to heart. Now he is super confident and will win the NBA, not only the Finals, but the NBA!!!!!!!!!!!!

ChitownSports16
06-08-2013, 09:52 PM
All Chitownsports16 is saying is "yeah I am still bitter about getting whooped by Miami.......again"

Lmfaooo if that's what ya wanna think, go for it.

This is nothing but mind games. Pop is no dummy! This is also why he's a great coach.

ChitownBears22
06-08-2013, 10:01 PM
Lmfaooo if that's what ya wanna think, go for it.

This is nothing but mind games. Pop is no dummy! This is also why he's a great coach.

Yeah and maybe LeBron was playing mind games with Pop in his interview. Both understand what is going on they have been here before, it won't affect anything.

majmarcus
06-08-2013, 10:03 PM
Gotta love Poppo

TestedWest
06-08-2013, 10:15 PM
Maybe LeBron is really stupid and he took it to heart. Now he is super confident and will win the NBA, not only the Finals, but the NBA!!!!!!!!!!!!

Waht. Lol. Lebron has shown that he's prone to mental lapses in the past/It doesn't take much to get in his head.

ChitownBears22
06-08-2013, 10:20 PM
Waht. Lol. Lebron has shown that he's prone to mental lapses in the past/It doesn't take much to get in his head.

I want proof of this. Are you a trained psychologist or are you playing one on PSD.

TestedWest
06-08-2013, 10:32 PM
You don't have to be a phycologist to know his weaknesses lol. A prime example is his committed turnovers when the games on the line/not to mention his missed free throws. He just doesn't seem to keep his poise when it matters most. It all goes back to Pop and what he's trying to accomplish by saying this.

bucketss
06-08-2013, 10:35 PM

if it doesn't take much than why the hell doesn't every team make sure they do it, i mean this guy is the most dominate player in the league since shaQ, you would think it would be used more often

ChitownBears22
06-08-2013, 10:36 PM
You don't have to be a phycologist to know his weaknesses lol. A prime example is his committed turnovers when the games on the line/not to mention his missed free throws. He just doesn't seem to keep his poise when it matters most. It all goes back to Pop and what he's trying to accomplish by saying this.

So when he wins this series and destroys your theory will you write a thread with the phrase "I am a moron and I play one in real life" 10,000 times?

ChitownBears22
06-08-2013, 10:37 PM
if it doesn't take much than why the hell doesn't every team make sure they do it, i mean this guy is the most dominate player in the league since shaQ, you would think it would be used more often

Please no logic, just repeat the verbal garbage of skip bayless.

Scott Brooks should have done this last year if it was so simple.

NYG+Braves
06-08-2013, 10:44 PM
i wonder if Pop and Belichek r best friends.

TestedWest
06-08-2013, 10:46 PM

Spurs are a different story. Sure he can easily avoid mental lapses from other teams, this is the big stage and it DOENST help that it's against the spurs. Don't get me wrong I'm not discrediting the guy in any fashion I'm just trying to say don't be suprised if this comment messes with his mind a bit in the upcoming game.

NBA_Starter
06-08-2013, 10:47 PM
Pop gonna Pop

ryang
06-08-2013, 10:49 PM
You think pop saying this will mess with Lebrons game plan? Lmao. Wishful thinking at its best

TestedWest
06-08-2013, 10:50 PM
So when he wins this series and destroys your theory will you write a thread with the phrase "I am a moron and I play one in real life" 10,000 times?

Im not talking about whether he wins or loses, I just said his play will be negatively affected by these comments. Sure Wade and Bosh will step up and I expect this to be a competitive series, again, just don't be surprised if he misses a couple extra shots in the next few games.

TestedWest
06-08-2013, 10:52 PM
You think pop saying this will mess with Lebrons game plan? Lmao. Wishful thinking at its best

We shall see. I don't hope for anything lol. Think outside the box, Spurs like to think that way.

ChitownBears22
06-08-2013, 10:53 PM
We shall see. I don't hope for anything lol. Think outside the box, Spurs like to think that way.

You figured it out so it couldn't be that intricate of a plan to be considered outside the box.

ztilzer31
06-08-2013, 11:00 PM

Is this your first year watching basketball?

Spurs are known for avoiding the media, and not being very vocal in games when it comes to the other team. Spurs are mentally tough for sure, but they definitely don't play these supposed "mind games". Pop is the Belichick of the NFL. He hates the media, and avoids talking to them at all costs.

TestedWest
06-08-2013, 11:02 PM
You figured it out so it couldn't be that intricate of a plan to be considered outside the box.

Well I'd like to think that I think out of the box as well...
Its called being more objective. Am I a Heat fan? Yes and I have been for almost 10 years. Do I reveal particular bias like most other heat fans? Not one bit.

TestedWest
06-08-2013, 11:08 PM
Is this your first year watching basketball?

Spurs are known for avoiding the media, and not being very vocal in games when it comes to the other team. Spurs are mentally tough for sure, but they definitely don't play these supposed "mind games". Pop is the Belichick of the NFL. He hates the media, and avoids talking to them at all costs.

That's true. But don't you consider any possible factors in trying to slow the Heat down? U can believe what u want about the mind games and that nature but in actuality, Spurs will always be the more mentally tough team at the end of the day.

ManRam
06-08-2013, 11:20 PM
Pops :worthy:

LeBron can never do good. What he was doing worked great for the vast majority of the game. The Spurs just went on a run and the Heat went cold. He was getting everyone involved, getting open three point shots (something they couldn't do in IND), and other easy baskets. I think that was more important for most of the game than him shooting a zillion times. But I'm sure if he should a zillion times and they lost people would be blasting him for not passing more.

And he does know more than any of us, so I'm not going to pretend that anything I just said is right (besides the "he'll get crap either way")

kdspurman
06-08-2013, 11:37 PM
Pops :worthy:

LeBron can never do good. What he was doing worked great for the vast majority of the game. The Spurs just went on a run and the Heat went cold. He was getting everyone involved, getting open three point shots (something they couldn't do in IND), and other easy baskets. I think that was more important for most of the game than him shooting a zillion times. But I'm sure if he should a zillion times and they lost people would be blasting him for not passing more.

And he does know more than any of us, so I'm not going to pretend that anything I just said is right (besides the "he'll get crap either way")

A lot of it was due to how the Spurs defended and packed the paint, virtually forcing Lebron to do that. I know you're not the biggest believer in how the Spurs play defense :p But that's really what they did, it was by design. Lebron took what the defense gave him, which is what any guy in his position should do.

The other problem for them offensively, is just no flow to their offense. It's a combination of good defense as well, and bad play calling. Now not sure if that's Spo or Lebron or both, but it became very predictable. it's the same offense they were running in the first half, just their shots were not falling & SA did a much better job of contesting the shooters (except Bosh who they didn't care if he shot or not) they couldn't get into the paint consistently enough in the 4th quarter. I think we see them force the issue a little more tomorrow in terms of getting in the paint and getting to the line.

I thought it was pretty awesome that Pop said this. Steve Smith on NBA TV didn't agree with it :laugh2: he felt he knew/knows more about the game than Lebron.

Btw,This guy breaks down their offensive struggles pretty well

http://www.bballbreakdown.com/nba-finals-game-1-how-the-heats-offense-let-them-down/

SportsFanatic10
06-09-2013, 02:52 AM
lol pop's interviews rarely disappoint.

hugepatsfan
06-09-2013, 12:02 PM
He's right. I don't like Lebron and I root against him but he's ****ing amazing at basketball both physically and mentally. I still don't think he's a great leader (he "leads" his team just by being the best player - I don't think he has the type of traits that could make an average player a team leader) but there really isn't anything else to criticize him for.

lol, please
06-09-2013, 01:03 PM
Here's the full quote:

"He's a grown man," Spurs coach Gregg Popovich said. "He doesn't need any of you to tell him anything. He knows more than all of you put together. He understands the game. If he makes a pass and you all think he should have shot it, or he shoots it and you think he should have made a pass, your opinions mean nothing to him, as they should not mean anything to him."

Pop is a badass and he hates the media:clap:

http://twitpic.com/cw2vcj

You can say that about any self-respecting professional athlete. Big deal. You should, or what are you doing there? Fans and media will always talk and play armchair coach.

KnickaBocka.44
06-09-2013, 01:10 PM
Exactly. Which only adds more credence to the theory that the comments may have been a message to Lebron.

sunnyice
06-09-2013, 01:24 PM
I dont think that pop had a hidden agenda for his message.

Pop uses mind games but I think he only does it in while in a game. Like constantly changing match ups throughout the game and taking lebron out of the play even on the defensive end. Spoelstra has to be careful, going against Pop is going to be a nightmare for him.

D-Leethal
06-09-2013, 01:30 PM
Pop is the ****ing man but I do think he should have a little more respect for the media. I understand the media is annoying but Pop is not a millionaire and the NBA is not the NBA without media publicity.

D-Leethal
06-09-2013, 01:31 PM
I don't think Pop is playing mindgames there. He speaks from the heart, if he says something he means it and thats how he truly feels. No BS with that dude.

JerseyPalahniuk
06-09-2013, 05:10 PM
I don't think Pop is playing mindgames there. He speaks from the heart, if he says something he means it and thats how he truly feels. No BS with that dude.

Exactly. Phil Jackson sparks me more as the guy who would play "mind games." Pop is no BS, just speaks whatever is on his mind.

amos1er
06-09-2013, 05:56 PM

What is Lebron's game plan? To fill his stat sheet and not come through at the end of the game?

bucketss
06-09-2013, 06:07 PM
What is Lebron's game plan? To fill his stat sheet and not come through at the end of the game?

his game plan is to choke

the life out of his opponents.

amos1er
06-09-2013, 06:10 PM
his game plan is to choke

the life out of his opponents.

lulz.

LeperMessiah
06-09-2013, 07:15 PM
that's why Pops is a G ladies and gentlemen.

RiceOnTheRun
06-09-2013, 07:22 PM
Pop is the ****ing man but I do think he should have a little more respect for the media. I understand the media is annoying but Pop is not a millionaire and the NBA is not the NBA without media publicity.

Not at all. The media can be just as disrespectful at times.

MrfadeawayJB
06-09-2013, 07:25 PM
what a bawssss

D-Leethal
06-09-2013, 07:38 PM
Not at all. The media can be just as disrespectful at times.

The media has no obligation to write praise. They have an obligation to write what they see. There are bad apples anywhere but the majority of the media write genuine pieces and Pop treats them like they have no business in the sport. There is no million dollar contracts for coaches without media. The NBA is not the global phenomenon it is without the media. Its a necessary evil in a way and coaches should respect that side of the business. Everyone reserves the right to get ticked off but Pop treats them as a complete joke for asking him legitimate questions in every single press conference or interview.

NJrockPD
06-09-2013, 07:42 PM

He would hate all of the nonsense on this site. He would curse us all out and delete his account hours after signing up.

RiceOnTheRun
06-09-2013, 07:42 PM
The media has no obligation to write praise. They have an obligation to write what they see. There are bad apples anywhere but the majority of the media write genuine pieces and Pop treats them like they have no business in the sport. There is no million dollar contracts for coaches without media. The NBA is not the global phenomenon it is without the media. Its a necessary evil in a way and coaches should respect that side of the business. Everyone reserves the right to get ticked off but Pop treats them as a complete joke for asking him legitimate questions in every single press conference or interview.

The Media's there to oversensualize things. It's best highlighted when a media member asked "How did you know [Manu] was going to kickstart your offense?", he simply replies "Because he's Manu Ginobili"

Perfectly legitimate response if you ask me. The Spurs don't pay him to create storylines or anything of the sort, they pay him to win games. They asked him what he thought of Lebron and how he's different and he gave it to them straight up, no sugarcoating.

RiceOnTheRun
06-09-2013, 07:43 PM
He would hate all of the nonsense on this site. He would curse us all out and delete his account hours after signing up.

The threads would auto-lock after his posts. One does not simply argue/disagree with Pop.

D-Leethal
06-09-2013, 07:47 PM
The Media's there to oversensualize things. It's best highlighted when a media member asked "How did you know [Manu] was going to kickstart your offense?", he simply replies "Because he's Manu Ginobili"

Perfectly legitimate response if you ask me. The Spurs don't pay him to create storylines or anything of the sort, they pay him to win games. They asked him what he thought of Lebron and how he's different and he gave it to them straight up, no sugarcoating.

The media is there to move the sport forward as much as anything else. Its there to create worldwide publicity. Its integral to the NBA machine. He doesn't need to talk down to them in a condescending manner every single time they ask him legitimate questions. I personally love the Pop interviews but he should have more respect for the guys who have done their part to make the NBA what it is today.

RiceOnTheRun
06-09-2013, 07:54 PM
The media is there to move the sport forward as much as anything else. Its there to create worldwide publicity. Its integral to the NBA machine. He doesn't need to talk down to them in a condescending manner every single time they ask him legitimate questions. I personally love the Pop interviews but he should have more respect for the guys who have done their part to make the NBA what it is today.

I guess that's where we differ in our opinions. I personally supported Roy Hibbert calling out the 'mother****ing' media for not following the Pacers too much because hell, we all know it was true. Likewise, Pop calls out the entire room for putting their feet in their mouths. It's also probably true that Lebron does know more about the game than any of them yet you have to admit they've over-criticized him far too often.

Like you said, it's their job to move the sport forward and create publicity, not Pops. His job is to win and he does it quite well. Anyways, he gave them a headline, didn't he?