PDA

View Full Version : Question for Basketball Purists

ChitownBears22
06-07-2013, 04:47 PM
The past month I have heard about this prestigous group of basketball fans call basketball "purists". They said that a Bulls/SA or Indy/SA would be the best outcome for a finals matchup. Most said that they didn't want a flashy team like Miami in the Finals, because it isn't pure basketball.

My question to you after Game 1 is, where you not entertained last night. If that wasn't a great defensive and offensive stuggle I don't know what is. Do you retract your statement that you would rather see Chicago or Indiana in the finals.

this is a real topic I want to hear some thoughts. Not baiting or trolling. Was Game 1, pure basketball?

calmunderfireKO
06-07-2013, 04:49 PM
I think it is stupid that people call Miami a flashy team. It does them a disservice. LeBron is a pretty damn technically sound player.

Sactown
06-07-2013, 05:07 PM
I hate hearing that, because the HEAT are an athletic team doesn't mean they're not fundamentally sound.. Lebron has about as good of vision as anyone in the league and always makes sound efficient passes. Lebron also has great footwork in the post and is a good deep ball shooter.. Bosh is a good shooter and has some post moves as well. They wouldn't be in the finals if they weren't fundamentally sound.

flea
06-07-2013, 05:15 PM
Their style of basketball is boring. It was before yesterday and it still is today. It has nothing to do with fundamentals or anything. They execute their style pretty well, it's just boring. Lebron is fun to watch, but I think he'd be a lot more fun if he operated in a more traditional motion offense or the triangle. This dribble-drive/kick-out business just isn't all that interesting. It doesn't rely on matchups for the most part, it can lead to hot and cold spells, and a significant portion of offense needs to come from transition - which, again, is fine and good but it doesn't make for great x's and o's basketball.

ChitownBears22
06-07-2013, 05:20 PM
Their style of basketball is boring. It was before yesterday and it still is today. It has nothing to do with fundamentals or anything. They execute their style pretty well, it's just boring. Lebron is fun to watch, but I think he'd be a lot more fun if he operated in a more traditional motion offense or the triangle. This dribble-drive/kick-out business just isn't all that interesting. It doesn't rely on matchups for the most part, it can lead to hot and cold spells, and a significant portion of offense needs to come from transition - which, again, is fine and good but it doesn't make for great x's and o's basketball.

If it is so simplistic, then why are they in the Finals for the 3rd year in a row. It is good basketball, it creates wins. Isn't that what good basketball is?

flea
06-07-2013, 05:23 PM
If it is so simplistic, then why are they in the Finals for the 3rd year in a row. It is good basketball, it creates wins. Isn't that what good basketball is?

Because they have the best player on the planet, a very athletic team that is pretty dominant defensively and in transition, and they have very good 3 point shooting.

kdspurman
06-07-2013, 05:23 PM

Good basketball & creating wins is not always what people would call entertaining and flashy. Trust me, I know. (though I think many people, enjoy watching Miami)

ChitownBears22
06-07-2013, 05:24 PM
Because they have the best player on the planet, a very athletic team that is pretty dominant defensively and in transition, and they have very good 3 point shooting.

So a well rounded team is not pure basketball?

bucketss
06-07-2013, 05:30 PM
basketball purist are just hipsters that think they know basketball.

flea
06-07-2013, 05:42 PM
So a well rounded team is not pure basketball?

I wouldn't call the Heat a well-rounded team. But nobody is saying they aren't good. They've been in the finals 3 years in a row - obviously they're a very good team. Are you just being deliberately obtuse?

ChitownBears22
06-07-2013, 05:47 PM
I wouldn't call the Heat a well-rounded team. But nobody is saying they aren't good. They've been in the finals 3 years in a row - obviously they're a very good team. Are you just being deliberately obtuse?

How is a team that has been to the finals 3 years in a row. Are a top efficiency team. Top 5 defensive top 5 offensive team. Not considered well rounded? They do everything relatively well, and most things they are top 5 in the NBA.

DiscoHayes
06-07-2013, 05:54 PM
I'm still watching some of the re-cap that game had me on the edge of my seat

flea
06-07-2013, 06:03 PM
How is a team that has been to the finals 3 years in a row. Are a top efficiency team. Top 5 defensive top 5 offensive team. Not considered well rounded? They do everything relatively well, and most things they are top 5 in the NBA.
Very light on big men. Lucky for them Lebron is the best player in the game and has a power forward's body, but that doesn't change the fact that their second best post player is Birdman.

Mr_Jones
06-07-2013, 06:04 PM
A close game is a close game, and usually they're enjoyable to watch, but that doesn't mean that I'd like to watch Miami play over Indiana or Chicago. Those two teams are real basketball teams, I'd take that over the new, flashy and dumbed-down NBA any day.

TeamSeattle
06-07-2013, 06:09 PM
A close game is a close game, and usually they're enjoyable to watch, but that doesn't mean that I'd like to watch Miami play over Indiana or Chicago. Those two teams are real basketball teams, I'd take that over the new, flashy and dumbed-down NBA any day.

Yep. Traditional lineups. Traditional big men. Players who don't just live off athleticism and have high bball I.Q.

That's a glimpse of pure bball

Big Zo
06-07-2013, 06:10 PM
basketball purist are just hipsters that think they know basketball.

Exactly. These are the same people that will always say things like: "The book was better than the movie."

ChitownBears22
06-07-2013, 06:11 PM

The Bulls of the 90's weren't flashy? The Showtime Lakers weren't flashy?

Just because you have athletic players doesn't mean you are just a flashy team. Yes they have some highlight plays, but their offense isn't just lob passes and dunks. They run intricate sets, push the ball in transition, ETC. Just like every other generation of ball. Indy lacks a bench, yeah that is a real basketball team. Chicago lacked depth and were full of injuries, I bet that would have made for a great finals series.

KnickaBocka.44
06-07-2013, 06:47 PM

Rebounding.

ChitownBears22
06-07-2013, 06:53 PM
Rebounding.

Well when you force a lot of turnovers and force teams to use the entire shotclock you tend to have less opprotunities to rebound.

Right.

Hawkeye15
06-07-2013, 06:59 PM
never understood the term, "basketball purist".

D-Leethal
06-07-2013, 07:21 PM
never understood the term, "basketball purist".

I think its pretty much selfless basketball, 5-as-1 no ego's involved, stuff that your casual fan probably won't enjoy but someone who understands the game and appreciates the team concept salivates over. I think some people think it means you can't have flash or you have to be boring which is complete hogwash. I think Miami fits the bill as good as anyone. I was one who said as a basketball purist Miami vs Spurs is as good as it gets.

TeamSeattle
06-07-2013, 07:28 PM
I think its pretty much selfless basketball, 5-as-1 no ego's involved, stuff that your casual fan probably won't enjoy but someone who understands the game and appreciates the team concept salivates over. I think some people think it means you can't have flash or you have to be boring which is complete hogwash. I think Miami fits the bill as good as anyone. I was one who said as a basketball purist Miami vs Spurs is as good as it gets.

Miami is the casual fans dream, your contradicting yourself here.

ChitownBears22
06-07-2013, 07:30 PM

Why can't they be both. Weren't the 90's Bulls a casual fans dream as well. The Showtime Lakers?

IndyRealist
06-07-2013, 08:39 PM
Miami brought this on themselves with all that "positionless basketall" nonsense. It was a load of bs. Obviously people were going to call them out on it.

D-Leethal
06-07-2013, 08:43 PM

Not at all. There are teams who can overlap. Miami has flash but they are as selfless a team as it gets. They can appease the casual fans who want to see high flying dunks and they can appease the basketball purist who wants to see teamwork on defense (best help defending and trap team in the league) and selfless offense (the most unselfish superstar to a fault sometimes, collective basketball IQ off the charts, great drive + kick + swing game with tons of ball movement).

JerseyPalahniuk
06-07-2013, 09:16 PM
Lebron's first year on the Heat they were the opposite of "pure basketball" - I'm sure you guys remember how every time Lebron/Wade got the ball they would just call ISO. They've definitely evolved towards a more "pure" (if you mean unselfish) attitude but not "traditional" (in the sense that they don't rely on big men in the post as much as the past).

As a fan of the game, I think this is the best matchup we could have seen. Much better than ISO Thunder.

Hawkeye15
06-07-2013, 09:45 PM

as I said, I don't get the term. Its subjective, so not worthy of universal acceptance.

KingPosey
06-07-2013, 10:21 PM
I hate hearing that, because the HEAT are an athletic team doesn't mean they're not fundamentally sound.. Lebron has about as good of vision as anyone in the league and always makes sound efficient passes. Lebron also has great footwork in the post and is a good deep ball shooter.. Bosh is a good shooter and has some post moves as well. They wouldn't be in the finals if they weren't fundamentally sound.i agree LBJ is super sound but I think he has a lot of work to do when it comes to his footwork.

RiceOnTheRun
06-08-2013, 01:45 AM
Miami brought this on themselves with all that "positionless basketall" nonsense. It was a load of bs. Obviously people were going to call them out on it.

I don't understand your point. It's what's best for the team so what's wrong with it. If they tried to match up with the Pacers position by position they'd get dominated.

Hibbert > Anyone the Heat has
West > Bosh in that series by far
George < James
Stephenson > Wade, Wade was non-existant till that last game
Hill = Chalmers

Hibbert would straight-up dominate them if they tried to match the Pacers. Spreading the floor is their game and to do that, they can't stick to the traditional line ups.

amos1er
06-08-2013, 06:14 AM
Heat and Spurs are the match up I wanted to see. Especially since last season...The match up Stern didn't want to happen...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hjxFgXse5oo

NYKalltheway
06-08-2013, 08:34 AM

I guess that makes me a "purist" too lol. Wtf with those groupings :laugh2:

eso
06-08-2013, 09:02 AM
Shouldn't it just be the best 2 teams in the finals?

Chitownhero1992
06-08-2013, 04:48 PM
Honestly no Game 1 really wasn't that entertaining besides when the Spurs had the ball and worked it around to find the offensive man. Spurs, Bulls, Pacers were the most pure basketball teams strict defense and work the ball around on offense. Flashy teams is a new age thing (besides the showtime lakers!).

Basketball has become a street sport where all guys want to do is run and gun, dunk and play as fast as possible like the Heat and many other teams in the NBA. THe NBA is not real basketball, Euro Ball is closer to pure basketball, College is still the purest but it is being changed too.

THe NBA sets too many rules to change it 24sec Shot Clock, 8 sec to get ball over half, no/limited Zone Defense, Defensive 3 Seconds, etc...these rules have all killed the game of Pure Basketball...

ChitownBears22
06-08-2013, 05:00 PM
Honestly no Game 1 really wasn't that entertaining besides when the Spurs had the ball and worked it around to find the offensive man. Spurs, Bulls, Pacers were the most pure basketball teams strict defense and work the ball around on offense. Flashy teams is a new age thing (besides the showtime lakers!).

Basketball has become a street sport where all guys want to do is run and gun, dunk and play as fast as possible like the Heat and many other teams in the NBA. THe NBA is not real basketball, Euro Ball is closer to pure basketball, College is still the purest but it is being changed too.

THe NBA sets too many rules to change it 24sec Shot Clock, 8 sec to get ball over half, no/limited Zone Defense, Defensive 3 Seconds, etc...these rules have all killed the game of Pure Basketball...

Then you failed to watch the game. Miami ran very intricate plays on offense, played great defense, and really wasn't that flashy. They are flashy if all you watch is a 1 minute recap on ESPN because those are the only plays they show. IF you actually watch them you will realize that is not really the case.

Chitownhero1992
06-08-2013, 05:35 PM
Then you failed to watch the game. Miami ran very intricate plays on offense, played great defense, and really wasn't that flashy. They are flashy if all you watch is a 1 minute recap on ESPN because those are the only plays they show. IF you actually watch them you will realize that is not really the case.

To be honest all I caught was the last 14:30 in the game, and all I saw was Miami trying to run and stay ahead of San Antonio until Spurs took the lead and then Miami or I should say LeBron was trying to play catch up and I have never liked 1 on 1 or better yet 1 on 5 basketball it isn't basketball...and eveytime I see Miami that is what I see. Maybe the first 3 quarters they played slowed down and ran plays but not for the 4th that I saw.

ChitownBears22
06-08-2013, 05:50 PM
To be honest all I caught was the last 14:30 in the game, and all I saw was Miami trying to run and stay ahead of San Antonio until Spurs took the lead and then Miami or I should say LeBron was trying to play catch up and I have never liked 1 on 1 or better yet 1 on 5 basketball it isn't basketball...and eveytime I see Miami that is what I see. Maybe the first 3 quarters they played slowed down and ran plays but not for the 4th that I saw.

Wow you made a judgement off such a small sample. At least you are honest about how much of the game you watch. Most people would just lie and say they saw it and state their preconcieved opinion. I would recommend watching the next game in full, two great offenses and defenses battling it out. Very little ISO

bucketss
06-08-2013, 06:03 PM

you didn't watch i can tell, lebron tried to play catch up? dude was passive as **** i wish lebron played 1 on 5, miami would have probably won.