PDA

View Full Version : Durant intends to sign with Jay- Z (ESPN Reports)

JerseyPalahniuk
06-08-2013, 01:32 AM
http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/9354554/source-kevin-durant-oklahoma-city-thunder-intends-sign-jay-z

Jay-Z's upstart sports agency has received another big boost, as a source confirmed to ESPN on Friday night that Oklahoma City Thunder forward Kevin Durant will leave his current agent to join Roc Nation Sports.

The source said Durant believes he doesn't need a contract agent now because he signed an $85 million extension with the Thunder in 2010 that will take him through the 2015-16 season. Instead, Durant -- already one of the most marketable players in the league -- has told those close to him that he wants to increase his brand.

A spokesman for Roc Nation Sports told ESPN that Durant is not currently a client. It's unknown whether Jay-Z will wait until he sells his small ownership share in the Brooklyn Nets -- it's believed he owns between one-fifth and one-fifteenth of 1 percent of the team -- before signing Durant. A source tells ESPN that Jay-Z's ownership sale has not yet been completed.

If Jay-Z is just doing marketing work for Durant, he might be able to steer clear of NBA rules that would prohibit him from representing a player and owning a piece of a team.

Durant has endorsement deals with Nike, Sprint, Gatorade, Skullcandy headphones, BBVA Compass, 2K Sports and Panini America. This will be Durant's third agent in his six years in the league. He was represented by Goodwin Sports and, most recently, Landmark Sports.

His departure from Landmark and move to Roc Nation Sports was first reported by the Sports Business Journal.

Since announcing his intention to start a sports agency just a couple of months ago, Jay-Z has signed some impressive clients, including New York Yankees second baseman Robinson Cano, New York Jets quarterback Geno Smith and former Notre Dame guard Skylar Diggins, who was recently selected third by the Tulsa Shock in the WNBA draft.

Other athletes who are said to be interested in signing with Roc Nation Sports, which has a relationship with Creative Artists Agency (CAA), include New York Giants wide receiver Victor Cruz and Philadelphia Eagles wide receiver DeSean Jackson.

greg_ory_2005
06-08-2013, 01:34 AM
Soooooo

Arch Stanton
06-08-2013, 01:38 AM
I find this interesting since Jay-Z is with the Nets ownership. Seems almost like a conflict of interest. Not so much with Robinson Cano since he plays baseball.

PacersForLife
06-08-2013, 02:07 AM
I find this interesting since Jay-Z is with the Nets ownership. Seems almost like a conflict of interest. Not so much with Robinson Cano since he plays baseball.

Thought he wasn't with the Nets anymore.

Jtirado16
06-08-2013, 02:10 AM
He's selling his portion of the Nets I do believe. He's all about getting big time athletes to sign with him. He realized the money really wasn't with the Nets so he's moving on. He will be able to sign top players all time just because he's Jay Z & if he's does a good job. His whole business will take off

Arch Stanton
06-08-2013, 02:21 AM
If he's selling his portion of the Nets, then it makes sense.

kingkenny01
06-08-2013, 02:26 AM
I believe he is selling his portion to the owner of reddit but not sure if thats confirmed

numba1CHANGsta
06-08-2013, 02:28 AM
seriously who gives a fck

Lakers + Giants
06-08-2013, 03:26 AM
in before DMF and DMF's puppet (wavey) start trolling.

NYK4L
06-08-2013, 03:33 AM
Cano, now Durant..he's landing some big names

amos1er
06-08-2013, 06:15 AM
Who cares.

c.c.
06-08-2013, 08:12 AM
Cano, now Durant..he's landing some big names

Next he's gonna sign Floyd Mayweather and Tiger Woods

waveycrockett
06-08-2013, 08:29 AM
in before DMF and DMF's puppet (wavey) start trolling.

I think Durant is going to sign with the Lakers (Am I still trolling?).

waveycrockett
06-08-2013, 08:30 AM
Next he's gonna sign Floyd Mayweather and Tiger Woods

On some level I think these guys are signing with him just cause they want to hang out with him lol.

D-Leethal
06-08-2013, 09:19 AM
On some level I think these guys are signing with him just cause they want to hang out with him lol.

Jay Z is a brilliant ****ing dude.

waveycrockett
06-08-2013, 09:27 AM
Jay Z is a brilliant ****ing dude.

Like Seriously when your as good as Kevin Durant or Robbie Cano does it really matter who reps you? lol dudes want to kick with Jay not some Scott Boras!!

D-Leethal
06-08-2013, 09:30 AM
Like Seriously when your as good as Kevin Durant or Robbie Cano does it really matter who reps you? lol dudes want to kick with Jay not some Scott Boras!!

Your right. Jay Z is using his starpower to attract all the top athletes. That dude is going to start an empire over there. You can pretty much book it.

flea
06-08-2013, 09:36 AM
Your right. Jay Z is using his starpower to attract all the top athletes. That dude is going to start an empire over there. You can pretty much book it.

Doubt it, guys like Boras and Rosenhaus are good at what they do for a reason. Jay-Z is good at selling himself for his corporate sponsors, but selling others is a different ballgame. His agency will putter along for a while no doubt, but it's not like he's going to seriously compete with the big agents.

oak2455
06-08-2013, 10:15 AM
Who cares.

Exactly..... Nothing here.... More important lets watch the Spurs go up 2-0 :clap:

oak2455
06-08-2013, 10:18 AM

It does... look at what Boras has done, like him or not JayZ has a ton to learn.... Boras is pretty successful at what he does.... Good luck JayZ

waveycrockett
06-08-2013, 10:30 AM
It does... look at what Boras has done, like him or not JayZ has a ton to learn.... Boras is pretty successful at what he does.... Good luck JayZ

Durant is going to get a MAX contract no matter who his agent is and Robbie Cano is getting a $200 Million contract no matter who reps him. Boras is great for maximizing the contracts of middle-tier athletes.

B'sCeltsPatsSox
06-08-2013, 11:22 AM

Yup. USA Today wrote an article that contained of former agents saying that all other agents are going to be terrified of Jay-Z. Who wouldn't want to have a certified friendship with that guy?

flea
06-08-2013, 11:23 AM
Yup. The USA Today wrote an article about this being a nightmare for all other sports agents. Who wouldn't want to have a certified friendship with that guy?

Me.

The goods
06-08-2013, 11:47 AM
Jay-Z the new Ari Gold. Lol

waveycrockett
06-08-2013, 12:05 PM
Me.

lies

flea
06-08-2013, 12:19 PM
lies

The only person who stands for everything I hate more than Jay-Z is his stupid wife. Plus everything but Reasonable Doubt sucks, and even that was just a ripoff of Cuban Linx.

futureman
06-08-2013, 12:36 PM
You shouldn't be allowed to be an agent and an owner at the same time. That's the same as tampering.

waveycrockett
06-08-2013, 12:45 PM
You shouldn't be allowed to be an agent and an owner at the same time. That's the same as tampering.

I think he isn't technically Duran't agent right now his firm are more like lawyer/pr/butler. As long as he isn't negotiating a contract he is good from what I read. It could be wrong but it makes sense.

D-Leethal
06-08-2013, 01:09 PM
Doubt it, guys like Boras and Rosenhaus are good at what they do for a reason. Jay-Z is good at selling himself for his corporate sponsors, but selling others is a different ballgame. His agency will putter along for a while no doubt, but it's not like he's going to seriously compete with the big agents.

Jay Z isn't the ****ing agent dude. He's already pretty much partnered up with CAA who already reps all the top guns out there and has been steadily stealing top athletes for years now. Jay Z is going to be the face of it all but he's not going to be the guys in the war room negotiating. He's going to have very capable people ready to do that. You guys are sleeping if you don't already see whats happening out there.

D-Leethal
06-08-2013, 01:14 PM
Yup. USA Today wrote an article that contained of former agents saying that all other agents are going to be terrified of Jay-Z. Who wouldn't want to have a certified friendship with that guy?

I also think these athletes want guys representing them that can relate to them. Like it or not, these blood thirsty whitebred white collar millionaire agents who were born into tons of money can't relate to these athletes who mostly all came from the bottom of the totem pole. I do think that matters. I think Jay is probably the only guy out there with enough credibility on both sides to make it work. He's created this image for himself and he's milking it brilliantly.

waveycrockett
06-08-2013, 01:17 PM
Jay Z isn't the ****ing agent dude. He's already pretty much partnered up with CAA who already reps all the top guns out there and has been steadily stealing top athletes for years now. Jay Z is going to be the face of it all but he's not going to be the guys in the war room negotiating. He's going to have very capable people ready to do that. You guys are sleeping if you don't already see whats happening out there.
Exactly. Jay-z is just the new face of an already top tier agent company

flea
06-08-2013, 01:17 PM
Uh obviously. He's a rapper, he wouldn't know his way around a sports contract if he spent the next 20 years trying to learn. He'll have his team of lawyers, but he's the face. I still don't see his underlings having the pull of a Boras or Rosenhaus. CAA is probably providing manpower, but they're not going to move their clients to this bull**** because it's not a merger. They're mostly doing it for publicity. Jay-Z will get bored or realize he's better at selling clothes to poor kids and the agency will dissolve.

D-Leethal
06-08-2013, 01:24 PM
Uh obviously. He's a rapper, he wouldn't know his way around a sports contract if he spent the next 20 years trying to learn. He'll have his team of lawyers, but he's the face. I still don't see his underlings having the pull of a Boras or Rosenhaus. CAA is probably providing manpower, but they're not going to move their clients to this bull**** because it's not a merger. They're mostly doing it for publicity. Jay-Z will get bored or realize he's better at selling clothes to poor kids and the agency will dissolve.

LOL, Jay Z is far more than a rapper. Dude is worth half a billion dollars. He has signed a wider array of business contracts than you will ever come close to sniffing. Your just being a hater and coming off stupid as a result.

flea
06-08-2013, 01:52 PM
Yeah you're right, I wish I was corporate America's singing and dancing clothes salesman.

oak2455
06-08-2013, 01:52 PM
I love when ppl call others dumb and stupid it's a discussion .... Not that important

waveycrockett
06-08-2013, 03:17 PM
Yeah you're right, I wish I was corporate America's singing and dancing clothes salesman.
Yea sucks for him and his wife. Making $100 Million a year. I wouldn't wish that on anybody.

Cubby
06-08-2013, 04:37 PM

I also think these athletes want guys representing them that can relate to them. Like it or not, these blood thirsty whitebred white collar millionaire agents who were born into tons of money can't relate to these athletes who mostly all came from the bottom of the totem pole. I do think that matters. I think Jay is probably the only guy out there with enough credibility on both sides to make it work. He's created this image for himself and he's milking it brilliantly.

Yep, because every agent grew up with millions of dollars. It's not like they spent years studying law or anything.

ArmLaker
06-08-2013, 05:01 PM
If only Tupac was alive, he'd have a big stake in the Lakers franchise.
*sigh*

ChitownBears22
06-08-2013, 05:06 PM

Yeah capitalism is for idiots. He should give it all away.

Some people are just stupid, it isn't selling out. It is called marketing yourself and becoming rich.

sunsfan88
06-08-2013, 06:16 PM
The only person who stands for everything I hate more than Jay-Z is his stupid wife. Plus everything but Reasonable Doubt sucks, and even that was just a ripoff of Cuban Linx.

You don't like Beyonce? What the hell is wrong with you?

mdm692
06-08-2013, 07:43 PM
Yea sucks for him and his wife. Making $100 Million a year. I wouldn't wish that on anybody.

:burn:

flea
06-08-2013, 07:52 PM

Yeah capitalism is for idiots. He should give it all away.

Some people are just stupid, it isn't selling out. It is called marketing yourself and becoming rich.

You don't like Beyonce? What the hell is wrong with you?

Lots of sensitivity in this thread surrounding your hero worship - as if accumulating a lot of money selling things is something all all people should aspire to or admire. You're probably a pimple-faced teen who thinks money is going to make women like you but one day you'll realize that money isn't everything - or you won't and you'll live a stunted and pitiful little life idolizing salesmen.

Beyonce is even less of a talent than Jay-Z, that's why I don't like her. Her "biggest" accomplishments are advertisements that she does for corporations like Pepsi. That's so completely anathema from everything I believe in. Then again, you probably think all that surgery and makeup and glitter makes her beautiful. You've been sold, congratulations.

NBA_Starter
06-08-2013, 09:33 PM
I'd be a little worried he may eventually go to a large market with this move.

WHODAT8o8
06-08-2013, 09:55 PM
Maybe Durant wants to go the shaq route. He had a movie and maybe he signed jay-z to help him release a rap album like how shaq did?