PDA

View Full Version : What if KG was drafted by and played his entire career in SA( intead of Duncan).....

elledaddy
06-06-2013, 05:19 PM
So the the full question is...

-What if KG was drafted by and played his entire career in SA( intead of Duncan) would he be considered the greatest PF of all-time?????

Now Im not saying KG is better than Dunk BUT I perfer KG's game over Duncan's.I just always thought KG was better personally. They are very very close in most statistical categories career wise overall, with the main difference being rings.

So for the sake of this topic, if KG would have came to a team lead by David Robinson and Greg Popovich instead of Flip Saunders and JR Rider........ would he be the viewed as the BEST EVER? Would SA have the same success?

PS. ... Im at work so my bad if it reads a little choppy, im SNEAKIN

TrueFan420
06-06-2013, 05:29 PM
This has been long debate but no Duncan was and is better. He stepped his game up to another level in the playoffs that kg has never reached.

Spurs365
06-06-2013, 05:39 PM
There's no doubt kg is one of the most talented pf's to play the game. However Duncan was a dominant presence and a great fit in the spurs system. IMO Duncan
Is better than kg overall and spurs wouldn't have been as successful.

Joshtd1
06-06-2013, 05:44 PM
Fortunately we will never know. I would imagine Pop would probably change the offense since KG wasn't as a dominant downlow player like Duncan, but the defense would still be there. We never know if Manu or TP get drafted either based on potentially where the Spurs would be drafting since we don't know how it would have turned out with KG.

bagwell368
06-06-2013, 05:52 PM
This has been long debate but no Duncan was and is better. He stepped his game up to another level in the playoffs that kg has never reached.

Really? Celts 2007-08?

Minny averaged 10 less wins a year during the years KG was there, so instead of playing 7's and 8's like SAS they were playing 3's. Don't you think it's harder to be good against better teams with a lesser cast? Any answer other than "yes" proves that the person answering is a Timmy rump swab or doesn't know the game - at all.

bagwell368
06-06-2013, 05:53 PM
There's no doubt kg is one of the most talented pf's to play the game. However Duncan was a dominant presence and a great fit in the spurs system. IMO Duncan
Is better than kg overall and spurs wouldn't have been as successful.

Typical Spurs fan. Don't anybody call the Celts card on me - I dislike Rondo very much and I'm not big PP fan either.

Chronz
06-06-2013, 05:58 PM
Duncan needs less help to win and could D up Shaq sometimes. KG couldnt check Shaq = less of a factor vs LA.

ILLUSIONIST^248
06-06-2013, 06:15 PM
He would be considered the best PF of all time. Duncan gets a little to much credit for the super teams he's always had. I would like to have seen Duncan play on a **** Minnesota team year after year.

LAKobeBryant
06-06-2013, 06:19 PM
furthest he got in timberwolves days were the west finals.

elledaddy
06-06-2013, 06:20 PM
Duncan needs less help to win and could D up Shaq sometimes. KG couldnt check Shaq = less of a factor vs LA.

I dont think that would really be a big deal. SA always kept a big next to Duncan so he D " smaller, softer" players. He's had.....
D ROB
Rasho Nesterovic
Mahinmi
Francisco Elson
Fabrico Oberto
Kevin Willis
Splitter
etc........ KG would have had the same people to help him hide from Shaq

elledaddy
06-06-2013, 06:21 PM
Double post

Spurs365
06-06-2013, 06:24 PM
I'm giving kg credit, he was a great player in his time and never had the opportunity to play with the talent that Duncan has (until he went to the celtics). Kg could have done a lot more in the earlier stages of his career if he had more talent around him. But you can't deny how dominant Duncan was in his prime tho.

ManRam
06-06-2013, 06:28 PM
TD is better than KG individually, but it is a good example of how much rings can spread the gap between two players of almost equal talents. We'd look at KG a hell of a lot better if you swapped him for Duncan, for sure. Team success wasn't ever gonna happen in Minny, and much of that wasn't his fault.

TrueFan420
06-06-2013, 06:41 PM
Really? Celts 2007-08?

Minny averaged 10 less wins a year during the years KG was there, so instead of playing 7's and 8's like SAS they were playing 3's. Don't you think it's harder to be good against better teams with a lesser cast? Any answer other than "yes" proves that the person answering is a Timmy rump swab or doesn't know the game - at all.
In the second round when Timmy was playing higher seeds and in the finals he took his game to another level. Kg was on of the greatest pf all time no doubt but Duncan was just better. As someone else said kg wouldn't have been able to be la like Duncan did.

RiceOnTheRun
06-06-2013, 06:54 PM
Everyone saying KG wouldn't fit into the system. There would be a completely different system, because KG would play a different way than Duncan and Pop is a great enough coach to change his system for that. If they're as successful, we'll never know. But they would've had similar regular season results that's for sure.

Chronz
06-06-2013, 07:32 PM
I dont think that would really be a big deal. SA always kept a big next to Duncan so he D " smaller, softer" players. He's had.....
D ROB
Rasho Nesterovic
Mahinmi
Francisco Elson
Fabrico Oberto
Kevin Willis
Splitter
etc........ KG would have had the same people to help him hide from Shaq

I dont know how big of a deal it would be, but it would be a factor. The Spurs definitely made sure to give Duncan ample help to defend Shaq, no disagreement there. But in the D-Rob days when Rose was around or later when Horry played big minutes with Duncan, they needed their star PF to somewhat neutralize the behemoth in LA, Duncan was far better at that. KG in Minny was like 220 lbs most years, Duncan doesn't just weigh more, but he has a wider frame, a particularly strong lower base. Its hard not to look at him and compare him to centers. In almost any other scenario, hes remembered as a Center. But because of D-Rob and because he would much rather be listed at 6"11 than be known as the 7"fter that he is, hes the GOAT-4.

Put it this way, the same emphasis the Spurs put on having someone to keep Duncan off of Shaq, is the same emphasis the TWolves had for KG guarding Tim Duncan. Ervin Johnson was a key player for them for that very reason. They were (foolishly) hoping Kandi-man was the answer.

mrblisterdundee
06-06-2013, 08:16 PM

Ditto. I also think Chris Webber would have been a nice fit on the Spurs, although he's not as good defensively.

bagwell368
06-06-2013, 08:35 PM
In the second round when Timmy was playing higher seeds and in the finals he took his game to another level. Kg was on of the greatest pf all time no doubt but Duncan was just better. As someone else said kg wouldn't have been able to be la like Duncan did.

Minny still sucked EVERY YEAR next to SAS, factor that out.

DoMeFavors
06-06-2013, 08:41 PM
I prefer KG's emotion towards the game over Duncans

FOXHOUND
06-06-2013, 08:42 PM
Then Minny would have probably won a ring in 2004 and San Antonio would probably have one or two fewer.

b@llhog24
06-06-2013, 08:44 PM
He would be considered the best PF of all time. Duncan gets a little to much credit for the super teams he's always had. I would like to have seen Duncan play on a **** Minnesota team year after year.

Dear Lord.

Delrayhc
06-06-2013, 08:56 PM

Another reason as to why your an idiot. You can say that about ..... Magic jordan kg bird mchale lebron kobe blah blah ect. Your not a nba fan you only worship one.

Jarvo
06-06-2013, 09:04 PM
Duncan > KG

Hawkeye15
06-06-2013, 09:05 PM
Long story short, I was 19 when the Wolves drafted KG, and for the first 10 years of his career, thought he was as good as Duncan, Timmy just had the help, and if you switched them, the Spurs wouldn't have missed a beat. Then I started to think deeper, and realize the makeup of each franchise would probably allow my statement to be true, but that is because the Spurs would have built a little bit different around KG, than they did Duncan. Eventually, I realized that I was being a homer, and Tim was simply the better player, even if it was by a slim margin. But, at the end of the day, multiple rings will make the actual, REAL gap between the two greater than it is. And that is fair.

TrueFan420
06-06-2013, 09:05 PM
Minny still sucked EVERY YEAR next to SAS, factor that out.

I'd my point was to counter your argument about kg facing higher seeds so I compared Duncan against higher seed in later rounds of playoffs. Duncan would straight up dominate games on both sides of the ball. His individual stats jumped up in the post season. His individual stats were better than kg.

Hawkeye15
06-06-2013, 09:06 PM
Dear Lord.

he thinks any star that wins has a super team outside the Kobster

ewing
06-06-2013, 09:17 PM
Long story short, I was 19 when the Wolves drafted KG, and for the first 10 years of his career, thought he was as good as Duncan, Timmy just had the help, and if you switched them, the Spurs wouldn't have missed a beat. Then I started to think deeper, and realize the makeup of each franchise would probably allow my statement to be true, but that is because the Spurs would have built a little bit different around KG, than they did Duncan. Eventually, I realized that I was being a homer, and Tim was simply the better player, even if it was by a slim margin. But, at the end of the day, multiple rings will make the actual, REAL gap between the two greater than it is. And that is fair.

good honest answer Hawk

LongWayFromHome
06-06-2013, 09:32 PM
You could honestly say this about anybody. Pretty much any player drafted and playing with the Spurs would be better than in their other situation. Imagine if Wade had the coaching Parker has had.

JerseyPalahniuk
06-06-2013, 09:48 PM

Clicked on this to see your answer. Great answer. I don't need to read future posts in this thread.

Hawkeye15
06-06-2013, 10:06 PM
Clicked on this to see your answer. Great answer. I don't need to read future posts in this thread.

Its difficult being a fan of a poorly run team, which I am. Sure we get something right here and there, but it never comes together. I have no doubt Buford and company would have been able to build around KG, even a a very slightly less player, and win some chips. If you flipped them both, Duncan is ringless, my teams front office has just been subpar. Forever.

Kashmir13579
06-06-2013, 10:06 PM
San Antonio doesn't employ scumbags.