PDA

View Full Version : Will Spurs streak continue

TRF929
06-08-2013, 02:13 PM
Duncan came into the league and won ring his 2nd year, Parker comes to league and wins in 2nd year, Gino comes in and wins in 1st year. This is Leonard's 2nd year and they're 3 games away from winning another and he's already stated as the next face of franchise. It could be considered a coincidence but it just shows how much impact new players are and how well the Spurs are come draft night.

Side note: with Rodman starting to talk it brought the idea to me that Leonard can be the next/better Rodman with some offense to his game. What do you'll think?

tredigs
06-08-2013, 02:41 PM
So the streak is that they win a championship a year or two after an impact player is added? Okay, interesting thread idea...

Kawhi's not in the same world as Rodman as a rebounder, which along with out of his mind aggressive defense is what he did. Along with not playing the same position, I'm not feeling the comparison. Kenneth Faried is the closest thing we have to Rodman in this NBA, and they're not close.

TRF929
06-08-2013, 02:51 PM
Kawhi maybe not yet, but I think he has the potential to get up there in rbs if he wanted too. Rodman wasn't a beast in rebounding until his 5th year but yes I see more in Faried now that you mention it.

sep11ie
06-08-2013, 03:08 PM
Wow, these threads are getting worse and worse daily.

ChitownBears22
06-08-2013, 04:11 PM
did someone just compare leonard to Rodman................................oh PSD I love you

tredigs
06-08-2013, 04:25 PM
Got me thinking though, I wonder who the most entertaining player in the NBA is right now? I'm not even talking so much about off-court antics, just strictly in-game entertainment value. You could not get through a Spurs/Pistons/Bulls game without Rodman diving into the stands or nearly getting into a fight when he was playing. Hilarious that he was arguably the best rebounder of all time along with a top 10 defender and if you type his name into youtube almost nothing is basketball related.

sunnyice
06-08-2013, 04:32 PM
Duncan came into the league and won ring his 2nd year, Parker comes to league and wins in 2nd year, Gino comes in and wins in 1st year. This is Leonard's 2nd year and they're 3 games away from winning another and he's already stated as the next face of franchise. It could be considered a coincidence but it just shows how much impact new players are and how well the Spurs are come draft night.

Side note: with Rodman starting to talk it brought the idea to me that Leonard can be the next/better Rodman with some offense to his game. What do you'll think?

I think your memory of Rodman is getting a little blury. I would suggest to watch some of his playoffs games.

The guy was insane! Rodman would take over games with his rebounding, defense and energy. Like really take over!

ChitownBears22
06-08-2013, 04:39 PM
I think your memory of Rodman is getting a little blury. I would suggest to watch some of his playoffs games.

The guy was insane! Rodman would take over games with his rebounding, defense and energy. Like really take over!

No! Jordan did!

Says every Jordan fanboy ever. Rodman was as much of a reason for them winning as Jordan.

TRF929
06-08-2013, 04:40 PM
I understand where you'll are coming from on comparisons but if you really look at stats they seem similar.

Kawhi avg 12 pts 8 rbs, 1, 1, 1.5 shooting 55%
Rodman avg 11 pts 8 rbs, 1, 1, .5 shooting 56% in his 2nd season, he was also 5 years older

Defense is good for both, Rodman of course takes it but KL will only get better, bigger, and stronger. Rodman only an inch taller and technically played the 4 spot but who's to say KL won't get there

ChitownBears22
06-08-2013, 04:45 PM
I understand where you'll are coming from on comparisons but if you really look at stats they seem similar.

Rodman avg 11 pts 8 rbs, 1, 1, .5 shooting 56% in his 2nd season, he was also 5 years older

Defense is good for both, Rodman of course takes it but KL will only get better, bigger, and stronger. Rodman only an inch taller and technically played the 4 spot but who's to say KL won't get there

Yeah stats tell the whole story. Rodman would completely shut a player down defensively. Leonard relies on help defense.

TRF929
06-08-2013, 04:45 PM

Yes everyone remembers the beast of Rodman but it took him a couple years to get there. I will say I was young and not interested in bball when he played but looking back at stats people tend to forget that he didn't start out like a beast

tredigs
06-08-2013, 04:46 PM
No! Jordan did!

Says every Jordan fanboy ever. Rodman was as much of a reason for them winning as Jordan.

Hahaha you say that and you're a Chi fan? C'mon dude, be real. Rodman was still a GREAT asset, but he was in his mid to late 30's and past his prime once he got to Chicago. Wasn't even in Jordan's world as far as dominating a game.

TRF929
06-08-2013, 04:49 PM
Yeah stats tell the whole story. Rodman would completely shut a player down defensively. Leonard relies on help defense.

Yes, exactly. I knows stats don't tell whole story but that's why I bring this thread up, to get actual knowledge from people who did see him. And not just dismiss the whole issue while not bringing in anything to support their dismissal

ChitownBears22
06-08-2013, 04:51 PM
Hahaha you say that and you're a Chi fan? C'mon dude, be real. Rodman was still a GREAT asset, but he was in his mid to late 30's and past his prime once he got to Chicago. Wasn't even in Jordan's world as far as dominating a game.

I am not a Bulls fan. Nice assumption. Rodman took over games defensively in the playoffs. The guy was a rebounding machine.

sunnyice
06-08-2013, 07:21 PM
True. But I think they are 2 different types of players. Kawhi is more of perimeter defender and he has an offensive game. If he's gonna be the new face of the franchise he needs to improve his offensive game. His defence is already pretty good tho. He is still young and has great potential.

ChitownBears22
06-08-2013, 07:24 PM
True. But I think they are 2 different types of players. Kawhi is more of perimeter defender and he has an offensive game. If he's gonna be the new face of the franchise he needs to improve his offensive game. His defence is already pretty good tho. He is still young and has great potential.

I still don't get the praise for his D. He is still very raw. LeBron forced him to use help defense and that is the reason MIA got so many open shots. He allows too many players to get to where they want to go. That will not work if you are guarding a spot shooter like Durant or Kobe.

tredigs
06-08-2013, 08:23 PM
I am not a Bulls fan. Nice assumption. Rodman took over games defensively in the playoffs. The guy was a rebounding machine.

Well I didn't say you were a Bulls fan, I said you were a Chicago fan. But nice assumption.

But you're right, the guy who averaged 4ppg + 8 rpg on 37% from the field while playing 15 minutes a night less than Jordan in the middle of their 2nd 3peat playoff run was probably just a important to the team as MJ and his 31/8/5 with elite D. MJ > Scottie > Rodman. Though I think winning titles would've been tough for them without Rodman, we already know that others could fill his role and still be in arguments among the GOAT dynasties.

kdspurman
06-08-2013, 08:31 PM
It's more of a pattern vs a streak. It is interesting, but I guess we'll see if it continues. Pretty funny coincidence

LongWayFromHome
06-08-2013, 11:01 PM

What are these stats? you are taking Rodman's regular season stats and Leonard's playoff stats?

Here are the actual second year stats:

Regular season
Per Game:
Kawhi MPG 31.2, PTS 11.9, REB 6.0, AST 1.6, FG% 494, 3FG% 374, 3PA 3.0, FT% 825, STL 1.7, BLK 0.6
Rodman MPG 26.2, PTS 11.6, REB 8.7, AST 1.3, FG% 561, 3FG% 294, 3PA 0.2, FT% 535, STL 0.9, BLK 0.5

Per 36:
Kawhi PTS 13.7, REB 6.9, AST 1.8, STL 1.9, BLK 0.6
Rodman PTS 16.0, REB 12.0, AST 1.8, STL 1.3, BLK 0.8

Advanced:
Kawhi TRB% 11.1, ORB% 4.3, DRB% 17.1
Rodman TRB% 18.6, ORB% 16.9, DRB% 20.2

In what world are these players comparable even statistically? You just pulled some stats that looked somewhat the same on the surface (Kawhi's playoffs this year vs Rodman's regular season of his second year). SMH at the thought of them being similar players. I'm not even saying Kawhi isn't better or won't be better or whatever I just can't believe somebody could think they are similar players.

TRF929
06-09-2013, 12:27 AM
What are these stats? you are taking Rodman's regular season stats and Leonard's playoff stats?

Here are the actual second year stats:

Regular season
Per Game:
Kawhi MPG 31.2, PTS 11.9, REB 6.0, AST 1.6, FG% 494, 3FG% 374, 3PA 3.0, FT% 825, STL 1.7, BLK 0.6
Rodman MPG 26.2, PTS 11.6, REB 8.7, AST 1.3, FG% 561, 3FG% 294, 3PA 0.2, FT% 535, STL 0.9, BLK 0.5

Per 36:
Kawhi PTS 13.7, REB 6.9, AST 1.8, STL 1.9, BLK 0.6
Rodman PTS 16.0, REB 12.0, AST 1.8, STL 1.3, BLK 0.8

Advanced:
Kawhi TRB% 11.1, ORB% 4.3, DRB% 17.1
Rodman TRB% 18.6, ORB% 16.9, DRB% 20.2

In what world are these players comparable even statistically? You just pulled some stats that looked somewhat the same on the surface (Kawhi's playoffs this year vs Rodman's regular season of his second year). SMH at the thought of them being similar players. I'm not even saying Kawhi isn't better or won't be better or whatever I just can't believe somebody could think they are similar players.

Actually I didn't intend to take his playoff stats I just wasn't paying attention when I looked it up, my bad.

I just had the thought to compare when Rodman was in media, and trying to see what other people see Leonard's ceiling at. Whether you see it or not, I think he has potential to be in the area of Rodman. KL just seems to me like he doesn't even try to hard for what he gets, it just comes easy or him and if he really wanted to he could easily double his take. Rodman wanted to be a rebounding machine, KL is still trying to figure out what route he'll go. I also believe 5 year age difference is big.

But idk, that's why I ask in a thread for more knowledgable people.

LongWayFromHome
06-09-2013, 12:43 AM
Actually I didn't intend to take his playoff stats I just wasn't paying attention when I looked it up, my bad.

I just had the thought to compare when Rodman was in media, and trying to see what other people see Leonard's ceiling at. Whether you see it or not, I think he has potential to be in the area of Rodman. KL just seems to me like he doesn't even try to hard for what he gets, it just comes easy or him and if he really wanted to he could easily double his take. Rodman wanted to be a rebounding machine, KL is still trying to figure out what route he'll go. I also believe 5 year age difference is big.

But idk, that's why I ask in a thread for more knowledgable people.

This is what Rodman wasn't. What you just said is the very reason he won't be like Rodman. What separates Rodman from everybody else is that he was really smart and tried so hard all the time. Other people don't have that quality. As you have highlighted Kawhi is no exception. You could never say about Rodman "if he really wanted to he could easily double his take"

Trueblue2
06-09-2013, 12:49 AM
Because Leonard can totally grab 21 boards in a game while shutting down a prime Shaq...

TRF929
06-09-2013, 01:39 AM
This is what Rodman wasn't. What you just said is the very reason he won't be like Rodman. What separates Rodman from everybody else is that he was really smart and tried so hard all the time. Other people don't have that quality. As you have highlighted Kawhi is no exception. You could never say about Rodman "if he really wanted to he could easily double his take"

Yeah, I've been thinking and your right. KL just doesn't have the animal instinct to dominate like Rodman, completely two different personalitiese. KL goes with the flow, Rodman is the reason there's a flow.

TRF929
06-09-2013, 01:51 AM
I gotta say it would be interesting if Rodman coached Leonard. Improve his defense even more, rebounds I'm sure, but stay away from shooting techniques

sunsfan88
06-09-2013, 02:44 AM
If Leonard is the next face of the franchise for the Spurs, then their screwed.

Leonard is an excellent role player but that's it. The guy can't create off dribble for himself or for anyone else. He doesn't have a consistent or reliable post game. All his points come from rebounds or someone else setting him up for wide open looks.

He plays stellar defense and is a very good rebounder but you need to have an offensive game too to be the "face of the franchise" unless you play the C position.

SportsFanatic10
06-09-2013, 02:55 AM
It's more of a pattern vs a streak. It is interesting, but I guess we'll see if it continues. Pretty funny coincidence

this.

king4day
06-09-2013, 10:02 AM
Leonard was a great get for the Spurs and maybe he'll be a key reason why the Spurs potentially win the title this year, but he's not close to the same level as Duncan, Ginobili, or Parker. Certainly not Rodman either.
I'm not sure if Spurs fans will be happy if he's their future face of the franchise as that would probably mean they are back to mediocrity.

kdspurman
06-09-2013, 01:08 PM
If Leonard is the next face of the franchise for the Spurs, then their screwed.

Leonard is an excellent role player but that's it. The guy can't create off dribble for himself or for anyone else. He doesn't have a consistent or reliable post game. All his points come from rebounds or someone else setting him up for wide open looks.

He plays stellar defense and is a very good rebounder but you need to have an offensive game too to be the "face of the franchise" unless you play the C position.

#1 it's only his 2nd season (first real season with training camp) so let's give him some time before you or anyone think he's not going to be a franchise kind of player. That should be more telling in maybe his 3rd or 4th year. But from year 1 and year 2, there has been substantial improvements. I don't know if he can be, but it'd be unfair to say he can't be.

#2, you saying he can't create off the dribble is just plain false. (give this a watch)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SXemx5E9t20

Obviously, he just doesn't have to do all that with Parker running the show. But it shows what he is capable of once those guys are gone. (that was the only game he played as "the guy" considering it was the Bulls defense, I'd say it was pretty impressive.

#3 to say the Spurs are screwed is ridiculous. Like you can honestly say the Spurs don't always put themselves in position to be successful.

And just for anyone else, who honestly thought they saw Parker being this good when he first came in the league? Leading the Spurs to another finals? Kawhi already is light years ahead of Parker was defensively when he came in, and he's shooting the ball better as well. (took TP several years to get that mid-range shot down) I realize it looks like a long shot, but lets wait and see before sticking the fork in the Spurs future. If anything, their ability to develop players and get the best out of them, and put the right pieces in place gives Spurs fans every reason to feel optimistic about the future.